Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Wow, talking about surprising, considering how greedy SEGA was in actually allowing Classic in the main series. The most interesting thing is how it uses MEGA DRIVE, rather than Genesis, consider MD is the UK version of the Genesis.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Jason the Jackass said:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-archie-takes-sonic-back-to-16-bit-roots-with-mega-drive

FINALLY! Some good news. I was starting to think the Sonic series was doomed. 

Damn it, I was going to bring the news. XD But this looks interesting! Ian Flynn did say he had a timeline planned out, from the beginnings with Sonic meeting Tails, and them and the Freedom Fighters in the Sonic 2 era or something, so this should be good.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wow, talking about surprising, considering how greedy SEGA was in actually allowing Classic in the main series. The most interesting thing is how it uses MEGA DRIVE, rather than Genesis, consider MD is the UK version of the Genesis.

They already used Genesis. 

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It was also the Japanese version, which I think is what they were aiming for more. 

11 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Great, cool. we needed classic backstory on the new/meshed universe anyways, unless this is gonna be totally separate? (which it shouldn't seeing as we follow the game's storyline now).

It's still quite different from the actual game events, and I think that's a key point here; in the comics, the Freedom Fighters would be about by now, as they banded to do hero stuff in Sonic 2. I'd bet good money on it being totally separate to the Archie Sonic universe. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, it's only going to be a one shot?

Based after Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

And have then going to stop a new Eggman weapon named after the Genesis?

Well, that's slightly disappointing.

23 minutes ago, Jason the Jackass said:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-archie-takes-sonic-back-to-16-bit-roots-with-mega-drive

FINALLY! Some good news. I was starting to think the Sonic series was doomed. 

Well, I guess we can put to bed any worried about cancellation, thank god.  Consider me over the moon at this.  I mean, dear heavens above, Hesse is killing it with the classic art style!  *Bites into fist with eagerness*.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wait, it's only going to be a one shot?

Yep.

Based after Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Pretty much has to be as the Death Egg wasn't destroyed in Sonic 2.

And have then going to stop a new Eggman weapon named after the Genesis?

The Japanese version, at least.

What surprises me is that it's a regular 20-page story. I would have thought this of all times would warrant a 48-pager instead of a 32-pager. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Detective Reptiles said:

Yep.

Pretty much has to be as the Death Egg wasn't destroyed in Sonic 2.

The Japanese version, at least.

What surprises me is that it's a regular 20-page story. I would have thought this of all times would warrant a 48-pager instead of a 32-pager. 

It makes the news a bit disappointing. I was hoping for a Classic themed story in the Archie-Verse, based solely on Sonic and friends. Maybe even showing some origins like Sonic and Tails' meeting, or Sonic's lone wolf tendencies in Sonic 1, and his getting used to having a band of friends. Seems a little disappointing to just have a 32 page story about Eggman unleashing a weapon, and Sonic stopping him.

12 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

It was also the Japanese version, which I think is what they were aiming for more. 

It's still quite different from the actual game events, and I think that's a key point here; in the comics, the Freedom Fighters would be about by now, as they banded to do hero stuff in Sonic 2. I'd bet good money on it being totally separate to the Archie Sonic universe. 

Aww, blows. we really need classic backstory and this would've been an opportune time, but I'm guessing since SEGA is releasing the reigns on Classic era (The mandate being lifted for now) maybe we can get some more flashbacks from the classic era for this year. hopefully Ian takes advantage of this seeing as hes not gonna be able to for another 5 years.

I'm pretty sure this is one of those "Another Time, Another Place" scenarios, since the character designs are pure Classic, whereas the main Archie cast has apparently had colored eyes all their lives.

But I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully this story will be a better spiritual successor than Sonic 4. Makes you wonder if we'll get a "Sonic: Master System" for the 30th anniversary.

See SEGA? This is how you properly handle nostalgia. You take a old idea, and you do something new with it. Why are the comics getting this right, but you aren't?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Again, 20-page story. 32 pages is just how many physical pages there are, not counting adverts. 

Maybe slightly more.

Look at how the Worlds Unite Battle books were done: 21 pages of story in total, plus three recap pages (or two if you consider that the first one was inside the front cover), and no letters/fanart/off-panel/etc. (not counting the adds)

With this book, only one recap would he required, if any (and even then it'd likely be inside the front cover as usual) and there's no reason to include letters pages and the like. So if you take all that into account, the actual story would he more likely to clock in at least...23 pages. It may not be much, but its still more than usual.

A brand new Classic Sonic story for the 25th Anniversary...written by Ian...and illustrated by Tyson Hesse. Excuse me...

*Walks off*

HSBDUHBDJUHBDJHBJHSBAJHBHJJBAJHBSKHBSKHBSKABKHABKHBSKJDBAKHBKHSJBAHSBKHSBWKHNSKJBSA

*Walks back*

THIS IS GOING TO BE AMAZING AND PREEEEEEEEEEEETTY. :D

15 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Aww, blows. we really need classic backstory and this would've been an opportune time, but I'm guessing since SEGA is releasing the reigns on Classic era (The mandate being lifted for now) maybe we can get some more flashbacks from the classic era for this year. hopefully Ian takes advantage of this seeing as hes not gonna be able to for another 5 years.

Don't think it's so much the mandate being lifted, more like this is specifically for the retro branch as opposed to mixing retro and current mainline together. 

• Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

See SEGA? This is how you properly handle nostalgia. You take a old idea, and you do something new with it. Why are the comics getting this right, but you aren't?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what exactly has been shown off that should be considered "new"? Sonic taking out one of Eggman's new weapons isn't exactly a fresh concept for the series.

That being said, I'm liking the CD-esque vibes that cover gives off (more of this please, Sega), and I always enojy Hesse's artwork, so color me excited.

33 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Well, Genesis has already been used in a story so where else ya gonna go?

Just now, Jason the Jackass said:

Well, Genesis has already been used in a story so where else ya gonna go?

Genesis Model 2?

Do you suppose this could be included in a future trade ( not sure why im asking since the trades are coming out at the pace of a frozen snail ), or would a single issue be the only way to get my hands on this?

21 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Don't think it's so much the mandate being lifted, more like this is specifically for the retro branch as opposed to mixing retro and current mainline together. 

But I'm saying since the Retro branch is allowed to be used by Flynn atm for this project, he might as well take total advantage and start filling out some of the main series backstory we can't do normally in the comic because of the mandate restraints.

But the retro branch in as concentrated a state as this isn't part of the main series. In the main series, Ian is basically always sneaking it in. 

2 minutes ago, sonicfoamyfan9805 said:

eggmans greatest failure.

Nah that would be the dreamcast.