Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I'm guessing if they're reissuing the same solicits, they might be close to fixing their release schedule. Sounds pretty similar to what happened a couple years ago when the book was hit with really bad delays. Only difference is that Archie isn't releasing the digital copies early anymore, at least not on comiXology.

On an unrelated note, 'bout damn time the Horror line released something new. Still not expecting consistent releases, especially not with how Archie's been handling things lately, but it's nice to finally get some new issues of Afterlife and Chilling Adventures again.

9 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Double post; The May solicits are out. It's...uh...they're the same as last month. 

That'll be the echo from the delays hitting us.  At this point, I'm beyond the effort of getting angry, just fed up with no official world on what's actually going on with Archie right now.

Really happy to hear about Gold. I'd totally be fine with it being "behind-the-scenes" canon at the very least, since Sega would probably say no.

• Thumbs Up 2

Alright, let's see if I can word this right...

The fact that Evan is aiming for active inclusion is great.

That doesn't stop me considering Gold my least favourite post-reboot character so far because of how poorly used she was in Silver Age. In fact, there's another piece of trivia in that post that struck me more; 

"She’s a brilliant civic planner and leader"

...Whuh? Where was this even hinted at in that arc? Most of time she seemed very nervous and not showing any sort of leadership. If her leading Silver to her was supposed to show that, that's not endemic to leader characters (most famous example in the Sonic series is Tikal). If it was her suggestion for amplifying the power of the ray gun, offering a suggestion in crisis is not a leader or planner quality. I can do that, and I am in no way fit to lead anyone or plan anything!

And this isn't even related to her backstory which forms most of her for this arc but falls flat, and the fact her dynamic wasn't that strong with other characters. I'm sure she can be built up in time (*rimshot*), but I've haven't had a good first impression from her. 

1 hour ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Alright, let's see if I can word this right...

The fact that Evan is aiming for active inclusion is great.

That doesn't stop me considering Gold my least favourite post-reboot character so far because of how poorly used she was in Silver Age. In fact, there's another piece of trivia in that post that struck me more; 

"She’s a brilliant civic planner and leader"

...Whuh? Where was this even hinted at in that arc? Most of time she seemed very nervous and not showing any sort of leadership. If her leading Silver to her was supposed to show that, that's not endemic to leader characters (most famous example in the Sonic series is Tikal). If it was her suggestion for amplifying the power of the ray gun, offering a suggestion in crisis is not a leader or planner quality. I can do that, and I am in no way fit to lead anyone or plan anything!

And this isn't even related to her backstory which forms most of her for this arc but falls flat, and the fact her dynamic wasn't that strong with other characters. I'm sure she can be built up in time (*rimshot*), but I've haven't had a good first impression from her. 

Now I know Issue 82 isn't officially out, but I've already read it due to digital scans.

Going off of the issue, *spoilers*...

Spoiler

If the ending is any indication, we may get another arc with Silver closing portals while trying to find Gold, Vol Schlemmer, and the Bits.
Maybe he'll find Gold and more info on her will be discovered (everything builds upon one another, just like Ian did with Death Egg II and his plan with the breakdown and rebuilding of the Freedom Fighters).
Hopefully a run-in with the Second Devourer and meeting new characters in the new multiverse can influence more of her personality and she'll grow with that.

Either way, I can't wait to see the minor cast of characters having their own stories. We have yet to see the Babylon Rogues in action yet. Maybe more Gemerl (I know, I've seen the covers). Who else deserves spotlight?

7 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Silver seems the kind to not give a shit because he's too busy trying to save his world. Plus he's known her for...what, a few hours? That's no time for developing romance, regardless of anything else (like mandates, or orientations being incompatible). 

You know I'm not being serious, right?

5 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Double post; The May solicits are out. It's...uh...they're the same as last month. 

A double post about a double post. Meta. XD

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Arranos said:

Either way, I can't wait to see the minor cast of characters having their own stories. We have yet to see the Babylon Rogues in action yet. Maybe more Gemerl (I know, I've seen the covers). Who else deserves spotlight?

Even though I see her as much more of a "main" character than a "minor" one (at least that's how I prefer it), Cream deserves some much needed spotlight. As I've harped on numerous times, she's been in this comic for five years, now becoming six years (coincidentally her canon age), and has done fundamentally nothing of actual value. Even if the solicit for 283 and Ian himself claim that this will change at the climax for "Shattered World Crisis", I still would love to see Cream get more positive spotlight to make up for her piss-poor treatment throughout the majority of SWC (and the rest of the comic as I struggle to see her treatment Pre-Reboot as any better).

Other than Cream, Blaze and/or Marine certainly deserve spotlight as well. As I've noticed, their appearances are the least frequent of all the game characters. Seriously, we don't see Blaze and especially Marine as much as, say, Team Dark, Team Chaotix, or even Silver. And when they do appear, their portrayals are usually less than kind; Marine being flanderized into a true nuisance who causes nothing but trouble (true, she was like that in Rush Adventure but she still did useful stuff in spite of that and she actually promised at the end of that game to mature and improve herself. With that in mind, it's very disappointing how the comics aren't utilizing that promise for character development) and Blaze often getting defeated and/or captured relatively easily despite being one of the more powerful Sonic characters. So yeah, Blaze and Marine are definitely warranted more spotlight and their characters need to be done justice.

19 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Even though I see her as much more of a "main" character than a "minor" one (at least that's how I prefer it), Cream deserves some much needed spotlight. As I've harped on numerous times, she's been in this comic for five years, now becoming six years (coincidentally her canon age), and has done fundamentally nothing of actual value. Even if the solicit for 283 and Ian himself claim that this will change at the climax for "Shattered World Crisis", I still would love to see Cream get more positive spotlight to make up for her piss-poor treatment throughout the majority of SWC (and the rest of the comic as I struggle to see her treatment Pre-Reboot as any better).

Other than Cream, Blaze and/or Marine certainly deserve spotlight as well. As I've noticed, their appearances are the least frequent of all the game characters. Seriously, we don't see Blaze and especially Marine as much as, say, Team Dark, Team Chaotix, or even Silver. And when they do appear, their portrayals are usually less than kind; Marine being flanderized into a true nuisance who causes nothing but trouble (true, she was like that in Rush Adventure but she still did useful stuff in spite of that and she actually promised at the end of that game to mature and improve herself. With that in mind, it's very disappointing how the comics aren't utilizing that promise for character development) and Blaze often getting defeated and/or captured relatively easily despite being one of the more powerful Sonic characters. So yeah, Blaze and Marine are definitely warranted more spotlight and their characters need to be done justice.

To be fair, we know Cream's gonna have a big role in the finale of the Shattered World Crisis, so there's really no need to go on a rant about how under-used she is if we know she's gonna be in the spotlight later, and that you've already wrote about that many times before.

And on the subject of Blaze and Marine being underused, they're from an entirely different dimension. The comics take place in the main universe, and since Blaze isn't from there, of course she's not getting in on the action. The only reason she appeared in most games (though not the Olympic games, I don't think) is because her world was in danger and it was connected to Mobius so Sonic and co can meet her. Also, she had a role in World's Collide and her own arc in Sonic Universe, which is the best I can say from any other characters from other dimensions (Gold I agree was pretty poorly written), so be thankful she got 4 entire issues entirely focused on her being badass in the Sol Dimension. And even if she did get captured for most of the issue, she more than made up for it by becoming freaking Burning Blaze at the end, being like the first character after the Super Genesis Wave to achieve their super state, and melting the villain to death and destroying his fortress. If that's not having spotlight, I don't know what is.

Though if anything for Sonic Universe to focus on, I'd say they should focus on more original comic characters, considering they just expanded their world with awesome Egg Bosses, Freedom Fighters, and even an entire population of underwater people. Give me a Razor and Coral arc, or even a Relic arc anyday!

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

To be fair, we know Cream's gonna have a big role in the finale of the Shattered World Crisis, so there's really no need to go on a rant about how under-used she is if we know she's gonna be in the spotlight later, and that you've already wrote about that many times before.

*Sigh* I know. It's just, for some reason, I cannot let this issue go! No matter what anyone says and even with the spotlight finally coming, I'm still bothered by Cream's treatment in the comics thus far. I guess it's because I feel I haven't said absolutely everything I want to say but I'm still trying to figure out what I want to say and I don't want to say them because I know other people don't care and/or will become annoyed with hearing this from me for the umpteenth time.

19 minutes ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

And on the subject of Blaze and Marine being underused, they're from an entirely different dimension. The comics take place in the main universe, and since Blaze isn't from there, of course she's not getting in on the action. The only reason she appeared in most games (though not the Olympic games, I don't think) is because her world was in danger and it was connected to Mobius so Sonic and co can meet her. Also, she had a role in World's Collide and her own arc in Sonic Universe, which is the best I can say from any other characters from other dimensions (Gold I agree was pretty poorly written), so be thankful she got 4 entire issues entirely focused on her being badass in the Sol Dimension. And even if she did get captured for most of the issue, she more than made up for it by becoming freaking Burning Blaze at the end, being like the first character after the Super Genesis Wave to achieve their super state, and melting the villain to death and destroying his fortress. If that's not having spotlight, I don't know what is.

That is all true. Though, being from a different dimension doesn't change that Blaze gets minimal appearances and it doesn't help that Silver, a character in a similar circumstance albeit time-based, makes plenty more appearances than she does. Blaze did get her own SU Arc but it was shared with a bunch of other characters who, ultimately, didn't have any reason to be there (not that I mind Amy and Cream being in, as I love those two, Bean and Bark not so much). And it still doesn't help that every other game character has had more than one SU Arc focusing on them, sharing much less screen-time with others. Though I honestly, don't really care about Blaze's treatment as I'm completely indifferent to her character. I'm just trying to be fair with her but I'm willing to accept your point.

33 minutes ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

Though if anything for Sonic Universe to focus on, I'd say they should focus on more original comic characters, considering they just expanded their world with awesome Egg Bosses, Freedom Fighters, and even an entire population of underwater people. Give me a Razor and Coral arc, or even a Relic arc anyday!

I can agree there, though I wonder how Razor and Coral can have an SU Arc as I don't see any SEGA characters who can readily join them in an adventure (which is necessary as, otherwise, an SU Arc starring them will not sell. After all, fans read the comics for the SEGA Cast, not the Archie exclusives)

10 hours ago, GOAT said:

Haven't read these comics in a while. How much is the subscription rate these days? Or is there a place online that has the newest issues?

Its more less the same but I'd hold off for a bit due to heavy delays were having atm. read the last 2 pages.

At the absolute maximum, 17. I guess 12 pages is enough to account for ad space, but you might want to knock one off just in case of other content. And even then, you have to account for varying story sizes; Light in the Dark was 15 pages, and if there's an entire four part, 20 page per part arc in there at any point that's about a quarter of the allotted space gone.

Ehhh what the heck. I'll take the plunge I need material and that's at least 16 comics worth. Although chances are I have at least half of that stuff digitally.

I was thinking. Considering the absolute stupidity of the delays at this point, and the fact that we can confirm that the finale arc is delayed, how is this going to affect FCBD 2016 since that was meant to be a lead in story for the arc?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I was thinking. Considering the absolute stupidity of the delays at this point, and the fact that we can confirm that the finale arc is delayed, how is this going to affect FCBD 2016 since that was meant to be a lead in story for the arc?

Probably not at all. Not all subscribers/readers are going to be able to get the Free Comic Book Day issue. I missed last years because I couldn't get to the shop in time, and it's the same for a lot of other readers. Spoiling a select few won't ruin everything.

Just now, therealfalconpawnch77 said:

Probably not at all. Not all subscribers/readers are going to be able to get the Free Comic Book Day issue. I missed last years because I couldn't get to the shop in time, and it's the same for a lot of other readers. Spoiling a select few won't ruin everything.

I meant if the FCBD issue is going to end up cancelled or delayed at this point.

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I meant if the FCBD issue is going to end up cancelled or delayed at this point.

Probably Not. It's a Hook, they probably won't pull it out if there's a chance people will bite.

Well let's see...The comics spectacular so far has some of the recent back comic short stories combined together, just part four of Waves of Change, ALL of Team Treasure Tango (Worth it for that), part two and three of Total Eclipse (Shadow vs. Knuckles), ALL OF CHAMPIONS! (Okay, this was so worth it now. I only have that in regular book form.), Ray of Hope, Silver Age part one (I already have this digitally so I don't want the rest) Cold Hearted,  Back in Business, Babylon Rising part 1 (Which I have in 3 other digital books. XP) and that's everything!

Quick review: First off, if you're gonna buy this book, buy it digitally. The print version is digest size slightly smaller than comic size and uses news print from what I understand. There's some worthless, incomplete story stuff in here, but TTT and Champions (two of my favorite arcs) make it an instant buy! Throw that in along with recent short stories that will get you up to speed of upcoming arcs for new fans make this book a pretty darn good deal.I give it an A

• Thumbs Up 1