Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I had no idea Jamie Hyneman was a character in these comics! Who's this Tundra guy you're all tallying about?

I had no idea Jamie Hyneman was a character in these comics! Who's this Tundra guy you're all tallying about?

Uhh, he's an Egg Boss, and a Walrus as shown in that sketch and also

Rotors Dad

Jamie Hyneman?

Adam Bryce Thomas has posted some more sketches.

sketches_by_adambrycethomas-d9jkrkq.jpg

Have to say, Squidgirl, Akhlut and Tundra look a lot more threatening here (Mordred, just...stop). 

Hm, not gonna lie: seeing Lord Mordred Hood there really makes me wish that Lyric had a design more like his. Ah well, at least Akhlut and Tundra are looking mighty badass here--I can't wait to see the former in action soon.

I find it funny that people mention Jellyfish Girl more than Yellow Helmet Guy, who I still think is some type of rodent. If he is Tralius' Egg Boss and Tralius is based off Australia, what animal would he be?

Bandicoot? Possum? Numbat? Quoll? Sugar Glider? Bilby? Flying Fox? Kowari? Lemur? Phascogale? Quokka? A new version of Tazmanian Devil? Wombat? Dingo?

Maybe a...Thylacine? Even if it's extinct, we have dragons, who don't exist in real life.

Uhh, he's an Egg Boss, and a Walrus as shown in that sketch and also

Hidden Content

Jamie Hyneman?

You didn't get the joooooooooke

Watch mythbusters

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been saying thylacine. The markings and ear proportions align pretty well to that. 

I have accepted it as a possibility. That's why I mentioned it.

Okay. After 150 issues, I finally understand everyone's love-hate relationship with the pre-Flynn era. Some issues are INCREDIBLY deep and well-thought out, and others try to regain the frivolous, slap-stick quality of the first 20 issues. No consistency at all, even in the art. GOD, some of them are good, though.

Just read STH279 and SU 82.

STH279:

• Nephthys does care!
  • So do Spike, Sonar, and Trevor!
  • It was said that Nephthys is similar to Clove, but more serious.
  • Poor Cassia!
  • Big is still awesome.

SU82:

• Battle of the Large Beings.
  • Cliffhanger as shown before.
  • Hinting towards more Silver stories.

Overall, good stories. Now to move on to SU83 and STH 280.

AND WHERE IS RAZOR'S ORIGIN STORY? WHEN IS IT COMING OUT?

Oh man, the ending to hidden costs was sad as fuck in a way I did not expect at all.

Also I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that this

spoiler.thumb.png.a504f08d1ed619af9073ae

Is talking about Sonic and Dark Gaia

Edited by Shaddy Joestar Dreemurr

I love what Ian is doing here by the way, he's leaving all these potential plot lines open to further exploration as we're going along, so we can further explore it in future arcs. That's brilliant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cassia and Clove really are two of the most sympathetic characters in the comic aren’t they? I felt so bad for Clove during the conversation she had with Eggman and when she went to visit Cassia.

You just get the impression from #279 that they love each other dearly and are two people who have been driven to the point of desperation, having to resort to Eggman’s help in return for their servitude.

Eggman….lying to two sisters desperate for medical aid just makes him all the more horrible, despicable. Fuck him. I hope Sonic and the FF’s manage to score a major victory over him given his utter awfulness.

I do wonder what exactly is wrong with Cassia though? The implications so far are that her illness is severe and crippling, affecting her eyes and ears. I'm guessing it might even be terminal without cyberization.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm also loving how he's leaving a lot of places open to more stories. The Egg Bosses and their struggles are very interesting to read, like it makes you really care about this new world. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Eggman arc and hope we can delve more into these new characters.

I keep looking at the old and new universe comics and there's still something that bothers me about the art in the new comics, so I'm gonna take two great looking pages, one from each continuity and analyze them here because why not

07.jpg03.jpg

Now I should note that it's definitely not the penciller themselves that gets me about these. Ben Bates drew the left page and Yardley did the right. Every other person who worked on the art is the same between both, so...why is there so much dissonance?

The page on the left looks a lot friggin' better for some reason. I think it's something between the inking, and the colors. On the page on the left, the colors have a lot more gradual shading to them and are also a lot less vibrant. The same goes for the entirety of the Pre-SGW continuity when the art didn't totally suck balls, including World's Collide. But the moment the universe is reset, it feels like Herms put a little less into his colorwork. Everything is a bit more like actual Sonic art, I'll admit, but it doesn't flow like a gradient (better than that) like the older issues did. It's more clear-cut and I'm not as big a fan of it.

The other point is the inking. What the hell is going on here? Now, the plantlife in the right image has a lot more detail in it and I appreciate how good it looks compared to the trees on the left, but why is it so sketchy? Isn't that kind of progressing backwards? This is one more thing that changes the moment the world resets. The characters in the Pre-SGW issues have very thick outlines, while everything looks almost like the raw pencils in the newniverse.

I'd say this is a stylistic change in both respects to represent the change in reality, they did blow up the universe after all, but this is dashed away by Sonic Universe which, while the inking difference may only be a voluntary change Austin made and not to Amash, doesn't retain this. I know it's a comic book, but I feel things look so sketchy it almost breaks the immersion (which, I can have, these comic are the consistent best part of the series right now). I'd be a lot happier if they just went back to making things have whatever color and shape they needed to, fitting to the situation rather than just sketchy and saturated all the time.

Heck, even little things exist that change. The motion blur on the Titan Metal and the speed lines that accompany it give me much more of a sense of speed than Sonic grinding on that vine.

TL;DR take Gabriel Cassata off the fucking colors, and Terry Austin get your shit together

• Thumbs Up 4

K, so issue 279 felt a bit rushed like their Arctika issue (277?), but it was a good look into things. But it had some missed opportunities: when Nephthys kept calling Sonic foolish for opposing Eggman, I felt Ian missed a golden opportunity for her to fire back at Sonic with "and then what" and point out that stopping Eggman might lead to something just as bad or worse to take his place, like a power vacuum between the Egg Bosses fighting over the Eggman Empire remains or other world powers trying to control the world that others might not be keen on. Kinda like his work in the old continuity where that was precisely what happened.

I say this because Ian had something going with his more sympathetic, well-intentioned (yet variably ruthless) anti-villians like Nephthys, and this would have strengthened the grey morality he was going for here. Like Nephthys isn't truly evil, but she had already established that she was intending to kill Sonic for the sake of keeping things balanced, that shows that she'll do what she has to, even if she doesn't like it. It makes both parties have a point without skewing things to the point of making one seem unreasonable - Sonic is right that they need to stop Eggman's conquests, but Sonic being right would only reinforce Nephthys point even more, if you get my drift.

And It'll help make the conflict more pronounced and indefinite.

As for Cassia and Clove? Damn Eggman, you evil. Not that I don't enjoy it when you are, but man this is definitely gonna shoot you in the foot somewhere down the line.

And that last one makes me wonder something...

What would you guys think if Eggman was still this mean bastard, but had his Egg Bosses and Army serve him out of genuine loyalty without characters like Cassia and Clove losing their sympathetic characterizations (although Thunderbolt would still be an evil bitch)?

This amount of grey morality makes me desire a more 3-dimensional Eggman who creates an empire due to Knight Templar and Utopia Justifies the Means tendencies than just for the evulz he general shows here. He'd keep the nastiness that requires him to be stopped, while ironically having a point in his goals of world conquest.

Main reason I say this is because I kinda don't want his underlings to potentially betray him and break free to join the heroes (we have so many that I want the villian to have a devoted support base). His underlings are much more amazing as villains with varying levels of sympathy, so imagine if Eggman attracted them with more admiration and common goals while maintaining what we like them for?

I'm rambling, but just a thought I wanted to play with you guys over.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I'd much rather they not be his underlings at all- I enjoy the idea of Eggman the arms-dealer more than Eggman the Fuhrer :V but your idea sounds like a preferable 2nd choice, then.

There's concept art of Nepethys and the Second Devourer (Though the Second Devourer is in pieces tho)

latest?cb=20151212211142

Dat expressive mask XD

latest?cb=20151212205321

latest?cb=20151212205348

latest?cb=20151212205410

Look closely at 7 1/2. 

Evan likes Ghost Mystery Skulls!

And about Cassia's new feature stuff....

Not sure if anyone knows, but Cassia was actually going to have a backstory explaining her roboticization... but it's not canon  (Ian Flynn's decision?). According to Evan, Cassia was supposedly having a hypersensitivity disorder which gave her allergies. her roboticization would help her get super vision and smell and immunity to toxic gases.

Bonus point was that her tonfas (Those hammer things she has) would have a spray feature (mostly cinnamon extract in aerosol form) to spray her opponents. IMO, that would be really cool feature. 

Basically this concept art of Cassia.

latest?cb=20140809102208

• Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Content

I'm rambling, but just a thought I wanted to play with you guys over.

I honestly think it would be awesome! Heck, that's what I'm doing with Eggman in this thing I'm working on: he's definitely 'evil' but he doesn't view himself as such and he gains genuine support via legit kindness, namely saving their lives (though he does some underhanded tactics to a few of them ensure their loyalty, but he would never leave someone with a fatal illness and lie about it).

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I’ll be, I have not expected that much twists in 279. Well I can’t really say that Nephthys is a huge favorite of mine but damn, I really couldn’t believe that Spike and the gang were the bad guys. They all looked so cute and stuff, stop pulling my heartstrings Ian ;(. But yeah, a really nice move on that and also really cool to see Chip actually help out a bit during the attack and Big being Big and is awesome at being Big, this guy is just adorably awesome! And that fucking Tails Doll man, bad times will be made in the near future!

But as for Hidden Costs, holy shit! That was a really dark ending, it actually reminds me of the pre-reboot times where Eggman was a cold-hearted bastard along with being a goofy character. He really is the Joker and god, is he amazing because of that! After this, Clove and her sister will be my top favorite Egg Bosses yet. It’s just so heart-wrenching to see Clove get duped by Eggman, having to lie to her sister that she’ll never be fully recovered and they’ll forever be stuck with the Egg Army, makes me all the more determined for Sonic to save the day or atleast those 2 plz. Pretty sure that Hidden Costs is definitely up there with my top favorites stories in this universe.

But to end it off, the Silver Age has finally come to an end! I feel that I should post my thoughts on the stories in Universe as a whole instead of issue-by-issue with the main comic, just feels right you know? Anyway, I really liked it and really gotta give Stanley some credit, she did a mighty fine job writing this story and it was pretty cool to see it all! Its stories like this that I really do feel that Silver is a great character, then again the current Archie incarnations are the best portrayals of the SEGA cast, but I really do like Silver a lot in this. He wants to do something but he just lacks the experience and actual practice of doing so but once he knows, he’s gonna give his damn best to try and save the world! Von Schleemer is pretty adorable though a bit of a scatter brain but like Silver, he wants to do the right thing! The Bits are just adorable and Gold is also another fine addition to the Archie cast, she’s sweet, a bit reserved but she also wants to do the right thing (I sense a pattern here?), hopefully we get to see more of her and the others next year! Though I feel like the last part was kind of rushed a bit but hey, it was still a nice moment for a giant sized Silver to dunk on the Second Devourer (totally not a Time Eater ripoff at all lol!). So yeah, really liked it! And can’t wait to see more Eggy Mobagey in Eggman’s Dozen!

And about Cassia's new feature stuff....

Hidden Content

That's pretty cool actually.  #279 made me sympathetic for Cassia and Clove, as well as the other characters roped into this whole crisis.  Honestly, a lot of these characters I wouldn't mind as reoccurring.  Cassia could be a good rival for Bunnie.

I keep looking at the old and new universe comics and there's still something that bothers me about the art in the new comics, so I'm gonna take two great looking pages, one from each continuity and analyze them here because why not

07.jpg03.jpg

Now I should note that it's definitely not the penciller themselves that gets me about these. Ben Bates drew the left page and Yardley did the right. Every other person who worked on the art is the same between both, so...why is there so much dissonance?

The page on the left looks a lot friggin' better for some reason. I think it's something between the inking, and the colors. On the page on the left, the colors have a lot more gradual shading to them and are also a lot less vibrant. The same goes for the entirety of the Pre-SGW continuity when the art didn't totally suck balls, including World's Collide. But the moment the universe is reset, it feels like Herms put a little less into his colorwork. Everything is a bit more like actual Sonic art, I'll admit, but it doesn't flow like a gradient (better than that) like the older issues did. It's more clear-cut and I'm not as big a fan of it.

The other point is the inking. What the hell is going on here? Now, the plantlife in the right image has a lot more detail in it and I appreciate how good it looks compared to the trees on the left, but why is it so sketchy? Isn't that kind of progressing backwards? This is one more thing that changes the moment the world resets. The characters in the Pre-SGW issues have very thick outlines, while everything looks almost like the raw pencils in the newniverse.

I'd say this is a stylistic change in both respects to represent the change in reality, they did blow up the universe after all, but this is dashed away by Sonic Universe which, while the inking difference may only be a voluntary change Austin made and not to Amash, doesn't retain this. I know it's a comic book, but I feel things look so sketchy it almost breaks the immersion (which, I can have, these comic are the consistent best part of the series right now). I'd be a lot happier if they just went back to making things have whatever color and shape they needed to, fitting to the situation rather than just sketchy and saturated all the time.

Heck, even little things exist that change. The motion blur on the Titan Metal and the speed lines that accompany it give me much more of a sense of speed than Sonic grinding on that vine.

TL;DR take Gabriel Cassata off the fucking colors, and Terry Austin get your shit together

Thank you for pointing this out. I always knew there was something about the main book's art post-SGW that was bugging me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

I honestly forgot just how good Austin's inks were pre-SGW. The lines were bold and smooth and actually gave depth to the pencils. But now, like you said, they seem so scratchy, sketchy, and incomplete and I'm not sure why. Even if they were trying to more closely emulate official Sonic art, there's nothing in said art that would call for that type of line quality (except for those Sonic Channel sketch illustrations, I guess). The coloring change I could understand a little more, but I still prefer the more "full" gradients of the previous style.

I do hope something changes in the main book in the way of inks and colors at some point, because I feel the current style isn't really doing the work of awesome pencillers like Hesse and Skelly justice. As it stands, I've been favoring the visual style of Universe over that of the main book and I feel like that shouldn't be the case.