Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

The question is never "do we need another character" but rather "what purpose are we able use this character for?"

Characters with no purpose are characters that risk taking up space because if a character has no purpose then there's not much point in using them, which allows better management of a cast of characters. Likewise, characters with strong purposes have strong reasons for being needed.

Whatever they decide to do with Dulcy, I really hope she has something of substance at the very least. That's likely another reason Ian had very little use for her.

• Thumbs Up 9

Since I skipped various issues in the early and mid 100s, I actually have no idea what happened to Dulcy. I know she hooked up with another dragon who was abusive to her, and then there's the Gallagher story and silent cameos I mentioned last page... but was there anything else done with her prior to the beginning of Flynn's run?

It's understandable she didn't really fit into the narrative at large, but since this continuity is a new start, she doesn't necessarily need to be on the active roster. I kind of think she can be an occasional ally that some of the characters can call upon or might team up with if they're in the same area. You know, like Lupe who's incoming. For what it's worth, she didn't have particularly frequent appearances in the old 'verse anyway, so I think she can be used sparingly so long as Flynn finds/has a purpose for her.

Just put the preview on the site by coincidence. Marks the last time I have to write for Sonic Boom on a regular basis. 

SonicBoom-11-3-1467f.jpgSonicBoom-11-4-52e10.jpgSonicBoom-11-5-5f366.jpgSonicBoom-11-6-65164.jpgSonicBoom-11-7-0688b.jpg

;_____;

At least it's getting a good sendoff, pencils are done by Diana Skelly, loving those expressions! Did Sonic just say the short version of LOL? And they're using new ways to break the 4th wall... 

Darn, just when this comic was getting good it goes and dies on us.  Still, at least Diana's fittingly got the pencilling job and I think I just saw the most hilarious product placement ever :P

Really bummed that Boom is leaving just because of mismanagement. Hoping the same doesn't hold true to Mega Man's hiatus but i'm not holding my breath for it.

Skelly's work is really great here. It's just really fun to look at.

Really bummed that Boom is leaving just because of mismanagement. Hoping the same doesn't hold true to Mega Man's hiatus but i'm not holding my breath for it.

Boom is still continuing through the super specials and the digest. Atleast the Sonic Boom franchise still has stuff to keep it going. Its Mega Man that you should be worried about since the franchise has nothing going for it at the moment until the TV show comes out.

Where did you get the info that the Boom comic is ending because of mismanagement? 

Where did you get the info that the Boom comic is ending because of mismanagement? 

I believe this has to do with Archie's kickstarter fiasco. The basics of this have been that Archie had spent a good bit of money on getting more of their books out there through places like Wal-Mart and Target. To recoup these costs, and to expedite the production of their own Archie relaunch (Archie, Jughead, Betty & Veronica), they created a kickstarter. Then a couple of people who run comic shops threw a tantrum and Archie decided it'd be better PR to cave in to the demands of a vocal minority and cancel the kickstarter. This, of course, still leaves them short, and it appears they're taking the costs out of producing these other books out of other lines, most notably the Action line (Sonic Boom on-going book canceled, Mega Man on hiatus).

Now, this is mostly speculation, as Archie hasn't said anything official on the matter. But the timing of these things, particularly Boom's cancellation and Mega Man's hiatus, despite both titles doing fairly well for what they are (Boom more so, but Mega Man was surviving even if it did lower numbers than Sonic, if only by a little), suggests the hasty ending of the kickstarter is at least partly to blame.

Sending the book off on the most meta Sonic commentary possible. Now I'm sad that the book's going away. I just hope Diana keeps getting to work on really great issues. All of the books she's drawn have been my all time favourites of the whole Sonic Comic Series' run. 

I take it that this year of Sonic Boom will also be its last. We're getting awfully close to Episode 52 these days. 

Edited by LongcrierCat

Sending the book off on the most meta Sonic commentary possible. Now I'm sad that the book's going away. I just hope Diana keeps getting to work on really great issues. All of the books she's drawn have been my all time favourites of the whole Sonic Comic Series' run. 

I take it that this year of Sonic Boom will also be its last. We're getting awfully close to Episode 52 these days. 

Not unless the show's renewed. 

Well that brings up my other point. Design regardless, I don't really want to see her. I'm not nearly as attached to her as I am to the other fighters, but even so we may have a few many heroic characters on the team. I don't remember much of what Dulcy did in the cartoon, I'll be honest. But we already have a plane, and a floating base that also are flying things characters can ride on. With Antoine's badass upgrade (at least, in terms of being fully active), we now Have Sonic, Rotor, Sally, Amy, Antoine, and Bunnie that are all very capable fighters on their own (not including Tails, he's much weaker in the comics, generally). That's six characters in the Freedom Fighters.

Dulcy isn't going to be part of the main team just because she reappears in the comic.

Read SU #79.

Oh shit, looks like the council is doing something that involves Time Eater.

• Thumbs Up 5

Anyone aside me reading the latest SU with Morty's voice as Silver and Rick's voice as the Prof., cause I certainly am, haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Content

That is legit my favorite joke in any Sonic comic ever. "His name is Egg Fan 91! Why does he criticize everything I do?"

Being a fan =/= liking everything somebody does.

Though having it come from Boom Eggman makes sense since he's someone who always expects praise for everything he does would not get this kind of logic.

Edited by DarkLight

Off panel....

Off_Panel_SB_11.jpg

Was that a reference to the Nintendo 64 and Donkey Kong?

And there's another story in issue 11, which is a slight continuation.....

And with that, Rest in peace Boom comic series.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can clearly see that the cancellation was kind of  a surprise to anyone working on this series: outside of the editorial, nothing is said about its abrupt ending, not even in the off-panel. You would expect that a series so fully-aware would joke about it, but, alas, absolutely nada.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, at least it was a good last issue. And I'm happy to hear that it's going to be in the super specials and digest anyway. To be honest, I think it would have made more sense to just include it there in the first place. It's not as if something with such short and punchy (albeit entertaining) plots really needs an entire monthly book to itself, really. It wouldn't have come off nearly as much as "OH GOD WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF MONEY CANCEL EVERYTHING" if they'd just put it there in the first place.