Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

For those who don't realize, there's a realistic chance Universe #83 might not be released until April

39 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

I'm not advocating for the FF to be in this alternate story, but you remember all that time when people were suspicious of you wanting the comics to be a 1-to-1 version of the the games by removing these elements, an accusation that you kept denying?

Well, this isn't helping that case anymore.

Well we're not talking about the main comics anymore either, so :V

12 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Well we're not talking about the main comics anymore either, so :V

Doesn't matter what we're talking about, you're basically admitting people's suspiciois that you previously were denying until now. That's just sheer hypocrisy.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, The KKM said:

Pretty much, that'd be perfection. Just have a side comic where for once, in the entire history of this franchise, there's an earnest attempt at being game-faithful in an age where we have the resources (IE access to japanese materials) to actually BE game-faithful. Just once, since that's something that for some god-forsaken reason has never EVER existed and I don't understand what about Sonic makes it so it's so verbotten to do it.

Ignoring that the mainline comics have been explicitly rebooted with this in mind? Or do you want to go as far as to making Sonic 06 canon to the comics as well?

1 minute ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Um, Sonic '06 is canon to the comic. 

Yeah, it's called Worlds Unite. :P

• Thumbs Up 5

51 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Doesn't matter what we're talking about, you're basically admitting people's suspiciois that you previously were denying until now. That's just sheer hypocrisy.

Is this "GOTCHA!" attitude really necessary? Wanting a strictly game-based Sonic thing is hardly a crime. I think we've had more than enough of that particular back and forth in this topic--sometimes you just need to let things go.

• Thumbs Up 9

9 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Is this "GOTCHA!" attitude really necessary? I think we've had more than enough of that particular subject in this topic, sometimes you just need to let things go. Wanting a strictly game-based Sonic thing is hardly a crime.

I wasn't out to get anyone actually, and I wasn't saying it's a crime to want either. And I agree this needs to be let go, but this keeps popping constantly and I'm not fond of the hypocrisy the goes on when it does.

I'm not gonna press on with it, but that was something that needed to be confirmed given how that adds to the problem.

Spoiler

Playing devil's advocate for a second, if hypothetically Archie were to come out and make a Sonic comic completely and utterly in the game canon, no other outside media influences, I think, if approached right, could work. Taking this "Classic" approach, for example, and adapting that series of games ala the Mega Man comic could potentially be interesting. That said, there was a lot of wiggle room for Mega Man for stuff like incorporating elements from later games and other adaptations. Furthermore, there are only so many Classic games with very little story to them, and I'm not sure which characters and concepts would even be allowed in a marketed "Classic" comic (not sure if the Hooligans or the Chaotix would be allowed for example). Story-wise, I'm not sure how much a writer would be able to get away with. As the occasional mini-series or some one-shot stories (like they're doing now), sure, but as a full on monthly comic, I don't know. I'd need to see what Mega Drive looks like to gauge how much originality can be pushed into this. Otherwise, the simplistic nature of the classics would essentially become a Roadrunner cartoon or the Boom comic. Again, not necessarily bad, but not really what I want out of a Sonic comic either.  

Disregarding the Classic mindset, just a comic adapting the games wholesale could work, but again, not sure how much wiggle room you'd have for story that the games themselves don't make redundant. What I like about comics as they are is that it shows how Eggman is affecting the entire world and how his plans are much bigger and have a much larger impact than just Sonic and his circle of friends. I like GUN having more direct involvement in what's going on that gives Team Dark something to do. I like that characters like Sally and Bunnie have a more personal stake in this conflict as Eggman directly attacked their home and Bunnie was affected in a way that changed her life forever. And I like that other groups around the world are following their example and fighting Eggman's tyranny as well. I figure either way, you're gonna want to add in some original characters and concepts if, for no other reason, the writer would just get bored. And a more game-centric comic could explore this stuff, but the main comic is, well, already doing it. And exploring these concepts just kinda naturally leads to the Freedom Fighters, or at least you'd end up with something like them.

My two cents on the matter. Put it in a spoiler because I don't think anyone really wants to engage this argument further, myself included honestly.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Here, confirm one more suspicion you like- that I like analogies that I hope make sense and sometimes don't.

Me: "I really like ketchup in fries and would welcome a separate dish of fries and ketchup"

You: "So you confirm you like ketchup in food despite saying you don't want to force everyone to eat ketchup with fries?"

Me: "No, I confirm that if there's a side plate of fries and ketchup to go with the main plate you people want of fries with mayo it'd be great"

You: "Doesn't matter, hypocrite!"

This is where I'd insert an image of something or other to add to the snark of the post. A dancing moon.

Anyways it DOES matter what we're talking about, yeah. I don't want all not!Games stuff scrubbed out of the main comic, although I'd appreciate the parts of it that are damaging, in my eyes, the games stuff, scrubbed off. On the topic of a separate, new, comic series, though? Yeah I feel confident in saying I'd like to see it for once just be purely about the games. As a separate thing that wouldn't replace the other comics, etc. etc.

But you know. You got me, pal. Aaaaah. Etc. I'm dead caught.

@Celestia sorry for making your job harder incidentally but this does feel ridiculous to me since it should be pretty clear but what do I know etc.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Ignoring that the mainline comics have been explicitly rebooted with this in mind? Or do you want to go as far as to making Sonic 06 canon to the comics as well?

I assume you're the one ignoring we're currently going through an entire arc altering the story of Unleashed and that a ton of divergences from the games have already been confirmed RE: how games happened in the past

PS: I hope this double post'll be automatically merge

@The KKM The snark and strawmans ares just adding fuel to fire that doesn't need to be there, dude.

And honestly, this is a matter of alternate setting = alternate rules, the same thing that applies in every other alternate setting. Nothing wrong with a purely games comic, but again the attitude you've had over the alternate elements isn't so convincing of the contrary whenever this discussion pops up. That's why I'm telling you it isn't helping your case.

• Thumbs Up 1

The point of "Megadrive" is to pay homage to the classic series/the games straight out. It doesn't need the baggage of the DiC and Archie original elements and can exist in its own space without interfering with the regular comic branch (it works for TMNT, so...). While I'm prone to disagreeing with KKM (I want to be honest here), I don't think he's necessarily advocating for an outright replacement/removal of the parts people like me like in the regular series (even if he says he'd prefer certain things changed). After all, alternate settings, right?

Can we maybe just let this go? Or at least find a better way of discussing this without the infighting?

@The KKM stow the attitude when you're arguing about this, 'kay? You can discuss this without it.

You know what? No. Nobody else is gonna try getting in the last word here. Any post relating to the argument after Zaysho's will be deleted.

• Thumbs Up 9

I get Sonic OVA flashbacks of Knuckles the mole (Echidna). XD Honestly, this is gonna be a great homage to the classics.

• Thumbs Up 1

It says it's a one-shot, but then there's a #1 on the cover. I'd honestly be happy with a mini-series, personally. Just four or six issues. Guess we'll see how this one goes, though.

18 minutes ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

It says it's a one-shot, but then there's a #1 on the cover.

It's a sales thing.  Comics with #1s on them (particularly ones that are really obvious like this one) tend to sell better.  It's the same reason why the #1 on the first parts of story arcs are so much larger than the Part 2/3/4 on the covers of later parts.

• Thumbs Up 3

Huh, I thought Genesis was one of the few things that was said to have also occurred in the new reality, but it's been confirmed that Operation Clean Sweep never happened in the current continuity, which takes out a lot of Genesis' backbone. 

Guess Ian really is doubling down on just going with Worlds Collide and the current stories instead of trying to incorporate old ones that could have happened due to not having old material in them. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Tylinos said:

It's a sales thing.  Comics with #1s on them (particularly ones that are really obvious like this one) tend to sell better.  It's the same reason why the #1 on the first parts of story arcs are so much larger than the Part 2/3/4 on the covers of later parts.

Yeah, I remember it from the Battle Books. I just mean that I'd love it if "one shot" in this case was referring to the graphic novel and we get a longer story in the monthlies.

While I don't want comics in 100% game world (there are too many holes, we don't even know if there are Mobian cities or if where Sonic lives), but I wouldn't mind a comic about Sonic WITHOUT Freedom Fighters.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, but I like Shadow, Knuckles, Rouge, Silver, Blaze and Amy more. Plus it would be nice to have story were Sonic does his thing and don't have to worry how to keep his buddies busy.

• Thumbs Up 4

I full-heartedly agree with you MetalSkulkBane. I'm still surprised that the Babylon Rogues haven't even showed up in the Post-Reboot yet. I'm quite curious to know what those guys are doing while the Shattered World Crisis is happening. Hopefully they'll at least show up for a short time in the Shattered Universe arc like Whisker and Johnny did for the last 2 parts of Pirate Plunder Panic. Also, I hope we get to see Knuckles fight against Walter Naugus and Amy against Wendy Naugus in that arc. It's too perfect for a battle like that to not go unnoticed. Any other predictions you have for the "Shattered" Universe arc or the "Panic in the Sky" arc?