Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't know anything about IDW. If that did happen and Sega thought continuing the legacy of the Archiverse was worth it (which, it had fuckin better), what would change? How does IDW handle things?

Well right off the bat, I suspect we probably wouldn't see the SATam/AOSTH/etc. characters and stuff, unless the IDW people really fought for it. But aside from that, IDW generally handles things pretty well from what I've read personally. It would be interesting to see who they'd get to write the comic and all that.

I feel like if something did happen with Archie and Sonic--like them giving up the license or whatever--we wouldn't see another comic for a while. How long "a while" would be, who knows, but I can't see SEGA leaping right to another company. It'd probably be for the best to give fans time to be upset, too. But yeah, IDW would be a pretty good candidate if SEGA was interested in still having a Sonic comic.

Of course I really don't think Archie's going to give up the license, but it's fun to speculate about what would happen. :P

Who actually owns the character rights for the DiC cartoon characters though?

To segue with a slightly loaded question, would you read the comic if it didn't have any of the Sega characters? Basically Sally and Pals?

Would it though? What about people from the cartoons? Like Sally and Von Schlemmer?

Archie managed to fight their corner in the reboot because the two branches have a legacy in the Archie series. If IDW (or literally anyone else) started making a comic, they'd make their own from the beginning, and that legacy status would be void. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Who actually owns the character rights for the DiC cartoon characters though?

To segue with a slightly loaded question, would you read the comic if it didn't have any of the Sega characters? Basically Sally and Pals?

assuming that the" satam/adventures of " characters all started from sonic tv series  odds are the idea would have been scrapped or we would have gotten some weird fanfic like story from ken penders that would be forgotten to history for a good chunk of time

to answer what i'm assuming is the question you are asking if the comics were to lose sega game characters now I would likely continue seeing how the story goes until its soon demise though I think the none sega game characters could possibly do well with the right story writers i'm fairly certain without the sega characters around it would drop in sales drastically and archie comics would likely cancel the series and make something else instead

Well I'm lost. New publisher?

And if these delays happened before, I guess I can wait just a little bit longer. At least I'll be on break during that time.

• Thumbs Up 1

assuming that the" satam/adventures of " characters all started from sonic tv series  odds are the idea would have been scrapped or we would have gotten some weird fanfic like story from ken penders that would be forgotten to history for a good chunk of time

to answer what i'm assuming is the question you are asking if the comics were to lose sega game characters now I would likely continue seeing how the story goes until its soon demise though I think the none sega game characters could possibly do well with the right story writers i'm fairly certain without the sega characters around it would drop in sales drastically and archie comics would likely cancel the series and make something else instead

That's not really what I was asking, I should have explained it better. What I was asking as a hypothetical (i.e. remove the whole sales and legal business out of the picture), would you continue reading the comic if there were no SEGASonic characters and it just ran as a children's comic and featured the non-Segasonic characters?

And again I ask who actually owns the rights to all the SatAM/AoStH lot, including the ones not yet seen in the comic like Captain Rescue and Ari, SEGA? Cookie Jar or whoever has DiC now?

The chances of a comic like that (one with the SatAM / Archie characters and no Sega characters) coming into existence are like...zero. I mean, that's the way I see it, anyway. Without the license, why even bother? If they actually wanted to / had to drop the Sonic license for some reason, I just...don't get why they would do that. It's guaranteed to make a lot less money, so at that point they might as well just put the effort towards working on their "truly" in-house projects. I also don't think they'd legally be able to use SatAM characters, regardless of Sega not caring.

But as for whether or not I would be interested...probably not. Even as it is I find myself frequently wishing Sega characters had a bigger role. Even though it's certainly well-written and well-drawn, the Sonicness of it is still a very big factor as to my enjoyment of it.

Ugh...I really, really hope nothing is going wrong with the comic. I doubt Archie Comics would ever drop it if they could help it, since from what I know it's an important money-maker for them.

• Thumbs Up 2

The existence of the series without Sega characters isn't something I can imagine. The series is currently so built around Sonic concepts that taking everything out would leave so much nothing that I don't think you'd have anything to even give an opinion on. It'd feel like a less retarded version of The Lara-su chronicles, I guess. If you meant, say, subtracting Sonic, Tails and Eggman from SatAM and make Naugus or whatever the main villain? Then sure I can see it existing and me probably not caring because I like the way these more subdued characters play off the more exaggerated Sega cast, not just the characters themselves.

That said, as much as I am not a fan of Archie's business practices, seeing the current universe (which I believe Sega owns all of) moved to new writers and artists would freak me the hell out.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only reason the Freedom Fighters survived the reboot was because Kaminski and the creative team fought to keep them in. If Archie loses the license, you can kiss those characters goodbye.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question: where the fuck did this paranoia of Archie losing the liscense in favor of IDW come from?

Like WTF happened? I figured it's just a delay and nothing serious. And what are the chances of that even happening anyway?

• Thumbs Up 4

Question: where the fuck did this paranoia of Archie losing the liscense in favor of IDW come from?

Like WTF happened? I figured it's just a delay and nothing serious. And what are the chances of that even happening anyway?

Yeah, I thought this is something Archie's all too well known for.  Delays have happened plenty of times.  I don't see how this particular delay could spell doom for the comic, one of the publisher's best sellers might I add, when this has already happened without any ill consequence.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I've been hearing that some subscribers actually have SU#82...?

From what I've seen, one person claims they got it from Google Play.

I don't really know.

Yeah, I got it via Google Play and can read it on my Phone and PC right now.

Pics or it didn't happen.

By which I mean, "Please share."

I'm still kinda bothered by the way Adam Bryce Thomas draws eyes. The pupils are too big.

That said, I guess I can't really be too mad, especially with the way James Fry does them

Did Big just kill two Dark Gaia monsters by STRANGLING them?!

"Yay! I like lures!"

This is why I love this cat so much.

• Thumbs Up 5

Haha yeah, I'm loving how they've been handling Big in the last few comics! Is it just me, or does Sonar not seem to care too much about how Big was getting attacked by monsters....

• Thumbs Up 3

Hidden Content

She probably wasn't worried since Big came back completely unharmed and unfazed. And she didn't try to help him because, in her own words, she and Chip were no match for them.

Wait... now that you mention it, she did seem pretty shocked and dumbstrucked about it. Almost like she was expecting... or even wanted Big to perish...

I swear, if they turn out to be similar to the Sand-Blasters...

Also, Big is awesome. So is Silver.

Edited by Arranos

Actually, someone else got it and Sonic #279 early as well, somebody here in fact, rumoured to be panda-shaped. 

The Desert Raiders are baddies? Oh noes.

• Thumbs Up 3