Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Oh I'm totally aware that it was 99% a coincidence, since iirc Shard's look was more based off of a Rivals outfit for Metal. But the similarity, coincidence or not, existed, which meant serving as a sort of expy was a little easier to theorize

But, if we have Breezie serving as a partial replacement for Mogul, then having Gemerl isn't too much of a stretch. Just don't ask Ian, as he'd probably have to stay mum on it, lest he risk the wrath of various others. Besides, (and I know I'm being mildly hypocritical here) we really should probably stop waiting for every bit of the old reality we liked to get a replacement.  

As for the Origins preview, Well, looks like I'm picking that up, because I'm intrigued for Snively's excuses/etc on his past. And I like that his old (classic SatAM?) design is used for his past. It suggests that 1) he really can't grow hair on the top of his head anymore and 2) he grew the mustache/beard to visually break from his past, even if it's just a facade for GUN

I have no opinion on Madonna. She was scrapped in concept, so there isn't much to deviate from. Maybe one of the more "cartoony" artists will give her a face more like her concept art, if she returns much. Nice to see GUN getting some actual names/faces in their ranks lately, regardless. 

I think I see Sticks in that final panel you posted, where Sonic Man and M'egga Man are looking at a portal with two silhouettes emerging out of it.

Actually that seems to be more them seeing each other. I remember in a spoiler pic Eggman told Willy that if M'egga Man saw Sonic Man they'd turn on each other, and Willy was going to do the same with Sonic Man.

Hmm... Am I the only person who saw those pics from Part 3 and

got a bit of a Shard vibe from Gemerl? I'm personally okay with that. Shard kinda had a bit of Gemerl in him anyway (mostly the "enemy robot rebuilt/revived to serve the good guys" thing and the color scheme), so since we can't have an actual Shard (sadly), Gemerl is a more than sufficient "replacement" imo. Now I really want this issue, darn it.

Honestly, that just upsets me of the whole ordeal that lead to him getting replaced.

Not complaining about Gemerl replacing Shard, mind you. That I'm perfectly cool with. But that just served to remind me of the whole ridiculousness of the case involved.

But it's great we're getting Gemerl in some form, so that makes up for it.

As for Madonna? I kinda like her as a GUN agent more than her being a simple love interest. Gives her revival (well, in so much as her actually being put to use) some agency and more potential. Now I want to see her in action! I just love these nods getting even more milage than they originally did than simple backgrounds and one-shots, so here's hoping we see more of her.

Eh, kinda neutral on Madonna/Not!Topaz, I never cared about the former and the latter was only interesting when she interacted with Rouge. That said, that leaves an opportunity for that down the road...no seriously, I would legit buy a Rouge and Madonna arc, it'd be great.

Oh and...crossover things...I guess. This is nowhere near as exciting as Collide honestly, I don't know why.

Kinda iffy on Madonna's design. She looks like she just popped out of a Resident Evil game, and I don't think it gels very well with most of the other designs.

Eeh, it's more down to the art style. Unlike Von Schlemmer, the proportions are roughly the same as the original, so any cartoonyness will go down to how the artist portrays her. As for the Resident Evil-ness, well, it's GUN. They're Tacticool.

As for being Madonna in name only, so far this isn't a case like Breezie where the character was altered to the core. We knew of Madonna, she was a singer, she was kind of almost a flapper, appeared a bit vain. I can see that working with this- give her a uniform and put her working, she's serious soldier. Shift's up time for a few drinks at the local bar looking pretty.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well now that off-panel about Madonna refusing to do a skit with Rouge makes sense.

Eeh, it's more down to the art style. Unlike Von Schlemmer, the proportions are roughly the same as the original, so any cartoonyness will go down to how the artist portrays her. As for the Resident Evil-ness, well, it's GUN. They're Tacticool.

As for being Madonna in name only, so far this isn't a case like Breezie where the character was altered to the core. We knew of Madonna, she was a singer, she was kind of almost a flapper, appeared a bit vain. I can see that working with this- give her a uniform and put her working, she's serious soldier. Shift's up time for a few drinks at the local bar looking pretty.

While Mysterion is prepping that, let's have some non-Worlds Unite preview pages.

SonicSuperDigest_12-0.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-2.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-3.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-8.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-9.jpg

SonicSuperDigest_12-10.jpg

Seems perfectly fine to me. If anything the beard may be throwing you off.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really don't know about this redesigns...I mean, I know they're trying to make every character feel like they come from the same universe but...I mean, Professor Pickle is still cartoony, I really don't get why they felt like turning Professor Von Schl...schelm...schlemmel...that guy into what it's essentially a more serious version of the character, and to turn Madonna into a G.U.N agent.

Then again, with Madonna they're allowed to cheat a little, the character was non-existent before this. And I like that this Madonna Garnet is a composite character leaning heavily on the Topaz side, since she was one of my favourite original characters from the X series, alongside Cosmo, Mr. Tanaka, Sam Speed and the baseball character that befriended Knuckles.

Just...next time you bring another Aosth character in the mix, remember that he's from Aosth. And that I'd fucking love to see Caninestein once again. That guy was a cute dog, I like cute dogs.

So, there are supposedly three characters that influenced Madonna: Madonna, Topaz, and who?

Well. There's different levels of cartoony. 

I mean, Professor Pickle looks like this:

Pickle,_Professor.png

Yes, he's cartoony but he still has some realistic proportions to him. It's just the right amount to fit into the Sonic universe, especially Sega!Sonic and Archie!Sonic.

In contrast, Adventures of Sonic was completely over the top with it's cartoony-ness and it's designs look like something right out of Ren & Stimpy rather than a Sonic the Hedgehog game. For example:

char_67652.jpg

...and I don't understand why you keep comparing him to Professor Pickle. As I said, Professor Pickle at least had a few human like proportions and designs. Von Schlemmer is just totally over the top with his teeth that's all over the place, his crazy orange hair making him the bride of Frankenstein, and just an all around wonky design.

Professor Pickle and the G.U.N agents were standard for humans and android like characters by Shadow the Hedgehog, same way as the updated Sega!Sonic designs were standard for Hedgehog characters, which is why Breezie, Von Schlemmer, and Madonna got all these updated looks. To better fit into the current standard for Sonic designs. That's the way I see it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well. There's different levels of cartoony. 

I mean, Professor Pickle looks like this:

Pickle,_Professor.png

Yes, he's cartoony but he still has some realistic proportions to him. It's just the right amount to fit into the Sonic universe, especially Sega!Sonic and Archie!Sonic.

In contrast, Adventures of Sonic was completely over the top with it's cartoony-ness and it's designs look like something right out of Ren & Stimpy rather than a Sonic the Hedgehog game. For example:

char_67652.jpg

...and I don't understand why you keep comparing him to Professor Pickle. As I said, Professor Pickle at least had a few human like proportions and designs. Von Schlemmer is just totally over the top with his teeth that's all over the place, his crazy orange hair making him the bride of Frankenstein, and just an all around wonky design.

Professor Pickle and the G.U.N agents were standard for humans and android like characters by Shadow the Hedgehog, same way as the updated Sega!Sonic designs were standard for Hedgehog characters, which is why Breezie, Von Schlemmer, and Madonna got all these updated looks. To better fit into the current standard for Sonic designs. That's the way I see it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

In fairness even the original Von Schlemmer looked closer to the SEGA style than what the comics used. Hell Madonna and Topaz fit more than the new version of her. They've just exacerbated the problem rather than translating them any better.

Okay, so we get Sticks, Fastidious, and Comedy Chimp. All the Boom Team has to deal with are the Lightning Dolts, their Eggman, and the Gogobas. At least they're not involved in the crossover, where they could've caused a dimensional paradox that would tear the worlds apart, and be just the thing they need to save the multiverse, and keep everything isolated for good.

Well now that off-panel about Madonna refusing to do a skit with Rouge makes sense.

Actually I asked Jon Gray about that. There was a in his words "Risqué" joke that actually did get pulled.

Actually I asked Jon Gray about that. There was a in his words "Risqué" joke that actually did get pulled.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so we get Sticks, Fastidious, and Comedy Chimp. All the Boom Team has to deal with are the Lightning Dolts, their Eggman, and the Gogobas. At least they're not involved in the crossover, where they could've caused a dimensional paradox that would tear the worlds apart, and be just the thing they need to save the multiverse, and keep everything isolated for good.

Acting like the new Von Schlemmer is some hyper realistic human is really disingenuous. He still has weird teeth, a humongous nose, and they even ADDED nonhuman elements.

And again, I'm not seeing how Madonna looks any different from Topaz or Tower.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tower looks like Topaz?

tumblr_nphpoqaEen1r1alb2o1_400.jpg

It might just be Evan Stanley's style, but I'm not seeing it at all.

The earrings are pretty similar, though.