Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Sonic brings in way more numbers than Mega Man does.

Main series Sonic does. I'm pretty sure Universe's numbers were more or less at the same number than Mega Man's when sales figures were printed in the book a while ago. I could be wrong, but I think that was it.

Let's look away from the grim future right now and instead look at the...still pretty damn dark present:

gyEh6MM.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's look away from the grim future right now and instead look at the...still pretty damn dark present:

gyEh6MM.jpg

Wow. They're certainly following onto the darker tones from Lost World. I don't care if Mega Man is a robot,

Zik basically forced Mega Man to shoot himself in the head with a fully charged shot.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Sonic doesn't reach Issue #300 I'm going to be very disappointed.

With Sonic Boom and Mega Man ending, I would hardly see the main comic series ending for sometime now since for the new Unleashed related story. But if it does, I'll be disappointed myself too. Having collecting since #225 made me have a huge hobby for the comics and beyond for anyone at this time and I don't want this to fade into darkness with many others.

With Sonic Boom and Mega Man ending, I would hardly see the main comic series ending for sometime now since for the new Unleashed related story. But if it does, I'll be disappointed myself too. Having collecting since #225 made me have a huge hobby for the comics and beyond for anyone at this time and I don't want this to fade into darkness with many others.

I thought MM was on a hiatus. (I didn't know comics go on hiatusus too).

gyEh6MM.jpg

Welp, it looked like Mega Man shot himself, but it was Zik with the help of that suit.

That gave me a scare. Imagine what will happen to Sonic... :blink:

That gave me a scare. Imagine what will happen to Sonic...  :blink:

I doubt it can be as brutal as

Zik forcing Mega Man to shoot himself in the head, with a fully charged shot no less. It's even made worse when Zazz laughes and make a jesting motion about it.

But it also shows me one other thing. It means Sigma hasn't overwritten their personalities or taken full control over them. Zazz is clearly still acting crazy and making joking gestures over something horrible that's happened. Which means the D6's personalities are in tact, just bent to Sigma's will.

I wonder if this means in the Sonic Battles issue, will the others show their personalities, like Zeena acting like a brat about actually having to work. That said, Sonic didn't actually face the Deadly Six at once, which means it's very likely Zeena, Zavok, and Zor will be enough to overpower him, especially when they are the powered up armor and the element of surprise on their side. 

gyEh6MM.jpg

yeeeeah, I sort of wasn't joking about that hard core thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't this Universe would even work with a relaunch. Mega Man is one long narrative that can potential spruce up the story with such a thing (even if I don't think that was the intention of the hiatus). Sonic Universe is basically Sonic: the disconnected stuff we can't tell in the main narrative. Aside from the Dark arc the arcs are unconnected. and would have zero benefit to gain from a relaunch.

Also, since I think the spoiler is narmtastic, a little stuff under the spoiler;

I can totally imagine Zik just doing it over and over on Zazz's request so the latter can go "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!"

The hell happened to the art in that panel?

Oh, and nobody thought to bring Hide and Seek? How inconsiderate.

Hmm.... Okay. It seems stupid, but if there isn't an "indefinite" in front of that hiatus, then I suppose there can be a little hope. Annoying that they haven't announced a return date, since you can stretch a hiatus to decades...

Conspiracy theory time: Looking upon both Marvel & DC, Archie, in the midst of rebooting their main titles, is going to subtly reboot all the Archie Action titles. Knowing that they can't stop Sonic outright for a long period of time, they'll do what they did with Wonder Woman in reverse, and fade the nearly #280 title into a new #1. So new #1s for Sonic, Universe, Boom, & Mega Man.

It's dumb, and not realistic, but it's something I just thought of like most conspiracy theories.

I don't think it's out there, but if Archie never committed to renumbering Sonic when they actually could have, I'm not sure either Sonic book is in any immediate danger of that. That, and I feel like Archie didn't renumber for at least two reasons: to not cause some kind of panic after the results of the lawsuit, and to hold onto Sonic's record (even though looking at everything, Archie's produced well over 300 comics all linked to the main book alone).

Mega Man probably will get a relaunch, though, even though I'm personally not fond of that approach. Out of curiosity, when you say "fade in" do you mean the issues would be referred to internally as the next issue (say #281 to use your example) but still renumbered to #1?

Ok now that I've finally got my thoughts together. All I have to say is what the heck is going on at Archie lately? It can't just be the kickstarter cancellation theres more to that. As somebody who doesn't care about Sonic Boom(and at this point its common knowledge) I felt bad for the fans of it. Mega Man being on hiatus just ticked me the hell off. This comic is what got me into the franchise and got me to play the games so hear that just broke my heart. Its even worse when you think about since its happening after worlds unite. I dread hearing the word "Hiatus' from Archie because only God knows when's the next its coming back. I can list 3 books right off my head that have gone on hiatus. 

1) New Crusaders- A book that was digital in early 2012 and got physical releases back later that year. Then it went on hiatus back in February of 2013 and we were promised that it would return in the spring of that year it didn't instead we had to wait until this year for it to come back but instead of being a physical release its now back to being a digital book(which actually came out today). The ironic thing about this is that this was also written by Ian Flynn

2) Afterlife With Archie- If anybody has been following the company you'd know how successful this book is. It even outsold Sonic which is saying something because that has been the companies biggest seller for 20 years and as soon as the 6th issue was released they released the trade containing the first 5(or six) issues. So for some odd reason they decided to put the book on hiatus for some reason and and it didn't comeback until this past April or Last month(I haven't heard anything since)

3) The chilling tales of Sabrina- Yeah this released back in October of last year and despite the first issue selling and getting critical praise it went on hiatus till April of this year.

I really don't get them now. If they needed to put some books on hiatus they might as well just end the super special magazines or digits since they have no reason being here now and you can tell that they are running out of stuff to reprint. They're not the only ones who have done this since IDW and Boom seem to doing it with their own license properties as well 

• Thumbs Up 2

If memory serves, they also said the old Manga Sabrina was only on hiatus way back when...

Ok now that I've finally got my thoughts together. All I have to say is what the heck is going on at Archie lately? It can't just be the kickstarter cancellation theres more to that. As somebody who doesn't care about Sonic Boom(and at this point its common knowledge) I felt bad for the fans of it. Mega Man being on hiatus just ticked me the hell off. This comic is what got me into the franchise and got me to play the games so hear that just broke my heart. Its even worse when you think about since its happening after worlds unite. I dread hearing the word "Hiatus' from Archie because only God knows when's the next its coming back. I can list 3 books right off my head that have gone on hiatus. 

1) New Crusaders- A book that was digital in early 2012 and got physical releases back later that year. Then it went on hiatus back in February of 2013 and we were promised that it would return in the spring of that year it didn't instead we had to wait until this year for it to come back but instead of being a physical release its now back to being a digital book(which actually came out today). The ironic thing about this is that this was also written by Ian Flynn

2) Afterlife With Archie- If anybody has been following the company you'd know how successful this book is. It even outsold Sonic which is saying something because that has been the companies biggest seller for 20 years and as soon as the 6th issue was released they released the trade containing the first 5(or six) issues. So for some odd reason they decided to put the book on hiatus for some reason and and it didn't comeback until this past April or Last month(I haven't heard anything since)

3) The chilling tales of Sabrina- Yeah this released back in October of last year and despite the first issue selling and getting critical praise it went on hiatus till April of this year.

I really don't get them now. If they needed to put some books on hiatus they might as well just end the super special magazines or digits since they have no reason being here now and you can tell that they are running out of stuff to reprint. They're not the only ones who have done this since IDW and Boom seem to doing it with their own license properties as well 

The thing about Afterlife and Sabrina was because the writer admitted the book's just weren't ready. Afterlife had a sketchy schedule already, but Sabrina was launched before subsequent issues were even done, and I can't wrap my head around why Archie didn't wait instead of rushing a Halloween launch for the first issue and then falling off the radar.

Of course, these books are very different cases from Mega Man--the Horror books went on hiatus because they didn't have a choice. Mega Man is being forced on hiatus. It's very strange because there doesn't seem to be a good reason other than to divert some funds from somewhere.

gyEh6MM.jpg

Thank you for those working on the comic once again showing you're not afraid to tread dark waters.

Also, holy shit that is even darker than what was done in Lost Worlds. They delivered more than I expected here.

Wow, shit that crossover is getting dark.

The hell happened to the art in that panel?

What the hell happened to the art of this whole crossover? its soo seriously inconsistant it reminds me of the old days and not in a good way. whats next many hands is going to make a return?!

Oh wait I just remembered why Afterlife was on a longer hiatus. The artist got into a car accident and they wanted him to recover before they would continue. Sabrina's that was really stupid of them 

Out of curiosity, when you say "fade in" do you mean the issues would be referred to internally as the next issue (say #281 to use your example) but still renumbered to #1?

Sort of. DC, before the New 52, had relatively young numbers for Adventure Comics and Wonder Woman. To gain appeal, I guess, they started adding the higher numbers those books had in that volume (so even tho WW.was in its 20's or so, they calculated all her issues to nearly be 600 for the JMS story to start at a huge milestone). Both books would eventually lose their low issue numbers in favor of the higher ones.

My dumb idea is that Archie would do it, but in reverse to appeal to #1 collectors as a part of a company wide restructuring, or whatever.

Oh wait I just remembered why Afterlife was on a longer hiatus. The artist got into a car accident and they wanted him to recover before they would continue. Sabrina's that was really stupid of them

Wait, that's what it was?

I heard it was because the writer was busy writing the script for that new Archie TV series coming up?

Wait, that's what it was?

I heard it was because the writer was busy writing the script for that new Archie TV series coming up?

Oh yeah what happened to that by the way? First there was a cartoon called "It's Archie!" and then that live action one... Uuummmm Archie? What happens to the stuff you announce?? Urgh, I swear the more we talk about this the more I feel IDW should've gotten the Mega Man property, and Archie should've sold Sonic to them as well. There are so many Archie projects that get thrown under the rug for no reason whatsoever. I'm so concerned something will happen with the Sonic books at this point. 

If Ian was the one still writing the comic, along with the same artists etc, I wouldn't mind seeing IDW getting the license...that said though, that's only IF Ian was the one still writing and people like Ben Bates were still drawing for it. If it was a new cast entirely, I wouldn't want to see it happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh yeah what happened to that by the way? First there was a cartoon called "It's Archie!" and then that live action one... Uuummmm Archie? What happens to the stuff you announce?? Urgh, I swear the more we talk about this the more I feel IDW should've gotten the Mega Man property, and Archie should've sold Sonic to them as well. There are so many Archie projects that get thrown under the rug for no reason whatsoever. I'm so concerned something will happen with the Sonic books at this point. 

The show your talking about is "Riverdale". To be honest I don't want IDW touching anything else. Seeing how they pretty much screwed up the Ghosterbusters coming(relaunching it twice and then ending it) and the Cartoon Network stuff. Im kinda tired of IDW getting their hands on every single property now

Hm true. If IDW had Mega Man there's a chance it would be much worse than now. So.. quality art and writing vs a stable publisher... urgh that's a hard choice. But I guess I'd take quality over everything in the end. I'm just so torn this has to happen. Maybe if Archie gave us a reason as to why it's happening, I wouldn't be so stressed out. Do you guys think it's the new editor's fault? If so, I hope, hope, hoooppeeee this is his way of thinking and that it actually works.

Okay, so Archie wants to reboot their series? Okay, if we cut down on Boom and Mega Man and focus on those titles getting out we can later bring back Mega Man after we've ensured profit from these newly rebooted titles. With that income in mind, we can continue Mega Man with no financial worries. Hopefully, if that's how he thinks, then.. it might be okay. Also, if this means the graphic novels will have glossy high quality paper, that would be nice too. As long as the hiatus is temporary. 

Also speaking of graphic novels, does anyone know if the Sonic Archives were affected with the downgrade in paper? Because one of the selling points of those was the high quality paper. In the solicits they'd say they had "grade A paper" or something like that.

Oh and just to clarify something. OF COURSE Archie is moving around the fucking cancellations and hiatuses around in a way to still shit out Graphic Novels. Sonic Boom will be ending on #11, one issue after the crossover, instead of ending right there right then. Why? Because 4 issues are needed for 1 graphic novel, so they'll be putting Sonic Boom #5, #6, #7, and then #11 into one GN. Makes sense considering how unbelievably lackluster the story sounds for a GN (Eggman hires a gorilla. WOW)

Want more proof? After Mega Man's Ultimate Betrayal arc, there's only one issue so clearly that won't be able to fit an entire story. Their solution? Extend Mega Man to #55 in order to have four issues for a Graphic Novel (#49, #53, #54, #55). So despite Archie cancelling this that and the other and putting things on hiatus, they're still trying to cramp stories into Graphic Novels.

I love how in that interview, they try to claim that the Mega Man GNs means they'll still be pumping out Mega Man stories, despite GNs being reprints.

What baffles me is if they wanna hiatus books to help get the new stuff out, why can't they can the books they can afford to lose, like the Super Special, or the Digest, heck, Archie have a massive overabundance of Digests on the stand right now that they could easily ditch.

• Thumbs Up 6