Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I like that they didn't just go nuts with detail to try and distinguish him, which could've been a thing (it's what Cylent does there), but that needs to be balanced with interesting shapes or something, not just boring ol bear.

To me it seems like Bearenger was designed to look like a classic-era Sonic character with it's simplicity which I appriciate, Falke should definitely have been more wolf-like though, and Carrotia more goofy. Just because she's female doesn't mean she has to be all pretty like the others!

• Thumbs Up 2

Uff, I finally caught on. Ok, about the issue: Okay, but nothing impressive so far.

1 Wendy so far doesn't impress. She has own personality but she doesn't feel like needed addition to Nagus so far. But I like that her hair look exactly like Naugus's beard (5 tips). I hope Twins have some plan other then "revenge". Witch carters are...boring. I get it, they lackeys, they aren't suppose to be too interesting. But extreme gears? Those bland redesigns? I like much better that picture 3 posts above me. I hope Carrotia isn't mute, I doubt she can pull it as gracefully as Bark.

2 "I'd be intimidated, but Tails took down these misbegotten misfits on his own. Before he stepped out of Sonic's shadow." Only I cringe a little on that line? It's so unnatural thing to say. This SU has flashbacks, won't we see Tails beat them in next issue or two? I know, nitpick. But this isn't first time Flynn did it.

3 Best part is looking at all Egg Bosses. Notice that each of them have different video screen. Thunderbolt rocks, but I'm not sold on Speedy's new look. (Yes, diaper was silly, but this uniform is just kinda bland. But I understand why he's still green: there is no point in making thing even more confusing after reboot.) I just hope Flynn can manage Eggman, Metal, 11 bosses, Twins, carters AND 8 pages of flashbacks in just 4 issues. That seems almost impossible.

Lastly my though on Nega dispute that I missed: We're crazy aren't we? Sega made canon recolor, messed him up, everyone hated him and now we wonder how to put him in the comics? Don't get me wrong, I'm on the same boat, but that is funny when you take step back.

Anyway, Nega can easily be Villain for both Silver and Blaze. Why not? Kingpin can do it to Daredevil/Spider-man. Doctor Doom is more villain of entire Marvel than Fantastic Four. Bowser is villain in Mario and in Yoshi spin-offs. Hitler fought Stalin AND Churchill. Villains are energetic people, they can fight on two fronts.

I think Sega is just embarrassed for creating him and don't know what to do with him. (They use in in Olympics  because they're running out of characters to put). Of course Flynn could came up with idea, but Flynn could probably fix entire franchise if you let him, but All Mighty Sega won't listen to some archie writer. They let someone else make a rebooted games and look what happened (Sonic Boom).

But what would be mine solution? Nega is from the future, he lied before. He hates Eggman so he declared himself "opposite version of him". First he tried to help that idiot become real Robotnik, but after 2 Rush games he gave up and decided to take his place (Rivals). He owns some technology from the future, but only a little so he isn't too OP. He lost time traveling machine long time ago, so he mostly jumps between Chaos Dimension and Sol Dimension. Perhaps he likes Blaze Word because no one compares him to Eggman there. Of course Silver tries to capture him, Nega does messes the timeline. And while he is pretty smart and knowing future gives him a little edge, he's not nearly as intelligent as Eggman. I mean, Metal Sonic 3.0? He claims that Eggman is a failure, but all he can do is copying his grand-grand-grand-pappy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I don't like Bearenger's design. It just looks so boring and bland compared to every other anthro character in the comics.

The body design is good and the shoes & gloves are okay but I dislike his head/face design because it looks like they just slapped a simple Sonic head base on it and nothing else.

They could've at least given him a hat (not a beanie because then he would look a Bark clone) or you know, actual hair so he would look a bit more unique? (not human hair, I mean the extensions of fur used for hair).

You know what could've more interesting? Instead of giving him generic Knuckles esque muzzle, they could given him a more bear like muzzle.

Think Baloo from The Jungle Book.image.jpeg

They pretty much missed this opportunity with Bark as well. 

They're BEARS! Make them actually look like bears!

Then again, if we went by my logic then they would made Knuckles look like an actual echidna by giving him a long snout with nostrils instead of a dog face and giving Bean his original more realistic duck bill from Fighters. ( and I prefer his more stylized beak in the comics)

Besides, I don't think anyone wants to see Charmy looking like an actual bee....

Finally got to reading SU #83! (I pre-ordered a physical copy)

I must say the reveal of the Egg Bosses, how their general personalities are shown and how they feel about being working for Eggman are pretty well done, certainly the best part of the issue! Also it appears newcomers Maw and Abyss are both a kind of cyborg James Bond type and a raiding sea pirate respectfully, which are both interesting. The Grand Kukku and Speedy's slight redesign are both very welcomed, as the high-heeled look the Battle Lord had in the game was rather weird and unexplained, and Speedy looks more like his game counterpart and less like a duck. (and more like Drawloverla's interpritation of him, aw yis)

And while I agree the Witchcarters appear kind of one-dimensional and bland (though they're still an interesting team, and you wonder if they're familiars or people she actually gained the loyalty of), the end does say that we'll be seeing more of them and what they're like, so there's that to look forward to. They also sort of remind me of the Destructix (Fiona Fox, Flying Frog and Sargent Simian), so perhaps they're a reimagined version of them with similar backstories?

• Thumbs Up 2

Man, am I the only one who really doesn't give a shit about Speedy's coloring? Because this seems like such a weird thing to take issue with to me.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, SBR2 said:

Man, am I the only one who really doesn't give a shit about Speedy's coloring? Because this seems like such a weird thing to take issue with to me.

You're not alone, I feel the same way. People just need to suck it up and deal with it. The only green birds that actually matter are Jet, Bean, and Speedy. Three is a small number. Why should I care about a minor detail like color, when I can appreciate the character for their own abilities, personality, and actions?

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

You're not alone, I feel the same way. People just need to suck it up and deal with it. The only green birds that actually matter are Jet, Bean, and Speedy. Three is a small number. Why should I care about a minor detail like color, when I can appreciate the character for their own abilities, personality, and actions?

I understand that but it doesn't kill them to have some freaking color variety for a change. It's perfectly fine and normal for characters to share colors but not if it you resemble another if there's no relation to that other character. It's a bigger nitpick when there's another character that resembles said character who already resembled the original character in the first place.

It just bothers me a bit, it's like having 6 small young orange-yellow brainiacs that none of them are related whatsoever (sound familiar?). 

Look, it doesn't mean it's the end of the world nor will it ruin the comics for me.

It's just annoying.

I do like Speedy's design btw.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

latest?cb=20120311211006

New Suit > Flight Harness that looks like a Diaper

Um you mean Extreme Undies!

Ce5UOxvXIAA0IMu.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, Xeric said:

Ok, that quote sounds more like an unwilling partnership rather than the subservience of the other Eggbosses. Such as he teamed up with Eggman after his defeat at the hand of Tails, and has kept up the charade. It's obvious neither of them have Cybernetics, so an ally of choice. So I'm guessing that Flynn is setting up a future rebellion

• Thumbs Up 6

41 minutes ago, Destructo-Duck said:

I understand that but it doesn't kill them to have some freaking color variety for a change. It's perfectly fine and normal for characters to share colors but not if it you resemble another if there's no relation to that other character. It's a bigger nitpick when there's another character that resembles said character who already resembled the original character in the first place.

It just bothers me a bit, it's like having 6 small young orange-yellow brainiacs that none of them are related whatsoever (sound familiar?). 

Look, it doesn't mean it's the end of the world nor will it ruin the comics for me.

It's just annoying.

I do like Speedy's design btw.

Well, you do make a fair point. I'm not saying that you're wrong for believing that. However, fans like us can't really do much about it. It's what the artists and SEGA wants. Whatever they say is how they want it to be. Trevor Burrow seems to be the biggest issue with this whole "color" ordeal. Quite frankly, I do agree with them. It's pretty lazy, but I can at least tolerate it.

Also, what did you mean by "6 small young orange-yellow brainiacs"?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Because visuals part of the character. Its the first thing people see before action/personality/ability, and helps characterize the individual just by that one picture of them. That's how characters in fiction like these work, right? Heck, look at the game cast. They all have different color and traits that characterize their trait and set them apart. There is no hedgehog in the same color, and while Blaze and big are both purple cats its in a different shade and have different body shape plus design that set them apart. The only same ones are Vanilla and Cream, because they're mother and daughter. 

Its similar to the mole guy. It felt like lazy work for him to be purple when he's a golden mole and also a big buff power type, both characteristic similar to Thrash and Rotor (maybe Big, he's not "buff" but big, purple, and a power type). It didn't help that there are only a few of the said power types, making the ratio of purple to non-purple pretty bad. It takes away their uniqueness when there are two more character with identical visual traits. Its like having four Sonic with different personality and ability. Unless you think that's interesting. 

We don't have that big a cast in the comic yet, but considering the number of bird in there 3 is a decent number to be concerned about. Jet and Bean look different enough and there were only two of them so no one complained, but Speedy and Bean both lack any distinct physical trait that make them unique. Especially when Speedy looked like a Bean wearing goggles and diapers, then a Bean wearing goggles and white suit. Speedy doesn't even have to be white. If Archie's going to make his design so different from his counterpart, they could've made him dull green like his dad, and everyone would be happy.

Of course I know that complaining here won't do anything. But as people are free to praise the good part of the comic, I'm sure we are also free to criticize the bad points. Isn't that the whole point of this Topic?

• Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Also, what did you mean by "6 small young orange-yellow brainiacs"?

Same deal as the big purple guy issue. 

Tails is a small young orange-yellow brainiac, now imagine 5 more characters that look just like him and have similar traits.

And yes, I did read your whole post so I'm glad you understand:), I agree that we do need to deal with this nitpick and enjoy the characters regardless. 

I only quoted your question because it needed to be answered.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. The issue was worth the wait. Now the wait for Egg Boss #12 starts. Question is: Snively, Wendy, or someone else? Is there an area that hasn't been covered yet?

Anyway, really loved the issue. Can't wait to read the other three parts later on. Hopefully, they can have Dr. Fukurokov cameo in an issue later on (Panic in the Sky maybe?)

Things to consider: Eggman has a secret that keeps the Bosses in line and Egg Boss #12 still needs to be revealed (see two lines above this line).

2. They're characters with different-colored skins. Everyone has interpretations and opinions. We have to respect them. They're going through all this trouble just to add these characters and appeal to their fans while giving them all their personalities. It's not the color of their skin, but the personality they possess that truly matters.

I'm not bothered by this.

3. Still waiting on the Babylon Rogues. If memory serves, every Game Character that can be used has appeared in the comics except for them. Where are they and what are they doing?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Because visuals part of the character. Its the first thing people see before action/personality/ability, and helps characterize the individual just by that one picture of them. That's how characters in fiction like these work, right? Heck, look at the game cast. They all have different color and traits that characterize their trait and set them apart. There is no hedgehog in the same color, and while Blaze and big are both purple cats its in a different shade and have different body shape plus design that set them apart. The only same ones are Vanilla and Cream, because they're mother and daughter. 

Its similar to the mole guy. It felt like lazy work for him to be purple when he's a golden mole and also a big buff power type, both characteristic similar to Thrash and Rotor (maybe Big, he's not "buff" but big, purple, and a power type). It didn't help that there are only a few of the said power types, making the ratio of purple to non-purple pretty bad. It takes away their uniqueness when there are two more character with identical visual traits. Its like having four Sonic with different personality and ability. Unless you think that's interesting. 

We don't have that big a cast in the comic yet, but considering the number of bird in there 3 is a decent number to be concerned about. Jet and Bean look different enough and there were only two of them so no one complained, but Speedy and Bean both lack any distinct physical trait that make them unique. Especially when Speedy looked like a Bean wearing goggles and diapers, then a Bean wearing goggles and white suit. Speedy doesn't even have to be white. If Archie's going to make his design so different from his counterpart, they could've made him dull green like his dad, and everyone would be happy.

Of course I know that complaining here won't do anything. But as people are free to praise the good part of the comic, I'm sure we are also free to criticize the bad points. Isn't that the whole point of this Topic?

Fair enough, then. I can live with that. I do understand what you mean, and I can see why some people are a little disappointed. We all have different tastes in preferences and there's nothing wrong with that.

55 minutes ago, Arranos said:

The issue was worth the wait. Now the wait for Egg Boss #12 starts. Question is: Snively, Wendy, or someone else? Is there an area that hasn't been covered yet?

Nope. It's not Snively. Eggman quotes: "I wonder whatever happened to that twerp."

Wendy is treading on thin ice, though. The way she flirted with Eggman and how she teases Walter...her uniform is pretty suspicious too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Arranos said:

Still waiting on the Babylon Rogues. If memory serves, every Game Character that can be used has appeared in the comics except for them. Where are they and what are they doing?

They live in an airship. They're not really doing anything important right now. We'll have to wait until the Shattered World Crisis is over for the Rogues to return.

*Crosses fingers for X returning character that won't be coming back but damnit Helen a man can dream*

Oh yeah, and the question sections says we'll see the Hooligans really soon, and doing something important.

Some people are getting super hyped over it because they just found out, but I'm guessing these people haven't seen the revealed Panic in the Sky covers that made it blatant months ago. 

14 hours ago, Tenko said:

Bearenger in this image for example is more what I assumed a redesign would result in. Adding a little something, a little extra zing, to the otherwise plain character, like has been done a lot in the past to give older characters new life.

unnamed.png

I think they look like goobers.

Especially the  bear, that is arguably the most nothing sonic design i seen a while.

Bearenger looks like they gave him a similar body type to how they drew Bark.

I honestly thought the battle lord was green all this time. Huh.

I'll shed a tear for the loss of Speedy's crooked beak, but aside from that I'm cool with his new look. The speedsuit/flight suit is an upgrade over his harness, and he's still the short-squat ace we all know and love. Just hurry up and throw him at Tails already lol.

• Thumbs Up 1