Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

So after Unleashed, what happens next? Lost World? Although that looks like it may be encompassed in the Unleashed arc. At this point we might as well not call it and Unleashed arc seeing as it has absorbed the storyline of Sonic the Fighters and now a second crossover into it's web.

I know Flynn's said that he has plans to do a Lost World arc (Which he said will be shorter then Unleashed IIRC). I'd hope it'll be after Unleashed and Ian's just using Worlds Unite to introduce the Lost World elements into continuity so that half the works already done.

still thinking we might get a sonic dark brotherhood story arc at some point in the future (after the new cannons gotten settled down after the ken penders fiasco of course) and if they do get it in I really hope gemerl gets written in to the story

also as far as Madonna's new look in the comics goes for me all I can say is that her comic design reminds me of sergeant Calhoun  from wreck it ralph

other wise I don't care to much

Even as someone who finds most of the mandates reasonable, this one concerning the classic designs seems off, especially since it's not even consistent about what it restricts. They already used the classic designs for flashbacks, unless SEGA got upset about their usage between now and then. That said not even indicating ageing seems a tad weird. We've seen baby versions of Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse in cartoons and comics before, why is Sonic and co's image so sacred and untouchable? I mean, do they intend to do a 'Baby Sonic' game and not want it to clash?

Because SEGA says so.

That's really the only reason. We'll just have to accept that apparently Eggman built both the Death Egg and his Egg Carriers in a week if you want to fit all the games in one year.

Even as someone who finds most of the mandates reasonable, this one concerning the classic designs seems off, especially since it's not even consistent about what it restricts. They already used the classic designs for flashbacks, unless SEGA got upset about their usage between now and then. That said not even indicating ageing seems a tad weird. We've seen baby versions of Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse in cartoons and comics before, why is Sonic and co's image so sacred and untouchable?

I guess because age factors into Sonic's character of being perceived as cool by his target audience. Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny are adults, and ones who generally have the whole family in mind (sometimes children if it's one of those Disney Junior shows for the former), so it's more expected for them to be shown as aging since it's more family-relatable and they don't have cred to lose from it. Sonic is a teenager aimed at tween boys. The stereotype is that they don't want to see cutesy stuff, so younger versions (especially baby versions) are out of the question*. The Freedom Fighters aren't part of that, so they have more freedom to show their youth.

*Plus the times it's been done by the Western cartoons ranged from ridiculous to horrifying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even as someone who finds most of the mandates reasonable, this one concerning the classic designs seems off, especially since it's not even consistent about what it restricts. They already used the classic designs for flashbacks, unless SEGA got upset about their usage between now and then. That said not even indicating ageing seems a tad weird. We've seen baby versions of Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse in cartoons and comics before, why is Sonic and co's image so sacred and untouchable? I mean, do they intend to do a 'Baby Sonic' game and not want it to clash?

well i only could find a little support on one of the featured fan-arts on Sonic Channel

it was a Baby Sonic like it was in a Photo Album.. the person who featured it.. says it would be fun to see how Sonic grows up..

this is the pic..

http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/fanart/pic/2089.jpg

translated with Google translate:

fan artist description:

Always is a cool sonic cool, but there was of course also this time. It drew on the first page like a feeling of birth album of Sonic by that.

Sonic Happy Birthday! !

translated with Google translate

Comment from the person who decides to feature the fan-art: (i guess)

You have me painted Sonic's childhood! It is this would not be quite unusual in? It is also cute still young state of Sonic.

Even it might be fun to try to imagine a process that grows from here.

Edited by Drawloverlala

*Plus the times it's been done by the Western cartoons ranged from ridiculous to horrifying.

Blast from the Past comes to mind, where Sonic and Sally met their younger selves. Also coming to mind was the ugly as all sin Baby Sonic from Underground, and not the one from the one episode with the robot baby, that one was just demonic.

Character ages are locked in an infinite year. If anything just Assume Generations was like the Sonic of december meeting the Sonic of November. Still the same year, even if Sonic's celebrating his birthday from 15 to 15.

So retarded that Sonic is locked to age restriction, it wouldn't hurt the franchise to have sonic have a younger self and a past and it wouldn't hurt to have him have a future self either.

The restriction just makes things soo unnecessary and complicated then not having one.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I pretend that Infini-Age doesn't exist and replace it with my head canon that the classics take place two years before Adventure.

Sonic 4 makes that slightly more complicated though.

• Thumbs Up 2

In any case, this is why Ian has to dance around showing younger or Classic version of game characters.

Just to ask, did they censor the Countdown to Chaos GN, since it blatantly showed Classic Eggman/Robotnik with Nu!King Acorn in flashback when going over the new history?

I also recall the Breezie flashback during the Fighters arc showed a "younger" Sonic which IIRC had a mix of Classic (proportions) and Modern (green eyes) traits.

well..

one of the mandates said when they'll use classic sonic.. it has to be with green eyes.. if i'm not wrong..

also when Sonic gone out of control with his werehog form and Amy and Sally where trying to calm him down they re-called Sonic adventure events and Sonic and Sally's (suspiciusly) first met.

it appeared Sally with her child vest and Sonic on his classic shape ..

I can understand this cause the who'll Classic and Modern thing is really just a change in artstyle when Adventure started, Sonic has always been the same age in the games.

But what I don't get is why they can't use Amy's Classic dress and hair/spike hair, like that one cover I think it was the first Origin story. Yardley originally drew Amy in her classic hair style, but the final cover was changed. The girl isn't allowed to changed her cloths or something? Shoot they can still keep the green eyes.

Eh, anyway, I wish SEGA would loosen up a little on silly things like this.

Because Classic is its own franchise in terms of marketing, outside of the Generations crossover.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because Classic is its own franchise in terms of marketing, outside of the Generations crossover.

If that's true, then they should make games based on Classic, captalize those who are still refusing to leave the Classic bandwagon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Their interest in keeping it alive is purely on merchandise, though. Which still affects those who have good taste, to put your description another way ;)

If that's true, then they should make games based on Classic, captalize those who are still refusing to leave the Classic bandwagon.

Its Generations that throws everyone. Regardless of if they are separate marketing wise or treated as separate entities normally, it was Generations that cemented what most people had in their heads anyway, that Classic Sonic was Modern Sonic in the past.

When Generations outright says that Classic Sonic and Classic Tails are their modern counterparts from the past, and that Eggman used the Time Eater to travel through time, its pretty easy to see how people can get confused. It may have been a one off combining the two game wise, but people still don't understand why someone like Archie can't then use that same cannon game logic from Generations in the comics to show time has passed, regardless of how much, be it a year or something more substantial.

At this point it seems like the answer may well be what some here have assumed. That Archie only has the rights from Sega to use the "Modern" brand and don't have permission to use the classic designs. Why they can't is anyone's guess tho, perhaps they would have to pay extra licencing fees, perhaps they aren't allowed to create "new" content using the classic licence. There could be numerous reasons, all equally stupid but legally binding >.<

You're overthinking it. It's not that they don't have the rights, it's that SEGA doesn't want more classic material being made outside some basic merchandising stuff like clothes or figures.

That is literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

That'd be like if Nintendo considered the NES and SNES Mario Games different franchises from the 3D games.

Sega is an absolutely ridiculous freaking company I swear.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just to ask, did they censor the Countdown to Chaos GN, since it blatantly showed Classic Eggman/Robotnik with Nu!King Acorn in flashback when going over the new history?

Nope. Classic Eggman is still there with zero censorship.

That is literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

That'd be like if Nintendo considered the NES and SNES Mario Games different franchises from the 3D games.

Sega is an absolutely ridiculous freaking company I swear.

Is it?

Marketing and merchandise-wise, Ducktales is not the same as Barks' Scrooge McDuck comics. Is still literally the stupidest thing you've ever heard in your years of life (indicating some sheltering, if this is literally the stupidest you've heard)?