Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I wouldn't say it's Snively as the 12th Egg Boss; they showed he was still evil in the Dark Arms on Angel Island arc, and his Origins showed that while still secretly evil, he doesn't have any current relationship with Eggman at the moment.

The fact that it's a "reveal" in the final issue of the arc implies that it'd be someone that we wouldn't expect, or has enough power or clout that it'd be shocking to find out who they were.

The only ones who'd be shocking enough that I can think of off the top of my head are all improbable to the point of being impossible: Fiona Fox, Eggman Nega, Chris Thorndyke, or Tiara. The former being stuck in a legal limbo that I don't know who owns her character, the latter three having one hang-up or another due to SEGA mandates.

Eggman Nega is a weird case right now; he was off-limits last time it was checked, but it hadn't been checked in a good while. 

Even then, Nega is so improbable given things being more game-centric. I could see all sorts of headaches that would come with making him an Egg Boss if they were given the green light for that idea, so I highly doubt that's even a possibility.

I'll be getting killed for this, but I'm kind of hoping it could be Hope Kintobor but given her legal status and the legal mess around the old cast that is less likely then me winning the euro jackpot.

I'm going out on a limb here, but it could be a character we haven't seen before or in a very long time. I'm kind of wondering if it could be one of the Shadow Androids from heroes or Shadow's game to be honest.

Given how the comic uses far more characters from the other cartoon shows these days it could even be Couchnik.

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Coachnik_(character)

Okay, dude... No one's gonna rip you a new one everytime you express an opinion. You've certainly had some... divisive ones, but something like that isn't going to cause any drama.

But yeah, Hope ain't coming back at all. First because she's a Karl Bollers character and Archie pretty much dumped previous pre-Flynn OC's even if they weren't made by Penders. Second, her character would already have to be severely altered to fit that (there aren't Kintobor's anymore just Robotniks, she'd have to be made evil, and she'd probably be related to Snively but certainly not Eggman due to mandates).

But you did get me thinking with the AoStH thing. With Schlemmer and Breezie, it actually wouldn't be much of a stretch for it to be someone like Warpnik, or even Caninestein (though he was a good guy on the show, so he'd make a heel turn if this was the case...)

That certainly would be a surprise to me, especially in an arc with Wendy 'Witchcart' Naugus and her three Witchcarters as baddies.

Oh, wow, was not aware Schlemmer made it in. That's.... interesting

I'm starting to think there are so many scientist types running around that it hurts Caninestein and Warpnik's chances.

Tiara doesn't sound any more impossible them Honey the Cat... until you consider that we probably got Honey by virtue of Fighters getting digitally re-released (with her amazingly in intact).

Aren't Battle Cuscus still MIA since the reboot?

Edited by Cuz
Terrible Pun

Okay, dude... No one's gonna rip you a new one everytime you express an opinion. You've certainly had some... divisive ones, but something like that isn't going to cause any drama.

You know what, you're right, I whine to much of getting hurt for what I say. 

I wonder, if Archie can use the characters of AOSTH, can they use the ones from Sonic Underground too? That show did have some unique and some not so unique villains in its line of characters like, Sleet and Dingo, Agent N plus reluctant villians like Stripes and Mr. LaTour.     

Oh, wow, was not aware Schlemmer made it in. That's.... interesting

I'm starting to think there are so many scientist types running around that it hurts Caninestein and Warpnik's chances.

How? Do you know how many scientists we've had in the old continuity? Or how many speed, strength, and flying types we still have now. The only thing that will hurt their chances is if Ian can't find a place to put them into a story, not because we have more than a few scientists.

You know what, you're right, I whine to much of getting hurt for what I say. 

I wonder, if Archie can use the characters of AOSTH, can they use the ones from Sonic Underground too? That show did have some unique and some not so unique villains in its line of characters like, Sleet and Dingo, Agent N plus reluctant villians like Stripes and Mr. LaTour.     

Nope.

Underground is off-limits because Sega feels it's no longer relevant to the franchise, hence why the epilogue was scrapped.

I thought Underground was off-limits due to copyright issues, or something? Or maybe anything that references the idea of Sonic having recolor siblings shouldn't be allowed? Or maybe anything that references awful, awful cartoons shouldn't be? Please?

No, Sega completely owns the rights to Underground. Same with AoStH and SatAM. But they've chosen to bury Underground. (No pun intended)

SatAM is allowed because Sega knows it makes up a good chunk of the comic's identity. (For better or worse) And AoStH is pretty faithful to the games compared to the other two. (Various Sonic 1 & 2 Zones appearing, classic Badniks, etc.) Plus, those two shows got pretty good reception. Underground? Not so much. Plus, there's the reaffirmed points of being too far out there in terms of Sonic adaptations and Sega not allowing their characters to have non-game relatives.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the new Egg Boss is Thrash?

Maybe a newer version of Scourge or an evil Shard?

Could Phage finally appear physically?

Or someone we don't know? Someone we forgot?

Thrash is unlikely due to Ian having hesitations about him following Endangered Species (and with Trevor having such a similar design), Scourge and/or Evil Shard are impossible because they cut for copyright reasons, Phage is mentioned in the solicit to an issue after plus Ian's said they're not an Egg Boss, so the bottom option has to be it basically. 

How? Do you know how many scientists we've had in the old continuity? Or how many speed, strength, and flying types we still have now. The only thing that will hurt their chances is if Ian can't find a place to put them into a story, not because we have more than a few scientists.

That's the root of the issue. Just looking at the current roster Egg Boss doesn't sound like a role that would fit one of these guys. It's also a matter of pacing for me. Introducing a large cast in rapid succession doesn't feel was satisfying though I understand it's a necessary evil when rebooting the book. I had hoped it would of slowed down a little by the next milestone though. I like when the book can settle into a status quo for a time to give the characters a chance to react and develop.

As for the old continuity they did some micro managing here and there. Rotor and Chuck had been sidelined with political matters around the time just before the reboot. Going, possibly irrelevantly, further back at one point they flat out killed off Nate Morgan allegedly because he was redundant as Tails was coming into his own in addition to Rotor, and Chuck.

Edited by Cuz

Scourge and/or Evil Shard are impossible because they cut for copyright reasons

That's not technically true. They just aren't possible with their original backstories. If they had no connection to anything Penders made (which in Scourge's case would basically deconstruct the entire character anyway) they could be allowed, they just haven't been changed or the writers don't think trying to shoehorn them in would be worth it

That's not technically true. They just aren't possible with their original backstories. If they had no connection to anything Penders made (which in Scourge's case would basically deconstruct the entire character anyway) they could be allowed, they just haven't been changed or the writers don't think trying to shoehorn them in would be worth it

Even if they were changed enough to be considered fair game, Penders would still harass Archie and force them to waste their time and money fighting over Sonic OCs. That's why Archie pulled the plug on all these characters: so toads like Penders would stop bothering them.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's worth noting that we don't actually know why SatAM and AoSTH are the exception midst the shows. We've seen nothing indicating that it's because AoSTH is close to the games or SatAM to the comic or whatever. All we've been told is that they fought to keep SatAM elements, Underground is a no go, OVA is a no go likely due to rights, X is probably a no go probably due to the usual "we don't want to cross the brands", StC isn't SEGA's to give, I don't think anything's been said about the mangas but the answer's likely no, and about it all Ian just mentions "I wish I could someday explain why's it like this" (paraphrasing).

Personally, I'd argue it was probably a grandfathering plea- "the comic already has AoSTH and SatAM stuff! Please let us have at least these two shows".

On the same note, X-Treme material isn't usable despite being SEGA's.

Edited by The KKM
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's worth noting that we don't actually know why SatAM and AoSTH are the exception midst the shows. We've seen nothing indicating that it's because AoSTH is close to the games or SatAM to the comic or whatever. All we've been told is that they fought to keep SatAM elements, Underground is a no go, OVA is a no go likely due to rights, X is probably a no go probably due to the usual "we don't want to cross the brands", StC isn't SEGA's to give, I don't think anything's been said about the mangas but the answer's likely no, and about it all Ian just mentions "I wish I could someday explain why's it like this" (paraphrasing).

Personally, I'd argue it was probably a grandfathering plea- "the comic already has AoSTH and SatAM stuff! Please let us have at least these two shows".

On the same note, X-Treme material isn't usable despite being SEGA's.

This most likely explains why Nega is a no go since its not only SEGA but also DIMPs who has a finger in his creation, then again, Blaze and Marine should fall under the same duel creator thing... this is confusing as heck.

This most likely explains why Nega is a no go since its not only SEGA but also DIMPs who has a finger in his creation, then again, Blaze and Marine should fall under the same duel creator thing... this is confusing as heck.

Eggman Nega, Blaze, and Marine are all created by Yuji Uekawa. Sonic Team does allow for co creations outside AM2 designed characters Bark, Bean Ray, Mighty and Honey most who are just based off characters from other AM2 games. Sonic Team, usually Uekawa, does all the designing for the series, main developer or not.

Edited by RappedinBlacX

Sonic team themselves don't even know what the blazes to do with Nega, they messed up with placing him in both the Rush and Rivals games without any explanation, in addition to the Blaze and Silver confusion and Sonic 06's messed up story. While they did finally resolve the issue with Blaze and Silver's origins, Nega is still in purgatory, well, for some reason he still appears in one of the Olympic games.

I swear, the amount incoherence of Sonic Team's writing is bonkers to think of.

• Thumbs Up 7