Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

2. That's not a confirmation that he's allowed, it's just saying they don't have plans for him in the immediate future. They wouldn't have plans for characters like Scourge in the immediate future either

Well except using Nega wouldn't bring up things about an absolute mess of a lawsuit and plunge us back into all that crap.

Nope; didn't happen. It was all a dream, a hoax, an imaginary story... or maybe just another lifetime. ;););)

No. Stop that. We don't just fucking ignore things because of the reboot. The characters themselves remembered it, so even if it didn't happen anymore, there was still a point where it did happen. This isn't Sonic 06.

Well except using Nega wouldn't bring up things about an absolute mess of a lawsuit and plunge us back into all that crap.

Not at all, I'm just saying that having no immediate plans for them doesn't confirm that they'll be used. 

Not at all, I'm just saying that having no immediate plans for them doesn't confirm that they'll be used. 

Well yeah, but you're comparing someone that they can use but haven't to someone that they could sort of use if they were to completely rework every aspect of the character, rewriting every detail to move it away from the old continuity to the point where it's barely the same guy anymore but haven't because it would be a huge pain in the ass.

Well yeah, but you're comparing someone that they can use but haven't to someone that they could sort of use if they were to completely rework every aspect of the character, rewriting every detail to move it away from the old continuity to the point where it's barely the same guy anymore but haven't because it would be a huge pain in the ass.

I said we don't know if they can, for all we know he's asked and they still can't (Nega has been namedropped in his banned period before). The point was the wording doesn't really mean a lot. 

I said we don't know if they can, for all we know he's asked and they still can't (Nega has been namedropped in his banned period before). The point was the wording doesn't really mean a lot. 

Well yeah, but if he was still banned, wouldn't they have said that they still can't use him instead of not having plans for him? Or just not even mention him, because then we could assume they still couldn't use him?

Well yeah, but if he was still banned, wouldn't they have said that they still can't use him instead of not having plans for him? Or just not even mention him, because then we could assume they still couldn't use him?

If it was off the letter page then I'd say yes, but the letter page doesn't usually have that MO. One of the other letters was asking about whether Sticks would summon the other Boom crew for the showdown in Worlds Unite, and the editor reply was "MAAAAAAYBEEEEEE, read MM#52 to find out!", even though Ian had already said they were disallowed on social communication channels and MM#52 clearly indicates that the answer is no.

If it was off the letter page then I'd say yes, but the letter page doesn't usually have that MO. One of the other letters was asking about whether Sticks would summon the other Boom crew for the showdown in Worlds Unite, and the editor reply was "MAAAAAAYBEEEEEE, read MM#52 to find out!", even though Ian had already said they were disallowed on social communication channels and MM#52 clearly indicates that the answer is no.

Well, that doesn't say "yes", it says "look at this thing" and the thing just happens to say no. And we still haven't actually been given the information on whether Nega's still banned or not, but that was a clear answer during the same arc, rather than now, where it's been a long time since we've even heard the name.

Really, though, it's not as if it's a really popular character in the first place. I don't know why they bother anyway.

No. Stop that. We don't just fucking ignore things because of the reboot. The characters themselves remembered it, so even if it didn't happen anymore, there was still a point where it did happen. This isn't Sonic 06.

Well, I mean, they don't remember it anymore and there was a universal reset, so...it's not exactly unlike '06.

However, I think it's fair to assume that at least some storylines in the old continuity happened, but with changes to fit in with the events of the games being added to the mix. In fact, I think what may have happened with Eggman in the new continuity is fairly simple: his defeat in the comic's take on Colours (with that being the last straw after some other losses, or something) led to Eggman having a breakdown for a while, then he worked past it, which led to the comic's version of Generations. So essentially, the same events in the old continuity leading up to the Genesis storyline happened here too, but with some changes to fit in the context of stories from the games.

This may even explain why, apparently, Colours and Generations happened before Unleashed in the comics. That way, Eggman would have gone through those developments right off the bat once the reboot happened, even after the memories faded...but I'm just speculating here, so who knows. XP

-

On another note, I really liked that issue of Universe, and I'm interested in seeing where this goes. And of course I'm happy to finally get back to the standard storylines. 

The Off-Panel really surprised me with...

...that Sonic the Comic reference. Funnily enough, I just read that character's page on the StC wiki a day or two ago. .-.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I mean, they don't remember it anymore and there was a universal reset, so...it's not exactly unlike '06.

They may not remember it in-universe, but we as an audience out-universe do. It still serves as an idea of what would happen when you beat someone like Eggman no matter what he does to the point of frustration and insanity...and what he is capable of to bounce back even stronger than ever. And we as an audience at least shouldn't disregard that just because the characters don't remember - we do just that for Sonic 06 despite it rewriting itself to have never happened.

Plus, 06 is something to be remembered badly, while the old universe stands as a symbol for classic Sonic's world -- the weird, the wild, the unpredictable. We use 06's self-retcon as an excuse not to have to figure out all it's bullshit -- and I support that, but the old comic world, especially issues 25-50, along with 160-current, are some really interesting reads and do a good job of being different, but familiar.

Being honest, Worlds Unite was a weird case of needing more space, but lacking a story that requires 12 issues. The cast alone makes the comic feel far too cluttered, to the point where Issues 9 and 10 were nothing more than 2 page intros of worlds, where in the end, the characters were useless and didn't make a difference.

While I blame editorial and Sega/Capcom for some of these issues, I can't help but blame Ian for a few of them either. Stuff like Act 2 just going on far too long, or stuff like a wide amount of #275's pages were just a bunch of art pages of characters attack random parts of Sigma with no dialogue whatsoever. Nothing else. One of the biggest problems is the space of the comic just isn't used effectively. Parts are too drawn out, while other parts are too rushed. It's a problem that I can't help but notice.

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer

How would being told "you have to make this three acts, 12 issues long, and none of the big guest stars can appear until the third act," which sounds like what went down, be Ian's fault?

The more I hear about World's Unites development the more I feel as if the reason why it turned out to be the way it was because Paul Kaminski had "I'm working for DC fuck this shit I'll do whatever I want before I leave" attitude. It was his idea to get Xander play a large role and why he came off as a walking plot device, if I recall correctly it was his idea to make Xander Mr.X(don't quote me on that), he got the guest artist to appear on the book and Ian confirmed on twitter that it was Paul that decided to get all the SEGA/Capcom characters involved. 

How would being told "you have to make this three acts, 12 issues long, and none of the big guest stars can appear until the third act," which sounds like what went down, be Ian's fault?

Dude, I've said that Capcom/Sega are to blame for some of the issues, but Ian could have still made better space of the size of issues. If you want me to be totally honest, I think some of the MM/Sonic battles stories could easily fit in as well to pad out space. That also doesn't excuse the fact that there's like 8 or 9 pages of purely artwork in #275.

I personally liked 275's fight scenes, problemly the longest fight scene we got in the whole comic (through it would've been better off in a 3rd Battles Book, I don't know why they didn't do that), but did they really have to put a old story in the second half of the comic?

They definitely should've put this crossover aside as a comic book series separate from the Megaman, Boom, Universe and Sonic comics. The delay of all these other arcs just for the crossover is stupid as hell and I hope they don't ever do this again in future. Probably won't anyway since Megaman is on hiatus soon and Boom will be cancelled. 

I personally liked 275's fight scenes, problemly the longest fight scene we got in the whole comic (through it would've been better off in a 3rd Battles Book, I don't know why they didn't do that), but did they really have to put a old story in the second half of the comic?

With the Magazine that was supposed to be reprinting said story not seeing release in time for the point where it was relevant for the wider audience, yes sadly. 

Edit: Oh hey, I was just doing some of my usual random meanderings and I stumbled across this. Some more design art, this time of Schlemmer's redesign. 

• Thumbs Up 6

With the Magazine that was supposed to be reprinting said story not seeing release in time for the point where it was relevant for the wider audience, yes sadly.

Yeah, I don't really get anything other than the Sonic the Hedgehog comic itself right now, so I really appreciated getting to see that.

Also, I noticed a Madonna redesign in that guy's gallery, too. I didn't realize she was going to appear too. Who's next, Tiara Boobowiski?

Tiara's off limits, so that's a no. 

Not sure if they're done reinventing old characters for now (aside from the Lupe story released in a couple of months from now, and the inevitable Dulcy one). 

Yeah, but at least Lupe was at any point used after Flynn took over and before the reboot. I don't remember seeing Dulcy since...well, ever.

I don't even know what I expect the inevitable redesign to look like.

Yeah, but at least Lupe was at any point used after Flynn took over and before the reboot. I don't remember seeing Dulcy since...well, ever.

I don't even know what I expect the inevitable redesign to look like.

I'm not sure in which issues they ran, it might have been just before #160, or shortly afterward, but Mike Gallagher wrote a Dulcy solo story that ran for two or three issues where she went back to her homeland and saved her people. She returned briefly and had some silent appearances during Flynn's "Eggman Empire" arc (she was captured for the Egg Grapes and then freed), but there wasn't really a place for her it seems. So, for what it's worth, she did appear during Flynn's run, minor as her role was at that point.

Though I don't think Flynn got the chance to work with a lot of things in the old 'verse. At least not with how tight the narrative was. We never saw shit on the Neo Walkers when they were instated following "The Darkest Storm," (in which the original Ancient Walkers were destroyed) for example. 'Course, they're way off limits now, so... oh well?

Well yeah, but can we even expect Flynn to work with Dulcy in the first place is my point. I mean, you have to keep things consistent with the design of characters. I'm not saying everyone needs to be another different head on Sonic's body (which is Sega's mentality for new heroes, it seems), but there's a lot more to do here than with Sally and the others. Can you even make that look right? The others could in some way resemble Sonic characters, but this...

Dulcy_FF_Intro.jpg

It'd take some work.

Well yeah, but can we even expect Flynn to work with Dulcy in the first place is my point. I mean, you have to keep things consistent with the design of characters. I'm not saying everyone needs to be another different head on Sonic's body (which is Sega's mentality for new heroes, it seems), but there's a lot more to do here than with Sally and the others. Can you even make that look right? The others could in some way resemble Sonic characters, but this...

Dulcy_FF_Intro.jpg

It'd take some work.

I don't see why he'd have trouble working with her. I think he can write a role for her, whatever it may be. Perhaps extra support for the Sky Patrol?

With regards to her designs, it's hard to say. Unlike most of the new-old characters introduced, her original design was always removed from regular Sonic character design. Like, I don't think they can get away with making something really generic, like making her Vector with wings. I imagine the designers can take some cues from the baby dragons from SA2 or the dragons from Black Knight, and find some middle ground between that and a modern Sonic design that still says "Dulcy." In fact, I remember an artist on Tumblr did just that (I believe it was fini-mun?). Honestly, I'm quite interested in seeing what they pull out for her.

tumblr_nhslq8mdxQ1r6r1iuo1_1280.png

This is the proposed redesign mentioned previously. Taking inspiration from previous dragons in the series as well as the Phoenix from Unleashed were great choices IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well that brings up my other point. Design regardless, I don't really want to see her. I'm not nearly as attached to her as I am to the other fighters, but even so we may have a few many heroic characters on the team. I don't remember much of what Dulcy did in the cartoon, I'll be honest. But we already have a plane, and a floating base that also are flying things characters can ride on. With Antoine's badass upgrade (at least, in terms of being fully active), we now Have Sonic, Rotor, Sally, Amy, Antoine, and Bunnie that are all very capable fighters on their own (not including Tails, he's much weaker in the comics, generally). That's six characters in the Freedom Fighters.

Again, I don't really remember what she did in the cartoon, but do we really need another character to return? I already think we have too many. Ironically, by putting Antoine in a coma, turning Sally into a robot, removing Bunnie's mecha bits, and injuring Rotor's back, I think the pre-SGW continuity handled things better and put it much closer to the games in that universe. It left Sonic and Amy as the main two that were able to fight, and I think it worked a lot better.

Wow, thinking about it, it feels like when the lawsuits happened and the comic needed to restart, they really just said "fuck it, we gotta push this to it's limit" and then had Naugus take the throne, the King die (for all intents and purposes), Naugus start dying and possess his student, and take away all of the fighters that weren't from the games.

• Thumbs Up 1