Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Aww, so we won't see Sara, Old Man Owl and Dark Robotnik, ah oh well.

I don't really care for Sonic X and Underground so much, but if they can't be used, then they can't be used.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 03/01/2016 at 9:47 PM, goku262002 said:

Yeah archiving is gonna be a bitch, can't he just make a full backup of the forum and hand it off to somebody to hold onto? must the whole forum with its years of history be wiped out?

I will be up to it once the forum is closed for new posts, so I will be sure of archiving absolutely everything. Then I will upload the archive somewhere and make it browsable.

I already did some backups of the forum, which are on the Death Throes thread. This time the difference is that I will upload it somewhere and make it browsable, instead of you having to manually download it first. I still have to look into how I am going to accomplish this, though.

Anyways, I guess I am going to talk with Ian first to see what he thinks about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah pick his brain and see what he thinks of a full backup or having the forum run in a closed state on a server, because 6 months won't give us enough time to get everything and it is an important part of Sonic comic history even if he thinks its not.

41 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

even if he thinks its not.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far; you need to take into account the time needed to run a forum, as well as the costs of the hosting.

I'd imagine a lot of people would be quite happy to see a more permanent archive.

30 minutes ago, RaceProUK said:

I wouldn't necessarily go that far; you need to take into account the time needed to run a forum, as well as the costs of the hosting.

I'd imagine a lot of people would be quite happy to see a more permanent archive.

Him closing it without having an option to have it backed up somewhere kind of shows that he doesn't think the forum is important enough to keep around on the net.

And from my research it doesn't cost barely anything to keep the forum running in closed mode on a server, if you are already paying for a server then you're already paying for the cost of keeping it online. but if he doesn't want to keep it on his server I'm sure theirs members of his own forum that run their own servers that will be more then happy to keep an archival forum on their systems.

19 hours ago, Trio CC14 said:

Glad to hear that Universe #82 might be getting to subscribers soon. I actually thought I was alone in not receiving Universe for a while until I researched a bit more. (Even sent an email to Archie's shop before doing so.) REALLY want things to finally get back on track. XD

We all do.  I don't know if it's internal shuffling going around or not but I'd just like timely deliveries.  Especially with certain characters getting much welcomed coverage, I'd hate having to turn to other sources for that. 

Comic book delays.

Graphic novel delays.

Bumbleking forum closing.

Is there something they're not telling us?

10 hours ago, Arranos said:

When was SU82 supposed to release?

What should be released this month?

What hasn't been released?

SU#82 was supposed to be released over a month ago. It's new release is next week, and it's for real this time (Archie posted a snapshot of the physical issue)

StH#279 was also supposed to drop in December, but didn't. It's new release date is not yet known.

Also, the complete Worlds Collide book is finally dropping today.

Just received the Worlds Collide PDF review copy from Archie. All the varient covers included and we get both the lead ins and lead outs of the story. Also a TON of bonus stuff, including commentary from Ian and Spaz, script pages, character concepts, pencils, etc.

Interestingly, the last two pages have the Graphic Novels checklist and Saga and Universe are still listed, and unreleased volumes are still listed. So here's hoping the Saga TPBs are not dead. Saga lists 8&9, Universe lists 9,10,11.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Barry the Nomad said:

Just received the Worlds Collide PDF review copy from Archie. All the varient covers included and we get both the lead ins and lead outs of the story. Also a TON of bonus stuff, including commentary from Ian and Spaz, script pages, character concepts, pencils, etc.

Interestingly, the last two pages have the Graphic Novels checklist and Saga and Universe are still listed, and unreleased volumes are still listed. So here's hoping the Saga TPBs are not dead. Saga lists 8&9, Universe lists 9,10,11.

Does that include 251's NYCC variant (which was forgotten in the individual books)?

And I wouldn't celebrate too fast if I were you: it was only a few weeks ago the Saga listings vanished, and the book may have officially gone to print before that for all we know.

12 minutes ago, TheFatPanda said:

Does that include 251's NYCC variant (which was forgotten in the individual books)?

I just downloaded the WC saga and it does indeed have the NYCC variant.

Worlds Collide was due out ages ago, if people recall, so that might play a part.

Also, my local FP said it's apparently coming in tomorrow for them, so I'm gonna go back to try and pick it up then. 

8 hours ago, Jason the Jackass said:

Comic book delays.

Graphic novel delays.

Bumbleking forum closing.

Is there something they're not telling us?

Oh Doomsaying. Fun.

Why is everything a sign of the end in this fandom?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm curious, how did they handle the Sonic prelude in the volume releases for Worlds Collide?

The complete epic feels like it doesn't cover much on the Sonic end. Mega Man has a 2 page Story So Far, and a 10 page lead in before the fade to white. Sonic has a 2 page story so far, and then Meanwhile in the Death Egg Mk II.... with Metal walking out, some diologue, and then a full page of metal walking away with his mission, then a full page of Eggman asking Albert to open the portal, then a full page of Sonic and Tails reacting on a white background, then Sonic and Mega Man being blinded by white light.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Oh Doomsaying. Fun.

I wonder, why'd people worry after the last 5 or so years of Archie where there's been no signs of cancellations, delays, hiatuses, etc at all? Man o man how I wish everyone'd just stop being drama queens!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, mavrickindigo said:

Has anyone considered asking Ian in his Bumblekast to allow people to backup the forum?

Were seeing if hes open to a full backup or a archival version of the forum on a server.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Oh Doomsaying. Fun.

The last time we had graphic novels delayed this long was the Knuckles and Sonic Legacy series. Wasn't the first volume of Sonic Boom supposed to come out in November 2015? Now it's gonna be May 2016.

Comics getting delayed a month is nothing new for sure and running a forum can be time consuming, but when all three of these events are coming together at once, it makes me a bit concerned. That's all.

4 hours ago, mavrickindigo said:

Has anyone considered asking Ian in his Bumblekast to allow people to backup the forum?

I already did a couple of backups, which are available to download in the Death Throes thread (link to post). The latest one is from April 2015, though. Ian was not only fine with those backups, but also very pleased (he had contacted me in private back then).

But this time I want to do something different: making the backup available in a browsable format, instead of you having to download the entire thing. I am still looking into how I am going to accomplish it. As we speak, I am running an automated program to find and save all the publicly available pages of the forum, and after it is done I will look into ways to make it available on the web. For now, this is only a test run to see if everything works well, I am going to run the program again once the forum is closed in order to get all its content.

I still have not contacted Ian, I should do that by his contact email listed on the main site. I did it last time I backed up the content.

9 hours ago, Barry the Nomad said:

Character Concepts!? May you possibly upload some of them, mainly just all the SEGA character ones if possible.

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Sonic Digest #15 is coming out next week.

That's the one with Razor's origin right? I'm excited! I love the Underwater stuff, hopefully we see him raising a baby Crusher. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Sonic Digest #15 is coming out next week.

Oh thank god. I haven't had a chance to pre-order this at all since November, but glad it's coming out soon enough. This will surely help me wait out until the rest of my pre-ordered issues come into place.