Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Fair enough. I'm still going to find the art going on, overall and in a general sense where I'd be waving my arms now were we talking IRL, "crap". :V. It's not like I want the comic to disappoint me, it just keeps either having low quality elements I can't enjoy much or high quality elements that are not what I want.

Well honestly man if you hate it so much why are you still bothering with it? I mean all you ever seem to talk about is how much you hate the current (and past and maybe even future) direction of the book.

Because it does have occasional good things, which I mention when they happen :V That's just not going to stop me from also mentioning negative things that remark me as notable enough to be remarked on, such as the mangling of Chip's arc, or (and perhaps more unforgiving from me), art problems. Seriously, give me Ian doing repetitive superhero shlock with only drab SatAM settings and elements but get Skelly and Herms and Hesse doing the art side, and I'll enjoy it enough to read it all :V

also I keep hoping against hope the future direction'll be better, and I actually like a lot of the comic's past stuff (and lament how much it's lost some of it- I really wish we could have the spirit of the first minisseries return a bit), so dunno where you got that "past present future" twist from

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That's your propagative then. Personally outside of maybe Austin's Inks, which I think are getting better, I honestly think the books art is at it's best. And when it comes to writing I genuinely love what's been done with the post-reboot world. Yeah it'd have been nice to see Chip have more interaction with the Freedom Fighters instead of just saying he's their best friend but I think over all this storyline has introduced a lot of cool concepts that I personally can't wait to see developed even further.

Maybe I'm naive but dang it I'm just enjoying the comics as they are because they're fun. I keep saying it feels like people take the franchise too seriously and what I mean by that is it seems like people can't just stop and have a little fun everything needs to be 100% like the games or they need to stop making jokes that some people don't find funny or everything sucks no matter what they do.

It just seems like this fanbase is so desperate for disappointment they'll make every possible leap to find it. 

I'll stop complaining when issue stop starting with Sonic fighting low level Eggman troops (I heard there will be Silver Sonic next issue. Maybe this time he will live more then 2 pages).

Let's not fall to the extremes. There are stories I liked in Reboot (Championship, Hidden Costs and Knuckles Vs Protoman, most of SU and 4 parter with Mighty and Werehog), but most of the time I have complains (sometimes more, sometimes less, and it's not because I enjoy hating myself, but because I believe that Flynn can do better than that.

If I remember correctly from the old universe:

Sally's parents were still alive.

Bunnie's parents died in the war (and were traitors).

Antoine's mother died of an illness and his father was poisoned by Patch.

Rotor's mother was still alive while his father died in the Robotnik War.

Nicole comes from an alternate future.

Maybe it was less in your face pre-reboot because we didn't really see them dead that much? Sherman was in a flashback about the war, Armand was actually alive in the comic for a long time, and the only time we saw (what we think were) Bunnie's parents was in another flashback to them actively conspiring. The only one treated like a dead character was Antoine's mother.

By contrast, post-reboot, we've seen Antoine react to the news of his parents' death,

Rotor's mother was clearly dying and Sally's mother is drawn more like a ghost than a vivid memory of a person.

The only ones up in the air are Bunnie's parents.

On the subject of comics, it seems like they're going back to being released twice a month, one of the main comics and one of Sonic Universe.

(Going by Ian Flynn's Bumblekalendar, at least)

I can only hope they stop rushing the writing. The first half of the latest issue just made it glaring and soured Ian's high record for the moment. Really don't want that happening for the later issues.

3 hours ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

I can only hope they stop rushing the writing. The first half of the latest issue just made it glaring and soured Ian's high record for the moment. Really don't want that happening for the later issues.

Yeah. The second story had a much nicer pace despite only being half an issue long.

I've been reading the comics ever since the start - it's been over more than ten years since I had the chance to read them again - and I just learned that Sonic's middlename is Maurice. In the comics, anyway.

Well...ain't that something. 

4 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I've been reading the comics ever since the start - it's been over more than ten years since I had the chance to read them again - and I just learned that Sonic's middlename is Maurice. In the comics, anyway.

It also ain't comic canon, nothing before #252 is anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I can tell you that in your break off the comics, you have since missed a reboot where all those weird-ass things like Sonic's middle name have been dropped.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, goku262002 said:

Just now, RobotnikHolmes said:

I can tell you that in your break off the comics, you have since missed a reboot where all those weird-ass things like Sonic's middle name have been dropped.

Hm. Well, I'm still on issue 50, so I guess it might take a while for me to find out. >_>

Despite what people here are saying, the comics have gotten a fuckton better since the reboot. What happened with this issue is more of an outlier than anything really.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm kind of hoping the "Panic in the Sky" storyline will fix most of these pacing issues, since I don't think the solicits have suggested those issues will be quite as split up as the current run from #276-onward (though the issues set in Shamar were generally better since they were a two-parter, something most of these stories following the crossover should've been). Unfortunately, we're probably going to be putting up with it a little while longer.

31 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

Actually, it stopped being canon in the original timeline too, going by Flynn's bio for Sonic saying that Sonic had his name legally changed at some point.

42 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm kind of hoping the "Panic in the Sky" storyline will fix most of these pacing issues, since I don't think the solicits have suggested those issues will be quite as split up as the current run from #276-onward (though the issues set in Shamar were generally better since they were a two-parter, something most of these stories following the crossover should've been). Unfortunately, we're probably going to be putting up with it a little while longer.

Actually, it stopped being canon in the original timeline too, going by Flynn's bio for Sonic saying that Sonic had his name legally changed at some point.

I thought Sonic only legally changed his first name?

And even so, just because he changed it didn't make it any less canon.

23 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I thought Sonic only legally changed his first name?

And even so, just because he changed it didn't make it any less canon.

The bio in Sonic Sagas vol. 1 says that he was named after his grandfathers, but later had his name changed legally to Sonic with no offense to his forebears. That'd suggest, to me anyway, that he changed his whole name to Sonic the Hedgehog rather than "Sonic Maurice Hedgehog."

And, fair point.

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

The bio in Sonic Sagas vol. 1 says that he was named after his grandfathers, but later had his name changed legally to Sonic with no offense to his forebears. That'd suggest, to me anyway, that he changed his whole name to Sonic the Hedgehog rather than "Sonic Maurice Hedgehog."

And, fair point.

Wasn't it "Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog," with Sonic as a nickname?

Which is funny, since SEGA of America actually referred to him "Sonic The Hedgehog" with a capital "T" for his middle name.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, as Zaysho just mentioned, he legally changed name to Sonic the Hedgehog.

This pre-252, of course.

No, as Zaysho just mentioned, he legally changed name to Sonic the Hedgehog.

This pre-252, of course.

Right, I mean before good sense kicked in. It wasn't "Sonic Maurice Hedgehog" as described, but "Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog" with Sonic as a nickname before Ian Flynn came in and had it legally changed on account of "screw that."

• Thumbs Up 3

That name is still canon, just in the Preboot Universe.

Also, I noticed something strange about the comic. I try to know as little as possible about upcoming stories, but I heard that Knuckles will have back up story soon, just before his Sonic Universe arc. Similar thing happened with Eggman getting back up hinting about Naugus Twins. And then there was reprint of Free Comic Book Day story for no reason. Unless...is Archie trying to promote SU in the main book lately? I mean, there always were some winks, but mostly for continuity sakes. Now we're getting whole back up stories screaming "BUY SECOND BOOK". It's not a big deal, but still...

12 hours ago, Stardust said:

Hm. Well, I'm still on issue 50, so I guess it might take a while for me to find out. >_>

Did you read all the special & miniseries? I remember that reading first special had to be done in very specific order to read "Knuckles Vs Archimedes" chronologically.

14 hours ago, Stardust said:

Brother, I could tell you long spiraling tales of what happens next in later issues. But really, if you skip to #160, where Ian Flynn starts writing, and Tracy Yardley! does the penciling, I think you'll find a much better, more engaging story than where you are now.

Because if my analysis on the early comics show are anything to go by, little to nothing really happens on the long run between #50 and #150 or so. Those issues focus more on love triangles and Penders' sci-fi world of dullness than actual good writing.

EDIT UPDATE: Removed spoilers

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That name is still canon, just in the Preboot Universe.

I... didn't say it wasn't?