Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

What baffles me is if they wanna hiatus books to help get the new stuff out, why can't they can the books they can afford to lose, like the Super Special, or the Digest, heck, Archie have a massive overabundance of Digests on the stand right now that they could easily ditch.

• Thumbs Up 1

What baffles me is if they wanna hiatus books to help get the new stuff out, why can't they can the books they can afford to lose, like the Super Special, or the Digest, heck, Archie have a massive overabundance of Digests on the stand right now that they could easily ditch.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Super Specials and Digests are totally useless at this point anyway. They used to be great for newer fans because it reprinted stories from all kinds of Sonic eras, from Turnabout is Fair Play to Heart of the Hedgehog. Now it's totally useless if you started from #252 because every fucking story in it is just reprints of the same material and it simply isn't worth it. I wouldn't mind seeing them be erased and having a general Archie Action Super Special or Digest which has Sonic, Sonic Universe, Mega Man, and Sonic Boom stories in them.

About the "starting renumbering when it made sense" thing on Sonic, wasn't that a different editor in charge at the time? Maybe the new guy feels a renumbering would sell the new world better?

About the "starting renumbering when it made sense" thing on Sonic, wasn't that a different editor in charge at the time? Maybe the new guy feels a renumbering would sell the new world better?

It wouldn't make sense now when Archie Sonic has a record for longest Video Game Comic. No point throwing it away for a stupid gimmick.

• Thumbs Up 3

It wouldn't make sense now when Archie Sonic has a record for longest Video Game Comic. No point throwing it away for a stupid gimmick.

Did anyone see issue 50's off panel?

Short_Circuit_50.jpg

Rats! The pic shrank due to size!

Megaman talks about reaching 50 issues, Boom!Knux is confused about how many years it took, gets confused with pies, and annoys Thomas. Boom Sonic tells by the time he figures it out, MM will have 100 issues, and congrats him on this achievement.

I like how they used the Boom characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow in a way it kinda screams "Fuck you lolz" ok Im being way too negative here but with whats been going with Archie lately can you blame me?

At this point starting again with #1 would look really strange (immediately post-Worlds Collide was the best opportunity for that), and considering how upset people were over everything that happened, it was arguably for the best they didn't renumber.

That being said, I  personally wouldn't be against it either, even if I think they missed the best timing for it. Without the characters remembering the old universe, it would make sense to start fresh. I almost wish they had done that from the start after what happened, without stringing people along like "well at least the characters remember the old univers--......oh."

Wow, shit that crossover is getting dark.

What the hell happened to the art of this whole crossover? its soo seriously inconsistant it reminds me of the old days and not in a good way. whats next many hands is going to make a return?!

Wow you guys really can't appreciate a little stylistic difference every now and then can you? 

Bates clearly was trying to do something unique with the story but I guess if it isn't Imitating Tracy/Sega style it's just garbage. :rolleyes:

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the style through the story from what I've seen of it in general, it's just that one panel where the Zeti become super simplified silhouette-esque figures for no reason.

Maybe that panel is supposed to represent Mega Man's vision going blurry before he passes out.

I like the style through the story from what I've seen of it in general, it's just that one panel where the Zeti become super simplified silhouette-esque figures for no reason.

Ah, Sorry. I'm just getting tired of the negativity toward (What I feel) is some really truly fantastic artwork. I mean I get it arts subjective like most things but the negativity has been quite honestly baffling to me.

Ah, Sorry. I'm just getting tired of the negativity toward (What I feel) is some really truly fantastic artwork. I mean I get it arts subjective like most things but the negativity has been quite honestly baffling to me.

The artwork in of itself isn't bad. In fact it's actually very very good. My only issue with it is the dark colours makes it look far too saturated. I like Tracy's artwork as well as Evan's but I couldn't stand it when the colourist for the period between Genesis and Countdown to Chaos/Great Chaos Caper kept using neon colours with no shading. It dragged it down big time.

It works the same way here. The artwork really is spectacular but by not having a balance between the colours, it ends up getting dragged down because everything looks far far too dark and ends up feeling like it's trying too hard to make it look super serious. The colouring doesn't fit the artstyle of Sonic or Mega Man. Same way as the neon colours didn't fit Sonic's artstyle.

Is it cool to like the Deadly Six now?

Because even as a Mega Man guy I love them in that scene. That's just flippin' cold.

Maybe that panel is supposed to represent Mega Man's vision going blurry before he passes out.

Yeah that's basically what I was thinking. And I loved it personally. Made the shot look all the more disturbing.

• Thumbs Up 8

The artwork in of itself isn't bad. In fact it's actually very very good. My only issue with it is the dark colours makes it look far too saturated. I like Tracy's artwork as well as Evan's but I couldn't stand it when the colourist for the period between Genesis and Countdown to Chaos/Great Chaos Caper kept using neon colours with no shading. It dragged it down big time.

It works the same way here. The artwork really is spectacular but by not having a balance between the colours, it ends up getting dragged down because everything looks far far too dark and ends up feeling like it's trying too hard to make it look super serious. The colouring doesn't fit the artstyle of Sonic or Mega Man. Same way as the neon colours didn't fit Sonic's artstyle.

I don't know I think Luis Colors look really good honestly. It's a darker palate sure but I don't really see anything wrong with it.

Also I have literally no idea what your talking about with the whole "Neon Colors" thing with Matt's work.

Well let's compare two of Tracy's work.

Before #230: (Example from Saga Series 3's preview)

3119156-3+sonicsagaseries_vol3-58.jpg

There's a nice varied colour pallet between light and dark colours and they just blend in a lot more and make the overall art look very good.

Now compare this to Tracy's Worlds Collide work (Which is a preview page from Sonic Universe #52)

o2cAomW.jpg

The colours are far more bright, and is why I give it the nickname of the neon colour era. This is where in my opinion, the colouring dragged the art down a lot.

SBR, you know I love Bates, and even I went a little "wait what" at the new issue. It looks great, but there's certainly some choices he made I don't think quite work (he normally makes his art much more dynamic, but his art here somehow feels a lot more static? Not in a good way. Only in specific panels, though, which is even more confusing).

The problem isn't even with Bates himself, but with the crossover as a whole. You go from the Ghostbusters-guys-grey-and-metal-power-hour where everything's well constructed, sure, but the Sonic characters look boring (something that may be solved as they get more confortable with them, mind) and the colouring's utter drab, to Bates looking immensely colourful and almost childish, to a story where Wily and Eggman look like bad grafitti imitations from 2005, to god knows what next. It's jarring, to say the least- we were getting used to a touch of consistency. The comparisons to the first crossover are justified, I think- Yardley! in the midst of two incredibly on-model artists was one of the stupidest decisions Kaminski made- as are the comparisons to the day you'd have the art go from Butler to Many Hands to Ron Lim to Axer in 2 issues.

I don't get what's hard to get about this. I love Giorgio Cavazzano and I'd love to see him draw Sonic to sate my curiosity, but I doubt I'd like a Sonic ongoing from him (unless it were, like, StC I suppose which I see more as a Disney comic). Or a Frank Miller Sonic. I love his art, I genuinely do, even nowadays, but can you imagine how wrong it'd be?

• Thumbs Up 4

My honest opinion? The colours are better in the latter page you posted than the former.

The former overcomplicates the shading when 2D should have a more simplified style for the art. I've always had a problem with the highlights especially, throws expressions off and makes the texture a bit odd.

The latter only has simple shading for organic objects, which works to make the art pop. I suppose more shading can work in certain styles (dunno if the colours for Tyson Hesse's art was more complex), but I think it better complements Yardley's style.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh yeah, comparison by comparison I definitely prefer Thomas Mason's colours over... uh

damn, the colourist you used as an example was infamous years ago, everyone hated how he used dark colours and just airbrushed whites over them

now I don't even remember his name

regardless, Mason shades nicely enough, but uses too much saturation in his colours. The opposite of the current art, in that sense, which could use some more saturation.