Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I think we can see another Crossover, next year, this time with that Second Devourer as the focal point, and it would be up to Sonic, Sonic (Sonic Boom Variant) and Mega Man to defeat them, this time! Screw the mandates, this will be in the 25th Anniversary!

I doubt this. 

Why would we get two Sonic universes, but only one Mega Man? 

And that's not even pointing out the more obvious problems with this idea- the likely event that Mega Man's book never returns from hiatus, the pointlessness of bringing him into a crossover made to celebrate Sonic's anniversary, the fact that Sega refuses to let the Boom versions of the game characters meet their mainstream counterparts, and the fact that the main Sonic storyline has already been interrupted three times in the last five years (if you count Genesis)

Edited by Forte-Metallix
  • Thumbs Up 8

Why would we get two Sonic universes, but only one Mega Man? 

And that's not even pointing out the more obvious problems with this idea- the likely event that Mega Man's book never returns from hiatus, the pointlessness of bringing him into a crossover made to celebrate Sonic's anniversary, the fact that Sega refuses to let the Boom versions of the game characters meet their mainstream counterparts, and the fact that the main Sonic storyline has already been interrupted three times in the last five years (if you count Genesis)

You know, I don't get the logic of Mega Man not returning when they've been pretty clear about it being a hiatus. If Archie wanted to kill the license, wouldn't they have just cancelled it outright? I dunno, it just irks me to see people say this. I really liked Mega Man, too, and I'm equally bothered by Archie putting it on break (especially considering the most likely reasons), but I just think we're jumping to conclusions about the book's fate unnecessarily. Sorry it's off-topic, but I've seen this attitude a lot here since the announcement a few months ago, and I'm just tired of it.

As for another crossover? Good lord, no! I'd rather the creative team not waste their time on pointless stories that don't matter in the grand scheme of things and halt the progress of the on-going narratives. We're two years into this reboot and I feel like we're just barely getting started, so I hope the book isn't interrupted like that ever again.

Edited by Zaysho

You know, I don't get the logic of Mega Man not returning when they've been pretty clear about it being a hiatus. If Archie wanted to kill the license, wouldn't they have just cancelled it outright? I dunno, it just irks me to see people say this. I really liked Mega Man, too, and I'm equally bothered by Archie putting it on break (especially considering the most likely reasons), but I just think we're jumping to conclusions about the book's fate unnecessarily. Sorry it's off-topic, but I've seen this attitude a lot here since the announcement a few months ago, and I'm just tired of it.

As for another crossover? Good lord, no! I'd rather the creative team not waste their time on pointless stories that don't matter in the grand scheme of things and halt the progress of the on-going narratives. We're two years into this reboot and I feel like we're just barely getting started, so I hope the book isn't interrupted like that ever again.

Thank you it's really getting annoying. I'm mad too but I'm not going out of my way harassing them and trolling them on twitter and hoping they go under over something as stupid and a comic book. 

Thank you it's really getting annoying. I'm mad too but I'm not going out of my way harassing them and trolling them on twitter and hoping they go under over something as stupid and a comic book. 

Ugh. Don't remind me.

The worry about Mega Man's hiatus is that Archie didn't (and still hasn't to my knowledge) give a time when it would end. Like a "Mega Man is taking a hiatus, but will be back by Summer 2016!" deal. It's pretty much been theorized that they are using the costs to make Mega Man and using it for one of the nu-Archie books, like Jughead or Betty and/or Veronica.

What doesn't help is that the vibe of the last issue gives me the same vibe as the last of the 2009 Batgirl series, where the writer would show off what story ideas they had but couldn't anymore since the universe was rebooted; what with that cover having the various Mega Men from Zero & Legends and all. At least it's not a "Capcom pulled the license" deal since I vaguely remember them saying that they were "disappointed by Archie's decision, but accepted it" from when it was announced, but if Archie doesn't want to bring it back because they want to make a nu-Josie and the Pussycats book, then there's not much else to do.

A better comparison is New Crusaders a book written by Ian Flynn that was on hiatus. Although that was their own fault since they decided to go digital only which isn't a bad idea but it was poorly executed. The thing with Mega Man is that a lot of people seem to forget is this book was at the verge of cancellation years ago if it wasn't for Worlds Collide we would of never gotten as far in the book as we are now. It might of sold better than Archie's main stuff but for a book that they are paying for the licensed it was pretty bad. It doesn't help that the Mega Man franchise is niche and the way Capcom has been treating it for the last few years hasn't been helping at all. 

Ugh. Don't remind me.

The worry about Mega Man's hiatus is that Archie didn't (and still hasn't to my knowledge) give a time when it would end. Like a "Mega Man is taking a hiatus, but will be back by Summer 2016!" deal. It's pretty much been theorized that they are using the costs to make Mega Man and using it for one of the nu-Archie books, like Jughead or Betty and/or Veronica.

What doesn't help is that the vibe of the last issue gives me the same vibe as the last of the 2009 Batgirl series, where the writer would show off what story ideas they had but couldn't anymore since the universe was rebooted; what with that cover having the various Mega Men from Zero & Legends and all. At least it's not a "Capcom pulled the license" deal since I vaguely remember them saying that they were "disappointed by Archie's decision, but accepted it" from when it was announced, but if Archie doesn't want to bring it back because they want to make a nu-Josie and the Pussycats book, then there's not much else to do.

Yeah, I understand the worry to a degree, but I just want to be a little optimistic that Archie isn't going to blindside us like that and the book is going to return and continue where it left off. Perhaps I'm being a little too optimistic, but with so much up in the air regarding it, I don't want to assume the worst yet. That said, I honestly wish Mega Man wasn't the book they were taking the costs out of to fund their Archie reboot. I know that's the flagship and all, and it makes sense that's where their focus needs to be, but it would've made more sense to delay books from their Dark Circle and Horror lines--they're so sporadically released, no one would notice anyway. Honestly, the whole situation just makes me mad they caved and cancelled their kickstarter.

Admittedly, I hadn't thought of the implications of showing the other Mega Man time periods, so I can see where you're coming from. Who knows at this point, but if Archie is intent on keeping the license (and they are releasing new collections next year, so I'd say they are), I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully that pans out.

Even if you're being optimistic about Mega Man and it comes back and everything continues on like normal, there's nothing to suggest that it would happen in time for Sonic's anniversary.

Even if you're being optimistic about Mega Man and it comes back and everything continues on like normal, there's nothing to suggest that it would happen in time for Sonic's anniversary.

I personally don't expect that... doesn't make much sense anyway.

I'm just optimistic the book ain't dead.

A better comparison is New Crusaders a book written by Ian Flynn that was on hiatus. Although that was their own fault since they decided to go digital only which isn't a bad idea but it was poorly executed. The thing with Mega Man is that a lot of people seem to forget is this book was at the verge of cancellation years ago if it wasn't for Worlds Collide we would of never gotten as far in the book as we are now. It might of sold better than Archie's main stuff but for a book that they are paying for the licensed it was pretty bad. It doesn't help that the Mega Man franchise is niche and the way Capcom has been treating it for the last few years hasn't been helping at all. 

Ian has repeatedly said the book was never low enough to risk cancelling. The main reason he kept asking for more sales is because it wasn't selling enough to sustain a second book either, and he wanted to write X.

I personally don't expect that... doesn't make much sense anyway.

I'm just optimistic the book ain't dead.

Not you specifically, just the general "you" of the forum/readership.

Never mind the Mega Man! Maybe Archie Comics can instead team up with IDW, and make a crossover event between Sonic the Hedgehog and Doctor Who, where the Doctor and Clara Oswald help Sonic deal with this mysterious new enemy, and bring in Classic Sonic and Classic Tails for the ride! Or it can just be a retelling of Sonic Generations, no crossovers needed.

Edited by YoshiAngemon

Never mind the Mega Man! Maybe Archie Comics can instead team up with IDW, and make a crossover event between Sonic the Hedgehog and Doctor Who, where the Doctor and Clara Oswald help Sonic deal with this mysterious new enemy, and bring in Classic Sonic and Classic Tails for the ride! Or it can just be a retelling of Sonic Generations, no crossovers needed.

...Again, why would Sonic celebrate his anniversary by crossing over with a completely unrelated franchise, let alone one from a different publisher?

And why would they adapt a, at that point, five-year-old game that not only already happened in this universe, but we already know everything that became of it?

• Thumbs Up 9

Let's not encourage IDW to do more of their bullshit crossovers.

And why would it be with something as completely random as Doctor Who? There's comparsions you can make between Sonic and Mega Man. There's fuck all you can make between Sonic and Doctor Who. You might as make a crossover between Metal Gear Solid and Snow White next.

Well, it's not like it's gonna be a completely original plot that's NEVER gonna be made into a game, that will end up selling poorly, being a ripoff of the comics, because all we're ever gonna get for the 25th Anniversary of Sonic are Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice, Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics, and a Sonic Legacy Collection which is basically Sonic Mega Collection in a new case.

Yeah, stop with the crossovers already, especially during the time of Sonic's or another game franchises anniversary.

At the very least not crossovers with other companies like Capcom or Nintendo, if I wanted to see any other game series crossover during Sonic's anniversary, it would be Sega  and Sega alone, no one else, no others should be even involved unless it's purely Sega.

But even still, I would keep it within the Sonic Universe and try not to involve anything else, let's get this Sonic Unleashed adaption over with already without further interruptions.

Edited by Dantemustdie00
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, it's not like it's gonna be a completely original plot that's NEVER gonna be made into a game, that will end up selling poorly, being a ripoff of the comics, because all we're ever gonna get for the 25th Anniversary of Sonic are Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice, Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympics, and a Sonic Legacy Collection which is basically Sonic Mega Collection in a new case.

I don't understand your point here? Exactly what does this got to do with the topic at hand? What the hell does a Sonic/Doctor Who crossover got to do with being an original plot? That's not the point I'm making. What is the point of making a crossover? What is the connection? Why should these two chaarcters crossover? What the flying fuck do they have to do with each other? 

Sonic and Mega Man are two iconic gaming legends, with similar nicknames, similar character dynamics, such as a rival who later turns into a friend, and such, similar nicknames, both published by Archie in terms of comics, same comic writer, and a lot of similar stuff such as fighting an evil doctor who uses robots to take over the world. There's so many similarities that people can see a crossover working. They can see connections, and such. They're both platforming games as well, so that's another one right there. 

Something like Sonic and Doctor Who however? Literally the one comparable thing is time travel, and even then, Sonic's are so painfully terrible that it's not worth it. What's going to be suggested next? Mario crossing over with Back to the Future? Rayman crossing over with Jurassic Park? Zelda crossing over with Big Hero 6? There is no connection and absolutely fuck all reason for these characters to crossover with each other.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, speaking as a guy who really do dig his fair share of crossover content throughout his life (and even made his own crossover story... which he'll be back to working on as soon as he gets his new Chromebook), I think we can do without any further crossover Sonic comics for the time being, especially with something as unrelated as stuff like Doctor Who. On top of holding back the main post-reboot stories even further than what's already happened with Worlds Unite, but it also just makes Sonic look like he's trying to out-Turbo Turbo.

• Thumbs Up 8

I forgot to say "FORGET THE CROSSOVERS!" That's the probkem! Plus, crossovers would be meant to get people into the stories of other franchises, just to jump the sales up.

I forgot to say "FORGET THE CROSSOVERS!" That's the probkem! Plus, crossovers would be meant to get people into the stories of other franchises, just to jump the sales up.

We know that.

We're asking why these two franchises specifically should crossover, when they have virtually nothing in common, they come from different publishers, and there's no point in making Sonic share the spotlight for a story celebrating his anniversary and his alone.

• Thumbs Up 5

Please no more crossovers, They're pretty much useless at this point.

Can we please just wrap up the Shattered World Crisis and move on? 

And how the heck would a Sonic/Doctor Who crossover even work?

Edited by Dan-Dude
  • Thumbs Up 3

And how the heck would a Sonic/Doctor Who crossover even work?

It wouldn't. It barely worked with Megaman the first time, and it sure as hell didn't the second time.

I wish that deal to make Mario and Zelda or Metroid comics Archie pitched had come through, though. There would be so much potential, if the Megaman comics prove anything about how brilliantly they can adapt games (Sonic's just kind of a weird case, really)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want a third Mega Man crossover. I'm a fan of both. Fuck, if I wasn't such a big fan of Archie Mega Man especially, I wouldn't have a Mega Man profile picture, or likely wouldn't have even gotten into the games, but Worlds Unite was one of the biggest letdowns of the year. An absolutely rushed, and shitty disgrace of a cash cow storyline.  One that is a complete and utter embarrassment for everyone involved, and it's frankly one of the few times I found myself incredibly disappointed in Ian's work. 

Worlds Collide felt like a love letter to fans of both franchises. Filled with inside jokes, references, and attempts to make the worlds mesh. It's an incredible arc in my opinion, with the best artists and writer that both books have had. On the other hand Worlds Unite has barely any of those references, it's a complete clusterfuck while somehow still not having enough of a plot to validate existing, most of the dialogue is exposition, Eggman and Wily barely have any screen time, and when they do, it's only spouting exposition, meaning we have none of the fun bromance which made the doctors so enjoyable. The Deadly Six aren't entertaining, and are just turned into generic mooks, Sigma is somehow turned into a cliche villain. 

That's not to mention that Worlds Unite's plot is a complete rehash of Worlds Collide, only not as well written, or as enjoyable. Two threats from each world team up in order to give themselves reality bending powers. forcing a team up between heroes from other worlds. But that's not to mention that fact that all the extra Sega/Capcom characters are useless, and not used well at all, Ian decided to make Sonic's #275 milestone into 10-12 pages of just art, with absolutely no dialogue whatsoever, and in general, it just wasn't a good plot whatsoever. 

And that's not even mentioning stuff like how Part 1's art was meh, Part 2's art was complete and utter shit (Big head Sticks should be in the fucking nightmare fuel thread), and most of the jokes are pretty terrible. The only highlights personally was the X meets Mega Man story, Part 3's art, and Mega Man's face in Part 12. @The Deleter knows what I'm talking about :P

Edited by Ryannumber1gamer
  • Thumbs Up 2