Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Oh yeah, I actually made a note of my arc predictions before the arc even had its title revealed. Let's see how I did. 

tumblr_o9sv7qc1kd1vue5nao1_1280.png

Echo is the client on the cover

That much was proven in the preview for the first issue, let alone the rest. 

Princess Undina is the motive

And then some. Echo didn't know what she was in for. 

Abyss will play the bad guy here

Nope, it was a band of entirely new characters, although they do have history with Abyss so she wasn't totally left out.

Razor will play a key role

Moreso than I thought. 

Why do you have to be a heartbreaker

The title stuff

The title got confirmed as Case of the Pirate Princess the next day, but it was a mystery title referring to Undina so I was in the right ballpark,

Undina in Champions thing

Not the first clue, but definitely a key part of Undina's path to getting to the pirates. 

Surprisingly, I don't think they really referenced her Shamar appearance. 

So...these sane predictions were mostly on point. Couldn't have really accounted for new characters being the baddies. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just read SU 94. Really disappointing ending. I waited for a curve ball that didn't came.

Spoiler

I though maybe Abyss will show up nope.

I suspected that some new challenger attacked Dave in SU 93, and Flynn tried to trick us to think it's Echo, but nope, that's really was her.

Now, I can't blame comic for not using my ideas. But the fact that there is no secret weapon is just cheap. Maaaaybe that orb will have some payoff in the future, but like Chip talking to glowing orb or some parts of "Silver Age", I'm not satisfied with future possibility of payoff.

Also, no fight. Chaotix plan to run and it just works. The climax is guessing the password. Vector throwing Dive in part 2 is still the most violence we got in this story. Not that story needs action to be good, but it need something else in return.

It still has some funny jokes (Vector getting excited for payment is my favorite) and Undina's arc ends nicely, but I'm still disappointed.

Over all "Case of Pirate Princess" seemed to be an interesting story, but after issue 2 plot just kinda stops. It shines in characterization department, Chaotix are wonderfully comedic yet competent and I like Undina. On the other hand pirates are colorful but they didn't left much impression on me, unlike say Eclipse, Relic, Honey or even Phage and Moss. Razor's drama about leaving his family didn't touched me as well. I just didn't felt like he had that strong connections with them. Comedy wise it's one of better arcs.

Have you watched movies by Miyazaki, like "Kiki's delivery service". I didn't (yet), but I heard they aren't about a story, but watching characters interact. With that mindset this was pretty great arc. But if you assumed that Sonic story, Chaotix meeting Pirates, will have action, adventure and mysteries? Then you'll be underwhelmed.

So this might be news worthy. It looks like the Sonic comic being offered at Free Comic Book Day 2017 has been cancelled or rather replaced by a free Riverdale comic:

Archie Comics has made a new Free Comic Book Day release official, and, as you might expect, it’s one directly based on the world of “Riverdale,” the imminently debuting CW television series based on Archie’s long-running characters.

The “Riverdale” Free Comic Book Day offering, available at participating retailers on May 6, will offer two short stories reprinted from Archie’s “Riverdale” one-shot, which is currently scheduled for release on March 1. It’ll be Archie’s “Silver Sponsor” release, taking the place of a “Sonic the Hedgehog” comic announced late last year. Archie’s Gold Sponsor comic, as previously publicized, will be a reprint of 2016’s relaunched “Betty & Veronica” #1 by Adam Hughes.

Source: http://www.cbr.com/archie-brings-riverdale-to-free-comic-book-day/

It's not enough that Archie has Riverdale banners on the cover of Sonic comics because now they've denied the Sonic comics an opportunity at free promotion as well. Archie should have bumped this 'Betty & Veronica #1' and replaced it with Riverdale instead; then they could have had a free Archie comic and a free Sonic comic in 2017. 

Diversify your business Archie! You can't rely on Archie comics the whole time, that's the whole reason you got into licenced comics like Sonic the Hedgehog in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it makes sense to me that they bumped off Sonic. Riverdale is the asset they want to promote in the near future, and Betty and Veronica better represents their own-brand stuff. 

So, SU94 was fun. Nice read. Hope we can see the Pirate Crew again.

So, anyone think they can be replacements for the Sand-Blasters?

Now we wait for Antoine's story.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I'm also kind of disappointed with the ending. You can't deny they were building up some twist that never came. The editorial letter from #93 actually said we wouldn't see the secret weapon yet, but even after the preview I thought that was because Abyss took it already and was waiting for them. Then, all the uncertainty if Echo was gonna show up for their escape, which ended up just being because she was preparing the car? I even expected Charmy to get it for a moment when he stole the Captain's keys, but in the end the pirates were just very naive fools. Now, they are stranded on that island, so I guess the secret weapon still might be there and will come into play sooner or later.

Now, this arc was still nice for character interactions and moments, and it introduced us to new characters in the middle of typical Chaotix shenanigans, but with all the insistence that this is a detective's case, you would expect some actual mystery. I hope we get another "Case of..." story in the future, but I wouldn't count on it for now.

Spoiler

Oh, but I did enjoy the Chaotix returning home and seeing them collect their reward. They just never get paid, do they?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, it makes sense to me that they bumped off Sonic. Riverdale is the asset they want to promote in the near future, and Betty and Veronica better represents their own-brand stuff. 

They could have retooled the B&V issue to include both.

EDIT: actually no. Archie have been talking about how RIVERDALE and the reboot comics have been going hand-in-hand since day one. This is why yesterdays comic releases included a graphic novel that reprints the first issues of each of their rebooted comics under the notion that they inspired the TV series.

50 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

They could have retooled the B&V issue to include both.

EDIT: actually no. Archie have been talking about how RIVERDALE and the reboot comics have been going hand-in-hand since day one. This is why yesterdays comic releases included a graphic novel that reprints the first issues of each of their rebooted comics under the notion that they inspired the TV series.

Drawing deliberate parallels to the rebooted Archie comics is certainly good politics. Riverdale needs all the help it can get; all this talk of 'moody teen drama/murder mystery' is making a lot of long time Archie fans decidedly nervous. Presenting Riverdale as a legitimate spiritual successor is the only way that Archie can avoid being eaten alive by their own fanbase.

Yet I can't help but think that Archie is risking everything on Riverdale. All these banners on unrelated comics. Plus, this sudden change in the Free Comic Book Day 2017 line-up. It just looks like overstretch to me, that Archie is in way over their head with this TV deal and the consequences of failure could be disastrous.

In the end losing the chance at a free Sonic comic isn't that big a deal in the greater scheme of things. However, I'd still like Archie taking greater measures to protect themselves if Riverdale isn't the big hit they imagine it to be. Because if Archie goes down in flames then the Sonic comics do as well.

This whole Riverdale gamble just makes me want to see Sega take over Archie and bring an end to the uncertainty. After all, Archie is relatively small company in the comic book industry, they'd be much better off as a division within Sega...

Issue #290 was a nice Sonic CD (and Issue #25) callback. And Sonic Universe #94 was fun and I kinda wish it would have been longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Kintor said:

So this might be news worthy. It looks like the Sonic comic being offered at Free Comic Book Day 2017 has been cancelled or rather replaced by a free Riverdale comic:

Source: http://www.cbr.com/archie-brings-riverdale-to-free-comic-book-day/

It's not enough that Archie has Riverdale banners on the cover of Sonic comics because now they've denied the Sonic comics an opportunity at free promotion as well. Archie should have bumped this 'Betty & Veronica #1' and replaced it with Riverdale instead; then they could have had a free Archie comic and a free Sonic comic in 2017. 

Diversify your business Archie! You can't rely on Archie comics the whole time, that's the whole reason you got into licenced comics like Sonic the Hedgehog in the first place.

Ken Penders: I told Ya So!

Seriously though I'm not too surprised. I mean they are promoting the hell out of Riverdale so it's not too surprising they decided instead of doing a billionth Sonic reprint they'd burn more Riverdale into peoples skulls.

Not to alarm anyone but I figured it was worth mentioning...I tried today to renew my Sonic The Hedgehog Subscription online and it's not there.  Only back issues are available in the Sonic and Sonic Universe stores.  No subscriptions.  Please tell me I am looking in the wrong spot....

Hmm, can't imagine you're doing anything wrong; checked the site myself and the Sonic comics are still very much in the comics section, so subscriptions should be in the subscriptions section. 

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hmm, can't imagine you're doing anything wrong; checked the site myself and the Sonic comics are still very much in the comics section, so subscriptions should be in the subscriptions section. 

Hopefully it's just an over sight but I even went into the renewal side on my account and they aren't there either. That prompted me to check the main site. 

I've already started putting the pressure on Twitter to Archie, Ian and Vin. Hopefully I get something to report. 

Ian won't know about it, and Vin likely won't either. When in doubt about the non-creative side of the comics, Archie directly is always the first port of call. When I asked them for some information they responded pretty quickly, so you should get something back soon. 

I'd suggest emailing store@archiecomics.com about it.  Just make sure you're talking about having trouble resubbing to Sonic via the site, not asking "Is Sonic cancelled?".  They might not get back to you for a few days due to the weekend and MLK Jr. Day, so don't worry about a lack of response unless they still haven't responded after Tuesday.

So I finally read the last issue of Case of the Pirate Princess, it was a fun way to end it.

The overall story was good fun, seeing the Chaotix got themselves into a pirate situation definitely sounds fitting of a situation the goofball trio would get themselves into. The trio themselves were great; how Vex trying to dramatize the situation whenever the issue starts was fun, Charmy was adorable and loved how his carefree nature kinda makes him fearless and stuff, which was also fun and Espio trying to be the voice of reason in a crazy situation was, yet again, fun. Echo was a big surprise for me considering how I don't remember her appearance in Waves of Change (then again, I barely remembered WoC at all) but in here, she was really fun. Her being strict with her orders and seeing how she got herself into kind of wacky situation, fun fun fun! The pirate crew is also nice, Shellcracker and the gang were nice side villains and it would be neat to see them interact with the other heroes outside of the Chaotix. Or atleast see Blade interact with her little (now disowned) bro, Razor; by the way, he was cool to see and explore more of his history.

Was kind of disappointing to see an anticlimax, hope this might be one of those cases where "it may look like the stuff may be useless but it actually isn't" but I have my doubts. Gotta keep things going with a comic that has monthly issues.

Overall, CotPP was a fun arc. Now let's have some fun with whatever hijinx the Freedom Fighters get themselves into! (after GoaH part 4 is out)

• Thumbs Up 1

Some cool fanart of Dulcy from Fini-mum

tumblr_nhslq8mdxQ1r6r1iuo1_1280.png

Here we go. My take of a redesigned Dulcy, lacking harness/adornments other than ring.

Obviously this is not on the same lines as the other Dulcy redesigns floating around on tumblr. While they’re cool, they didn’t feel right to me- mainly because they all turned Dulcy into a mobian, more or less.

A big part of what makes Dulcy ‘Dulcy’ in my eyes is her otherness- she’s not a mobian like the others are. She’s a huge, weird animal with strange instincts and abilities that the others don’t have, even if she’s their friend.

My line of thought is that not every character has to be forced into the mobian mold to be “SEGAfied”.

For this redesign, I took major inspiration mainly from the little dragon babies from Sonic Adventure 2 (which is why I said 'research’) and the 'Divine Beast’/phoenix from Unleashed. There’s also influences of the dragons from Black Knight, though not a huge amount- mainly the wings and the horns. Those dragons seem more 'feral’ and monstrous, which wouldn’t really work for Dulcy in my eyes- she’s a young dragon. So instead she’s closer to an aged up version of the SA2 dragons.

Really, she could stand to be a liiittle more detailed, by a bit, I think. Closer to the Divine Beast. But I’m getting tired and I didn’t want to work on this for an extended amount of time.

I kind of expect this to be a 'love it or hate it’ design.

• Thumbs Up 4

Heh, nice. 

Soo uh, I'm not sure what the sigificance is with regards to the Archie website, but I thought you should know that Subscriptions are available for Sonic and Sonic Universe on Comixology. So, take from that what you will. 

"Hey guys, a lot of panic is going on about one of our most popular and long lasting comic series, perhaps we should say something to calm them down, and ensure that our sales of comics doesn't get negatively impacted by this".

"LOLNOPE, LET THEM PANIC LOL, JUST BE SILENT ON IT, THAT'S THE ARCHIE WAY!"