Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Might I add that they do some wonderful Cut Man impressions :P

Sonic Usually puts out about 7.5-8k, Sonic Universe and Mega Man both flit around the 6.5k mark just prior to the crossover (bar SU#75 as noted), and Sonic Boom is usually down at 6k. Like I said, it has done a boost, it's just down from the numbers that WC pulled up to this point.

Thank you so much for the data, helps me see the sales more visually. I hope they sale more after they introduce the other franchise characters.

Mega Man

-They show off the exclusive con variant issue (and plug it) 

-They confirm once again that Mega Man is only on break and definitely not cancelled.

-The story of one of the issues is going to focus on Rock as he wonders what his purpose is now that Wily is dead (Which confirms he's likely lost his memory of Worlds Unite once again)

-#54 will be focusing on Break Man coming back to Dr.Light, learning he shouldn't be evil, coming to terms with the past, and officially becoming Proto Man

That is very good news to hear. And great another memory swipe.

Rock wondering his purpose is interesting. I always thought he can get back to being a household robot or fight criminals other than Wily, as seen in one of the opening of a game I don't remember which one. 

Breakman summary sound very unProtoman-ish especially the "coming back to Dr. Light" part , but that's what makes the Archie Blues unique.

Thank you so much for the data, helps me see the sales more visually. I hope they sale more after they introduce the other franchise characters.

That is very good news to hear. And great another memory swipe.

Rock wondering his purpose is interesting. I always thought he can get back to being a household robot or fight criminals other than Wily, as seen in one of the opening of a game I don't remember which one. 

Breakman summary sound very unProtoman-ish especially the "coming back to Dr. Light" part , but that's what makes the Archie Blues unique.

Well, when it says coming back to Dr.Light, it could really mean coming back to him as part as accepting his past, maybe confronting him finally about the idea he's been replaced by Rock, when Dr.Light really created Rock & Roll so Blues would have a family.

As for Rock wondering his purpose, it could be due to the fact that after all the hardships he's gone through, the fact he's been so weaponized to the point he's only really meant to take on the Robot Masters for example, could mean he's wondering can he really just return back to his previous life as a helper bot, and after all the pain Wily has put them all through, he just finds it hard to go back into that purpose again.

Well its reassuring that Mega Man will come back, hopefully it'll give them more time to pace the story arcs instead of just trying to cram everything in as quickly as possible so it can be easier for trades. Also I don't think that it's going to be a memory wipe maybe Dr. Wily fakes his death

Well its reassuring that Mega Man will come back, hopefully it'll give them more time to pace the story arcs instead of just trying to cram everything in as quickly as possible so it can be easier for trades. Also I don't think that it's going to be a memory wipe maybe Dr. Wily fakes his death

Hopefully now that Paul is gone, that would hold true since he was the one who always suggested to keep arcs in 4 issues because they could easily fit into trades. It either made certain arcs too long, or jettisoned too much into a single issue. I was honestly getting tired of that format after so long.

One thing that does bugs me about the Dr. Wily death plot point was that it was crammed into the crossover. If this was done in the regular Mega Man book we would of dealt with how the other characters reacting to this news and how it would affect them, but since it's just, at least what feels like, needlessly thrown in here. For such an important character like Dr. Wily, and the only thing we got was just one line of dialog from Mega Man, and with so much needless fights and battle it didn't have the impact it should of had.

I still don't get it. Why has the art for this crossover been so... off so far? With this sort of thing, shouldn't it be a top priority to have the best artists available on board here?

• Thumbs Up 6

A massive, hyped-to-Chaotic-Inferno-Zone-and-back crossover with about a dozen franchises is NOT the time to be experimental. After all this buildup, we readers expected the Archie team to bring their A-game, not bring in new artists with little-to-no experience with these characters (or drawing backgrounds, in this guy's case)

When the crossover ends and the books go their separate ways? That'd be a much better time for the new guys to get their feet wet!

• Thumbs Up 3

yes but you know what's an even better priority

having artists with a recognizable name regardless of whether they fit sonic

worked for ron lim, worked for greg horn

I think if I remember right, it was said somewhere on Bumbleking that it was the old editor's idea to have all the guest artists in the book in an attempt to make the crossover look big, despite the fact that most of them clearly don't have experience with Sonic or Mega Man's artstyle.

I think it was also said the old editor is the reason Xander has been thrown in there as well despite barely doing anything in the actual story.

All that epicness left to a crappy artist.

Well, I shouldn't say that. For all I know, his other work is great and he's just not used to the more cartoony Sonic style. Same with Ron Lim.

Edited by Jason the Jackass

Ugh. That art is getting worse.

Also Knuckles used a flaming uppercut back in Total Eclipse :P

tumblr_nri65teq3w1tlfjtro6_1280.jpg

Sticks basically has the same reaction to the Sally art as I do, if you omit the speech bubbles.

Dear oh dear was it such a good idea to have these guest artists on board? The artwork here hasn't looked this mediocre in the Sonic comics since the days before Flynn stepped in (besides some dodgy covers here and there). I honestly don't know what to think of this, it's just so...mediocre. 

Since I got part 8. 

Part 8 spoiler images. 

Hidden Content

Yeah, Guile's Theme goes with Embarrassing Sonic, especially when he goes...

SONIIIIC... BOOM!!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

So quick question, did Archie's panel give a reason for Mega Man's hiatus when they 'assured' everyone it was just that?

Because I dont think they said if it was to allucate funds for a new Jughead or Betty & Veronica after the Kickstarter failed. But on current topic, Act 3 next week will have Hesse on art, so this is Huang's last issue.

Lol, poor Sonic, he can't make a Sonic Boom strong enough to cut through solid objects.

He had a Sonic Boom like Kick in Lost Worlds, but it was weak and really only used for Stunning

CI_9xQRXAAA7Ckw.jpg

What am I even looking at.

Things are trying to look xtreme here

Also, Sonic's quills are too short!

Since I got part 8. 

Part 8 spoiler images. 

Hidden Content

The part when Sigma makes more portals and everything gets spacey is cool.

Sally hugging Sticks was qute though.

LOL Sonic is not amused there.

Guile using Soinc Boom would've been funny with the Sonic Boom Logo! Then Guile would just make a callback to Sonic Boom #1. "Did I just call out my move in the style of a logo?" "I was as shocked as you were."

• Thumbs Up 1

All that epicness left to a crappy artist.

Well, I shouldn't say that. For all I know, his other work is great and he's just not used to the more cartoony Sonic style. Same with Ron Lim.

Huang is actually a very talented artist and has worked for UDON and Capcom on a lot of Street Fighter stuff. His style isn't the most cartoony thing ever, but he's got the ability to to adapt to Sonic's style (moreso than Ron Lim did), and I think even at this point he's... close to getting it. It just seems to me he wasn't given much time to practice, or maybe even a case of disinterest on his part. 

From what I have been able to find of his work, he doesn't seem to be much of a comic book artist either. He's more into designing covers, concept art, or just one giant promotional image of something. He's made several covers for Megaman and Sonic now too, and there's a pretty huge difference between that and the quality of his interior work. Maybe the comic was just too much out of his comfort zone without proper preparation? I dunno, but it's making me wish he didn't have to pencil for the rest of the story.

And I was pretty accepting of Huang's art at first. It wasn't 100% Pure Sonic, but it was tolerable... when not much action was going on in the issues. Now that the story's picked up though, my heart has changed quite a bit. It feels really disjointed and awkward. Some good panels happen, but it doesn't fix the fact every other panel feels like Axl's reaction when he sees his dead friends again. Just kinda... "Oh no.... this is a bad thing happening.... I guess. :|"

They should've kept this guy doing covers and promotion art and just that. Because a combination of what he does best, with an artist already well established by Archie in the past couple of years doing the rest? THAT would've been really cool.

So quick question, did Archie's panel give a reason for Mega Man's hiatus when they 'assured' everyone it was just that?

Because I dont think they said if it was to allucate funds for a new Jughead or Betty & Veronica after the Kickstarter failed. But on current topic, Act 3 next week will have Hesse on art, so this is Huang's last issue.

I can't remember it well, but I think it was more of a passing mention. Like they quickly said ''After the break'' or something along those lines. They didn't go in depth into the reasoning of MM's hiatus or Boom's cancellation. They just mentioned they planned to do stories of Boom to go into Super Specials and Digests, and they have plans for Mega Man after the break.