Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Man, about time...

*Ian considering killing Antoine*

WAT?!?!?!

Damn that woulda sent shockwaves! And I have no clue if I would've been cool with that. I'll give Ian props for balls, but holy shit...

• Thumbs Up 4

Man, about time...

Hidden Content

WAT?!?!?!

Damn that woulda sent shockwaves! And I have no clue if I would've been cool with that. I'll give Ian props for balls, but holy shit...

I don't think I'd have been happy with it. That being said...

... at least Flynn had gotten a lot of play out of him by that point. Unlike a certain OTHER writer who shall not be named, who contemplated killing Antoine AND Rotor off due to having no idea of what to do with them, after having made as little effort as possible to actually TRY and do anything with either of them. At least by this point Flynn had done a lot with Antoine and developed him, so I can at least concede that him dying off would in fact be a genuine shocker rather than a cheap, lazy attempt at Drama.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm really glad Antoine wasn't offed. Not that I doubt Ian could've pulled it off well, but he made 'Twan my absolute favorite non-Sega!Sonic character in the entire franchise; yes, more than Shard, Sticks, or anyone from the new continuity! And now that he's got a great new design and more moves, like the spin-sword-attack from Black Knight, I feel extremely cathartic with how it all turned out.

Chapter 1 of Lost Hedgehog Tales just added another reason, in my long list, for hating McDonald's.

The reason I don't like McDonald's is because Hoopa is going to be exclusively obtained there, but that's not important.

If anything, blame Sega. Why couldn't they have a "Olympic Special" Issue like what they did with the "Halloween Free Comic Book Day" thing a few years back?

I have to say, Ian really had to work with all these sudden changes and still made the story flow. I have to commend him for it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder if this aforemented "Zone Eater" or perhaps "Dimension Eater" will end up being canonized in a crossover game between Sonic Boom and Modern Sonic, with no Classic Sonic whatsoever, and it would involve Both Eggmen (Boomingly Awesome Dr. Eggman of Bygone Island, and the Most Excellent and Efficacious Dr. Eggman of the Game World) deciding to use the thing to devour the worlds they inhabit, and make new ones in their place, where they're in control of it all, and the only way to stop it would be with Super Sonic and Boom Super Sonic, exclusive to the crossover game!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

Man, Flynn really does have to deal with Sega and Archie breathing down his neck all the time, doesn't he? I have to say, I really commend that even after building up to maybe the most emotionally packed and spectacular story capable of Sonic the Hedgehog that it was astounding that he pulled through to even have what we have now. 

Good job. That sucks that Sega is Sega and his editor has no idea what story pacing is. 

Hey, at least it's not like what Penders had planned where Snively dies and emotionally crushes Sonic. Too bad about Antoine though.

I prefer the reboot considering how it got rid of so many problems I had with the comic. Knuckles' clusterfuck of a backstory for a instance.

• Thumbs Up 4

Will Penders ever fuck off with his petty threats?

And then he tries to play the "friend card" when he's called out on it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Will Penders ever fuck off with his petty threats?

And then he tries to play the "friend card" when he's called out on it.

This is getting ridiculous. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There is nothing he is doing that is illegal with LHT.  Ken's once again trying to elevate himself through the most pathetic, condescending way possible.  All Ian's doing is telling what people what he wanted to do, free of charge.  I'm no lawyer, but there is nothing he is doing that puts him within Penders' lawsuit firing line, yet the giant jerk just wants people to fear his legal action "power". 

Then there's this one:

What issues?! The lawsuit was dealt with two years ago. The reprints have absolutely nothing to do with Ian announcing what could have been. The only issue I can think of is the thing Penders was complaining about last time, about some Impact line of reprints from Archie, which has fuck all to do with Sonic or Ian.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then there's this one:

What issues?! The lawsuit was dealt with two years ago. The reprints have absolutely nothing to do with Ian announcing what could have been. The only issue I can think of is the thing Penders was complaining about last time, about some Impact line of reprints from Archie, which has fuck all to do with Sonic or Ian.

I'm just saying. This is in the Penders thread. Remember how we jumped to conclusions when we thought his new legal action had something to do with characters he obviously didn't own? I really think we should leave it there until something actually happens that's going to have an actual affect on things...

Why did he leave again?

It's a bit of a story but to sum up.

The editor who worked with Ken and Karl (The other writer at the time) was more or less extremely lazy, and didn't bother to do his job. Where the editor was meant to read the issues, and do things in order to make them more like Sega's vision, he didn't do that job, and more or less handed complete free reign of the comic over to Penders and Bollers. This meant they could do anything they pleased with the world and characters, which lead to the infamous soap opera arcs, the tons and tons of fan characters, and the other incredibly awful crap like the entirety of the Knuckles series. 

On top of that, Sega didn't care about the comic that much, and it was a lot less restricted compared to now, and because of the fact it was exclusive to one country, it's an incredibly small blip on their franchise. Because of the laziness of both the editor, and Sega, it meant a whole bunch of Ken and Karl's shit were going unchecked, and it got to the point where the two were fighting one another, and intentionally ruining each other's planned plots in order to spite each other.

You see, despite the fact that the entire world and characters were free for both to use, and both had to work together for the plot, Penders wanted it all to himself. He claimed that all the echidnas, and Knuckles was his playbox, not Karl's. It also meant that absolutely fuck all was being done in terms of the Echidnas because Penders wanted to portray them as perfect and wouldn't do a thing with them. Then came Return to Angel Island, written by Karl, which is regarded as one of the few great stories during that era, which actually had a good amount of stakes, and had most characters written well.

But Penders didn't like that, and took a hissy fit. He took Karl's plan to reveal Antoine went Rouge, and instead altered it so Antoine was replaced by Patch, who was planning to completely ruin Antoine's life in one of the most soap opera arcs in the series to date.

Then Karl quit, and a new editor came in right in the middle of Penders' current Mobius 20 Years Later arc, which is regarded as the absolute worse arc in the series because it had fuck all in it. The future was perfect, and the story was set on Mary-Sue, I mean Lara-Su, who had to deal with the stresses of slumber parties, not getting her way, and girlfriends. Because that's what you want in a Sonic story.

After the comic got complaints regarding the storyline, the new editor began enforcing rules and wanted Penders to include a evil King Shadow into the story to try give it some stakes, and include more of the Sega cast. Penders took a hissy fit, and once again quit. And in my own speculation, he probably believed the comic couldn't run without him, and they'd come crawling back to him begging him to rejoin.

It backfired however, because Sega and Archie hired Ian Flynn, and the comic became so much better.

I'm just saying. This is in the Penders thread. Remember how we jumped to conclusions when we thought his new legal action had something to do with characters he obviously didn't own? I really think we should leave it there until something actually happens that's going to have an actual affect on things...

I doubt it. There's other ones about Ian posting things prematurely, and literally Lost Hedgehog Tales is the only thing Ian has posted.

• Thumbs Up 2

That...doesn't really seem like it confirms anything.

Either way, he has a point. In fact, this sounds more like it would be Archie having a problem with Ian in this scenario, rather than Penders' side of things. So, if all this vagueness really was about LHT, then I suppose he thinks that Archie's upset right now. Whether or not that's the case, who knows, but I'm guessing not. I mean, you'd think Ian would have made sure to get the green light for this sort of thing ahead of time--especially since it's already getting into stuff like mandates and the like.

• Thumbs Up 1

If things are as tight fisted as we've heard about the comics nowadays, what with mandates and editors, I know Ian will have been careful. He always asks for permission we're told, whether it be a story idea or a character integration and this would be no different. Ken just wants to rustle our jimmies like the manipulative bully he is. Besides, Ian is technically doing the same thing he is, just not eventually charging for it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Plus, this whole thing was two years in the making.

Everyone knew about this coming, and in that span of time I'm pretty sure the folks at Archie would have already known by now. I can't see how Ian wouldn't have gottten premission by now - if that were even required in the first place. And given how this is free, and the old continuity gone, the content revealed basically constitutes as a bit of fanfiction, which is a pretty tricky area to make a lawsuit over these days, isn't it?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 3

Plus, this whole thing was two years in the making.

Everyone knew about this coming, and in that span of time I'm pretty sure the folks at Archie would have already known by now. I can't see how Ian wouldn't have gottten premission by now - if that were even required in the first place. And given how this is free, and the old continuity gone, the content revealed basically constitutes as a bit of fanfiction, which is a pretty tricky area to make a lawsuit over these days, isn't it?

Penders wording seems to indicate that he himself isn't going to do anything, just that he seems to be under the impression that it might upset 'certain parties', though naturally he hasn't mentioned who or what those parties would be and why this would upset them. Given that this was known about for the last two years and after all the fuckery that happened because of Penders, I'd be hard pressed to believe that Flynn didn't talk about this with his higher ups first to make abolutely sure everything was kosher. 

While he might not be directly threatening anything, Penders actions still constitute a pretty passive aggressive form of bullying, given his past statement towards Flynn and his tendancy to either subtly or not-so-subtly disparage the guy. I think at the end of the day, Penders WANTS this to be true and to make others think it is true, simply so that he can spite Flynn for doing something for free that Penders wants money for... namely, giving closure to ideas and plotline that were never finished within the comic. 

Pure speculation of course, but I wouldn't put it past the guy. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just to let you guys know, Ian said that Max, Mach, and Sharps (the other members of Mina's band) should be fair game due to being SegaSonic.

Not really big, but still noteworthy.

Edited by Arranos

Meh...

Were it not for the lawsuit, I'd rather have Mina back than them.I couldn't care any less about those three.

S'no big deal if they come back, but not really something I find interesting at the moment.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 6

Well they can be rightfully fit into the canon now as Sonic's former bandmates, Be cool to hear archie's side of how Sonic and Vector formed a band.

• Thumbs Up 2