Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I forgot about those appearances but still that was like 6 years ago right?? 2009??

Babylon Rising was October 2011-January 2012

Also, something tells me Knuckles and Amy will run into them soon.

Edited by Sonictrainer

Likely the settlement deal. 

Which has what to do with the timing of the solicits? Is there anything of the new issues that has anything remotely connected to the settlement?

Babylon Rising was October 2011-January 2012

Also, something tells me Knuckles and Amy will run into them soon.

That makes sense because if Knuckles and Amy go off to find the Master Emerald shards all the other characters are busy and it might get kind of boring so it makes sense that they might appear. But another possibility is that they will just run into The Hooligans instead.

Which has what to do with the timing of the solicits? Is there anything of the new issues that has anything remotely connected to the settlement?

Eh, right now I'd chalk this up to coincidence. The timing is suspicious, though. I don't believe there's anything in the new continuity that's connected to the old--Archie torched it. And we have to keep in mind SEGA and Archie have been pretty strict about what is and isn't fair game, to the point Flynn had to go back on earlier statements about having plans for Scourge or Shard. I think we're just going to have to wait and see, but I really don't think there's anything he can lay claim to, unless he's aiming for another Chronicles fiasco, where he thinks the vaguest, most basic concepts are somehow unique to him (i.e. saying the Nocturnus are wholesale ripoffs of the Dark Legion, something I've seen taken apart quite a few times here. And this is before we get into the delicious irony of him stealing Knuckles for LSC.).

Edited by Zaysho

Penders is attn whoring again? Nothing new there. IGNORE'D

I'm stoked about the return of Dulcy though. Lupe is great, but I knew she would be back sooner or later. Ian has gone on record as saying he has problems writing good stories for Dulcy, hence her absence for all these years. Here is hoping that this arc is something of a fresh start for good ol Dulce, and that Ian builds her up into something cool that we can look forward to seeing every now and again.

I'm cool if she never regains her status as part of the primary Freedom Fighters strike team, but man would it warm up the heart to have her return as an interesting character -- even if they changed her original design rather drastically.

• Thumbs Up 3

Would be difficult, but interesting, to see Dulcy be part of the main FF team.

I'm not gonna hold my breath on that tho, given she has her own team and all.

Am I the only one a bit bothered that Dulcy is coming back in what looks like Chun-nan, even though shes based off of a European dragon. No? Ok, I was just a BIT bothered anyways =/

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm only going to be bothered if Sonic and Dulcy don't go up against Dark Gaia Phoenix in "Wings of Fire" part 2.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really interested in the news these solicts are bringing.

But question: Is Akhult's new design related to a SEGA request, or it's Archie thinking that doing the "normal animals but are sapient" thing was too close to what Mike Gallagher did with the Forty Fathoms Freedom Fighters from way back in the day and they were being overcautious about not wanting any more legal trouble from old writers?

Really interested in the news these solicts are bringing.

But question: Is Akhult's new design related to a SEGA request, or it's Archie thinking that doing the "normal animals but are sapient" thing was too close to what Mike Gallagher did with the Forty Fathoms Freedom Fighters from way back in the day and they were being overcautious about not wanting any more legal trouble from old writers?

Could be a bit of both actually.  However, I think it might've been a creative decision in wanting all Mobian animals to be Sonic-ified to bring some symmetry to the table.  Mind you, that doesn't change the fact of how far they've gone to avoid any legal action in the future, but judging from Penders' latest bit of foreshadowing news, it maybe too late (assuming he's got anything tangible to take Archie to court with again).

And here's the textless versions of Boom 11 and the Variant (final) of 281:

sonic_281_valentines_cover_by_nerfuffle-

...Am I looking at this way too hard, or...  Okay.  Open up the full image and zoom to the top edge of the grass, about a quarter of the way up from the bottom.  Look right from the ghost girl, between two fallen arrows (and below the toe of Sonic's right shoe).  Is that an uncoloured version of one of those Sonic CD mosquito badniks stuck in the ground?

• Thumbs Up 3

So, looking at the end of 277's first story, I noticed the red Wolf Pack girl. Considering that Pen thought Shade infringed on Julie, it wouldnt bea stretch to think he'd think this incidental character is a ripoff of Leeta/Lyco.

...Am I looking at this way too hard, or...  Okay.  Open up the full image and zoom to the top edge of the grass, about a quarter of the way up from the bottom.  Look right from the ghost girl, between two fallen arrows (and below the toe of Sonic's right shoe).  Is that an uncoloured version of one of those Sonic CD mosquito badniks stuck in the ground?

...It's not you, there is a mosquito like thing there!

(Link to the DA Version because it shows it 10Xbigger)

I have absolutely no clue. If I were to spectate, I'd say it has something to do with Lupe/Dulcy/Conquering Storm's return, but again, I have no idea, it's a guess on my part, but that's the only big news I can think of that he can possibly try make such a big deal out of.

The hell he getting bothered about characters that aren't even his? Two of those characters were from the cartoon, The Wolfpack warriors don't even resemble Leeta and Lyco, and Conquering Storm is Ian's original character is it not, along with the other 4 brides, dude gotta stop making crap up top complain about.

Ugh whatever, I don't get what's going on, must be something small cause I don't get what's up.

Edited by Dantemustdie00

Both of those options sound extremely unlikely to me. I'd bet it was just their own decision, e.g. because they wanted consistency in character designs. I don't really blame them, even though I love the reference.

But the absence of the Forty Fathoms Freedom Fighters does sort of explain why. In the old universe, having sentient undersea animals that look just like real animals already had a basis in canon. Now that they've clearly established that underwater Mobians don't look like that, it doesn't really make any sense for some to look just like real animals and others to have the extremely un-lifelike Sonic character look. Overall, I'm very glad for this consistency, because what we had in the old continuity (some characters looking a lot like real animals, others looking like, well, Sonic characters) was really annoying to me, even if we have to lose a great reference.

The sentient life-like animals produced a bit of an uncanny valley that was kinda weird in the old universe. They weren't similar to the animals you freed from the capsules either, so I can see why they changed Muttski, Akhult and Dulcy to be more Mobian-esque. It's a two birds with one stone type deal, where they could add characters and repurpose old ones with new roles. You could argue that it kinda got rid of some of the uniqueness from the old universe, but I don't think anybody was really clamoring for these characters to come back in their old forms, so I don't mind the change since this will breed new life into them.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, also it's interesting to think, that if we look at that scaling right, then Dulcy is around Silver Sonic's size, which means she is 4-5 times the sonic, and still able to carry others around(I mean all flight characters do it). Giant characters with normal proportions can work fine, I mean look at the Titans in Transformers

The sentient life-like animals produced a bit of an uncanny valley that was kinda weird in the old universe. They weren't similar to the animals you freed from the capsules either, so I can see why they changed Muttski, Akhult and Dulcy to be more Mobian-esque. It's a two birds with one stone type deal, where they could add characters and repurpose old ones with new roles. You could argue that it kinda got rid of some of the uniqueness from the old universe, but I don't think anybody was really clamoring for these characters to come back in their old forms, so I don't mind the change since this will breed new life into them.

Honestly, it's not that big a deal. I'm not gonna lie, I actually liked that diversity giving some uniqueness to the old universe and would prefer their old forms more just to show that contrast of how anthro's are completely distinct and more human that the normal animals that weren't, but it's not like it's a big issue to get in arms over.

Besides, there's more these characters can do in their new anthro forms -  there's some benefit to having opposable thumbs. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno--with Muttski at least, I think it's unnecessary. I think I would have preferred him resembling the style of the classic animal friends rather than the anthro treatment. And in Akhult's case, realistic orcas were seen in the games anyway.

Redesigning Dulcy made sense, though. I kinda wish her new design was more interesting, but what we got seems alright, so I can't really complain too much about it.

Edited by Celestia
  • Thumbs Up 1

I remember at one point, when the reboot was just starting, Ian mentioned there were three types of animals on the planet, but helll if I can find it...

He said there were "mobians", the anthromorphic animal characters; mobinis, the little animals Eggman loves to use as a power source for his robots; and regular animals that you'd find here on earth.

So there could be a scenario where a hotdog vendor rhino could be attacked by a motobug with a rhino mobini, at the zoo, in front of a wild rhino display. And it wouldn't be weird for anyone there. 

Edited by Toby
  • Thumbs Up 6

I don't understand why the concept of the anthros, the little animal buddies and regular animals existing together is such a confusing thing for some. That's always been the case in the games, lest we forget the screensavers of the classic era, Froggy's existence, and that one time Team Dark beat up on the detective crocodile and his team only to later be running from a giant normal alligator. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I remember at one point, when the reboot was just starting, Ian mentioned there were three types of animals on the planet, but helll if I can find it...

He said there were "mobians", the anthromorphic animal characters; mobinis, the little animals Eggman loves to use as a power source for his robots; and regular animals that you'd find here on earth.

So there could be a scenario where a hotdog vendor rhino could be attacked by a motobug with a rhino mobini, at the zoo, in front of a wild rhino display. And it wouldn't be weird for anyone there. 

Yep, plenty of cartoons, anime, and games and such have both Anthro's and regular animals in the same world (Goofy and Pluto, is a prime example of this, and even a Mickey Mouse short notes this as well). I don't see what people are fussing about.

Muttski and Akhlut I honestly would have preferred to stay in their old form. Muttski because I didn't see much of a point turning him Mobian, and Akhlut, because, well... I just love the idea of this Orca Whale gunning for Sonic due to Adventure. lol Though, with Akhlut, I DO see why they changed him. He's better suited as an Egg Boss if he has arms and legs. Though, honestly, i didn't even know the whale's name until this thread and had to Google him. I just knew him as "that awesome looking cyborg whale thing." I would have taken him as a completely new character. Still, liked him better as a realistic whale.

Well, this is an interesting tidbit.

Imagine instead of Eclipse the family obsessed alien we got back evil Dan Green. 

• Thumbs Up 5