Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

You're seriously accusing Ian Flynn of lying about the Sega mandates?

And your evidence for this is... ???

I can sort of understand where you're coming from; before the reboot, there was a fair bit of romantic tension between Sonic and Sally, despite them not getting back together officially...but post-reboot they're running a much tighter ship in that regard. Since the reboot, several mandates are being followed more strictly than they were before, likely because of the difficulty created by previous continuity contradicting the mandates. But that doesn't mean the mandates don't exist...I mean, if they didn't exist, I struggle to explain why Ian & co. have done all the things they did. Like, why get rid of Mighty's connection to the Chaotix? Why get rid of the Sonally romance (which they HAVE gotten rid of post-reboot as far as I can tell, though to be fair I haven't read every issue)?

Please explain this position of yours and how you came to draw this conclusion, 'cuz right now I just don't get it.

I'm not saying there's no way the mandates could've been handled better or anything like that, but you really can't expect people to take you seriously if you go so far as to make bizarre claims such as this. Maybe there is an actual issue to be discussed here, but I cannot for the life of me understand your position or how you got there. You're claiming that mandates are an excuse for comics to not include features from the games...how??

It would be nice if you could give more specific examples of how exactly mandates have been abused.

• Thumbs Up 6

The moment you start talking about the Gestapo in a franchise about fast hedgehogs is the moment you've lost all control. Stop this silly argument and get back to talking about something that's actually real.

• Thumbs Up 6

Technically the Mighty being separate fron the Chaotix thing wasn't a mandate, but an experience in the past made Ian want to be more safe than sorry.

Well I mean, there wasn't actually anything that said he was part of the Chaotix either, right? The Japanese manual stated that everyone showed up on Whogivesashit Island for different reasons, and Heroes only returned with Vector, Espio, and Charmy. So, pairing Mighty with the only other unique person he's appeared alongside and having it be an ally to the chaotix but nontheless independent from them makes sense.

Which, actually, Mighty and Ray are kind of perfect examples of the whole "wear the canon outfits" thing being violated, huh? Not to side with the other guy, but Ray hasn't looked the way he did in the games since Issue 139.

...Not that I have a problem with that, nor with Mighty's appearance. I'm honestly okay with the two of them just being whatever characters.

Edited by Shaddy Joestar Dreemurr

Which, actually, Mighty and Ray are kind of perfect examples of the whole "wear the canon outfits" thing being violated, huh? Not to side with the other guy, but Ray hasn't looked the way he did in the games since Issue 139.

...Not that I have a problem with that, nor with Mighty's appearance. I'm honestly okay with the two of them just being whatever characters.

To be fair, they are retired characters, so I imagine SEGA would be more lenient on interpreting them just like with the DiC characters. It'd probably be a different story if they decided to put Blaze in her prototype outfit or something since it's technically not representative of the character as they want her to be seen.

Yeah, like has been said before, Mighty and Ray (and any other scrapped characters) are not under mandates. You know, because Sonic Team don't want to use them. 

Then why don't we have Mighty's sister anymore? I thought that was part of the "no sega family" mandates?

Then why don't we have Mighty's sister anymore? I thought that was part of the "no sega family" mandates?

My theory is that it's just in case SEGA and/or Sonic Team changes their mind and does want to use SEGA-originated-but-currently-retired characters in the games someday. Think about it--it'd be a lot easier in the future for Mighty and Ray to switch back to their old outfits than suddenly get rid of a sibling.

I dunno, it sorta makes sense to me, given what we know.

Edited by Celestia

Well yeah, I guess so. I'd still like to see Matilda reintroduced - maybe just because I really like the duo of Mighty and Ray.

Outfits? What outfits? 

All they wear are shoes and gloves!:lol: ( at least in the guys case with a couple of accessories and Charmy being an exception)

But in all seriousness, I'm probably in the minority here who kind of likes the mandates SEGA enforces on Archie. Sure some of the rules are complete bullcrap but I honestly think it's for the best. SEGA just wants to make sure their characters stay true to their game counterparts without getting butchered into OOCness, adding unnecessary family members ( except parents because... you know)/ love interests and things that go against their character in general. Thankfully the old writers of the pre-reboot have left, and we can thankfully resume the series with just good ol' Ian and other occasional writers ( Yardley, Baker,etc).

I want to read Sonic The Hedgehog, not someone's fanfic.

• Thumbs Up 8

I thought it was Pender's dropping a hint that mighty had a sister is what made Matilda dropped?

It is. Matilda was drawn from Mighty dropping a mention of a sister way back in #120, and Archie wanted to cover their backs so much after the reboot that she was thrown out too. It has nothing to do with the family mandate, otherwise she wouldn't have been referred to as Mighty's sister in Chaotix Quest (which was after the family mandate became super enforced). 

Well that fuckin sucks. I liked Matilda even though she didn't do a whole lot.

We really don't have very much sibling interaction in this series, except maybe sorta from Sonic and Tails, but at this point that stuff's been played out.

Outfits? What outfits? 

All they wear are shoes and gloves!:lol: ( at least in the guys case with a couple of accessories and Charmy being an exception)

But in all seriousness, I'm probably in the minority here who kind of likes the mandates SEGA enforces on Archie. Sure some of the rules are complete bullcrap but I honestly think it's for the best. SEGA just wants to make sure their characters stay true to their game counterparts without getting butchered into OOCness, adding unnecessary family members ( except parents because... you know)/ love interests and things that go against their character in general. Thankfully the old writers of the pre-reboot have left, and we can thankfully resume the series with just good ol' Ian and other occasional writers ( Yardley, Baker,etc).

That's the problem with the comics now looks like a long cutscene where many things happen and almost none is interesting, I really never cared about the stories of the games mostly are bad and that's the problem with Sega tries to please everyone and all he does is divided more the fanbase of sonic.

Outfits? What outfits? 

You're not alone, tbh.

I don't miss the pre-reboot universe at all, and I'm glad the awful romantic drama, and OOC-ness of the old universe is gone.

Quite frankly, I'm glad the universe has been re-booted. It's much better now, IMO.

Edited by D.H
  • Thumbs Up 4

My only problem with the new universe (other than restrictions on stuff like Shard and Scourge) is that the colors are a little too bright. It doesn't help that Gabriel Cassata sucks in terms of coloring in general, but the mere choice of them, even when Matt Herms did them, is just trying too hard to look different for sake of doing so.

I kinda stopped being able to feel good about Terry Austin's inks in the last few issues, too. They're so unclean.

except maybe sorta from Sonic and Tails, but at this point that stuff's been played out.

Blast-Fo-Mee

When done right, that Bromance sibling affection always hits it out of the park. Like in the Fighters arc. You can never get enough of that bro on bro action.

• Thumbs Up 4

I do miss the old universe at times, but I'm very glad for the reboot. All things considered, it's a huge improvement.

Eh depends? Sonic universe? Yeah its rad, the comic proper? I don't particularly care for the werehog, and the FF. Sooo.... eh. 

I do miss the old universe at times, but I'm very glad for the reboot. All things considered, it's a huge improvement.

Same here. The reboot was never anything I wanted, but with it salvaging what it can from the old universe it still became something worthwhile and enjoyable. It being a blend of the both DiC cartoons with the games is just a major plus with the likes of Breezie and Von Schlemmer being part of the comic.

...plus, I still have Conquering Storm. That's just icing on the cake. :D

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Same here. The reboot was never anything I wanted, but with it salvaging what it can from the old universe it still became something worthwhile and enjoyable. It being a blend of the both DiC cartoons with the games is just a major plus with the likes of Breezie and Von Schlemmer being part of the comic.

...plus, I still have Conquering Storm. That's just icing on the cake. :D

I can't help but think that even if they managed to introduce Chris and Elise into the comic and made it more about them than Sonic, you'd still be fine with it as long as your waifu was still there :P

Edited by QuantumEdge
  • Thumbs Up 3

^The scary thing is, given Ian's track record, he could probably find some kind of use for both Chris and Elise.

Don't ask me how, but the dude has worked his black magic on other former blights.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'd be open to Elise being in the comic, since I actually like her (in theory, anyway, not so much in practice since '06's writing was bad). Though if she does ever appear, I think it's likely to just be a brief cameo, like Mephiles' appearance in that one Universe issue a few years ago.

Chris, however, can stay away forever and ever, thank you very much. He's definitely a case of characters that I don't even like conceptually.

• Thumbs Up 3

I can't help but think that even if they managed to introduce Chris and Elise into the comic and made it more about them than Sonic, you'd still be fine with it as long as your waifu was still there :P

And you're absolutely right!

Although as said above, given Ian's record of making the lamest characters (Big) great, and not so dangerous villains much more monstrous (the Deadly Six), I wouldn't doubt he could work his magic with Chris and Elise if they did so.

• Thumbs Up 5