Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

We're still dealing with drama on their redesigns post-WC. It'd be one large headache all over again; I'd say wait another 3 or so years.

I've see a very vocal few bemoan the fact that Sally wears friggin shorts now of all things.

We're still dealing with drama on their redesigns post-WC. It'd be one large headache all over again; I'd say wait another 3 or so years.

I've see a very vocal few bemoan the fact that Sally wears friggin shorts now of all things.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bad; thought you meant full on character redesigns to match Sonic Channel style better.

So I was kinda curious: does anyone recall which issue/arc they first started reading the book from, since it's been going on for... what, 22+ years at least? I remember my first issues were 122-125 because I thought Axer's art seemed pretty neat, and was confused by the awkward pencils of Lim, and had no clue just why the hell Knuckles was dead. And green.

My bad; thought you meant full on character redesigns to match Sonic Channel style better.

So I was kinda curious: does anyone recall which issue/arc they first started reading the book from, since it's been going on for... what, 22+ years at least? I remember my first issues were 122-125 because I thought Axer's art seemed pretty neat, and was confused by the awkward pencils of Lim, and had no clue just why the hell Knuckles was dead. And green.

issue 224 was the first issue I saw (via a youtube video granted) but by the end of the issue I was excited for the death egg showing up and issue 225 hooked me into the series and started seeing the reviews off the internet sonic

issue 252 was my first comic book issue ever that I got

ironically the reason I found out about the comics was because I watched a video for just to see what this image was about

mqdefault.jpg

shadows face though lol

Ironically, my history with the comics is kinda patchy. I researched the characters and events back in 2003 when I first heard of it (so going by Sonic Mega Collection Plus, this would have been around the 120s), but then I fell off the wagon after the games got my attention completely for a few years. I recall seeing #178 transpire thanks to the SEGA forums, kind of got a gist of what was going on in the 190s but didn't really follow it fully until about a year later. 

...Huh, I guess I've known it for over half its run now. That's an odd feeling.

I got my first issue as a little kid, maybe 2 or 3 years old? (I was already reading on a basic level back then, and kids comics were easy enough to read more or less on my own). Judging from what little snippets of memory I have, probably around the late teens to late 20s range. The issue could have been an old one, too. (We picked it up at a little convenience-like store of some sort). I wish I still had it. (reading the old comics as a late teenager and again a couple years ago has done nothing to job my memory, sadly)

I started reading more regularly somewhere.... after endgame but a couple years-ish before Adventure. I remember my library had 75 for a while. And that's where I read most of my comics from for years, the local library (though some of the specials and the Knuckles books I got from friends. And apparently years after publish dates? My childhood's getting blurry to me). And, yeah, some of it was weird to me, even as a kid. (I remember checking out the RtAI issues multiple times because they were a breath of fresh air from the rest of the book at the time.) Ironically, it was about the time I was considering giving the book up that 160 came around (though I initially missed it, getting 161 and 162 from the library together a bit later) and while I didn't know about the writer change at the time, it was definitely a good change of pace. I started watching the release dates and going to the library as close to it as possible to read the next issue. By the time of Enerjak: Reborn, I was buying issues from the local newsstand instead (and bought some back issue sets to boot). Within a year, I was subscribed, and the rest is history.

I have literally grown up with these comics in my life, if a bit off and on (I would often get the issues at the library in binges. ...I never did get 125 there...). I mean, as much as I rag on them now, the old issues did have their importance to my younger self (heck, I scoffed at them half the time as a kid. But, until I got a Gamecube, I had limited access to the games, so I took what I could get), as I've mentioned in the past. It's been an interesting ride, to say the least.

I got into the comic through random pick-ups at a grocery store that my mom used to go to. I remember buying issues like StH #63, StH #75, KtE #21 (That one I specifically remember picking up when I had the chicken pox in grade school. XD), and KtE #25. I also had my Grandma order random specials for me out of the order forms in the back. (I even still have my original Super Sonic vs. Hyper Knuckles in its original bag and boarding!) However, I didn't get into buying the series regularly and following the storyline until StH #100. I got pretty much every issue after that (Eventually changing groceries and just subscribing after the well finally went dry), got filled in on previous years of story through collector sets (I was especially giddy when I received the 2000 collector's set with the Sonic Adventure arc despite the fact that I ordered with an expired order form. XD), and the rest is history. Now I've got several big piles of comics in varying condition that are only gonna get bigger. XD

I was in elementary school when I started the Archie Sonic The Hedgehog comics, but either issue 130 or 136 were my first issue. I tend to believe that issue 136 was my first issue because it's the one I remembered getting the most, but it makes more logical sense that 130 would be my first issue since it came first, and I know the book store Borders didn't sell old Sonic comic books. Anyways, I pretty much ended up getting a comic book subscription (thanks to begging my mom). and began consistently reading the comics for awhile. 

I can certainly pinpoint issue #138 as having one of my favorite art styles for the book when growing up. 

06.jpg

I always loved how cartoony it looked, and even now as an adult looking back at it, it still looks very good. Later art styles really didn't bother me much at all. I was too absorbed and sucked into the story and different adventures my favorite SEGA Sonic and Archie Sonic characters were going through to try and criticize the art. (I remember someone here in this thread once questioned how any kids could deal with the bad art from the dark era of the comics, but I think it's worth knowing that many kids as myself just focused more on the story than art too much). 

Issue #167 was my final issue reading the comics. I was a bit older (in middle school), and I was getting more into anime/manga, so I started having my mom buy me Shonen Jump magazine for my monthly manga fix, but sadly in return she stopped renewing my subscription to the Sonic comics. I didn't even know that in the very next issue of Sonic it would have Sonic, Tails, and Shadow go into their super forms. I think if I knew that then I definitely would have stuck more to Sonic instead of getting Shonen Jump magazines. (I don't really regret jumping off the Sonic ship anyways because Shonen Jump magazine served as my gateway drug alongside Toonami to the world of anime and manga). For what it was worth, I did end up having a Archie Sonic X subscription, but I only got the first 15 issues and never continued. Now that I'm older I plan on tracking down issues #16 ~ #40 to help complete my Sonic X comic collection. 

Fast forward to my high school years, I'm still buying Shonen Jump magazine (but the magazine quality is going downhill, unfortunately), I walk into Barnes & Nobles and I see this issue...

sonic_the_hedgehog_222_cover_by_herms85-

I was so amazed that the Sonic comics were still going strong (222 issues! Wow!), and apparently Sonic and Sally's love was still there! I definitely ended up buying just to check out what in the world was going on right now in the world of Sonic, and it wasn't too difficult to get an idea of what was going on, but definitely issue #222 marked my grand return to the comics and I have stayed consistently following the comics since. I didn't start collecting Sonic Universe issues until much later, but I definitely tried to grab some whenever I had the chance, but with the main book? Pretty much got all the issues from #222 to current issue (The only issue I don't have is issue #234 where Antoine sacrifice himself to deal with Metal Sonic). Feels kind of amazing to look back at my history with the comics, and look at how so much within the comic has changed... I love the current direction of the comics, and even say that jumping back in at #222 was a miracle because it was the perfect issue more to jump in at, and with the Genesis arc starting soon, and all future issues coming out, I definitely seen how much the quality had increased. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Archie are returning to the worlds largest comic book convention SDCC for their usual 1 hour Sunday panel

In attendance will be Sonic/Megaman editor Vincent Lovallo and artists Evan Stanley & Edwin Huang

They'll be discussing the crossover and latest news and announcements

1pm room 32AB for those lucky enough to score badges this year (first time in 5 years that I missed out)

Umm, this would be a good occasion to talk about Mega Man's hiatus, but I'm not counting on it.

Umm, this would be a good occasion to talk about Mega Man's hiatus, but I'm not counting on it.

Someone will probably bring it up during the Q&A

• Thumbs Up 2

The issues I got at ths time, I got during that odd time when grocery stores still sold monthlies that Archie put out; and where I lived, there was no local comic shop (and still isnt to my knowledge).

I was a Nintendo kid growing up and other than playing some of the Genesis games at friends/families places, the only game I had at the time was SA2 on Gamecube. So when 124-125 called itself SA2.5, I was interested as hell. What I got was Shadow getting mixed up with aliens (lol, hindsight), all the characters being mutated descendants of Earth's humans due to evil alien WMDs, a bunch of characters fighting in the Arctic, and Knuckles pulling a Jesus while going back to being red while Sonic was tossed in space.

I checked out 126, but the story and art (Sonic's teeth as he's beaten up by evil Super Sonic in particular bugged me) didnt appeal to me, so I lost my drive to keep buying.

It wasnt until years later when I checked out an issue by chance at a Barnes & Noble, which he issue of Coming Storm where the horse guy, Sir (Sean) Connery, died. It was kinda a cluster without reading the comic beforehand, and I think that was when Fry was going through, of all things, a Jack Kirby phase.

I didnt start getting into the series again until... just after Mega Man launched and I saw the book had improved. Flashforeward to today where I've read all the issues thanks to some major hunting.

So that's why I was more upset at the news of Mega Man's "hiatus" than the reboot the Sonic comics got: because it was due to how strong Mega Man was that I got into the pre-Archie Action books that I stafted following not only MM, but the Sonic books again.

• Thumbs Up 1

*peeps in thread* Oh.. we're not talking WU spoilers? Well.. since everyone is saying how they got in the comics, I'll tell my story.

SO.. I lived in Greece most of my life and there I only knew of Disney comics. Literally everything else was unknown to me. Well, aside DC and Marvel stuff. Like, Batman, Spider Man, and all that. And although I liked Sonic as a kid, I never really ever thought of the chance of him having comics. Fast forward to when I move to Jordan. My school library had magazines and I saw Nintendo Power. Then I realised "oh! this is a thing! i think i'll read these", then I managed to get a subscription thanks to my dad. Normally they don't ship to Jordan but when you have a *ahem* certain job.. you get a small privilege called the military post office box, and they basically ship everything there. 

Moving on to the important stuff, there was an issue on Sonic Generations I believe, and I remember reading an article about Sonic: Genesis. This was back when I was in my "Sonic high". Getting into the series and basically being obsessed with everything about it, so I was super excited. Wow!! Comics based off the original games!! !!!!!!! I NEED THESE. But.. I can't get them where I was. So I was sad. I'd ask my aunt from the US to get the issues but by the time I got the issue of Nintendo Power advertising them, it was almost time for Part 3 out of 4 for the Genesis storyline to come out, and I didn't want an incomplete story.

Fast forward even more to when Nintendo Power ended. I was looking around for another monthly dose of something to read. I liked getting Nintendo Power in the mail since I got to read something and anticipate something new every month. Then I thought, comics! I can get comics every month! Those will be more exciting! So I looked online for a subscription to the Archie Sonic comics. And there were.. two series??? I was confused, and from what the website said.. Sonic was a continuation of SatAM, and Universe was more based off the games. At least, that's what I got at the time. So I went with Sonic, for it being the longest running one and not having story arcs, so I wouldn't have to worry about starting with Part 2 of something. OCD stuff, I guess.

Around a month later, it arrives.

gkszOGj.jpg

Issue #223. I was amazed. First thing I noticed is how thin it is.. and how amazingly tall it is. Compared to European comics this was monstrously tall but strikingly thin. Call it a comic culture shock, I dunno. The blurb caught my eye "The world's most way past cool comic!". I loved that blurb then and love it to this day. Wish they still had it, honestly. I was like "yeah wow this is so 90s. I love it". Of course I had no idea what to expect with that cover. Who are these people?? Oh well, let's read and find out.

I was confused beyond belief.. I had no idea what was going on. Who's Geoffrey St. John?? Why is there a court case going on?? But I didn't care. :V I loved the art so much and Tails was looking like a bad-ass in the start of the story, so I was sure I'd get some action in later issues, and maybe figure out what's going on. 

After I read a few issues (and boy was I hyped for the next one since it had SILVER!!!) I got interested in SatAM. I got the boxed set off Amazon (the one with the Penders cover :V) and I watched the series as a sort of 20th anniversary celebration thingy. And after that a few things cleared up in the comics for me. I knew some of the characters and got some references they threw. Like in that one issue where Sonic said Antoine recommended a restaurant because they don't use margarine. :P 

So yeah shortly afterwards I got into Universe and Mega Man (thanks crossover) and fell in love with Mega Man after buying the graphic novels for older stories. Universe, I wasn't so inclined to read past issues, and I'm still not, but as of now it's a nice additive to the main plot. But yeah wow, pretty much after Worlds Collide, I got sooo much into comic collecting. I started trying to get as many old Sonic issues as I could, so I bought the packs off of Archie's website. Got back up to issue #218. I started collecting the Super Digests and Magazines, and I got to collecting Greek Disney comics as well. I'm really on it now, especially with the recent revivals both in Greece and in the US (slowly importing those issues now).

But wow, looking back if it wasn't for Sonic, I wouldn't have tried out reading series like Mega Man or New Crusaders, both of which are my favourites this era. It's also relatively cheap to get comics.. so they're pretty easy to collect and look nice when you got a lot.. so yeah. Thanks Sonic comics, for getting me into comic reading and collecting. Before, I was just a casual fan, now I'm a collector. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I knew about the comics for a very, very long time, but they were almost impossible to find in my location, and I was still extremely young and my parents couldn't really afford a subscription at that time. I forgot all about it until several years later when I got Sonic Mega Collection. I spent HOURS going through the galleries and reading 'Sonic's Firsts" or whatever it was that they had included in the game. I ended up discovering Sonic HQ and going through catching up on all the issues up to that point, though it never dawned on me that the comics were still going on until around #174. I remember going to the newly opened bookstore nearby and being incredibly excited I could finally read the comics! Considering it was Bunnie's wedding issue, and Bunnie was already my favorite character, it was the perfect issue to start with for me. That is... until the next issue, when eggman kinda blew everything up. :V

Might be odd to say, but... I always liked the comics because they weren't like the games. The games were fine and I loved them, but even as a kid I knew they didn't really keep anything super consistent, and nothing they did fully connected with me. I always was more drawn to the cartoons and even Sonic X (before it bored me) and liked seeing other interpretations of the series outside of the main canon. I think for that reason, I never was against any of the deviations in style or characterization or whatever just because it didn't fit the "Segasonic" style. Maybe I loved them a lot because for years all I had to go by were excerpts and the concept of things going on, rather than I know about their actual execution. My mind filled in those blanks and made a better story in my head I guess. For that reason, even today, I can still look back to the old stories rather fondly despite knowing a good number of them are cringe worthy, AND despite knowing what a former writer has done and the consequences of it. Not to say there isn't room for criticism of course; I'm just easy to please : P

That said... I haven't been keeping up with the comics nearly as well as I used to. at first it was because I was pretty hurt over the forced (but understandable) reboot, but I gotta say my heart's changed alot about it. I love a lot of the things they're doing now, and I feel like the comic has a lot more freedom to do things without having to worry about the pre-reboot's clutter. I'm still not fond of some of the redesigns, and I feel Ian is still plagued with the "great story, but meh ending" problem he's had for years, but all in all I'm very much liking this new direction. I WOULD be buying more issues... but college life and the inability to consistently travel to the nearest bookstore only has me buying a few issues every now and then. Maybe I can conjure up enough money to get a subscription sometime soon.

... as long as we know StH and SU aren't going through a hiatus too. Poor, poor Megaman. :'(

• Thumbs Up 1

I got into Sonic in like 2003 or so and discovered the comic through Sonic Firsts on the Mega Collection. I first discovered the book was still running with Issue #140 but I didn't really start following the book until issue 144 although I got 144-146 and 147-151 in bundles off Ebay and then subscribed with issue 152. 

Wow I've been reading this book for 10 years and I still find the Reboot better than the previous continuity..

My intro to the Sonic Comic was all over the place. I can recall reading some at my local library as a kid, but no specifics. The first time I went to a comic shop (Weren't really any around me till 2005) the newest issue was 150, and I got that, since it was just a smiling Sonic on the cover. It confused me to no end. I didn't know who any of the Comic Exclusive Characters were, I didn't know who Nack was, and I got very confused at the evil twin switch thing (At the time I assumed it was in older issues, now I know better). It took me awhile to get back into things, but ironically enough it all started with the second part of "First Date" the Knuckles story where he sets up a date with Julie-Su. I had already established Knuckles as my favorite Sonic Character, mostly because I identified with his Adventure 1 and 2 persona most out of any other character, so it seemed like a good fit for me. I began buying all the Knuckles books I could, and even the Sonic Books as well. I got a subscription to Sonic Universe in time for the Silver Saga, and from then on I've been grabbing the book whenever I could.

I found the comic back in 1995. Back then, it got translated into Portuguese and published here in Brazil. This is the cover of the translated version:
Sonic_archie.jpg

I have read the first four issues, and I really enjoyed its take on the characters. I remember that Bunnie was my favorite character at that time. However, when I moved from my old home I stopped reading and almost forgot about the comic.

It was at the end of 2012 that I was surprised to find out that the comic was still being made. I mean the original version, I do not know for how long the first Brazilian Portuguese translation lasted. I found about the Sonic comic again when I was reading the digital version of the Mega Man one, which I found almost by chance when I was browsing Comixology.

But I didn't start reading STH again as soon I found out about it, at first I got some digests and other trades. The first history I read was "Heart of the Hedgehog", and what got me hooked was that the story had tension, and how emotional it could be. The story let clear that the characters were fragile and mortal, so there were very valuable things at stake. To this day it still is one of my favorite Sonic stories, tied with Spark of Life from Sonic Universe.

Another point that I liked a lot was the battle between Sonic and Eggman, after the latter has nuked Mobotropolis. Eggman was trying everything to break Sonic both physically and emotionally, he then said that he has studied Sonic and that he had just reached its limit. Sonic then smirks and says:

"Limit? Limit! LIMIT!!!"
(Sonic moves in a fraction of second to another continent)
"I HAVE YOUR LIMIT RIGHT HERE!"

(then he charges into Eggman at the same speed)

This scene embodies what Sonic is the most: fast and cool  B).

I really became a regular reader of STH with the Worlds Collide crossover, and I have read every STH and SU issue since then. I never really got too much invested into the pre-reboot universe; though it had many high points, overall I find convoluted and excessively dark at points. I have been enjoying the reboot so far, and my favorite arc from the STH comic was champions thanks to its many really clever characters interactions.

For the sake of curiosity, I found out some time ago that there is a new Brazilian Portuguese translation published here, which covers the most recent issues. I still get the original version in digital form through Comixology, but here are a couple of pictures comparing the versions (English and Portuguese) that I found on the Internet (spoilered for size):

1185249_10151792954350795_650174026_n.jp

Notice that the editor notes were removed, because they refer to a pre-reboot story:
1235375_10151792954590795_1773998097_n.j

(source)

• Thumbs Up 1

well.. i just started to read the comics like.. almost 3 years ago...?  i can't remember..

well.. i read since Sonic: Mobius 30 years later arc via internet... here on Chile there is not much.. comic fans.. only the traditional superhero comics.. and that's much saying.. U_U ...

755439-su5.jpg

just for mere curiosity.. and i still don't read all of the past and latesnt issues..before the Reboot

i think it got my attention.. seen Sonic as a man of Family.. 

then.. just suddenly after reading some aleatory issues after Eggman went crazy.. the battle before that happend.. capted whole my attention.. was.. well awesome!

mostly because the dynamic that Yardley put on that issue.. ^_^

ohh! wait!  also when he captured all Knothole inhabitants.. when Eggman tells him.. "i know your Limits" ..

Sonic's  face and reaction was so epic! http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/33308/2070117-sonic2.jpg

tumblr_n8h1j5kgoe1tyyjnvo1_250.gif   LIMIT!? I'VE GOT YOUR LIMIT RIGHT HERE!!

well  since those issues... i just got in love with the comics.. :)  

• Thumbs Up 7

I've been reading the comics since I was a child. The earliest issue I remeber had the Universalamander in it, and Sonic going Super and shrinking it before stomping it. This was back when the comics were more of an action-comedy, Looney Tunes style of writing before things became more dramatic and a structured plot began to form.

There was also the Sonic vs Knuckles Battle Royale that I remember, and then I remember reading the Endgame arc.

So yeah, been reading the comics since almost the very beginning. Boy do I fell old saying that.

Being the new guy here, I guess I can explain where I began reading the comics:

I didn't actually start reading it until just a few years ago, when I was given an Archie Sonic issue at the Summer of Sonic 2012 event. I believe it was issue #192 (whichever one had Sonic and Scourge facing off against Metal Sonic and Metal Scourge). Thankfully, my brother had read some prior issues, so he filled me in on what was going on. I eventually decided to read on from where he had stopped, around issue #219 I think (when Geoffrey turned traitor, and the countdown to 'Genesis' began). I enjoyed what I read, especially Genesis, and even began reading most of Sonic Universe at the same time (starting from issue #1, but skipping out on '30 Years Later'). Eventually, I even managed to get my brother back into the books.

Then, when I heard about the first crossover with Mega Man, I began to read those books to understand his story. And what I read was incredible! It was these books that got me into the Mega Man games. But back to Sonic, I remember reading through the crossover and highly enjoying it, though my brother stopped again just before 'Endangered Species' began. Then we heard about the reboot. After that, while I didn't mind reading the first few issues, my brother lost interest completely. I'm glad I stuck on, though, because the more recent stories have been very enjoyable to read. And now here I am, enjoying yet another crossover between the blue heroes. And I can't wait to see what lies in store for the future... (hiatuses aside)

• Thumbs Up 1

I was given a random bunch of 30 Archie sonic and knuckles that came in pack by my parents for a road trip, before that only comics I had really read were the Archie Digests, and I enjoyed them. Still have most of them, including the Knuckles' Chaotix special

Don't really have much of a grand story to tell about how I got into the comics. I started reading the series in the 90's around issue #50, stopped after the whole Sally slapping Sonic issue, and started reading it again after the reboot. Every now and then, I'd go back and read some of the issues I missed.

I have very fond memories of collecting the issues from my comic shop and reading the issues on the bus or train ride home.

Wow, there's a character named Gold.... I know, I shouldn't be surprised since Sonic character names aren't that clever but really, Gold?

Wow, there's a character named Gold.... I know, I shouldn't be surprised since Sonic character names aren't that clever but really, Gold?

We have SILVER the Hedgehog, so naturally there's going to be a "Gold".