Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

11 minutes ago, Barry the Nomad said:

I think that's what prompted the thought. I'm just getting very frustrated with Archie at the moment. It seems their own problems are affecting Sonic and Mega Man rather than the issue being with the IPs themselves. Sonic and Mega Man deserve better than Archie right now, and that bums me out.

The problem right now is that Archie is more interested in selling its main series rather than liscensed ips like sonic and/or megaman. It sucks but liscenced books are expensive to maintain. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Crossovers with Sonic were never good to begin with, especially if you go to Fanfiction.Net.

You know, unless written very well.

7 minutes ago, Dan-Dude said:

Crossovers with Sonic were never good to begin with, especially if you go to Fanfiction.Net.

You know, unless written very well.

To be frank, just about %99 of what's thrown out on Fanfiction.net isn't good. It's for the %1 that I choose to stick around. That said, I never actually read a good crossover. Good AU's, yes, but good AU's tend to be more about subverting what's already there, instead of mashing two things together and hoping that it works.

• Thumbs Up 3

As much as I detest the frequent delays with Archie, I'd much rather have them as the publisher if it meant the best possible chance the current cast of characters and plots remains intact. 

Edit: Meant as a reply to Barry the Nomad

• Thumbs Up 5

Me: So, Egg Boss #12. How important are they, on a scale from "Oh, them..." to "OMG!!!"?

Ian: Tbey'll definitely being expanding Dr. Eggman's range of expertise.

Source: Twitter.

Textless version of Su 87 cover And the textless version of STH issue 284 Variant cover! (spoilered for size)

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160127173351

^SU 87

latest?cb=20160127174843

^StH issue 284 Variant

I liked this variant better because of the colors and lighting and also, Eggmans grin is so sinister there.

• Thumbs Up 8

33 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

What are they trying to push on us? Oh that's right their freaking main series that's what?!! Now I'm hearing complaints about the book needing to be cancelled because of this. I really hope not but I'm sick and tired of this. 

32 minutes ago, Akessel92 said:

What are they trying to push on us? Oh that's right their freaking main series that's what?!! Now I'm hearing complaints about the book needing to be cancelled because of this. I really hope not but I'm sick and tired of this. 

Best option I can suggest is simple patients, patients that pays off in the end hopefully.  Because, eventually, even Sega's going to be wondering why they're merch hasn't been released in nearly three months.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

>Feb 24th

>March 2nd

Mother of god, these delays have gone too far now. All the good stuff has been pushed back...

Soo, The Silver Age part four and STH issue 278 came this month (January) right?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Barry the Nomad said:

Interestingly, they sent out a survey to readers: http://archiecomics.com/reader-survey/

I made it very clear in mine that I read graphic novels and that I am fed up with all the delays. There is actually even a question about what would get you to stop reading and delays is an option.

I have little doubt that'll be what the majority will be putting down.  The question is, would this survey change anything?  My answer leans towards no (a survey's not going to help Archie's bank balance), but there's always a chance it might work, I guess.

Is this all happening because Archie rebooted their in-house comics, which was apparently kind of expensive? (I mean, they even tried to start a Kickstarter campaign about it, only to shut it down because of backlash.)

I'm a bit surprised that Archie seems to be neglecting Sonic. I've heard more than once that its sales figures are actually much better than those of their in-house properties.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Is this all happening because Archie rebooted their in-house comics, which was apparently kind of expensive? (I mean, they even tried to start a Kickstarter campaign about it, only to shut it down because of backlash.)

I'm a bit surprised that Archie seems to be neglecting Sonic. I've heard more than once that its sales figures are actually much better than those of their in-house properties.

Maybe that or the kickstarter must've been expensive, and after that backlash, it must've affected their finacial thing pretty badly. ..

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Detective Zebra said:

>Feb 24th

>March 2nd

Mother of god, these delays have gone too far now. All the good stuff has been pushed back...

Soo, The Silver Age part four and STH issue 278 came this month (January) right?

Yeah they did technically. Too bad there's gonna be no more issues for another month,,, :P

Though Sonic HQ and the Archie Sonic wiki still say a February release for SU#83, but thats probably because they haven't updated it yet.

21 hours ago, Barry the Nomad said:

I think that's what prompted the thought. I'm just getting very frustrated with Archie at the moment. It seems their own problems are affecting Sonic and Mega Man rather than the issue being with the IPs themselves. Sonic and Mega Man deserve better than Archie right now, and that bums me out.

I'm going to be totally honest I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if Archie the company was completely bought out by IDW in the near future. They're financial issues are making me think that something like this will happen soon. Of course this is just me talking.

16 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm going to be totally honest I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if Archie the company was completely bought out by IDW in the near future. They're financial issues are making me think that something like this will happen soon. Of course this is just me talking.

Now that you brought that up, I'd be bold enough to say that the current canon would remain if a buyout occurred.  IDW could simply make Archie a sort of sub - category that includes the Sonic titles.  I doubt any major shake ups would happen within the editorial, art, or writing teams, so that could be a blessing if it happens.

The survey may not help their funds, but it should at least help them to realise where said funds should be going, right...?

4 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

If it's true that Sonic Boom and Mega Man were cancelled to fund the in-house reboots, there might even be a chance they would resent Sonic's success in relation to their own waning stars - not enough to kill the golden goose, but enough to add delay after delay, effectively cutting several issues of Sonic per year and redirecting those funds into Riverdale town.  Pure speculation, I hasten to add.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, QuantumEdge said:

Now that you brought that up, I'd be bold enough to say that the current canon would remain if a buyout occurred.  IDW could simply make Archie a sort of sub - category that includes the Sonic titles.  I doubt any major shake ups would happen within the editorial, art, or writing teams, so that could be a blessing if it happens.

Even though I think the continuity would be safer with Archie, it might have a chance to survive a buyout simply on its legacy alone.  Sonic the Hedgehog holds the record for the longest running licensed comic book, beating out giants like Conan the Barbarian.  I'd assume that whoever gets the chance to write for the series would want to keep that record going.  Though this entire conversation is speculation and a lot of the time things are unpredictable.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet. Archie is currently doing a massive give away of digital comics on Twitter, and if we all work together, we can all get them. Basically, they put out a tweet talking about 10 free comics (The current Level is Level 2 with Archie's Man of R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E arc, and Archie Sonic comics is being given away next. If the tweet gets 100 retweets, they make 10 issues free on their Archie App. 10 full issues are being given away for each level!

• Thumbs Up 1

To clarify, they are giving away 200 free comics. Currently, there's 110 on the Archie App right now (100 comics they're doing as a promotion, and 10 Josie and the Pussycats comics from the first level of the retweet promotion). Going by the icons on their picture on the retweet, there will be 10 tiers, with tier 3 being Archie Sonic, and the final tier being Archie's reboot.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Detective Zebra said:

Maybe that or the kickstarter must've been expensive, and after that backlash, it must've affected their finacial thing pretty badly. ..

The Kickstarter was essentially done to recoup costs because of a deal with retailers like Wal-Mart and Target (I guess it opened up spaces to start selling their books in these places again). On top of that, they wanted to expedite the production of their rebooted Archie line, but since one or two comic retailers threw a tantrum over it, Archie caved in but STILL wanted to expedite the production of these books, so they had to take it out on their imprints, most notably the Action line. I wouldn't be surprised if other imprints like Archie Horror or Dark Circle are being affected as well by all this (but their titles are on such irregular schedules no one would notice), because I only see the Sonic books and the relaunched Archie titles being regularly delivered.

I honestly don't think Sonic is any danger. It does well enough that both of the main titles have been left alone and only shortly delayed due to whatever was going on last month. Boom did well for them from what I remember, but I'm guessing it wasn't a priority so it's moved over to their quarterly digest. Mega Man did OK, not bad enough to kill the license, but it went on hiatus regardless. Optimistic as I am, I'm hoping Archie gets their shit sorted out and make back whatever the poured into their relaunch, because it still sucks they're in the position they're in.