Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 hour ago, TimmiT said:

Posts that are written like the poster is speaking to a company as if they're one person are the most unintentionally hilarious posts. I just imagine someone talking to a picture of a logo.

I get the intention probably wasn't to take a potshot at anyone, but part of me feels like you didn't need to come in here to point this out. If only because I see people writing as if they're addressing a company directly (even I've done it, futile as it is, though I admit I changed up how I write posts like that) everywhere and I don't really see a problem with it...?

1 hour ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

91sn32Q.jpg?fb

Yeeeaaah, image-only posts are considered spam and don't really add much to the discussion, so maybe save it for tumblr or something.

1 hour ago, TimmiT said:

Posts that are written like the poster is speaking to a company as if they're one person are the most unintentionally hilarious posts. I just imagine someone talking to a picture of a logo.

Well, glad I was able to inflate someone's smug sense of self-superiority I guess. If you want to believe I was being entirely serious, then go right ahead.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think what he's trying to say is that the comics are handling nostalgia in a way that is new and fresh. With games and marketing hellbent on cashing in on our collective nostalgia, we get tired of it.... just being there to look at y'know? We don't want remakes, we want something new and the comics are using it in a way that is new and people are looking forward to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right, so I have to admit that I am largely overselling it. It is just a one-shot, and I doubt Ian can really do a hell of a lot within 30 pages in a comic, but nonetheless I expect something that's at least new. The thing is, this isn't really a first-time spiel of taking old things and doing something new with it that the comics are doing. This has been a rather semi-frequent thing that's been going on since the reboot occurred that we're seeing old-stuff being re-used and repurposed.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Too answer your question: mystery without answer isn't very interesting, so I can't call it a positive (yet). Sure there are other part to mystery (like build up), but in this department Silver Age doesn't work me me neither.

There is an answer we just haven't seen it yet.

Doesn't make it less annoying though.

Having an ending be open-ended or a vague "we'll resolve this plot-line soon enough!" doesn't invalidate the criticisms the arc has as a whole.

Plus Sonic's a franchise that isn't a stranger to stories that get no actual conclusion *Looks at SatAM and Chronicles* Not saying that will happen here, but just something to mindful of. This is just me being weary of the ol' "counting your chickens before they hatch" phrase of course. 

6 hours ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

<_< Thanks for the feedback. Didn't mean to offend everyone's beliefs that Archie or Sega won't listen or anything. Jesus

Its just an attempt to get their attention. I wasn't aware it was considered utterly futile

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well I just think it's unnecessary. They want those comics out as much as you do, there is no need to bother them.

But sorry if we were to harsh.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was just joking with you a bit, and should have thrown in a smiley or something. But like MetalSkulkBane said, there's little reason to believe they aren't aware there's a problem, people are unhappy, and that if they could sell it now, they would. It's just throwing money away otherwise.

Oh, and I doubt SEGA has anything real say in it. Not at this point, anyway. If we went a year without any books, they might start saying "wait a minute, we had an agreement here," but now? Probably not so much.

Now, if you want to petition Archie to release the digital versions on-schedule or somehow compensate people who aren't getting their books, those might be more worthwhile movements -- and I mean that sincerely this time.

About my last post, I was referring to when Silver said "I'm getting REALLY sick of people hearing that line." He was literally breaking the fourth wall and Silver himself as well as the audience acknowledges that the "It's No Use" meme was annoying. His facial expression on the last page of Issue 81 shows that he easily became more confident and brave. Also, MetalSkulkBane, right before Silver was going to say "It's No Use" again, he got interrupted by Gold and Von Schlemmer telling him to not give up and that they believed in him. Silver shed a tear and at that point, he was full of determination and easily took down the Second Devourer like a boss. Silver believes in his friends and that's what makes him strong, completely ignoring his douchey attitude in Sonic Rivals. If you seriously like Pre-Reboot Silver more than Post-Reboot Silver, that's fine by me. According to Sonic Universe 75, the Sonic FCBD 2015 issue, and the Silver Age in general, he became more mature and competent, an actual REAL hero. Isn't that what you want to see? If you ask me, his new future is so much better than his old one. Because he had friends he could actually trust (like Von Schlemmer) and not a villain who's pretending to be pure and sympathetic (looking at you Future Mogul). Silver became more intelligent and powerful than ever before (such as when he tricked and taunted Metal Sonic in SU Issue 75, saved Zero and Axl from Vile, and actually helped Sonic instead of trying to kill him and whining about a stupid traitor. Also, how do the rest of you guys feel about Post-Reboot Silver compared to Pre-Reboot Silver?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know what line you were referring to, but my point still stands about it not negating the overuse of the meme before it, nor the use of it after by himself. 

Although on the other point you bring up, Evan's writing of Silver has been better than how he was pre-reboot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, True Detective Soni said:

So for people wondering if the Mega Drive comic retcons 4 in the comics....

How bizarre would it be if Eggman's MegaDrive is what gives Sonic and co. their modern designs? Wouldn't be any more out of place than the pre-reboot world's explanation!

• Thumbs Up 7

Classic SEGA characters only, huh? Kind of sucks that this is just a one-shot issue. I would've liked to see Sonia and Silver teaming up against Eggman Nega (if you know what reference this is, you deserve a cookie). Or even Sonic fighting against the alliance of Wendy Witchcart and the Battle Bird Armada. For the reboot however, Wendy is a Naugus Twin. I would love to see Sonic fight against the Battle Lord XV in "Panic in the Sky" though (if that ever does happen anyway)!

1 hour ago, Detective Panda said:

It's also going to be just the Sega characters, no Freedom Fighters.

More specifically, it's just going to be the characters you see on the front cover. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I been trying my best to keep up with this thread to see if there's any news regarding subscribers not getting issues, but seems like no one has given any sort of answer as to why this is happening. Decided just to ask Archie and they told me it had something to do with a "printing problem." (Could that really be the case since there's copies of Universe #82 up on eBay?)

On the bright side, apparently issues will get back on schedule after March. Sucks that this probably even lasted as long as it has. 
Archie.thumb.png.61baf2caf32e6601ccec7bb

And the cover for Sonic Mega Drive is absolutely amazing. It's always great to see the classic Sonic designs in somewhere in modern days, and the fact that we're getting a one-shot issue that's just pure classic makes me pretty happy. I wouldn't mind if this one-shot turns into its own series of some sorts that focus on younger (?) days/classic design days of the characters and what all random adventures they went on between the time of Sonic 3&K and Sonic 4. Mm... I'm actually a tad bit surprised that this is even going into the New52 timeline. I kinda thought that for a special issue like this, it would be completely separate from the main comics (I guess it doesn't matter since the Freedom Fighters won't appear, so...)

• Thumbs Up 7

6 hours ago, True Detective Soni said:

So for people wondering if the Mega Drive comic retcons 4 in the comics....

Not quite as good as outright saying that Sonic 4 is non-canon, but I'll take it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

I been trying my best to keep up with this thread to see if there's any news regarding subscribers not getting issues, but seems like no one has given any sort of answer as to why this is happening. Decided just to ask Archie and they told me it had something to do with a "printing problem." (Could that really be the case since there's copies of Universe #82 up on eBay?)

On the bright side, apparently issues will get back on schedule after March. Sucks that this probably even lasted as long as it has. 
Archie.thumb.png.61baf2caf32e6601ccec7bb

And the cover for Sonic Mega Drive is absolutely amazing. It's always great to see the classic Sonic designs in somewhere in modern days, and the fact that we're getting a one-shot issue that's just pure classic makes me pretty happy. I wouldn't mind if this one-shot turns into its own series of some sorts that focus on younger (?) days/classic design days of the characters and what all random adventures they went on between the time of Sonic 3&K and Sonic 4. Mm... I'm actually a tad bit surprised that this is even going into the New52 timeline. I kinda thought that for a special issue like this, it would be completely separate from the main comics (I guess it doesn't matter since the Freedom Fighters won't appear, so...)

Good work! Not only have you found out that the comics will be back on track next month, but you found a coupon code that gives 50% off!

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Detective Panda said:

I really wish this would lead to a full comic series at some point.

To me, that'd be an unwise move to say the least. The retro brand, of all Sonic brands, is the one most fixated on its image and how only specific aspects are allowed to be contained within that branch. That would kill the potential for a retro Sonic comic because your cast of characters would be limited to six individuals (Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Dr Eggman and Metal Sonic) as it doesn't even allow the scope to be widened to other characters who also existed in that era and are still in service (you know who I'm talking about), so there's no way they'd allow for an original cast of characters to be introduced alongside that. And you don't want to have such a limited scope for an ongoing series where the characters would basically be stuck in a loop of foiling Eggman's schemes as he makes them.

Note that this is different to Archie making the comics more true to the classics when they were the current product; back then it'd be the equivalent of the post-reboot era because the classic era had more freedom. 

Oh yeah, and that email from Archie is the exact text that my source from a week ago cited when they said they'd been told that SU#82 and StH#279 had been delayed to March. Guess that was completely true then. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, here's something I had thought about. This is probably the closest thing we'll see Ian writing for the games, as it's obviously the first time he's done an entire issue based solidly on the games community. So this is some insight as to what we could expect if Ian actually was able to write for the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a little surprised to learn that subscribers still haven't gotten SU#82; I picked that up at my LCS last month, so I would have guessed it was mailed out around the same time. As long as there's some word that the book is going to be back on track (albeit late), I'm happy.

I do feel like this is more or less what we went through during the early months of 2014, the only difference then is that digital delivered on time. Now, Archie's holding back all releases so they line up. Though I suppose the lack of DRM (which is good!) is the primary/only reason why.

Eh, retro Sonic and current mainline Sonic are two different beasts, so it's not necessarily reflective of how Ian would handle the latter.

• Thumbs Up 1