Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It took me this long to catch the news Bumbleking was closing. Dang...

it's a bit of a downer, even if I'm not heartbroken. I joined there back in 2009 and stayed active for a few years, and it was definitely one of my favorite forum experiences at the time (aside from the community drama at times, but I guess those are to be expected). But eventually real life happened, and I couldn't keep up with it anymore... and my several attempts to get back into it didn't work out well. Eventually the community itself just changed too quickly for me, and I stopped visiting altogether.

Personally, I think closing the board is a good idea. I am not sure how active his forum is anymore, but I get the feeling it's not as active as it used to be, and it's been plagued with tons of glitches and other problems for years now. In this case Ian's definitely better off just sticking to social media like twitter and facebook, where most of his forum goers can still keep in touch and interact with him as well.

The forums had a nice run, and I'll have to draw more bad archie sonic fanart again sometime too. Making those were some of my favorite memories on that board, haha. And I am always glad to see some former Bumble pals join this forum, too. Hope to see more as time goes on.

I always tried to get onto Bumbleking forums, but I never got the confirmation file. o_o But its cool, this forum is cool enough for Sonic comics discussion.

The last time I've visited Bumbleking forums was a year and a half ago before having the confirmation key kept failing me up every time it's right with the correct login as well. As much as I want to post more towards my collection, this is a bit much

have the babyloon rouges shown up anywhere post reboot? seeing as the battle bird armarda is showing up makes me think thats when they'll re-appear seeing as there isnt a story with focous on the armada that dosent have the rouges appear at least once.

Nope, they've yet to make any appearance, and I doubt they will during Eggman's Dozen or even the Shattered World Crisis as a whole.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's some interesting tidbits about the characters in the comics in bumbleking- According to Aleah Baker...

• For instance, Cassia's 13, Clove's 19.
  • Clove's favourite ice cream is mint chocolate chip or fruit sherbets. Cassia likes chocolate, marshmellows and sprinkles. (but can she eat now that she's robotisized a bit?)
  • We'll be seeing Ellidy again, depends on the definition 'soon'.
  • There's some long term plans for Breezie and Honey, however, Baker says we'll be seeing Honey sooner than Breezie, again, depending on the meaning of 'soon'.

http://bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8626&start=15&sid=c96c68d4fc08ba07fc8a20791987094e

• Thumbs Up 7

honey will might be involved in an arc after the world is fixed?

also clove is 13? i could tell she was young but not that young

According to some other answers given, only Cassia's eyes are fully roboticised, while her ears are in the inner part. The rest is still flesh, so she can eat.

Also no, Clove is 19. She's the older one. If you're referring to Cassia, That's actually about on target for what I thought, although a prior answer off Ian said they were about 3-4 years apart so Clove's age threw me for a loop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's easy to forget the ages of characters here, since they all stem from a base model that is genderless and ageless and requires a lot of tertiary characteristics to show any signs of that. I'm not saying it's a huge problem for me or that I'm not used to it, but as things go by I keep noticing how many characters have the same height, the same build, even the same manner of speaking beyond a catchphrase or accent, and this probably has to do with me binge watching Steven Universe, which has very defined and unique looking characters you can't mistake for one another (I swear this show is melting my insides, it's like some fucking drug, and it makes me want to completely rewrite the rather bittersweet and even nihilistic ending to my webcomic not-webcomic that probably maybe isn't is definitely happening), but I still think that both the comic and the games need to vary things up a bit when they add new characters.

I do however think Evan Stanley in particular does a remarkable job discerning figure between characters of varying age and sex even if there wasn't one in the base, while keeping it from looking too...for lack of a better term, "furaffinity".

Plus I really like the way she draws their mouths. They look like the mouths in Sonic Boom where they don't have to be painted-on side mouths, but can move around and look good from any angle.

• Thumbs Up 5

Aw yis, its always awesome to hear from the writers!

6 hours ago, Shaddy the guy said:

It's easy to forget the ages of characters here, since they all stem from a base model that is genderless and ageless and requires a lot of tertiary characteristics to show any signs of that. I'm not saying it's a huge problem for me or that I'm not used to it, but as things go by I keep noticing how many characters have the same height, the same build, even the same manner of speaking beyond a catchphrase or accent, and this probably has to do with me binge watching Steven Universe, which has very defined and unique looking characters you can't mistake for one another (I swear this show is melting my insides, it's like some fucking drug, and it makes me want to completely rewrite the rather bittersweet and even nihilistic ending to my webcomic not-webcomic that probably maybe isn't is definitely happening), but I still think that both the comic and the games need to vary things up a bit when they add new characters.

I do however think Evan Stanley in particular does a remarkable job discerning figure between characters of varying age and sex even if there wasn't one in the base, while keeping it from looking too...for lack of a better term, "furaffinity".

Plus I really like the way she draws their mouths. They look like the mouths in Sonic Boom where they don't have to be painted-on side mouths, but can move around and look good from any angle.

I noticed that too. Its not just a mouth pasted on a face (not like that's bad at all), but Evan Stanley draws her characters in a very 3-dimensional looking perspective, with more dynamic angles, if that makes sense.

Cassia is 13 and a high ranking Egg Boss, holy shit that's young for an general officer rank. Heck, same for Clove - she must be hella smarter than we already know to get that kinda rank.

They need to make a new encyclopedia for this rebooted setting.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Cassia is 13 and a high ranking Egg Boss, holy shit that's young for an general officer rank. Heck, same for Clove - she must be hella smarter than we already know to get that kinda rank.

They need to make a new encyclopedia for this rebooted setting.

Cassia basically got the job because she was the sister of an Egg Boss, that's not so far-fetched (especially when Amy can be independent living and fighting when 12). Clove isn't even noteworthy when the franchise has ruling princesses who are 14 years old

In fact, I don't really have an issue remembering anyone's vital statistics, but then I do have a head for figures. 

• Thumbs Up 4

as much as i dont care for steven butler's artstyle, it does make things like age (and espicaily gender) obvious, as teens like sally and bunnie have the same build while amy whos younger dosent.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Cassia basically got the job because she was the sister of an Egg Boss, that's not so far-fetched (especially when Amy can be independent living and fighting when 12). Clove isn't even noteworthy when the franchise has ruling princesses who are 14 years old.

Cassia earning it because of her sister I know, kinda comes with the territory. However, comparing Clove's rank to 14 year old ruling princess is a bit of stretch when the latter has generally been one of differing circumstance as far as we know, while Clove more than likely had to earn it with some serious merit - you can't just join the bad guy's army, knowing how vile this guy is, and get enough of the bad guy's favor to be given and trusted with a four-star rank equivalent as a teenager the same way a ruling princess takes the throne because the king or queen isn't active for whatever reason.

Ruling princesses earn power from the top down, Clove probably got hers from the bottom and worked her way up. So yeah, that's pretty noteworthy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Cassia and Clove, I've always sort of noticed parallels between them and Beauregard Rabbot and Matilda the Armadillo from the old universe, considering that they both also joined Eggman because they had nowhere else to go for help, and one of them is very protective of the other. Plans coming over from the pre-rebooted universe, eh?

35 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Cassia earning it because of her sister I know, kinda comes with the territory. However, comparing Clove's rank to 14 year old ruling princess is a bit of stretch when the latter has generally been one of differing circumstance as far as we know, while Clove more than likely had to earn it with some serious merit - you can't just join the bad guy's army, knowing how vile this guy is, and get enough of the bad guy's favor to be given and trusted with a four-star rank equivalent as a teenager the same way a ruling princess takes the throne because the king or queen isn't active for whatever reason.

Ruling princesses earn power from the top down, Clove probably got hers from the bottom and worked her way up. So yeah, that's pretty noteworthy.

I might bite that more if anyone commented on how young she was to be an active princess whether inherited or not, but they don't because there are other examples which prove she's not an exception. Knuckles is a dedicated guardian who acts like a long established adult at 16, Espio has gone through basically full ninjutsu training by the same age, Rouge is a professional government spy at 18, and no one bats an eye at Silver doing his heroics despite being the same age as Blaze. The Sonic series has long established that the Sonic characters are far more capable at their ages than the real life equivalent would be, to the point where you've basically stopped being a teenager halfway through puberty. If anything, I'm expecting one of the Egg Bosses to be younger than Clove, although that I can ask about. 

• Thumbs Up 5

With all this talk of ages it now really sticks out to me the way Eggman referred to the heroes as just children during the #175 invasion and makes his losing it later a bit more understandable. This really is a brigade of orphans versus an absolute madman.

That's probably because pre-reboot was a different time, where the presentation was more toward Western values than the Japanese base the games go off. They weren't orphans back then, for one thing (well, mostly not).

52 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I might bite that more if anyone commented on how young she was to be an active princess whether inherited or not, but they don't because there are other examples which prove she's not an exception. Knuckles is a dedicated guardian who acts like a long established adult at 16, Espio has gone through basically full ninjutsu training by the same age, Rouge is a professional government spy at 18, and no one bats an eye at Silver doing his heroics despite being the same age as Blaze. The Sonic series has long established that the Sonic characters are far more capable at their ages than the real life equivalent would be, to the point where you've basically stopped being a teenager halfway through puberty. If anything, I'm expecting one of the Egg Bosses to be younger than Clove, although that I can ask about. 

But I never said Clove was an exception to anything at any point, nor did I even imply that characters weren't so capable of such feats at such young ages. So I really don't understand what you're trying to get at here. All I'm saying is that it's impressive someone like her at her age could be trusted by the bad guy to be in charge of all his forces and material by must be some serious merit.

Knuckles is a dedicated guardian because he's the last of his kind, Espio isn't exactly a leader of a group of ninjas, nor is Silver a leader in anything. None of those equate to anything I'm talking about Clove. Rouge is about the only closest example, but we hardly know anything about her circumstances to becoming a government spy and even then she doesn't hold a similar rank to Clove - you're comparing a Captain or Major to a General. If there any other Egg Bosses younger than Clove, that's great and impressive itself.

Really, that's all I was saying.

And I'm saying that's not right because it's not impressive. It's practically expected of them to be able to carry out adult responsibilities like that, if not be adults completely. Like I said, nobody questions their skill and position compared to their youth regardless of circumstances, because it's not something they see as unusual.

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

And I'm saying that's not right because it's not impressive. It's practically expected of them to be able to carry out adult responsibilities like that, if not be adults completely. Like I said, nobody questions their skill and position compared to their youth regardless of circumstances, because it's not something they see as unusual.

And who exactly was questioning anyone's skill and position based on their age here? Who here was saying it was unexpected of them to carry out adult responsibilities? Because it definitely wasn't me - I don't know how you read all of that out of someone saying Clove must be smarter than we know and have earned her rank through some serious merit, and finding that impressive in itself. You're acting like it's not right for me to be impressed by this.