Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

13 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

Excuse me, anybody now when shatered world crisis is ending? Because I would like to start reading this series when a new saga will start. A number of issue would be nice.

It ends with Issue 287: Part 4 of the final chapter called "Panic in the Sky".

Here's the connecting covers:

Spoiler

STH_284-287_Panic_in_the_Sky.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Whatever, let's find something else to talk about...So how everyone feels about new Akluth?

I like his new design just fine, but now he's just a guy. Before we used to have a giant killer whale as Egg Boss, that was kinda cool.

Overall it ties to question whenever Reboot art direction is better then from Preboot. I guess I prefer it now, since it's more Sonic, but I did liked when Mobians had fur on the, not colorful plastic.

Akhlut in the Post-Reboot actually has more of an established personality than he did in the Pre-Reboot, IMO. I can almost imagine him with the voice of "Captain Gantu" from "Lilo and Stitch", and it's very cathartic.

I'm pretty sure Akhlut is more than "just a guy". Besides, he should still have his psychic powers, so it's not a total waste. Hell, he might even prove to be more dangerous and skilled than Silver himself. That's a pretty scary thought, if you ask me. Tundra's gonna have a hard time dealing with all of that in the next issue.

In terms of art quality: definitely the Post-Reboot for me. No questions asked. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think Akhlut has those psychic powers any more. If he did, wouldn't he use that to subdue the walruses instead of physically fighting when the walruses initiated the attack instead? Plus the cybernetics only cover the fin now, not the eyes, so it's not necessarily that everything just got moved over into an anthropomophic body.

Heck, Mordred had his powers changed after the reboot, and he literally did not change appearance.

19 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

I don't think Akhlut has those psychic powers any more. If he did, wouldn't he use that to subdue the walruses instead of physically fighting when the walruses initiated the attack instead? Plus the cybernetics only cover the fin now, not the eyes, so it's not necessarily that everything just got moved over into an anthropomophic body.

Heck, Mordred had his powers changed after the reboot, and he literally did not change appearance.

To be fair, we don't actually know what Akhlut is even capable of yet. After all, he just made his proper return in this arc. When we see him fight against Tundra, we'll know for sure if he has his psychic powers or not...

Ugh. Mordred might just be my least favorite Egg Boss because of that. Why the hell did they have to turn him into a weak coward now? I can't even take him seriously anymore. He was more of a legitimate threat back in the "Chaotix Quest" Universe arc. So much potential thrown right out of the window.

I imagine they gave him a cowardly personality to make up for the fact that he didn't have one at all pre-reboot.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, I don't know if we got to see enough of him at all to even understand what personality he was intended to have beyond "comically sadistic like a Monty Python sketch". I don't know if they altered anything at all, really- I'd imagine the plan was always to have him be a "why fight if I can avoid it" kind of guy, they just didn't quite get to show it before the reboot.

1 minute ago, Toby said:

I imagine they gave him a cowardly personality to make up for the fact that he didn't have one at all pre-reboot.

A cobra having a "cowardly" personality? That's one of the most hilariously absurd things I've ever heard of in my life.

Even Lyric from Sonic Boom was more threatening than him...

Well, obviously we haven't seen Akhlut do anything in the present, but what we've got of history doesn't seem like it gels with the old psychic power thing to me. That can change, but I'm going off what we have.

As for Mordred, his personality seemed to go like this; in his first appearance, he was sadistic, and definitely scared of what Eggman could do to him like the other Grandmasters, but it seemed very muted so he was more of a subtle villain (which makes sense for a manipulator sneaking his way to power). Unfortunately for him, he was drawn against the Chaotix (subtle doesn't work too well to co-star), so he was basically made angry and controlling for what little he appeared.

But in both cases? Not a fighter whatsoever. He shrinks away from Eggman even though he doesn't have any ulterior motive to hide (unlike Bill or Beauregarde), and even though he was out in the field later, he only ever attempted to subdue his enemies with his hypnosis powers, not by fighting. While it was effective, he still got beaten by a falling rock, and then later a crocodile's fist that he had zero defence against. To be honest, there's no reason to think he'd do any better against fiery teacups.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Well, obviously we haven't seen Akhlut do anything in the present, but what we've got of history doesn't seem like it gels with the old psychic power thing to me. That can change, but I'm going off what we have.

Fair enough.

10 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

But in both cases? Not a fighter whatsoever. He shrinks away from Eggman even though he doesn't have any ulterior motive to hide (unlike Bill or Beauregarde), and even though he was out in the field later, he only ever attempted to subdue his enemies with his hypnosis powers, not by fighting. While it was effective, he still got beaten by a falling rock, and then later a crocodile's fist that he had zero defence against. To be honest, there's no reason to think he'd do any better against fiery teacups.

Going by this logic, the Witchcarters could screw him over pretty badly...

Yeah, which is why his tactic was going to be "Stay back until the generator's down and the enemy is weakened". Conquering Storm, strength and honour nut she is, decided that taking them head-on at full strength would be a better idea, and I have a suspicion that Mordred will be proved right.

• Thumbs Up 4

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Whatever, let's find something else to talk about...So how everyone feels about new Akluth?

I like his new design just fine, but now he's just a guy. Before we used to have a giant killer whale as Egg Boss, that was kinda cool.

Overall it ties to question whenever Reboot art direction is better then from Preboot. I guess I prefer it now, since it's more Sonic, but I did liked when Mobians had fur on the, not colorful plastic.

Funny enough, I prefer his older design as a realistic orca in pre-reboot, yet I still like his new design. I preferred the realistic orca mainly to show how diverse Sonic's world was and that humans and mobians weren't the only thing that can be sentient, but his new design fares better because it allows him greater range of movement.

As for his character, let's just say that he totally deserved the bitchslap Tundra gave him.

• Thumbs Up 2

In the old universe, I always liked to imagine that Ahklut was the whale from SA1.

That's not too likely; a whale that's used to Arctic temperatures would be a bit worse off going to a hot, sunny coastline.

• Thumbs Up 2

Funny thing" I finally got my hands on Sonic Chronicles, got to through half of the game and then it hit me: Sally's blades are based on the ones Shade uses. Flynn probably realized that he will never get Shade into comic, so he might as well use her weapon for Sally (well, Mecha Sally first, but Flynn most likely already intended for her to keep them)

His ability to use old elements instead of making new never cease to amaze me. Did anyone else made that connection earlier?

1 hour ago, Detective Reptiles said:

That's not too likely; a whale that's used to Arctic temperatures would be a bit worse off going to a hot, sunny coastline.

True, but Sonic goes through tundras and desserts just fine, so why Akluth would have problems with temperatures.

In the end it doesn't matter, Preboot Sonic never fought any whales in Emerald Beach.

I... don't know if it's literally based on Shade's blades. Sally's blades are clearly just based on Mecha Sally's (and considering how the design clearly wasn't thought for the blades, indicates that Sally wasn't planned to have then even during the redesign process, so someone just looked at the Mecha Sally design and went "use that"), so the question becomes if Mecha Sally's are based on Shade, and I don't know. Maybe, maybe not.

Random note that I somehow missed when the arc initially came out; when Charmy remarks that the mines creep him out because they're dark and damp, Vector retorts that it reminds him of home. Given that Espio follows up with the office, Vector must be talking about his own original home. Doesn't sound like he's from Tralius (aka new Downunda) any more, sounds like a swampland of sorts.

• Thumbs Up 5

7 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Random note that I somehow missed when the arc initially came out; when Charmy remarks that the mines creep him out because they're dark and damp, Vector retorts that it reminds him of home. Given that Espio follows up with the office, Vector must be talking about his own original home. Doesn't sound like he's from Tralius (aka new Downunda) any more, sounds like a swampland of sorts.

I think it's just meant to be a joke about how gators/crocs stereotypically live in sewers.

• Thumbs Up 3

Wouldn't that be kinda screwed up in the context of Sonic's World, though? It wouldn't be a stereotype based on the urban legend of pets being flushed down the toilet, it'd be a stereotype based on an urban legend about anthropomorphic beings basically being pushed out of society and condemned to live in squalor.

Just read 84. I think we've discussed Eggman himself enough, so...

I'm curious about the history between Tundra and Akhlut. I hope to see more of that soon ideally in a Rotor solo arc or something

Seeing the blowfish thing from Lost World was nice, as was seeing the drill mobile from Sonic 2. Oh, and the Battle Kukku crushes a Dark Gaia monster with his hand. That was neat. I like Abyss, too.

Just curious: does anyone know why they've been doing double Off-Panels lately?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just read #84 too. I would like to read more of the history between Akluth & Tundra.. These team ups are great. Nice issue. :)

Wait I just got it, if Mordred is currently on the throne, that'd make him a King Cobra.

ayyyyyyyyyyyy

• Thumbs Up 9

On 5/2/2016 at 4:01 AM, Mister X said:

Just read 84. I think we've discussed Eggman himself enough, so...

I'm curious about the history between Tundra and Akhlut. I hope to see more of that soon ideally in a Rotor solo arc or something

Seeing the blowfish thing from Lost World was nice, as was seeing the drill mobile from Sonic 2. Oh, and the Battle Kukku crushes a Dark Gaia monster with his hand. That was neat. I like Abyss, too.

Just curious: does anyone know why they've been doing double Off-Panels lately?

Maybe as compensation for the delays? 

14 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Wait I just got it, if Mordred is currently on the throne, that'd make him a King Cobra.

ayyyyyyyyyyyy

"facepalm" You couldn't figure that out before? That "joke" was made obvious during the Pre-Reboot when he was first introduced.

"ahem" In all seriousness though, I do hope Mordred will eventually do something against Bow Sparrow...whenever his time comes, of course.

My question is this: What are the Six Noble Houses & why are the D'Coolettes considered a "lesser family"?