Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Scott Shaw!, the original Sonic artist who drew issues 0, 1, and 2 of the Sonic comic waaaaay back in 1993, is gonna be a guest at Sonic Revolution this year.

It'll be interesting to see him interacting with fans. Always loved the way he drew classic Sonic in the comics. Wonder how he'd handle modern Sonic. At least one of y'all better commission a sketch from him, y'hear?

That's strange, wasn't he one of the people who claimed their work copyrights around the same time as Penders?

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

That name is still canon, just in the Preboot Universe.

Also, I noticed something strange about the comic. I try to know as little as possible about upcoming stories, but I heard that Knuckles will have back up story soon, just before his Sonic Universe arc. Similar thing happened with Eggman getting back up hinting about Naugus Twins. And then there was reprint of Free Comic Book Day story for no reason. Unless...is Archie trying to promote SU in the main book lately? I mean, there always were some winks, but mostly for continuity sakes. Now we're getting whole back up stories screaming "BUY SECOND BOOK". It's not a big deal, but still...

Did you read all the special & miniseries? I remember that reading first special had to be done in very specific order to read "Knuckles Vs Archimedes" chronologically.

I want to read them, too. But for now, I'm sticking to the main comics, so I can understand the main story and characters. There are so many of them I've gotta be careful not to get lost!

That's the problem; many of the characters and plot you'll need to know going forward have a lot of their story told in the side books. For example, if you want to know why Valdez disappeared from the Royal Acorn Secret Service entirely after a certain point, you'll need to read the Girl Power special and Knuckles #30-32 because the main book doesn't say jack on it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

Brother, I could tell you long spiraling tales of what happens next in later issues. But really, if you skip to #160, where Ian Flynn starts writing, and Tracy Yardley! does the penciling, I think you'll find a much better, more engaging story than where you are now.

Because if my analysis on the early comics show are anything to go by, little to nothing really happens on the long run between #50 and #150 or so. Those issues focus more on love triangles and Penders' sci-fi world of dullness than actual good writing.

EDIT UPDATE: Removed spoilers

Yeah, I went to check out issue 90 and was like WUT. Sonic was drawn so weirdly! The traces looked like they were done by someone who had just begun to learn how to draw. >_<"

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Yeah, I went to check out issue 90 and was like WUT. Sonic was drawn so weirdly! The traces looked like they were done by someone who had just begun to learn how to draw. >_<"

Holy fug, you're right! That's Ron Lim for you.. XP He literally stops being on the comic the same issue Penders and Bollers leave the writing.

22 minutes ago, RobotnikHolmes said:

Holy fug, you're right! That's Ron Lim for you.. XP He literally stops being on the comic the same issue Penders and Bollers leave the writing.

Issue 90 was James Fry, who's still on the book to this day.

Weird how back then he was the best artist on the comic, but now that the art team has improved so much, he's somewhat lackluster in comparison.

Also, half of issue 90 was Ron Lim too, so there's that

Yeah, Around 100 issues Sonic had the ugliest art. Guest artists, Lim, even Fry not always looked good (I liked Axer and Butler though)

On 4/18/2016 at 12:21 AM, Stardust said:

I want to read them, too. But for now, I'm sticking to the main comics, so I can understand the main story and characters. There are so many of them I've gotta be careful not to get lost!

Yeeah, that's not gonna cut it. I mean you already meet Geoffrey (skunk) and he first appeared in Sally miniseries. Or you read issue 39 and didn't know why everything is solved in issue 40.

If you're still on issue 50,then read Super Special 6, it's "Endgame" remake. Then you should read now (in that order): 

Sonic 0-3 minieries (although this one don't have any important events. Heck, it contradicts future events.)

Sonic in Your face special/ Sally 1-3 / Sonic & Knuckles special/ Sonic Triple Trouble special/ Tails 1-3/ Knuckles Chaotix/ Super Sonic Vs Hyper Knuckles/ you might want to repeat Knuckles stories from issues 31-36/ Knuckles 1-3 (miniseries, not the main book)/ Mecha Madness (continuation of events in issue 39)/ Sonic Quest 1-3/ Sonic Live / Sonic Blast/ Sonic Super Special 1

And now you can continue reading main book, BUT:

Knuckles 1-6 (main book) and Super Special 2 must be read before issue 53

Knuckles 7-9 before Sonic 56

Super Special 2 before issue 57. Then read Knuckles 10-11, Sonic 58, Knuckles 12, it was crossover)

Then keep going with the main book until you read issue 75. It's a perfect moment to stop and finish Knuckles book 13-32 and super special 5-12. Super Special 10 continues story from "Sabrina the Teenage Witch 28", but it's not a huge loos if you can't get it.

Then Sonic Adventure adaptation : Read Sonic 76-82, then super special 13, and issue 83-84.

And last station: read last two super special 14-15 right before 88. Congratulations, you finished the pain that is read Sonic in order. At least until you get to Flynn, but that's enough headache for know. If you have any questions, call me anytime.

Here's a podcast where Adam Bryce Thomas is the special guest! The interview with him begins at 21:35 :)

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, it's been a long time since I gave my thoughts on Archie Sonic.

Well I won't give my thoughts on Eggman's Dozen just yet, when all 4 issues are out of it then I'll give my 2 rings.

So Issue 280, it was alright.

For the Keys to Victory story, a lot of people here seem to find it pretty bad but when I read it, I was confused since it was pretty alright, though not very great. I mean, the story is pretty basic, Sonic, Tails and Chip go to Mazuri and get the Gaia Key. Sonic distracts Axel and his crew while Tails and Chip sneak into Axel's base and get the key, also Chip regains his memories. Nothing else to it besides that.

For the second story, A Special Occasion, it was better. Same premise, Sally and Rotor go to Spagonia and get the Gaia Keys but unlike Sonic, no Egg Bosses involved. I guess it helps that the main focus of the story is involving Sally and Rotor helping Lucia out preparing for her mother's birthday. It was also nice that part of the reason why Sally did so was because she never had the chance to see her mother and I'm guessing Rotor's mom passed away when he was young too, so it was kind of like remembering their moms in a way which was nice.

And that's kinda really it, it was enjoyable, nothing really stood out as bad to me, just nothing stellar is all. So I'm curious to see how Dulcy will be like in the next issue!

• Thumbs Up 4

7 hours ago, sansy said:

Wow, it's been a long time since I gave my thoughts on Archie Sonic.

Well I won't give my thoughts on Eggman's Dozen just yet, when all 4 issues are out of it then I'll give my 2 rings.

So Issue 280, it was alright.

For the Keys to Victory story, a lot of people here seem to find it pretty bad but when I read it, I was confused since it was pretty alright, though not very great. I mean, the story is pretty basic, Sonic, Tails and Chip go to Mazuri and get the Gaia Key. Sonic distracts Axel and his crew while Tails and Chip sneak into Axel's base and get the key, also Chip regains his memories. Nothing else to it besides that.

I wouldn't call it outright bad, but it is definitely rushed and that is a problem that was noticed in earlier issues. It would have been far better had they made scenes that highlighted Tails and Chip's moment instead of trying to squeeze in Chip bonding with the rest of the Freedom Fighters in one page, as that detail should have been left completely out if they weren't going to make use of such scenes.

In fact, that makes it more glaring when the second half managed to do a better job with practically the same amount of pages and pacing.

Now we've seen far worse from Ian, but that first half is rather hard to excuse.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

I wouldn't call it outright bad, but it is definitely rushed and that is a problem that was noticed in earlier issues. It would have been far better had they made scenes that highlighted Tails and Chip's moment instead of trying to squeeze in Chip bonding with the rest of the Freedom Fighters in one page, as that detail should have been left completely out if they weren't going to make use of such scenes.

In fact, that makes it more glaring when the second half managed to do a better job with practically the same amount of pages and pacing.

Now we've seen far worse from Ian, but that first half is rather hard to excuse.

Oh I'm not saying that those moments with Chip bonding with the Freedom Fighters felt shoehorned, it would've been better if we actually see Chip actually interacting with them but I get a feeling that Archie just want this Unleashed-inspired world adventure done quick so Flynn had to pick up the pace a bit.

Not the greatest thing I've read from Flynn but definitely not the worst either, I just found it pretty average. 

4 minutes ago, sansy said:

Oh I'm not saying that those moments with Chip bonding with the Freedom Fighters felt shoehorned, it would've been better if we actually see Chip actually interacting with them but I get a feeling that Archie just want this Unleashed-inspired world adventure done quick so Flynn had to pick up the pace a bit.

Not the greatest thing I've read from Flynn but definitely not the worst either, I just found it pretty average. 

I figured as much myself. I'd almost say they're risking a bit more harm than good wanting things done quickly so that Ian can get the full mileage out of things, but he has had moments where he dragged things out too much where things felt sluggish.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

I figured as much myself. I'd almost say they're risking a bit more harm than good wanting things done quickly so that Ian can get the full mileage out of things, but he has had moments where he dragged things out too much where things felt sluggish.

Well it's a balancing act, sometimes if you go too fast, some aspects feel underdeveloped and rushed, when you go too slow, it can lead to over-exposition and the pace goes at a snail's pace. It shows that while Ian Flynn is definitely one of the better writers to ever grace Sonic, he still has his mistakes.

I just got 279 and SU 83 and I enjoyed both issues. SU 83 especially since I've always been a sucker for the whole "This is your antagonist group" get togethers that most manga typically like to do. I will say that the Nagus thing threw me off a bit. I'm not too certain what exactly the deal with him and Wendy is now that everything's been rebooted but it doesn't impede on anything.

I'm hoping the story with the two sisters goes somewhere unpredictable. As of now I'm a bit neutral on it. 

I liked Chip's plan succeeding here too. I will say that despite liking the little scenes he gets it's really setting in how hard it is to make it seem like he's a crucial part of this situation when there's so many characters being focused on instead. One of the things I would have liked to have seen Unleashed do was to add more characters to the mix for sure but more in the same sense that Shadow the Hedgehog did, where they're there to accomplish their own mission objectives and we go to different countries to help them out while the focus remains squarely on Sonic and Chip (and Tails) so that we don't lose sight of the character focal point.

So far, this comic has a bit of the opposite problem for me. Chip kind of just feels like he's jumping from person to person without forming much connection to anyone or anything so I'm willing to bet I won't feel as sad seeing him have to go back to a sleep of eternal loneliness when he has to say goodbye to everyone. Then again, he may pull a Tikal and just have his spirit be around anyway. 

Maybe he can project himself a Chip-Hologram from that necklace he gives Sonic.

Yeah. That'd be cool.

I read it at SonicScanF, Thought it was good. Really enjoyed the 2nd story, thought it was Sally's Funniest to date. Also leaves the dor open for more background on Sally's NU252 Past.  The 1st story was good too. Loved the interactions with Chip and the Freedom fighters in those flashback panels. Also seems Bunnie's a bit of Country singer, perhaps that may get explored in the future.

Overall good first of four "Clam before the storm/Panic" issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

I found Rotor and Sally's story far more heartwarming then the force fed bonding Chip tried to serve us in the first story, and the girl character was a sweetheart. 

• Thumbs Up 3

21 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yeah, Around 100 issues Sonic had the ugliest art. Guest artists, Lim, even Fry not always looked good (I liked Axer and Butler though)

Yeeah, that's not gonna cut it. I mean you already mean Geoffrey (skunk) and he first appeared in Sally miniseries. Or you read issue 39 and didn't know why everything is solved in issue 40.

If you're on still  issue 50,then read Super Special 6, it's "Endgame" remake. Then you should read now (in that order): 

Sonic 0-3 minieries (although this one don't have any important events. Heck, it contradicts future events.)

Sonic in Your face special/ Sally 1-3 / Sonic & Knuckles special/ Sonic Triple Trouble special/ Tails 1-3/ Knuckles Chaotix/ Super Sonic Vs Hyper Knuckles/ you might want to repeat Knuckles stories from issues 31-36/ Knuckles 1-3 (miniseries, not the main book)/ Mecha Madness (continuation of events in issue 39)/ Sonic Quest 1-3/ Sonic Live / Sonic Blast/ Sonic Super Special 1

And now you can continue reading main book, BUT:

Knuckles 1-6 (main book) and Super Special 2 must read before issue 53

Knuckles 7-9 before Sonic 56

Super Special 2 before issue 57. Then read Knuckles 10-11, Sonic 58, Knuckles 12, it was crossover)

Then keep going with the main book until you read issue 75. It's a perfect moment to spot and  finish Knuckles book 13-32 and super special 5-12. Super Special 10 continues story from "Sabrina the Teenage Witch 28", but it's not a huge loos if you can't get it.

Then Sonic Adventure adaptation : Read Sonic 76-82, then super special 13, and issue 83-84.

And last station: read last two super special 14-15 right before 88. Congratulations, you finished the pain that is read Sonic in order. At least until you get to Flynn, but that's enough headache for know. If you have any questions, call me anytime.

That's quite the comprehensive list you've prepared! O____O" Thanks for being so helpful, man! Seriously, this is quite something!

I'll take it slow and calmly comb through the special issues as my reading of the main comics advances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, zwrozaz said:

Overall good first of four "Clam before the storm/Panic" issues.

I see what you did there...

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

That's quite the comprehensive list you've prepared! O____O" Thanks for being so helpful, man! Seriously, this is quite something!

I'll take it slow and calmly comb through the special issues as my reading of the main comics advances. 

No problem. I was worried I over did it you'll get scared by size of it =p

Archie just released their new solicits. I hate to say the Sonic ones are repeated again. Sonic Universe is still on Shattered: Part 2, while Sonic jumps back to PitS Part 1.

The only new(ish) addition is the Waves of Change graphic novel.