Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

1 minute ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Eh, retro Sonic and current mainline Sonic are two different beasts, so it's not necessarily reflective of how Ian would handle the latter.

For the most part, yes. But I imagine SEGA's going to have a lot more... Influence with this project, since this is dealing with THEIR timeline.

I have to agree with Detective. In theory more Sonic is always good (especially after losing Boom and Megaman), but ongoing Classic Series would be... risky.

1 There would be huge dangerous of making it nostalgia bath, no new characters, no going forward, just throwing Chemical Plant for 7th time at us.

2 How would Flynn connect it to main book? Every action in a past would have some consequences to the present, but Flynn has to make it accessible for people reading only one book.

3 Sonic 4, Sonic Generations, Sonic Runners, for years Sega have been keeping Modern Sonic in the past (Lost Hex being slight exception). I don't want to encourage them to keep it that way.

Of course I might be wrong. Maybe "Classic Sonic" comic could take a page from Megaman and try to put new light on the old stories. "Kill 8 robots" isn't deep premise, but Flynn pulled it off (then again, I heard that Capcom gave him more freedom then Sega). And while my 2 point sound tricky, Flynn loves putting schemes like that.

10 hours ago, Mysterion said:

On the bright side, apparently issues will get back on schedule after March. Sucks that this probably even lasted as long as it has. 
Archie.thumb.png.61baf2caf32e6601ccec7bb

"Unfortunately the issues won't be out for some time due to a printing problem... we don't have enough money to get the comics printed. However we will never publicly say this because we are afraid to lose what's left of our dignity.

Apologies,

Archie Comics"

14 hours ago, Detective Panda said:

I really wish this would lead to a full comic series at some point.

Man if they could convince Sega of the selling power of a book that focuses on the Genesis era mixed with a little FF action with Tyson Heese doing this same Retro artstyle I'd buy the hell out of that book.

Sadly like Detective Reptiles said it's highly unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

jesus fucking christ why're you trying to kill this beautiful possibility of a baby already by already going "oh yeah if they add the FF and shit" no

if this gets to be a whole series let it just be the classic franchise as its own franchise and actually for one set it in the world of the games or close to it, man

• Thumbs Up 4

I...I like the FFs. Seeing Bunnie and Antoine fighting against Eggman's bots always makes my day. BUT on the other hand... I wouldn't actually be against a Sonic comic with, you know, just the Sonic cast from the games. I've already said countless times why Archie Sonic (the character), while now closer to his pre-Colours counterpart and being more entertaining than he used to be pre-Flynn, rubs me the wrong way sometimes; he acts more like an American Super-Hero and like some kind of Super Soldier of the Kingdom of Acorn or whatever the kingdom is called nowadays. And that's not something that it's going to change anytime soon; after all, that's what most American fans have seen in Sonic since its introduction to the US market, something which I'm not exactly fond of. But that's just my opinion.

So, yeah, seeing a Sonic who's trying to stop Eggman just because their paths crossed once again, and with just the help of his buddies from the games? I'm all for it.

EDIT: ah, right, since I guess some people will find it weird for me to say this, since my current profile pic is a group shot of my favourite Marvel heroes; Yeah, I like the concept of Superheroes, it's just that I'm not fond of Sonic being treated like one. To me he's always been the brave and kind-hearted guy who's out for Eggman just because that's the right thing to do. I'd make an example which would involve the Mickey Mouse and Peg-Leg Pete from the comics, but...I don't know how many users would get that.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, leemour84 said:

I'd rather Archie sell the rights to IDW

Personally, I'd rather not (even if it would surely make the situation better for some points (like no more such delays...)) : as flawed Archie is (especially now with all those delay and stuff), it's the last continuity that still use elements from Americans canon, and we don't know if IDW would keep the cool mix between the SEGASonic universe and elements from Satam/AoStH that Ian Flynn introduced. :/ It would be a bit sad to loose this use of a big part of Sonic's history because of all that.

For Mega Drive, I love the concept, especially with how cool are the cover and Hesse's sketchs, and a whole serie based of that one-shot would be like a dream ! I understand why some people would like apparition of FF and some Archie Exclusive character, in order, to expand also the "Satam/AoStH/ArchieExclusive" side of the new universe, but I think having a cool classic SEGASonic sidecomic would also be a cool thing of its own.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, The KKM said:

jesus fucking christ why're you trying to kill this beautiful possibility of a baby already by already going "oh yeah if they add the FF and shit" no

if this gets to be a whole series let it just be the classic franchise as its own franchise and actually for one set it in the world of the games or close to it, man

Because if it went to a full series I'd like to see it expand on the backstory of the comics universe. Because I will enjoy this one off but as a full series I'm sorry but just doing the game cast doesn't leave the book open for much TBH.

22 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Believe me, my idea of expansion for this potential side series wouldn't touch the FFs with a 10 foot barge pole, that just isn't needed. But I just feel with the way the retro brand is now, it couldn't sustain itself for a monthly serial. Maybe a bunch of miniseries or something if they were spaced out right. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Also I'd like to point out I said some Freedom Fighters. The Main Book is more about Sonic and the FF but a spin-off prequel could be more focused on Sonic's various adventures with and without the FF involved.

Or it could not even be set in the world of the main book at all. Just give us Ultimate Sonic, man. Make it Classic-themed. Straight out admit Classic Sonic as a separate parallel thing, and be freed for once from these shackles of a cartoon from 1992 that the main comic keeps dragging around.

12 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Or it could not even be set in the world of the main book at all. Just give us Ultimate Sonic, man. Make it Classic-themed. Straight out admit Classic Sonic as a separate parallel thing, and be freed for once from these shackles of a cartoon from 1992 that the main comic keeps dragging around.

Why do you have such a problem with Alternate versions of this franchise alternating so much. I mean God if you had your way everything would be 100% exactly like everything else.

What's wrong with a little Varity?

Also technically an "Ultimate Sonic" would take elements and rework them.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Why do you have such a problem with Alternate versions of this franchise alternating so much. I mean God if you had your way everything would be 100% exactly like everything else.

Variety isn't a bad thing, but you have to admit that it isn't strange for a fan of the games who doesn't care about the Archie OCs to fancy a comic based on the game universe with just elements from that part of the franchise.

And with 20 years and counting of games which tried to explore different parts of that universe, with countless characters to choose from to boot...it isn't much of a stretch.

Sega mandates aside, of course.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

When you consider that for these 20 years Archie has never tried a long-running attempt at NOT dragging SatAM around, I'd argue right now you're the one with a problem with alternating versions since you're refusing to even consider the beautiful chance of a purely-games comic :V

EDIT: ok, they did Sonic X, still not an attempt at making a purely-games comic

A Sonic comic that's just straight up set in the game 'verse would be cool. I could even see Archie and SEGA being interested in the idea, especially with this one shot happening.

Honestly, the main reason I don't see it happening anytime soon is because of whatever the hell's going on behind the scenes at Archie right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Ducktor Naldush Repulsa said:

Variety isn't a bad thing, but you have to admit that it isn't strange for a fan of the games who doesn't care about the Archie OCs to fancy a comic based on the game universe with just elements from that part of the franchise.

And with 20 years and counting of games which tried to explore different parts of that universe, with countless characters to choose from to boot...it isn't much of a stretch.

Sega mandates aside, of course.

Well you could say the same thing about IDW's Transformers comics. They're supposedly G1 based but there's several newer elements and characters from various other Transformers continuities.

When you consider that for these 20 years Archie has never tried a long-running attempt at NOT dragging SatAM around, I'd argue right now you're the one with a problem with alternating versions since you're refusing to even consider the beautiful chance of a purely-games comic :V

Yeah but those elements have changed. They may be based on a frankly overatted show but they've altered to be more in line with the games universe. It's like how, going back to the Transformers  point, G1 Optimus isn't the same as Movie Optimus isn't the same as Aligned Optimus. The Freedom Fighters in the comic aren't the same characters as the Freedom Fighters in SatAM.

Also >Implying. I never said I didn't want o see adventures with just the Sega cast just that a potential classic based book could balance out Game cast and Comic cast stories.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm with you on that one.  It gives fans a bit of choice.  It bulks up the cast somewhat with different, varying characters from across the franchise (I just like the idea of all of them meeting in the middle) and make some interesting stories the games aren't really offering any more.  I mean, frankly, I just don't think an all Sega cast comic would interest me as much as much as what we've got now because the number of characters is limited and the status quo would be just like the games. 

The current comics does the best of both worlds.  All the Sega characters are in their game counterpart's positions (albeit with some alterations) and the game's very feel and universe still remains, but you get a bucket load of unique characters that most fans have either forgotten, or more likely don't know.  They can sort of propel Sega characters in different ways that a comic based solely on the games couldn't do.  I just like the idea of all corners of Sonic history being crammed into two comic series that somehow create a cohesive, breathing world from them that makes me (and others) feel more satisfied than a completely game focused comic.

• Thumbs Up 2

The problem is, the "game's very feel" very much doesn't remain in the comics, only a pretense of it, which is the most frustrating part of it all and it's why the perspective of a separate, games-only comic is so beautiful and thus so doubly-frustrating to see the response to it be "yeah but where's the FF" or trying to force it to tie to the main comic.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, but it's not as if retro Sonic currently gets any new stories, it's not like having a comic with only that is giving over-representation. You've got the main Sonic comic and Sonic Universe if you want your hodge podge (well, when it's not delayed). 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, The KKM said:

The problem is, the "game's very feel" very much doesn't remain in the comics, only a pretense of it, which is the most frustrating part of it all and it's why the perspective of a separate, games-only comic is so beautiful and thus so doubly-frustrating to see the response to it be "yeah but where's the FF" or trying to force it to tie to the main comic.

I didn't say "Hey Are the Freedom Fighters". I said Hypothetically since by Flynn's own word Megadrive is in Comics canon should a full series happen they could expand on that element. Not that they should be the focus.

50 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Yeah, but it's not as if retro Sonic currently gets any new stories, it's not like having a comic with only that is giving over-representation. You've got the main Sonic comic and Sonic Universe if you want your hodge podge (well, when it's not delayed). 

Pretty much, that'd be perfection. Just have a side comic where for once, in the entire history of this franchise, there's an earnest attempt at being game-faithful in an age where we have the resources (IE access to japanese materials) to actually BE game-faithful. Just once, since that's something that for some god-forsaken reason has never EVER existed and I don't understand what about Sonic makes it so it's so verbotten to do it.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

EDIT: ok, they did Sonic X, still not an attempt at making a purely-games comic

I'm not advocating for the FF to be in this alternate story, but you remember all that time when people were suspicious of you wanting the comics to be a 1-to-1 version of the the games by removing these elements, an accusation that you kept denying?

Well, this isn't helping that case anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2