Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

25 minutes ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

It was definitely there. It was subtle but the big moment for him was at the very end of Team Dark's story where Rouge tries to confide into Omega her fear that Shadow is actually a robot. She stops and says nevermind and wishes him good luck on his revenge because she figures he wouldn't care about her concern but then for the first time in the entire game, Omega actually stops her and addresses her concern by reminding her that there's a small chance the original could still exist due to the option of cloning. And then he walks off. And from then on you do gradually start to see little tidbits of him lightening up a bit around them. 

Then again it still just assumption. I mean someone else can look at this scene and say that Omega was simple just stating what he "thought" (or correcting her). Not necessary that he was concerned.

1 hour ago, blade57331 said:

I think you making a lot of assumptions there. Did we ever saw him warm up to them in that game? I surely don't remember him changing at all in Heroes.

He comforted Rouge when she felt sad about Shadow being an "Android" (though we all know the end of that story).  It's not a huge piece of evidence, but it clearly shows he had something of a heart in the end.

I agree with Dr. Chaotix and QuantumEdge, Omega's comment about androids was clearly act of friendliness on his part (even if that's the only time he ever did that.)

What I preferred in SU 2 reasoning for his betrayal. "Eggman locked me in this room" is just silly and makes Eggman look like and dummy.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, blade57331 said:

Then again it still just assumption. I mean someone else can look at this scene and say that Omega was simple just stating what he "thought" (or correcting her). Not necessary that he was concerned.

No, I don't think so. Omega would really have no reason to state what he thought on the matter if it wasn't something he didn't care about to some degree. It's not as though he just has an affinity for going around correcting things and making sure they stand at attention in accordance to protocol. The entire idea behind the foundation of his character is that he destroys things anyway. Throughout that entire game he only ever mentioned wanting revenge against Eggman and at the beginning of the game he even made it sound like he would willingly drop the two of them if they ended up not servicing him well in a few of the dialogue snippets. He even says "That's a load off my back" when Shadow and Rouge get taken out in the Grand Metropolis battle against the Chaotix. So the fact that at the end of the game he showed a very minimal amount of care for her peace of mind was interesting. 

18 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Doesn't Omega's primary motive prove he has a heart? Mad at Eggman, wants revenge?

darth maul has it out for the sith emperor and wants revenge too but i'm 100% he lacks any kind of heart

personally my orignal feelings on how omega showed up in the comics was more or less annoyed due to the fact that it felt like omega himself lost some character due to the fact that it felt kinda like he forcefully got part of gammas programing stuck in him and that it was basicly gamma running around in a newer body potentially 

that said though ignoring that tiny bit of detail i still enjoy how omega is in the comics and since there was a reboot that implemented the game cannon into the comics i can't really complain

• Thumbs Up 1

That's Sage, a fancharacter from a discussion group ABT tends to post in and take requests from.

• Thumbs Up 8

So #280 is out now, and while the panel of Chip being all suddenly sappy with Tails' memories of Sonic seemed kind of tacked on at the end of the preview pages,

Spoiler

the actual issue goes on to show us that Chip has bonded with the Freedom Fighters and that he is happy to call them his friends. While he hadn't been given that much focus, this issue has him reawaken a Gaia Temple and come into contact with an ancient deity as he unlocks his memories of being Light Gaia, with a little bit of Sonic mythology about "the Chaos Titans" mentioned for good measure. While it does seem kind of silly that Chip is talking to a floating light in space, it does add more significance to him in the overall arc, and the mention of a mythology in the Sonic universe is almost never heard of,which is pretty neat.

The second story I thought was going to be another flimsy quest at getting the next Gaia Key, because the heroes always get them in the end, but it actually does a good job at expanding on Sally and Rotor, and even brings back Honey! It gets surprisingly deep into why Sally is so determined to help these people, even bringing up her mother that she never got be with. Plus the art is simply awesome. Its obvious that Jennifer is getting better with expressions and how to light the mood.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this issue!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Some new sketches by Official Archie Artist AdamBryceThomas

abyss_sketch_by_adambrycethomas-d9yuok9.

carrotia_sketch_by_adambrycethomas-d9yuo

neph_sketch_by_adambrycethomas-d9yuokk.j

quick_sketch_by_adambrycethomas-d9yuon9.

(I have no idea who this is or if this is an official character from the book)

sall_by_adambrycethomas-d9yuonk.jpg

rougegolf_by_adambrycethomas-d9yuonq.jpg

Great sketches!

14 minutes ago, Drawloverlala said:

XD someone found these on facebook

tumblr_o5i9deAYcg1qfv2glo1_1280.jpgtumblr_o5i9deAYcg1qfv2glo2_1280.jpg 

by Tracey Yardley and Evan Stanley

I get it. ouo

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I honestly thought the main story to #280 was outright bad. Aside from the bonding of Chip to other characters being handled so clumsily (I though seven issues max for bonding was short, but one page? That's just shoddy handling), nothing really happened aside from a near exact replica of the Unleashed scene of Chip realising his power. Axel isn't an interesting character so far (aside from contrasting him against other neutral Egg Bosses by having him more on the level with his troops), and there wasn't really any other material to get sunk into.

The second story, on the other hand, is a gem. Sally and Rotor's contrast in viewpoint is on full display here (while it was just glimpsed in Tides of Change), and we actually see how the two can come to odds with each other as well as how they support each other. Sally also gets multiple facets of "leader who's best at diplomacy" by showing it in a sensitive context and a wheeler dealer context, which will help flesh out her character in the long run. Also, Lucia's story about getting her mother's party ready has a point; not only does it contrast small things against the big picture, Sally's invested because she didn't know her mother too well (we see her mother sort of shadowed/coloured blocked so it's vague), while Rotor realises the greater good isn't always going to be the focus as we're shown his mother too (she's hooked to an IV in bed while he's a kid and crying. Pretty sure it's suggesting that she kicked the bucket due to illness). Also Honey appears. And the question bit suggests that the valentines variant will still be used as Vince's answer to Lah appearing is that she won't in the story, but she does make a cameo on the next issue's variant. 

So yeah, very much a mixed bag for me. Now, next issues sees the return of Dulcy, so let's hope she can stoke my fires a bit more. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I read #280. My (not so positive) thoughts in the spoiler below.

I'm really sorry to say this, but this "adaptation" failed in what is probably the most important aspect of Unleashed; Chip. I don't even like the guy as much as other do, but there's no denying that his relationship with the main characters (Sonic in the game, Knuckles, Sonic, Bunnie, Mr. Bunnie and the other guys in the comic) is supposed to be essential to the story. Here, though? The poor guy was relegated to the background,  only to comment on stuff every now and then, and in this issue BAM one page with flashbacks to things WE HAVEN'T SEEN, and the reader is supposed to consider Chip a buddy of the FF on the same level as Walrus Guy, Princess Squirrel, Bunnie and her husband. You could argue that Unleashed didn't a good job on the relationship thing either, but here we're talking about a comic, a medium which should have built on that chemistry better than the game ever could, and instead failed miserably. 

Colour me intrigued on that "Chaos Titans" bit, though.

The second story is what really sells this issue. A little gem built on the differences between Sally and Rotor. And with a cameo from Honey, to boot! We get a few background elements for the new incarnation of the FF, like Rotor's mom being probably dead by now, and Sally not remembering hers, which is a big difference from the old universe.  

Good Jennifer Hernandez keeps on being awesome with her drawing skill.

So, all in all, this issue is a mixed bag for me. The second story keeps it from being awfully rushed and just awful in general, but I expected more from Mr. Flynn.

Oh, and a nice little cameo in the main story of something I wish would come back.

yw8XitC.png

Please come back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Even ignoring Chip, the I-predict-to-be-infamous-in-the-future "Chip has bonded with everyone!" page just further underlines the toll the format takes on these characters- not only did we never see Chip get to have those moments of bonding, we never got to see those kinds of moments at all! I want space in the comic for Antoine to cook, for Sally and Nicole to read and compare books, etc.!

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought, given the time they've had to work with, and the fact that Chip has known what he is from the start, the main story was fine for what it was.

This is just how it breaks down, given all the book has to do - and yes, it HAS to do this to make up for lost time and replace two decades of world building and rogues gallery - so obviously there are some things that they just have to handle this way.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Ducktor Naldush Repulsa said:

Oh, and a nice little cameo in the main story of something I wish would come back.

Hide contents

yw8XitC.png

Please come back. 

I don't get it.

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I don't get it.

I believe its a reference to her old, pre-reboot attire?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, RobotnikHolmes said:

I believe its a reference to her old, pre-reboot attire?

"Her"?

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

"Her"?

I thinking Bunnie, right? She had a hat similar to that in pre-reboot Archieverse.

You know, I really didn't liked first issues of the Reboot, but I kept positive. "Flynn needs time, he planned 50 issues ahead and need to rethink everything." I thought. And slowly comic got better, with "Championship" being down right great. So why 5th issue in a row we have a boring punch-up with Eggman lackeys? I know that epic finale is coming, but that's still few months to go.

Okay, everyone putted their thought in spoilers, so will I

Spoiler

First story: Action is bland, but it's clearly a background for "feels" about Chip. I actually do like his splash page (even if Nicole had similar), but like people said, it underlines how little real interaction he had.

Meeting with First Spark gives me mixed signals. On the one hand: this wasn't in the game, Does that mean that Flynn was allowed to expand on things like that? Cool, maybe one day he will tell us more about the Zeeti. On the other: Ignoring what I just wrote, that scene isn't very interesting, just some cryptic talk.

Second story is cute. Nothing spectacular, but it's nice to have some laid back interaction, seeing Honey again and the art is pretty good, Hernandez is growing in my eyes.

Oh, and one last thing: Only I thought that Peppers art was kind bland today? I liked his Shadow Falls or Scrambled, but here? Adam B. Thomas isn't my favorites artist (That would be Butler, Skelly and Yardley), but look at first page of last 4 issues. They are so dynamic, when 280 first page is...  just there.

12 hours ago, The KKM said:

That's Sage, a fancharacter from a discussion group ABT tends to post in and take requests from.

I should totally join there and request my totally awesome fan characters to be drawn.

So uh Sonic 280! Heh heh....I see it's out now.......