Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

So, Ian's trying to get a Twitter Hype Train going for him to write either a Sonic or a Megaman game.

... Is it sad that I actually really, really want this?

• Thumbs Up 6

^Don't worry, you're not alone.

I Don't mind Pontac and Graff too much and they have their good and bad moments, but I'd prefer Flynn's take of the sonic characters if given the coice. His writing is a big part of why I'm enjoying the comics so much, especially since the reboot. Not to say he might be the best person for this position ever, but when he's good, he's really good (Champions for example).

I think it might be well worth a try to have him write the story for a new title. Of course, much of it depends on how much freedom he might be given by SEGA. Wouldn't be much use to bring him in, only for him to get hit by the same annoying restrictions like Pontac & Graff did. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering how a lot of us think he has a better grasp of Sonic and his world better than Sonic Team does right now, and far better than what Pontac and Graff have been providing (which I should emphasize that I still think it's Sonic Team's fault for still having them on a chain), that's not an uncommon opinion around here.

Not sure how to feel about him writing for Megaman tho. Megaman isn't in the same boat of shitty writing that the Sonic games are in. Plus, I can't say I'm that huge a fan of classic Megaman compared to the X, ZX, and especially the Zero series, but I'd be interested in seeing his first shot at it.

Not gonna hold my breath for either one, but I'm definitely gonna root for Flynn4Sonic. That said, yeah we should definitely be mindful that he might not fare better than Pontac and Graff if they're just gonna chain him to the same leash - I don't want comic exclusive characters brought into the games, but I do want Ian's story ideas on the characters already in the games:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

While I think Ian has a good feel for the characters (especially Knuckles and Team Dark), I'm not sure how exactly that would translate to the games. It would depend on what exactly he is allowed to do and what SEGA would be okay with. Granted, the comics are the same but I'm assuming the games would be an entirely different beast. Still, he has my vote if I had to pick somebody. As for Mega Man, sure why not 

It might be a pipe dream, but I so vote Flynn4Sonic. I feel that he can really bring out the characterization in Sonic and friends and can write an interest story with arcs in them which can make them pretty enjoyable or at least interesting, so having Ian write for a Sonic game would be really great. Plus, it would be a much better option than both Pontac and Graff.

• Thumbs Up 6

The newest issue was pretty good. I think the only objection I have to it is Naugus' wizard hat. I mean, i get that he's a wizard, but I don't think the hat looks good on him.

But how will you know they're wizards if they don't have the most obvious and cliché design choices possible?

How else would you know that Von Schlemmer isn't a mad professor if he doesn't have a over the top and cliche design?

It's a wizard hat added to Naugus' design. If you have issues and claiming it's cliche and obvious, then you must not have thought much of his original design either.

Hey, if this leads to Tails, Knuckles, and Amy finally getting good writing again, then I'm all for it.

He may not be making the stories to the games, but the characters being portrayed properly, is something the games has been needing for a while.

I figured the hat was added to give him a direct connection to

Wendy, whose design is pretty much the same from her original game appearance in 1993.

I mean, sure, the hat's generic, but if they're going to tie him into a pre-existing game character, I don't see an issue with him having it in the first place.

How else would you know that Von Schlemmer isn't a mad professor if he doesn't have a over the top and cliche design?

It's a wizard hat added to Naugus' design. If you have issues and claiming it's cliche and obvious, then you must not have thought much of his original design either.

I've actually never liked his design, or at least how it's done. It's one of the cleanest examples of "please simplify the construction here god", Bates makes him work, but otherwise there hasn't been one single good Naugus drawn throughout either the comic or SatAM.

And Zaysho, problem with your theory is that Witchkart has a cloak, like the witch in Snow White, not a witches' hat :V

Basically I'm lamenting yet another rendition of the stereotypical American symbols of "witch" when we could've had something a touch more interesting, if only by going into another culture's symbols for "witch".

Not that Witchkart has any brilliant design either, but going from bland in 1993 on a Game Gear game that the artists were so uninterested in that the cover actively has a different design as a result of misreading the sprites to bland in 2015 in a comic is a touch different.

Plus with the artists they actually have going around nowadays? We should be getting amazing, fun, simple, memorable designs every single issue. So far only Skelly is anywhere near that, since the reboot- princess Afro Fish (there's another annoyance- in the same year where we get Splatoon doing a fresh take on shellfish civilization, we get Archie going down the beaten Aqua Man path) was amazing, to where I can excuse some overdetailing.

Oh and Captain Metal I suppose. Keep forgetting that's post-reboot.

The reboot was bursting with promise and potential visually, that seems to have plunged. Ah well.

Edited by The KKM

OK, looking at some images again, I can see a cloak, but the way the sprite looks I can also see why they interpreted it as a hat. The artwork would suggest the red part is her hair, but the sprite gives the impression she's wearing all black and a hat with red trim and she has white hair.

I suppose it's another case like how they ended up interpreting Speedy where they just had a single piece of artwork and a sprite to work from and the results aren't quite right, but whatever.

EDIT: I also made a mistake in saying 1993 for Sky Patrol when it's 1995.

Edited by Zaysho

Yeah, the sprite requires you to look at all the sprites, not just one or two, to get the whole design. It's a cloak, with bright red shoes under it (presumably a Wizard of Oz joke). The cover artwork, as I said, misreads this, and has the sideburns as a hat brim and the red as a bouffant.

piu4JBk.png

Problem is, the design clearly ignores the cover overall- the hat has no poofy brim, the hair is white- so I'd wager the hats are really just because "they're HWITCHES". Which isn't some capital sin, but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan. a cool hood or something, come on. You'd even get the chance to give Naugus one too!

It's not that big a deal (I'm genuinely more annoyed at the claw hand, or even the fact she's a troll at all, feels like more "humans must be and look boring!" syndrome the comic has), and I have my own other reasons to not like this much, but it's just eh. It's symptomatic of a boring aesthetic, I'd say.

On the good side I suppose, Tundra looks legit cool until he gets his hood down.

Edited by The KKM

Yeah, I see what you mean. I haven't played Sky Patrol, but seeing her sprites, I do see how they could have potentially pushed it more instead of defaulting to that kind of shorthand. I don't really have a problem with the design we got, but I do get where you might find the more humanoid characters a little on the bland and generic side.I haven't really been bothered by them, but I can admit I haven't really cared for them a bunch either, compared to, say, Breezie's redesign, which I love. They're just there.

Though, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe giving them something similar to the Ixis cloaks might've worked.

New solicits are out.

And with it comes the last piece of undeniable proof that the Super Special Magazine is dead.

Good riddance, tbh.

They should've scrapped it and the Digest instead of axing MM & Boom

Also, WOOO! Another Eggman arc!

• Thumbs Up 1

and for those who don't want to use the link:

sonic-280-151086.jpg sonic-280var-151087.jpg

SONIC'S WORLD TOUR CONTINUES in, "Keys to Victory":

Sonic, Tails and Chip head to the Efrikan settlement of Mazuri to find the next set of Gaia Keys—but they’ll have to go through the tough and menacing Axel, the Egg Boss of the Efrika Egg Army, to find them!  While deep in the heart of the Gaia Temple, Chip finds something incredible—but you’ll just have to wait and see what it is! Then, in “A Special Occasion,” Sally and Rotor are one girl’s only hope in a family emergency! Featuring awesome cover art by jamming Jamal Peppers and an "Altered Beast" variant by the exquisite Erik Ly!

Script: Ian Flynn
Art: Jamal Peppers, Jennifer Hernandez, Terry Austin, John Workman & Gabriel Cassata
Sonic the Hedgehog #280 CVR A Reg: Jamal Peppers, Terry Austin & Ben Hunzeker
Sonic the Hedgehog #280 CVR B Variant: Erik Ly
On Sale Date: 1/13
32-page, full color comic
$3.99 U.S.

sonicuniv-83-151089.jpg sonicuniv-83var-151090.jpg

SONIC UNIVERSE #83

EGGMAN'S BASE is UNDER ATTACK in, "Eggman’s Dozen" Part One:

Dr. Eggman’s plans for controlling the shattered world were going perfectly—until now!  The wizard warlords—the Naugus Twins—have taken over Eggman's base and Dr. Eggman’s source of Dark Gaia energy!  No mere robots will do for this mission—the doctor’s going to need ALL his Egg Bosses! Featuring cover art by Mr. Sonic comics himself, Tracy Yardley, and an "Evil Genius" variant by CG artist supreme, Rafa Knight!

Art: Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash, Jack Morelli & Matt Herms
Sonic Universe #83 CVR A Reg: Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash & Matt Herms
Sonic Universe #83 CVR B Variant: Rafa Knight
On Sale Date: 12/23
32-page, full color comic
$3.99 U.S.

sonicsuperdig-15-151088.jpg 

SONIC SUPER DIGEST #15

Sonic Comic Origins continues this month with an ALL-NEW story featuring Razor the Shark! This never-before-seen tale showcases an EXCLUSIVE back-story to the underwater side of the new Sonic Comic universe with one of the most popular new characters to debut in the series! It's a real splash this month in Sonic Super Digest! Plus, don’t miss all the classic fun and adventure you love in stories from the comics’ 20+ year history as Sonic and his friends embark on daring adventures, face evil villains and save the day one chili dog at a time! Race into the fun that only Archie Comics and Sonic Super Digest can bring! Featuring super duper cover art from Tyson Hesse and story & art from the biggest names in Sonic comics history!  

Art: Adam Bryce Thomas, Rick Bryant, Jack Morelli, Matt Herms & Various
Cover: Tyson Hesse
On Sale Date: 1/13
128-page, full color comic
$4.99 U.S.

I am so excited for that new Eggman arc!

As for some context regarding Super Special Magazine, the contents of Digest #15 (The Razor story at least) and that cover were both in the June solicts for Super Special Magazine #15. 

Can't say I'm going to miss it though. I used to really like the Super Special Magazines because it felt like a celebration of all 20 years of Sonic comics, having both old and new stories which meant fans of both eras could jump in and hopefully find something new to read. But now, the only thing they reprint is stories that's only a few months old and everyone who would consider even getting them would already have the stories in single issues so there wasn't a point to them. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay, so the arc is called Eggman's Dozen, so I assume he has a dozen underlings of some sort in a team. Let me see how many we might not know about...

Individuals who have worked for Eggman but are unlikely to be regarded as his troops;

-Julian Snively; Did work under Eggman for a long while, but he seems to be doing his own thing now instead of working for anyone else's ends. 

-Breezie; Only ever an agent serving herself, definitely not.

Wendy Naugus; Some have theorised that she hass the Egg Army uniform and meets the cyborg criterion, but she's actively working against him anyway. :/

Individuals who work for Eggman, but likely wouldn't fall under his Egg Army team;

-Metal Sonic; Eggman's most reliable soldier, but he seems to be ranks above the Egg Bosses. Throw Orbot and Cubot in there for that and the fact they're pathetic in combat.

-Phage; A virus who wants to serve Eggman for her own ends...but doesn't particularly strike me as a boss.

-Cassia; If the pre-reboot ranks were still in effect, I'd sooner call Cassia a Kommissar before a Grandmaster.

-Eggman; On the one hand, him being the leader of the leaders would be fitting. On the other hand, this would put him on even ground with his Egg Bosses, and why would he want that? Plus it's Eggman's Dozen, not The Eggman Dozen. 

Individuals who are definitely Egg Bosses no questions asked;

-Tundra; We just saw him.

-Clove; We'll also see her in a month.

-Nephthys; We'll see her in two months. 

-Axel; Will be seen in the concurrent Sonic comic to this.

-Thunderbolt; Already had an arc.

-Akhlut; Mentioned in the Waves of Change arc.

-Mordred; He's here too in case you forgot.

So depending on what the classification of the team is, we may have a maximum of five individuals that are currently unknown to us set to debut here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman is more of the face of the Sonic series than Sonic himself it feels. Need more Eggman,

Who is Eggboss Modred by the way, was that the Cobra guy that the Mercia Freedom Fighters were fighting or am I thinking of someone else?

• Thumbs Up 2

Eggman is more of the face of the Sonic series than Sonic himself it feels. Need more Eggman,

Who is Eggboss Modred by the way, was that the Cobra guy that the Mercia Freedom Fighters were fighting or am I thinking of someone else?

That's the guy. Mordred also made a brief appearance in Sonic #254, now the Egg Boss of Avalon. 

Didn't expect a second Eggman Arc so fast, but happy about it. Was sorta hoping for a Snivley arc, but hey, all for giving Emperor Robotnik more love. Hope to see him smack around another villain like he did in his last story with Snivley.

But I really am wanting to see a Snivley arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't expect a second Eggman Arc so fast, but happy about it. Was sorta hoping for a Snivley arc, but hey, all for giving Emperor Robotnik more love. Hope to see him smack around another villain like he did in his last story with Snivley.

I'll second this! Want more Snivley action

I'll second this! Want more Snivley action