Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

It was in Heroes too, you just never saw it from the outside. Also all the CG in that game was hideous so maybe we've all repressed the memory

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the building was the same in Heroes, probably wasn't defined until they designed one for Sonic X 

Oh, yeah, came here for a different reason; checked the September figures, both the main comic and Universe went down again in direct market sales. In fact the main comic fell below 6k proper for the first time in...a long time, as far as I know. 

7 hours ago, sonicfoamyfan9805 said:

I am having conflicting feelings about seeing the chaotix house from x agian...

I can't imagine why anyone would. It's just a house. And I love the idea of that being their official digs. 

Vector put a lot of work into their Agency having consistent marketability. That's very important for customers. 

Although, People would most likely mistake it for just a nice cozy home the three of them lived in. Reminds me of this comic I saw once about Vanilla mistaking Vector and Espio for a couple.

Ah. Here it is.

Espio_isn_t_straight.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Well Sega does burrow from other media on occasion, I mean as far as I known, Sonic's love for Chili-Dogs comes from the Western Cartoon series, don't recall it being made official in Sega canon till Black Knight.

14 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Well Sega does burrow from other media on occasion, I mean as far as I known, Sonic's love for Chili-Dogs comes from the Western Cartoon series, don't recall it being made official in Sega canon till Black Knight.

Sonic Unleashed is what actually did it, but it was subtle, merely just a reference on the chili dog food item saying it was "Sonic's favorite food." Black Knight and Sonic Generations then officially showed him actually eating chili dogs.

Granted, there is also bonus "Hot Dog Vendor" missions in Sonic Unleashed as well. (All of these are only in the PS360 versions, though. Sonic Unwiished doesn't have these extras.)

Well, there's possibly two more issues of Mega Drive to come. A Amazon listing for a Mega Drive GN has it listed as having 112 pages, which is around 4 issues.

• Thumbs Up 4

56 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

Well, there's possibly two more issues of Mega Drive to come. A Amazon listing for a Mega Drive GN has it listed as having 112 pages, which is around 4 issues.

I'm suddenly getting really hyped for next batch of cover next month.  Getting the Next Level was already a cherry on the cake, so possibly seeing a part 3, or even 4 happen would be the best kind of fan service.

Judging from how insanely well-recieved Mega Drive has been thus far (so much so that the first issue was the first-ever second printing in Sonic comic history), I'm sure we'll be seeing at least four issues of it.

Ian said there's lots of secret Sonic stuff coming down the pike, so maybe that's part of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

I just hope next issues are actual sequels, not that story will be stretched out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget Next Level is a 48-pager. If there are anymore Mega Drive's, there'll only be room for at least one more in that graphic novel.

4 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Don't forget Next Level is a 48-pager. If there are anymore Mega Drive's, they'll only be room for at least one more in that graphic novel.

Depends if any other issues are 48 pagers. There's still 48 pages or so without extras to cover so it could be another 48 pager, or two normal issues.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:03 PM, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

I'm assuming that since Flynn's said Megadrive is at least 3 issues that they'll probably pad the trade out with Sonic Comic Origins or something. Or maybe there's just that much production art.

I really hope they do more Breezie  X MS in the future.but loving the retro covers but mega drives the best branch office in a long time

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, LargoDELLZ said:

http://emecomics.tumblr.com/

IMG_5950.PNG

Was browsing through Tumblr and saw that Eric Esquivel (The guy that did a couple of off-panles for STH and SU) will be doing the off panels for the "Genesis of a Hero" arc and they will all be based off Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car.

See, now that Tweet is funny. Why can't Eric be funny in his Off-Panel strips?

I also thought for a second that the next Sonic story would be based on Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car. Which would be a hilariously weird lead-in to #300.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody else have Next Level come in today?

Spoiler

The Final Part of Mega Drive is called Overdrive and it comes out Spring 2017, which is when Mania comes out. I'd share a picture of the proposed cover but I don't know how.

• Thumbs Up 5

I wouldn't imagine so since it's not due out until November.

Whoops for them then. 

Also recommended way of putting images up is through uploading them onto Imgur. 

Spoiler

http://imgur.com/gallery/2YrS0jh

Here's the cover for Overdrive. As for some Next Level Spoilers, they'll be in the next tab.

Spoiler

So Next Level begins right in the heat of things, in Glitter Peak Zone. Being chased by a giant snowflake orbinaut. Sonic taunts the thing only for the others to take it down. After some jokes they move on running into a Frozen referencing Eggman. Once again while Sonic stops to taunt the others take care of the bot. As Eggman flies off dropping another Ancient Gear Sonic looks disapointed. In Haunted Depths Zone Sonic decides after a chance line from Knuckles that they should all split up. Sonic is happy to be able to go at his own pace and not have to share the glory, thinking that the others could handle themselves. Meanwhile the others are fighting a dragon glow worm type super badnik which takes 2 pages to defeat. There is a tremor below and it is revealed that Sonic is facing Eggman in a double drill tank. However it hits a rock that is too hard and gets destroyed leaving Sonic with the next ancient gear, and alone in the dark with no one to see how awesome he was. He heads to the next zone as the others prepare to head out. In Eruption Ruin Zone Sonic runs into a problem, there's a lava river in front of him and the way forward is too high, after a quick Lost World Shout out and wondering about the others, the others show up. Sonic vows that they'll stick together from there on, and they all team up to get up the wall. After getting through the zone they are sealed in a hot room with a statue that opens it's mouth and starts filling the room with Lava. The team breaks it open, revealing Eggman, who hot foots it into another Lava Pool to reveal the boss mech. Sonic and Knuckles make short work of it while Amy and Tails try to cool off. Retrieving the sixth Gear Sonic holds it triumphantly before a blue streak knocks Knuckles to the ground. Metal Sonic appears, punching Tails and stealing the other five gears and Amy. After making sure eveyone is OK the three remaining friends use Tails smarts to figure out that Eggman has a flying base nearby and prepare to attack to get Amy back. They approach the flying Egg Carton and Sonic and Knuckles proceed to take out Badniks left and right in an awesome sequence. Once inside they are confronted by Metal and Eggman on a monitor. Eggman demands the Last Ancient Gear (The one from the last boss) promising he'll let Amy go. The trio remember there are seven Ancient Gears and think that they're playing Eggman for a chump, handing it over. After giving it to Metal and Metal giving it to a hand that comes out of the floor it's revealed that Metal has the seventh gear inside of him. They fight a bit, before a group attack breaks the mechanism that spins the gear leaving Metal no choice but to retreat. Sonic Saves Amy, and the group finds that Eggmans base is actually beneath the sea. Deciding that the Chaos Emeralds could turn the tides they prepare to head back and find the seven chaos emeralds, to stop Eggmans evil plan. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Just read the first story of the Chaotix detective arc!

Spoiler

Honestly its a rather good start. XP The Chaotix and Echo's banter got a chuckle out of me on more than on occasion, and the pirates at the end certainly have interesting designs. Really looking forward to seeing how it goes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

Okay, that Overdrive cover is GLORIOUS.

Also what BOTH issues are out early?! I know some people get one early, I wasn't expecting both to come though.

So I just read Issue 287 - Panic in the Sky Part 4 or 4 and man oh man was it... mixed for me.

I suppose ending the way it did was inevitable considering the pace that the Unleashed adaption was going at. What I mean by that is that for some reason, to me at least, it would feel like we'd go on end with things that vaguely connected to the game hardly being focused on before moving back to something that seemed as though it should come off a bit more important then it ultimately feels but at the end of the day it just ended up being another monster that Archie can draw very underwhelming fight choreography for during the matter of disposing of it.

The battle with the Dark Guardian, the Dark Gaia Phoenix, and even the normal Big Dark Gaia thing with the large wooden bat were all things that felt like they were added to the proceedings to fill a quota of some sort. Perhaps to simply say that this was indeed supposed to be the Unleashed adaption. However, I only really feel one or two of the cases involving these monsters actually felt like they were the primary focus of the stories they were in. And even then, when they were, I don't feel they saw much success. That issue with the Dark Gaia Phoenix was especially bad in that it kind of felt like it came from nowhere and was gone rather quickly without much fanfare. It doesn't help that I thought the story and writing in that issue in general was poorly executed and centered on a very boring situation. 

None of this is something I'm particularly infuriated about but it does speak volumes as to how big an issue it really is when Dark Gaia itself kind of feels like it just... showed up... here. If I had to wager a guess, the reason that Dark Gaia felt more like an ominous and worthwhile consistent presence in Sonic Unleashed was mostly due to how subdued everything else about the conflicts in the game were going. Because of how much focus there was on him it allowed for more of Sonic, Chip, and Eggman reacting to what Dark Gaia was doing and it led to so much running around for the sake of capitalizing on what he was fucking up about the world. It feels more climactic when the dude finally shows up again at the end because of that. There's also probably the fact that there is no emerging scene to set the stage for him at the beginning of the story here. Or at least I don't remember one. 

The fight was actually pretty decent in this issue though. The Archie comics usually aren't very good when it comes to it's combat, usually resorting to the dialogue the characters fire at one another in order for the scene to feel more complete and hold the reader's attention, but this was a well done simulation of the final boss from the game. It did kind of confuse me as to where exactly they were when it was taking place. They weren't at the center of the Earth like in the game but there was still lava around them so I guess it shifted and came up closer to them somehow ... or something? Not entirely sure what was going on there, but hey it was unique.

I mostly had a problem with the way a few of the characters were reacting to what was going on. I appreciate the fact that they have confidence in Sonic and took to sitting back and cheering him on for the finale but I do have to say it felt strange seeing Rotor just sitting there in a recliner with a drink in his hand watching these two Gods and Super Sonic go at it like it was a stage show. Eggman's reaction had a nugget of strangeness to it too, mostly because he was speaking as though Sonic had already won, but I suppose that's not all too odd a position for him to take.

Chip's goodbye scene works well enough considering I don't feel the comics did that good a job selling his story to us as the game did. However, the emotion it tried to sell felt legitimate enough that I can comfortably say that it caps off the ending well. Although the picture of Chip squeezing the world to death at the end was a little funny.

But whatever, who cares about that? The CHAOTIX are next~!

• Thumbs Up 1