Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I don't think it particularly is. Classic Sonic is what SEGA are using as retro Sonic's de-facto title, so he gets that moniker. Younger Sonic being called Genesis Sonic is a callback to the Genesis arc, which would have been set around that time. And Breezie's moniker doesn't matter as she doesn't exist in SEGA's retro brand. 

The cover sounds like it might have been a change of plan somewhere along the line so Archie could do a fully classic cover as it was solely conveying a classic game moment (the reverse to that one cover where Sonic and Amy had classic headshots but were changed as that was intermixed with Archie elements on the same cover). 

What they should have done though is explained this to the artist beforehand to make sure they were clear on it before doing anything. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oooh *slaps head*

Also something I wondered about: this is the first real time we've seen Naugus since 252 (276 cameo aside), so wouldn't the fact that he got spooked out of Castle Acorn need to be touched upon in some way?

I dunno, I just feel it'd be weird if Naugus' most recent endevour at reclaiming his magic wasn't brought up in some way.

He might have forgotten that he got spooked by the memories, but I would imagine he'd bring up the conquest during a personal confrontation. 

Man, this is gonna be awesome!

And then there's college...

Either way, I'm still reading it in my free time next week.

Wendy joins the Eggman fangirl train, along with Katella and Thunderbolt. And people say Sonic is a babe magnet.

• Thumbs Up 8

Question: We know Sega has mandates. What explanation is there for each mandate?

For example: Why can't SegaSonic characters have families other than Cream? Why is there a restriction on Dr. Nega appearing in the comics?

I know there are more, but I can't think of what they were.

2 minutes ago, Arranos said:

Question: We know Sega has mandates. What explanation is there for each mandate?

For example: Why can't SegaSonic characters have families other than Cream? Why is there a restriction on Dr. Nega appearing in the comics?

I know there are more, but I can't think of what they were.

1) The family mandate is that Sega characters can't have relatives that didn't originate from the games.

2) Eggman Nega isn't allowed because Sega can't figure out what to do with him. 

13 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Eggman Nega isn't allowed because Sega can't figure out what to do with him.

He should've replaced the Onyx City Council in the "Silver Age" Universe arc. They were literally the most bland and unoriginal villains that give the Deadly Six a run for their money. At the Sonic Boom 2012 Event, Takashi Iizuka revealed that Eggman Nega originated from the future with Silver, not the Sol Dimension. Despite hearing that, Sega doesn't know what to do with him because of sheer stupidity on their part.

1 hour ago, Forte-Metallix said:

2) Eggman Nega isn't allowed because Sega can't figure out what to do with him. 

This one I don't really get. While Sega aren't sure what to do with him, Archie had some cool ideas with him essentially declaring war on the Zone Cops. And even with the Zone Cops gone, they could easily continue with him raising hell across all of space and time like an evil Doctor (besides the Master I mean). Plus, Archie's got a pretty good track record of taking forgotten and poorly received characters and concepts and making good use of them, so why not let them have at it with Nega? Certainly would have made sense to use him in Worlds Unite for example, much more so than the Deadly Six.

• Thumbs Up 4

The Deadly 6 were pretty much put in WU because the were the new big villains Sega wanted to market in some way. And even then they weren't nearly as well utilized there, I feel. Say what you will of how they're written in LW, I still vastly prefer that over them being bland henchmen for an uninteresting villain like Sigma.

And I don't think Nega is even worth a passing thought on being in the comic. He certainly was conceptualized on less than one. ;p 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, DarkLight said:

The Deadly 6 were pretty much put in WU because the were the new big villains Sega wanted to market in some way. And even then they weren't nearly as well utilized there, I feel. Say what you will of how they're written in LW, I still vastly prefer that over them being bland henchmen for an uninteresting villain like Sigma.

And I don't think Nega is even worth a passing thought on being in the comic. He certainly was conceptualized on less than one. ;p 

Now, let's be fair here. Sigma was interesting in the Megaman comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, antyep said:

or why Archie can't use the classic designs for flashbacks?

They have, a couple times. If you mean things like Sonic's eyes, then it's for continuity's sake, since Sonic didn't actually get green eyes when SA1 rolled around, that was just the point where they started drawing characters with that level of detail.

36 minutes ago, brohman428 said:

This one I don't really get. While Sega aren't sure what to do with him, Archie had some cool ideas with him essentially declaring war on the Zone Cops. And even with the Zone Cops gone, they could easily continue with him raising hell across all of space and time like an evil Doctor (besides the Master I mean). Plus, Archie's got a pretty good track record of taking forgotten and poorly received characters and concepts and making good use of them, so why not let them have at it with Nega? Certainly would have made sense to use him in Worlds Unite for example, much more so than the Deadly Six.

Good track record or not, they may be a tad bit wary handing over creative control of Nega over to Archie. This isn't a character like Tikal, where her backstory is set and her place in the videogame canon is solid. Nega's a walking clusterf*ck who's roster spot is still very much in the air. He's got a more messed up spot in the timeline than any other character. If Archie takes over from here, then they would essentially be the poets of his future. That is not an ideal situation for Sega. In order to utilize Nega down the line, they would have to fight whatever Archie chooses to do now.

The Chaotix are a great example of this. Archie took those characters and ran with them for years. Free to build them up on their own story paths and whatnot. When the time came to bring them back for Sonic Heroes, we all got slapped upside the head with the culture shock of a buff Vector (the original Buffles the Echidna debate lol). Sega had to re-establish Vector Espio and Charmy in the face of their Archie counterparts. Then Archie had to re-brand their own Chaotix crew to follow suit. Regardless if your happy with the end results, or the compromises that were made in the transition, that process is confusing and requires extra effort.

Thusly, its just easier to keep Nega on ice. Until Sega nails him down a bit more.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think its because they haven't settled or finalized the current standing of Nega. The Sonic Rival series said he's from the future, but they never released in Japan so I believe many Japanese fans still consider him to be from Blaze's world (I'm not saying it needs to be published in Japan to be canon). Also, wasn't he stuck in a dimension in said series? Since he does show up on the Olympics series, SEGA haven't completely scrapped him out of existence. Pretty much what Sega DogTagz said, he is concrete enough to count as a canon character in the series, but lack too much important info to incorporate him into the comics. He's different from Silver who as long as he has the specific character and comes from a future, you're free do do whatever. He is more complicated and troublesome than that. What if Archie does makes him into the OP time/space traveling evil guy you want, only to have SEGA give info that makes the Archie-version out of character/not connecting to game canon at all? They won't be able to suddenly "fix" his character.

That reminds me, I am still surprised SEGA let Archie!Eggman conquer the world and rule the continents by sadistic methods. He is evil but also supposed to be childish and immature (which is why he loses to Sonic and his friends), so its still hard for me to see him the same as game Eggman. He's more dangerous and cruel like Nega, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Good track record or not, they may be a tad bit wary handing over creative control of Nega over to Archie. This isn't a character like Tikal, where her backstory is set and her place in the videogame canon is solid. Nega's a walking clusterf*ck who's roster spot is still very much in the air. He's got a more messed up spot in the timeline than any other character. If Archie takes over from here, then they would essentially be the poets of his future. That is not an ideal situation for Sega. In order to utilize Nega down the line, they would have to fight whatever Archie chooses to do now.

The Chaotix are a great example of this. Archie took those characters and ran with them for years. Free to build them up on their own story paths and whatnot. When the time came to bring them back for Sonic Heroes, we all got slapped upside the head with the culture shock of a buff Vector (the original Buffles the Echidna debate lol). Sega had to re-establish Vector Espio and Charmy in the face of their Archie counterparts. Then Archie had to re-brand their own Chaotix crew to follow suit. Regardless if your happy with the end results, or the compromises that were made in the transition, that process is confusing and requires extra effort.

Thusly, its just easier to keep Nega on ice. Until Sega nails him down a bit more.

Fair enough, but I'd be more accepting of that if Sega had any real plan with Nega. Outside of the Olympic games, they don't even acknowledge his existence (like most of the cast these days but still). Not to mention, what would Archie do that would be so dramatically different than whatever Sega might do?

Why not have Eggman Nega get involved with the Genesis Portals? Some interesting things could be done with that. I could see him exploring the "Genesis Nexus" dimension that Sticks was theorizing about at the end of Worlds Unite.

I suspect that some of the mandates have to do with things Sega feel Archie handled poorly in earlier incarnations.  While I can't claim to have exhaustive knowledge of Archie canon, one doesn't exactly have to look far to hear about things like Knuckles's all-encompassing family drama, or Eggman being replaced by clones and robots and such...  I can see how that might have led to firmer mandates against non-canon relatives and Eggman counterparts.

Honestly I've had this idea in mind the Nega is literally the only Dr. Eggman Nega in the Multiverse. He started looking around and realized that in every world he was the only version of himself so he decided to change that. His plan would be to collapse the Multiverse into one singular reality and correct "Realities Mistake" of making only one of his genius.

It'd at least work for a "Turtles Forever" style Sonic crossover I think.

49 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly I've had this idea in mind the Nega is literally the only Dr. Eggman Nega in the Multiverse. He started looking around and realized that in every world he was the only version of himself so he decided to change that. His plan would be to collapse the Multiverse into one singular reality and correct "Realities Mistake" of making only one of his genius.

It'd at least work for a "Turtles Forever" style Sonic crossover I think.

You could definitely go further with this idea by having Eggman Nega discover "Genesis Nexus". Seriously, this place is pretty much "Cosmic Interstate 2.0"!

GenesisNexus

This is a very important detail that needs to be expanded on after the Shattered World Crisis is over.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

They have, a couple times. If you mean things like Sonic's eyes, then it's for continuity's sake, since Sonic didn't actually get green eyes when SA1 rolled around, that was just the point where they started drawing characters with that level of detail.

Yeah but recently, they don't seem to be allowed to show Eggman's classic look, for example. They have to work around the rules just to show it.

14 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I agree with SilverStarN64.

Thank you, ShadowSJG. That really does mean a lot to me. I'm glad someone out there isn't totally ignoring my ideas. There's also the "cliffhanger" at the end of SU Issue 82. You really think Evan Stanley is going to ignore that plot point? I know that's pretty much leading to a sequel.

Blaze could potentially team up with Silver in another Universe arc after the Shattered World Crisis is over. We haven't seen her appear anywhere since Pirate Plunder Panic...which was back in 2013, if I recall correctly. This could be a good chance to show off more of their friendship that was shown in Sonic Colors DS.

Where will Silver go after he dealt with Vile in that "MM: Battle Book" issue? That's an important plot point too. On the Mobius Wiki, it states that Silver does remembers the events of Worlds Unite like Sticks, Sonic, Eggman, Mega Man, and Wily.

I'm intrigued by the this Genesis Nexus universe. A place where all Genesis portals originate from. A place that is even more mysterious than the Special Zone, though not quite as trippy from what we seen of the world, unless of course, the writers make it  where the Nexus dimension's sky cape constantly changes like how the Interdimensional Highway always had a different sky cape than the one before it.

I also want to learn more about Gold as well. How else would she be able to create Genesis Portals so easily? Even when she was just a child, she still had that weird Pokémon-like symbol on her forehead. It's very likely that Gold is the female counterpart to Silver (kind of like Blaze being a female counterpart to Sonic in a way). Both Silver and Gold have the unique ability to close and open Genesis Portals respectively. The former relies on "telekinetic" abilities while the latter relies on "telepathic" abilities. Their personalities are quite similar too (although, Silver is a bit more confident than her).