Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Cliched and redundant, really. At least, not very spectacular when the alligator in your back yard is as likely to have it as a mythical beast in this world. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh great, Sonic now has it's own Spyro! All she needs is lightning and bubble.

3 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

But, as I've said at least once before, I'm really annoyed that they apparently kept her cliched fire breath from the old Archie Sonic comics instead of her much more creative ice breath from SatAM.

Dulcy had ice breath?!

...But will she still going to be a living lie detector that will prevent anyone from lying in front of her that will be mentioned only once and never again?

• Thumbs Up 6

of course not, even if they wanted to they couldn't because Get Benters would shout at them for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, biznizz said:

...But will she still going to be a living lie detector that will prevent anyone from lying in front of her that will be mentioned only once and never again?

Irony. I remember Gallagher's story around the 150s (not 100% on the details) covered her backstory and it turns out she lied to the Freedom Fighters about her past, including painting her nose ring black so they'd believe she could use her fire breath (I think this was due to some inconsistencies in earlier stories) when in reality she was banished from her tribe and the gold ring she had was meant to block that power. Naturally she gets redeemed when she saves the other dragons and receives a black ring.

I have to wonder if Gallagher purposefully ignored that little bit by Pen in an attempt to do something with her.

At this point, I welcome whatever Flynn does with Dulcy in the new 'verse. I can only expect improvements.

#155 and #156.  Interestingly, it was also the story that established that the Bem only prevented people they deroboticized from being roboticized again, which gave Ian the opportunity to do the Mecha Sally storyline.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to wait and see how Dulcy is in here before I go casting judgment about her appearance in the newer issues. I mean, yeah, she was incredibly forgettable, but maybe she can be interesting here. Or forgettable again. We'll see.

I'm just waiting for Eggman's Dozen to come out before I go on a read again. I stopped somewhere before the Fighters arc. I think. I don't remember.

Honestly, I'm more interested in seeing Dulcy's team than herself because I'm enjoying seeing new all these new characters show up in the comics. 

It's important to notice that that cover has Dulcy in an angle hard to use as reference and hard to understand her size. I'm sure that's also working towards there not being much fanart of it at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

The cover may not be a lot to go on as far as certain details, but considering she's close to Silver Sonic, which is quite big in the Archie 'verse, I think it's a decent indication of how big she might be at least.

On 3/7/2016 at 3:51 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

having a dragon Sonic character should be pretty cool

Shadow?

It depends on like what you think the black arms are.. it isn't made clear. LIke weird insect space dragons. To the degree in which black doom turns into one, and there are dragon type creatures in shadows game. And eclipse has a lizards tail. Its all very odd and vague. Shadow the... immortal hedgehog, space insect dragon... thing. Yeah... yeah.  Or something

Also shadow's game sort of indicates.. the reason why shadow looks the way he looks is because of the black arms. they even note the simular color pallets... so yeah he might be way more Dragon...insect thing...along with the hedgehog. And a science experiment? I guess it explains why his spines stay up more than the believed super sonic connection, because the black arms, have features like that. Eclipse in particular. Huh.....

I hope someone jokes about this in the comics. Calls him a gecko or something. 

• Thumbs Up 1

He's a hedgehog/alien hybrid and that's that. Reptilian-like or not, they're aliens as opposed to species we know. And Shadow clearly has the outer anatomy (plus probably most of the morphology) of any other hedgehog, so there's no reason he'd be confused with a reptile, and there's no way he's any part dragon. 

• Thumbs Up 9

14 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

He's a hedgehog/alien hybrid and that's that. Reptilian-like or not, they're aliens as opposed to species we know. And Shadow clearly has the outer anatomy (plus probably most of the morphology) of any other hedgehog, so there's no reason he'd be confused with a reptile, and there's no way he's any part dragon. 

I mean, the Black arms look pretty dragon, including his dear old dad black doom. Inspect space dragon? I mean, the black arms entire existence like throws a giant weird wrench into like... we think he is? He might just look like hedgehog because Gerald saw that temple thing. Because a lot of what he is, and what he can do... is sort of explained via black arms. Why does he have way more mastery than almost everyone else on the planet of that chaos whatever, black arms. why is he black and red, black arms. Why is he immortal , black arms, high durability, black arms., why does his spines just stick up, black arms, and the only other hedgehog character in existence with spines like shadow that stick up and curl up like horns not because of super whatever in game canon, is like mephilies, who upon seeing him had some weird connection to shadow, convinced him on multiple occasions to join up with him, and in the future has a bunch of creatures that look like black arms. So maybe shadow is ... also a demon? Or iblis was a super old alien? Like the guy sees shadow... and just models himself after shadow, just like " no this feels right ". clearly there was something.  And iblis again looks like a gaint dragon. 

I think this shadow the dragon, lizard insect thing has some merit. 

Shadow the demon insect space dragon? Does he have a devil trigger? He does have a blue motivated rival. We can make this work, shadow may cry revengence. I think I broke he code for the anniversary guys,. 

My understanding is that Shadow's form was chosen because it'd be easier to control, compared to the Biolizard (which is described as unruly and hard to control), and Black Doom's DNA made it possible to sustain him without the life-support system. Appearance-wise, his coloration comes from the Black Arms, but not much else.

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

My understanding is that Shadow's form was chosen because it'd be easier to control, compared to the Biolizard (which is described as unruly and hard to control), and Black Doom's DNA made it possible to sustain him without the life-support system. Appearance-wise, his coloration comes from the Black Arms, but not much else.

I think the spines going up is legit a black arms thing, Because the only other person or thing you see with the same situation, is iblis and mephilies, and as mentioned before, the monsters in crisis city look really frigging similar to black arms. 

The him being a hedgehog out of all animals thing, while this is super non canon. I like to believe the idea, like the pre-boot comics that hedgehogs just sort of had a connections to the chaos stuff. So he made one... or found one. They never elaborate how how shadow got there. 

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think the spines going up is legit a black arms thing, Because the only other person or thing you see with the same situation, is iblis and mephilies, and as mentioned before, the monsters in crisis city look really frigging similar to black arms. 

Hedgehogs seem to be able to style their spines however, and Shadow's upturned spines are typically attributed to the Hidden Palace Zone mural of Super Sonic. It's hard to say it's a "legit black arms thing" since I don't think most of them really have anything like that. The closest is probably the Black Oak, but even then I wouldn't see that as an exclusive trait. Eclipse was designed as a counter to Shadow, and was given a similar form, minus the Hedgehog appearance.

The monsters in Crisis City are just demons/Iblis spawn, and I'd assume they had the same designer from Shadow working on '06. I don't really see how you can connect them, honestly.

Just now, Zaysho said:

Hedgehogs seem to be able to style their spines however, and Shadow's upturned spines are typically attributed to the Hidden Palace Zone mural of Super Sonic. It's hard to say it's a "legit black arms thing" when there's not really a clear indication among any of Black Arms from the original game. Eclipse was designed as a counter to Shadow, and was given a similar form, minus the Hedgehog appearance.

The monsters in Crisis City are just demons/Iblis spawn, and I'd assume they had the same designer from Shadow working on '06. I don't really see how you can connect them, honestly.

Eh, they look a shit ton like black arms. Like similar designer sure, but like some of the monsters look... like exactly like black arms. Like in a game with a bunch of weird character redeisgns, this monsters just happen to look like the black arms? And mephilies for no apparent reason is like " yo fam, how about you get on this world destruction train " Like his entire cadence towards shadow seems strange. He tricks silver, and tries to kill sonic, but shadow. While yes as a fan of shadow It would just be fun to believe that shadow is very strong, and he would be a strong ally to have. Heck, they do that same plot point multiple times with shadow in other things, but  mephilisis's cadence towards the guy is... odd. 

And yeah we are talking about a hypothetically story thread who's chance of getting a continuation at this point might be in the negative percentages. But I don't know, this sort of feels like a thing they wanted to do. But... as we have all seen we saw the quality and the reception to those games were, or at least sonic 06. Its just kind of left open. 

What exactly is odd about it though? He wanted Shadow to join him because he's strong. That's it. You're overcomplicating things.

Now, I can maybe see that Mephiles, in taking Shadow's form in the past, might have used that to his advantage in Silver's future and may have been the reason Shadow was imprisoned in the first place and so hoped that this would make Shadow hate humans all over again and be willing to join him (naturally it doesn't work because Shadow has a stronger will than that), but I don't think he has any deep-seated reason for wanting Shadow to work for him other than being a demon trying to tempt a strong being into falling in with him.

3 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I don't think i'm trying to over complicate anything, and I think there is something there, but you dissagree so. I guess i'm just going to end this here because its going to become a very circular argument. " You aren't seeing enough" "You are seeing too much" .and I got way off base, my original point I guess is  depending on how you feel about black arms, maybe space dragon insect could be added to the end of shadow's name. 

Theories are fine and all, but I question what you're saying because I don't think it lines up with anything that's actually present in official materials (Sonic Team's inconsistent writing aside).

And going back to your original point, it doesn't really matter how you see the Black Arms. At the end of the day, Shadow is a hedgehog, special circumstances or not.

But yes, let's let the topic move on.

Ok, new  topic. 

The only super interesting thing that I have seen coming out from archie that actually looks cool is the classic sonic stuff. And that's sort of dissapointing? A lot of the previews I have seen aren't doing to much for me. Maybe thats good for me, I got hyped over worlds unite, and... good god how that turned out. 

But like the .. I dunno even though its just covers, the summer thing this year just kind of doesn't have my interest 

It's hard to stay exited after death of 2 books and mediocre crossover. Overall Flynn wasn't impressing me lately, Aleah Baker did better job in comparison. (Championship story arc being an exception)

Still, I;m trying to stay positive. And while I'm trying to avoid future covers (No spoilers for me), I'm exited for Eggman Dozen. Villain Vs Villain is always fun. It allows for villain to win for a change, unlike disappointing hero VS hero fights (coughTotalEclipsecoughCollidecough)

Total eclipse is a fun lesson in how to write gigantic plot holes to push a fight that really wouldn't nor needed to happen. 

Also thanks for reminded me about the dead books, I am the sad now.