Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Actually, someone else got it and Sonic #279 early as well, somebody here in fact, rumoured to be panda-shaped. 

Hidden Content

More like anti-heroes if you ask me.

Newbie alert. I started reading from #1 a few days ago. I'm on #18 and going strong. These early ones are pretty funny. I know it's going to get SUPER real in the future.

EDIT: LOLOL, it turns out that #18 is EXACTLY where things get real for the first time. I'M SO PUMPED.

EDIT: #20. Seeing Nicole for the first time, knowing that she'll become an important character, is so freaking cool. I'm so glad I finally picked this up.

Edited by JohnTheDreamer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Newbie alert. I started reading from #1 a few days ago. I'm on #18 and going strong. These early ones are pretty funny. I know it's going to get SUPER real in the future.

EDIT: LOLOL, it turns out that #18 is EXACTLY where things get real for the first time. I'M SO PUMPED.

EDIT: #20. Seeing Nicole for the first time, knowing that she'll become an important character, is so freaking cool. I'm so glad I finally picked this up.

Just checking, you DO know the comic's been rebooted since then right? I mean, it's absolutely fine if you want to read the entire series from start to present, but in terms of catching up with the current universe, you only have to go as far back as 2013.

Edited by TheFatPanda

Just checking, you DO know the comic's been rebooted since then right? I mean, it's absolutely fine if you want to read the entire series from start to present, but in terms of catching up with the current universe, you only have to go as far back as 2013.

Yeah, I do know. I want to be completely in the loop with the stories. The old one seemed quite fleshed out.

Yeah, I do know. I want to be completely in the loop with the stories. The old one seemed quite fleshed out.

Word of advice: Stay away from issues 51-159 (And the entire Knuckles book)

I know that's a lot to bypass, but trust me: You're missing virtually nothing of value.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hell, even Ian's early run I'm really dubious on. Especially with the garbage that led all the way up to things like House of Cards or Ian's ruthless character assassination of anyone who threatened the Sonic/Sally relationship...

... I would honestly say that it wasn't until Sally was robotocized and all of Penders's OC's disappeared that the comic really began to take off for me. Then Ian started producing some gold like the original Sonic and Megaman crossover, Waves of Change, and EASILY the best arc in all the history of the comic Champions (good GOD could I gush about how brilliant Champions is).

In short, I would honestly recommend to just sticking to everything after the reboot. The comics have gotten TREMENDOUSLY better in the best 2-3 years. I honestly can't stress that enough. I mean, Ian has made some extreme 180's in how Ian does things. I can't be the only one who remembers how awful characters like Amy and Rouge used to be before the reboot.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think anyone has forgot the botched parts of Ian's moments, but people mostly flock to the parts that he made interesting and likable. No one in particular liked Rouge being unnecessarily ruthless during the TTT arc over the Sol Emerald and Blaze's world, or what Ian did with Sally and Khan and dragging plots a little longer than he should.

And I can't exactly bring myself to care for Scourge, but there was something interesting in it. That said,

Shamar FF's being the new Sand Blasters? If true, then uh oh...

Though it would be interesting to see Spike from that angle (provided he doesn't become another Shadow). I didn't feel he was that interesting compared to the Sonar and Trevor.

If you're going to read through the entire series, follow this. Otherwise, you're going to get confused.

http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1780

Going 1 and on isn't the best way to catch the entire story. You'll hit moments where it goes off into a miniseries and be like, "Wait, when did this happen? I don't remember this. Or this. Or this. Who are these guys?"

Sure, the comics often give quick details to try to have other readers "catch up" but I never felt that was a sufficient way to do so.

Edited by WittyUsername®
  • Thumbs Up 2

If you're going to read through the entire series, follow this. Otherwise, you're going to get confused.

http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1780

Going 1 and on isn't the best way to catch the entire story. You'll hit moments where it goes off into a miniseries and be like, "Wait, when did this happen? I don't remember this. Or this. Or this. Who are these guys?"

Sure, the comics often give quick details to try to have other readers "catch up" but I never felt that was a sufficient way to do so.

Many thanks, but holy testicles that's a lot. Perhaps I won't binge read as quickly as I thought. 

I thought it was cool how, when spinoff characters appeared/events were mentioned, the editors gave us boxes alluding to the respective spinoff comic. Excellent marketing techniques.

I looked ahead again. I have to stop doing that. Every time I do, I throw up because of how awesome it is.

Then just skip to that point. I skipped everything after issue 125 except for Return to Angel Island before hitting 160 and I have no regrets with making that choice

I wouldn't tell him avoid everything between 51-159. There are things post #160 and in the Knuckles side comic that, quality aside, would easily confuse new readers are over who the other characters like Lien-Da, Enerjak, Mammoth Mogul, the Iron Queen, and others if he doesn't have the full story - plus, Ian built upon and refined these elements and characters when he took over. And considering he's in the wacky, slap-stick parts of the comic's early run, he'll be in for a bigger shock jumping into where things are less comedic and more action heavy and intense.

If you don't want to bother with how inconsistent and confusing the comic gets as you progress, you could follow everyone's advice and skip up to #160. If you want my advice, I suggest you either start at #252 and skip everything else due to the reboot, or read everything.  The latter so that you're aware of the good and bad parts of the comic so that everything pre-252 isn't too confusing (which may not be saying much) and join everyone else who continue talking about the old setting (that is, you end up missing it like everyone else who at least enjoys this new setting and somewhat moved on) the former so that you have a more consistent setting and you don't have to bother with the mess the old setting can be. But really, reading all the issues isn't so bad, as you can learn from their problems.

Wouldn't mind having someone who misses the old continuity, inconsistent as fuck as it was before (and sometimes during) Ian's lead tho.

• Thumbs Up 5

And we thought there'd be all new heroes that don't have an ulterior motive and genuinely want to help.

DANG NABBIT!!!

Anyway, I came into the series near the end of the original universe: Endangered Species. That's when I started looking up info about characters and stories.

I've looked through some of the old issues, but not all of them.

the comic that was my introduction point was sonic x issue #40 namely because of (whats in the spoilers)

I saw this in a video tab and I just had to see what it was all about

2015-12-10_00-43-29.thumb.jpg.63c81860cd

lol poor shadow

but the first main comic series I saw was issue #224

I knew pretty much nothing of what was going on but by the time I saw the last few panels of issue #224 

13 year old me was hyped for more stories of this video game series/comic book series I at the time I still knew very little of

So where is this idea that the Shamar FFs are traitors or speaking coming from? I'm pretty sure Sonar was just being awkward around Big because things were awkward.

Edited by Shaddy Joestar Dreemurr

So where is this idea that the Shamar FFs are traitors or speaking coming from? I'm pretty sure Sonar was just being awkward around Big because things were awkward.

Because the comic reveals that the Desert Raiders are in league with Nephthys.

That said, it also turns out that the situation is more complex than that for both parties.

Hidden Content

oh. Well shit.

*prays for Spike to become the next Scourge*
Edited by Shaddy Joestar Dreemurr

Just a heads up that on Wednesday we'll potentially be finding out what next years Free Comic Book Day issue will be. If any.

Edited by TheFatPanda

All this stuff makes me more interested to know why people join Eggman.

For Axel, it's fear; for Thunderbolt, it's admiration and loyalty; for Cassia and Clove if was for benefits they couldn't get anywhere else, and to keep their people safe; and for Tundra, it was because of his "might makes right" belief that is ironically hypocritical. But that makes me curious for Nephthy's motivation in joining Eggman.

I like how it isn't all because Eggman forced them to - now that makes me wonder the range of their loyalty over which is genuine, fearful, disgust, or indifferent. I suppose the next Universe arc will bring that to light.

Anyways, how active is Nephthy's as a character? From the previews, she doesn't look like she just going to stand around.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 5

The irony is that that's part of her motive. Like the Desert Raiders, she just wants peace maintained in the area, so she joined Eggman in order to enable that to happen instead of being conquered and made to suffer (she thinks the alternative is to have died opposing him). She deliberately does only what she needs to and doesn't spread Eggman's hold on the area, The Desert Raiders are her friends, and act as the FF group to keep hope to the people and to quash any actually resistance that pops up that could disrupt the balance and have Eggman force Nephthys to start going full out on elimination.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hidden Content

I probably shouldn't have read that spoiler, but then again I'm a "see it in action" kind of person since a picture says more than a description.

Speaking  of which, how long until #279 comes out? The end of this month like SU#82? I haven't been keeping track of the delay.

I probably shouldn't have read that spoiler, but then again I'm a "see it in action" kind of person since a picture says more than a description.

Speaking  of which, how long until #279 comes out? The end of this month like SU#82? I haven't been keeping track of the delay.

Last I heard it was the same as #82, the 30th.