Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

The Dreamcast may have bombed, but that was moreso a combination of it being ahead of its time, the PS2 hitting it like a truck and the screw-ups that came before. Nah, the real failed creations would be Neptune (which didn't come out) and Mars. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wow, talking about surprising, considering how greedy SEGA was in actually allowing Classic in the main series. The most interesting thing is how it uses MEGA DRIVE, rather than Genesis, consider MD is the UK version EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD EXCEPT THE US AND KOREA VERSION SO WHY THE FUCK IS WIKIPEDIA'S ARTICLE CALLED "SEGA GENESIS"of the Genesis.

sorry, had to do a quick correction there :V

had a short bout of joy at the news, then saw it was just a one-off, and became sad. still, better than nothing, and the cover looks great and Sonic Jam-y. I hope for once I get to say "now this is a Sonic Comic I really do want!" :V

• Thumbs Up 4

Weird that it's a one-shot, yet it has a giant 1 on it.

Cute that they think they'll release it in July. =P

7 minutes ago, Criminal WittyUsername said:

So, is Eggman threatening the world with Blast Processing?

I'd be surprised if there isn't a Blast Processing joke in it.

Just now, Marcello said:

Cute that they think they'll release it in July. =P

As long as it releases in 2016, it'll be in date. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Let me know when Eggman reveals his Geographic Annihilation Machine Engine and Genocidal Elimination Against Resistance machine.

Hidden Content

It requires six master emeralds to run?

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

See SEGA? This is how you properly handle nostalgia. You take a old idea, and you do something new with it. Why are the comics getting this right, but you aren't?

You're getting a bit over exited, comic didn't even came out and you're already praising it.

Personally I'm glad they doing something (anything to get my Sonic fix), but I'm not really exited. I mean, what are they promising me? More Classic Sonic? How is that different from what I get every month from Archie (not counting designs and lack of FF). And Classic Sonic was good because gameplay was good, not due it's deep story. I would try to be optimistic and say "It will be like Archie Megaman: new deep look at the old product", but this is only one issue, not even double paged. So I expect tons of references to old games and feeding on my nostalgia (Which I don't even have, my first game was Sonic Adventure DX)

I just hope it won't be like Genesis story line. I really didn't like it: 4 issues of just walking around, Freedom Fighters sneaky mission style failing to fit with speedy games style and keeping Sally as Schrodinger cat for 5 months (also, real cheat with saving her).

• Thumbs Up 1

I adore the Classic Sonic aesthetic and everything relating to Classic Sonic in general, so I'm certainly excited for that reason. Also, I personally enjoy the game cast more than the Archie characters, so honestly it's a plus for me that it's just focusing on the classic Sega crew.

MetalSklukBane does have a point in that we don't know whether or not the story will be good - there is a possibility it could wind up too minimalist, or make the same mistake Sega frequently does and focus on copy-pasting surface details as opposed to creating something new based on the same foundations and style. But I think it's hardly far-fetched to hope for better from Flynn, and honestly, I'm predicting I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of the artwork alone. Tyson Hesse is a great artist and he'll be working with a fantastic style! :D

I don't like the fact that the weapon is called the Mega Drive, honestly...maybe they were thinking they needed an in-story justification for the title, but, well, I think they don't :P And it just seems...unnecessarily weird and confusing, I guess.

Now I have confidence we'll get something cool, at least from the comics, for Sonic's 25th <3

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

Comics with 1's on them always sell better. I'm confident that's the only reason they're doing it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think I've ever seen a one-shot that doesn't have a number one on it.

I have to say the news for this came out of nowhere, but I'm pretty interested in seeing what they have planned and if this ties into any of SEGA's anniversary plans at all. I'm a tiny bit disappointed it's not a mini-series or at least a double-sized joint, but I'm sure Flynn will manage with the page space he's allotted anyway. Glad to see Archie's letting the Action imprint do something special, though I imagine it being a one-shot and almost guaranteed to sell well (so fucking buy it!) will do them some good. I'm not a big fan of the classic aesthetic, personally, but it'll be neat seeing an original take on the games universe separate from everything else that isn't some retread of the classic games.

Here's hoping we're getting back on schedule so this hits its intended release.

Marvel and DC do the same thing with one shots, it's...kind of weird. I'm going to concur with MDS and say that yeah, it's probably because #1s sell well. Even then it still doesn't make much sense to me, but that's comics for you. I love 'em, mind you, but the industry does some weird stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know one thing that surprised me about this? One cover! You'd think this sort of thing would be a prime candidate to milk money like that.

Just now, Detective Panda said:

You know one thing that surprised me about this? One cover! You'd think this sort of thing would be a prime candidate to milk money like that.

I'm sure in another month or two we'll be hearing about a few variants. I honestly don't believe Archie is going to pass up any opportunity to get the numbers on this thing up at all.

13 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm sure in another month or two we'll be hearing about a few variants. I honestly don't believe Archie is going to pass up any opportunity to get the numbers on this thing up at all.

The solicit doesn't mention any variants in the credits (it usually has a "coverart by" and then a seperate "variant cover by" credit).

EDIT: actually the issue is being released before San-Diego Comic Con. Maybe there'll he a convention exclusive cover.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Detective Panda said:

The solicit doesn't mention any variants in the credits (it usually has a "coverart by" and then a seperate "variant cover by" credit).

EDIT: actually the issue is being released before San-Diego Comic Con. Maybe there'll he a convention exclusive cover.

True. If there are any variant covers, they may still be pending approval/finalization so they didn't mention them in the solicits? I'm holding out that they'll be revealed at a later date because I don't expect Archie to skimp there. Guess we'll have to see what happens, because I would expect a #1 with a few variant covers would be something Archie would want to have on the shelves.

Sonic Mega Drive is going to be a good issue.

Also, hopefully the issue doesn't get delayed. AGAIN!

Like I said before, I read the comic on a scan site, like I read the rest. But the delay is killing me, like it has for mostly everyone.

I forget: is SU82 out?

2 hours ago, Detective Indigo said:

Some artwork by Tyson Hesse:

CcBpG4sUMAErqSs.jpg

I would expect the comic to look like this.

I'm pumped.

https://twitter.com/boxerhockey/status/702677109890641920/photo/1

Still hard to believe it's the same artist who gave us the Ren and Stimpy-esque "Emmowowwds" Sonic comics back before he became a professional artist on the book. Guy sure has talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

You should've already had SU Issue 82 on January 13, 2016.

Also, here's an unpopular opinion. I don't understand why so may people were disappointed about the "Silver Age" arc. People keep talking about the negatives but NOT the POSITIVES. I honestly thought that arc managed to redeem Silver in the BEST way possible. I'm glad he has friends that aren't villains trying to manipulate him (i.e. Future Mogul and Mephiles) Post-Reboot Silver has proven himself to be more MATURE and COMPETENT(which is similar to his "Sonic Rivals" portrayal, minus the douchey attitude) opposed to his Pre-Reboot counterpart where he continuously made dumb decisions, and I couldn't take him seriously at all (aside from his fight against Enerjak and becoming the leader of the Secret Freedom Fighters). I understand you guys thought that Gold was a little boring, but guess what? She only showed up in 3 issues! It's kind of unfair to judge someone that JUST made an appearance in a new arc, because she wasn't even the main focus of the story. Most people said the same thing about Eclipse during Shadow Fall, but when he got his own Universe arc, people started to appreciate him more. EVERYONE has POTENTIAL to grow as a character, and I believe that Evan Stanley will do an amazing job developing her in future stories. The whole PURPOSE of this arc was introducing the readers to Silver's new future and developing Silver's character (which a lot of people on here don't even mention anything about him at all). However, I could care less about the Onyx City Council because they're even more bland and generic than the Deadly Six. As for the Second Devourer's ORIGINS, I believe that may have something to do with GENESIS NEXUS (the secret dimension Sticks was talking about at the end of Worlds Unite, it's pretty damn logical if you ask me) Professor Von Schlemmer and the Bits were very funny and adorable. Alongside Sonic Universe Issue 75 and the Sonic FCBD 2015, Silver was a total BADASS and is extremely likeable.

One last thing...how come no one ever mentioned Silver's BEST QUOTE?! (This moment right here is a giant middle finger to all the Silver haters and Sonic 06 in general).

silver_meme_humor_by_metroxlr99-d9fpwos.

Seriously, IT'S NO USE trying to deny that this was Silver's most BADASS thing he ever did.

Edited by SilverStarN64
  • Thumbs Up 4