Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I don't get it.

Sorry, mate. It was a joke based on the fact that, while I love Bunnie redesign, I still miss the cowgirl hat.

I just see that picture and can only see Silver Sonic going around the dragon like a roller derby. 

• Thumbs Up 1

*Reads spoilers*

Wait, are you guys serious?

Just one page of bonding?

And here I was thinking this would be the one to develop things more with the cast. I don't know how much of that is to blame on the writing or how much Worlds Unite screwed things up with the pacing, because I wouldn't have seen that coming. And I was one telling folks to wait.

I'll check it out for myself when I get a chance.

Also...

17 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

neph_sketch_by_adambrycethomas-d9yuokk.j

Uh...someone must've read my old *snicker* post on Nephthys's age, didn't they?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, kirby1up said:

seems like silver metal sonic vs big the cat round 2 will be coming up 

It seems like Silver Sonic wasn't a big fan of "Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3" (try saying that 3 times fast)...he desperately wants his money back. :D

I look forward to seeing Dulcy and her group of Freedom Fighters, as well as more Conquering Storm too!

• Thumbs Up 5

Side note to add additional complaining about things

can they please get another colourist

there issues have been looking washed out and drab-bish

• Thumbs Up 5

Cassata isn't very good at all, I agree. I'm not sure why they decided to restrict Herms to Universe a while ago, nor why Terry Austin's inks have gotten so sketchy. Feels like even though we've got awesome artists like Evan, Skelly, Adam, and Hesse, they've been sacrificed to worse colors and inking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I definitely dislike Cassata's colors. Sorry Gabriel but I hate your coloring, it's just so dull and bland looking that the looks of the current main comics don't appeal to me the same way the past issues and Universe does.

It doesn't even have to be Herms, it be anyone else honestly. I personally want Steve Downer back as the colorist (SU 55-58, STH 256-259), his coloring was a little pale and had a different tone to it but I really loved since it was still (only slighty )vivid and vivid colors obviously fit Sonic.

Will agree with me on account of the fact that Sally is more worthy to be the protagonist of the comic rather than Sonic? And that her name was on the cover. Better dead Sonic and Sally all instead resolves, and comic book was called "Sally Acorn: The Princess of Freedom".

It is worth noting that more interesting to Sal - is that given the fact that part of her mother died with the old world, she is at heart sincerely wishes to Eggman cruel death. But she did not allow two things - her status and political not touching for Egg.

Once again I'm the only one that likes an artistic choice on this book. I like Cassata's darker palette myself.  

51 minutes ago, Mecha X said:

Will agree with me on account of the fact that Sally is more worthy to be the protagonist of the comic rather than Sonic? And that her name was on the cover. Better dead Sonic and Sally all instead resolves, and comic book was called "Sally Acorn: The Princess of Freedom".

It is worth noting that more interesting to Sal - is that given the fact that part of her mother died with the old world, she is at heart sincerely wishes to Eggman cruel death. But she did not allow two things - her status and political not touching for Egg.

I don't think that'd sell very well, given her mini-series. (Granted, that was a Penders story, but still)

The reason people bought the comic back in the 90s was because it was about Sonic. The reason is the same nowadays, it just happens to also be good. If it were branded as Sally, that would only hurt it, the same as if it were branded as Tails or Shadow.

36 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Once again I'm the only one that likes an artistic choice on this book. I like Cassata's darker palette myself.  

It's not even darker, really. Just so void and emotionless. The basic colors are all okay, but the shading is the problem. The lighter tones aren't lighter, they're just a different color. The darker tones share the same problem. When Cassata shades Knux, he has purple for the darker areas and magenta for the lighter ones. I'd pass this off as trying to give off a trippy cell-shaded aesthetic, which I could stand (see: my deep love for JoJo) but that would only be true if things actually changed based on situation. Cassata colors everything like there's the same light source, no matter where or when the comics are taking place. So everything looks bright even though it's nighttime, and the day shots look less impressive by comparison. It just makes everything flat and boring. This was also an issue I had with Jason Jensen back in the day, but he at least had some gradient light-dark transitions on his colors.

1 minute ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

It's not even darker, really. Just so void and emotionless. The basic colors are all okay, but the shading is the problem. The lighter tones aren't lighter, they're just a different color. The darker tones share the same problem. When Cassata shades Knux, he has purple for the darker areas and magenta for the lighter ones. I'd pass this off as trying to give off a trippy cell-shaded aesthetic, which I could stand (see: my deep love for JoJo) but that would only be true if things actually changed based on situation. Cassata colors everything like there's the same light source, no matter where or when the comics are taking place. So everything looks bright even though it's nighttime, and the day shots look less impressive by comparison. It just makes everything flat and boring. This was also an issue I had with Jason Jensen back in the day, but he at least had some gradient light-dark transitions on his colors.

I don't know I guess I just don't have an artists eye or whatever but I really don't see these problems. I didn't see them with Jenson either honestly. The only colorist I've ever had a problem with is Josh Ray and that was largely because of how he'd color everything in the background even if they even a couple feet away purple. Also his colors were more what I'd call dull than Cassata or Luis Delgado's.

1 hour ago, DarkLight said:

Yeah, let's kill off the main character and popular mascot of a video game-based comic and give it over to one that anyone outside the US barely knows or cares for. Nevermind Sega giving it one big, "FUCK no!"

Not even Penders could be that daft.

I hope.

And than you think Sonic is still worthy of being the protagonist of the comic book, if he after the death of the old world did not get dramatic and/or proper development. In addition to the title of the mascot of the corporation.

28 minutes ago, Mecha X said:

And than you think Sonic is still worthy of being the protagonist of the comic book, if he after the death of the old world did not get dramatic and/or proper development. In addition to the title of the mascot of the corporation.

What Dramatic and Proper Development did he have in the old continuity? He found his Parents, Went to School Got Engaged, Called it off, Cried about it. I guess when he got angry at Silver was pretty good but Sonic isn't a very complex character and I say that as a good thing.

Sonic is an adventurer he does what's right and will kick whatever evil butt is standing in his way. People keep calling for development but Sonic's development was done after Sonic The Hedgehog 1. He's the high spirited snarky defender of the people of *Insert Planet Name here* He doesn't need any complex backstory. Where'd he come fro? Who knows he was just running one day and say some jerk putting Animals into robots and he wasn't going to stand for it.

That is why I like Sonic as a character so much. He's a Hobo with Super speed that wants to help out. And before anyone goes "Not in Archie He's not" They said pretty clearly in Control that he arrived in Knothole to help. The freedom Fighters don't tie him down he's helping them because it's the best way to fight Eggman.

Sorry I got a little ranty there at the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Mecha X said:

That doesn't prove that Sonic's not a worthy protagonist. That proves that Ian's handling of the matter created a missed opportunity. And, actually, now that I think about it it's not like Sonic didn't entirely not give a shit about what happened to the old world. I mean, shit, that's pretty much what his character arc (yes, he had one) up until about #260 was about. The problem is, is that like with the old universe, Ian got sidetracked chasing after shinies and forgot about it.

2 hours ago, Mecha X said:

Can I just point out how grammatically terrible this sentence is, because I could barely understand it tbh

• Thumbs Up 6

Okay, so I've read the first part of 280.

My thoughts?

Well, as someone who loves this adaptation, this was completely unexpected, and for once not in a good way. What I was expecting was for Tails and Chip to have their moment here, but that doesn't seem to be entirely the case.

I feel those criticizing the failure of Chip's bonding moments are half-right on this one. Half right because, while rushed, Chip's has and still is bonding with other characters - he's bonding with Tails in this one. However, the page where it shows "Chip bonds with everyone" just emphasizes that it would have been better off just leaving it as a Tails and Chip moment instead. Seriously, I'm picturing it in my head and they could have dropped that page entirely to fill it with something more about those two.

In addition to that, this shows that they're trying to rush to the end of things. I recall pointing this out after the introduction of Egg Boss Tundra, and again in the previous issue when we were introduced to Egg Boss Nephthys when Ian missed a moment to add some moral grey that jusitified and cemented Nephthys logic of siding with Eggman. I'm not entirely sure what to blame for this one, because part of me wants to pin all of this on the Worlds Unite crossover for interrupting the pacing while the other part wants to know whether they could have extended the number of issues to tell a fuller story and chose to just get over with things.

So yeah, I'm not gonna defend everything about this one. Ian definitely missed the ball this time around. I'm hoping that doesn't happen too often with later issues, because this made the rushing very glaring.

Am I the only one who thinks people should focus on the good points of the comic too instead of, I dunno, Sonic's fur being too bright?

• Thumbs Up 4

Not when the current conversation is specifically about the colouring of it. I mean, you can add things you like about it sure, or maybe just talk about whatever takes your fancy comic-wise.