Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Comixology isn't a good gauge of what's going on, to be honest. Unlike the mail subscriptions, all it does is automatically buy the series' next issue when it comes out. You could subscribe right now and get nothing, and it wouldn't matter because you would have paid nothing. 

12 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

"Hey guys, a lot of panic is going on about one of our most popular and long lasting comic series, perhaps we should say something to calm them down, and ensure that our sales of comics doesn't get negatively impacted by this".

"LOLNOPE, LET THEM PANIC LOL, JUST BE SILENT ON IT, THAT'S THE ARCHIE WAY!"

Yeah, Archie's not the best when it comes to customer service (I have two experiences that prove that), and they don't really care about any IP they don't directly own.

Part of me wants Riverdale to bomb just to spite them, but I think that'd hurt the Sonic's book's chances of surviving more than if the show succeeded.

2 minutes ago, horridus said:

Again, I'd like to repeat- subscriptions are available for both books on Comixology. Not sure how that works in relation to the main Archie website, mind you, but still. 

I expect the Archie main site to be the most up-to-date with regards to this stuff, given Comix is third-party. 

C2QBNnJXgAALC26.jpg

The main indicator against the thought is that the comics are still available on the Store; however I think the lack of long-term reservation availability is more damning than past issues being available to buy. 

26 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

"Hey guys, a lot of panic is going on about one of our most popular and long lasting comic series, perhaps we should say something to calm them down, and ensure that our sales of comics doesn't get negatively impacted by this".

"LOLNOPE, LET THEM PANIC LOL, JUST BE SILENT ON IT, THAT'S THE ARCHIE WAY!"

Well, more like the comic industry in general's way.

This isn't a defense of Archie by the way, they're definitely really bad at this, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

So... can I still get a subscription directly from Archie? 

Are there some archie stores that still offer one?

Well, at moment you can't via the website, although it's not confirmed why.

You can try to do it via mail or phone, but it'd take a while to get any answer from that (plus it's a long weekend, you'd have to try on Tuesday earliest).

And I'm pretty sure Archie stores don't exist. Did you mean like via comic book shops in general?

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

And I'm pretty sure Archie stores don't exist. Did you mean like via comic book shops in general?

Like a website, or via the app?

See the first point for the website, and as for the app...I don't actually have the app. Anyone here have it that wants to try to see if it's there?

I think that was mentioned a few pages ago. It's odd that it's been cancelled so soon after the solicitation.

I said earlier, he likely won't know what's going on either. And even if he did, Archie might have told him to keep quiet on it if there was something to this. 

1 minute ago, Operationgamer17 said:

As I pointed out yesterday in the Penders topic, the same sale is being held on graphic novels of Archie's own properties as well.  The Life With Archie books, for example, are currently 65% off.  Even if it does turn out that the Sonic comic is getting axed, this sale isn't evidence of it.

Well, things are starting to look a little more serious at Archie. The lack of being able to start a new subscription does have ominous implications. Still, this all could yet be a false alarm. For all we know someone in Archie's IT department is just bad at their job and has simply forgotten to update the Sonic subscriptions for 2017. So then, I guess it’s a question of whether incompetence or malice is the real cause of this turmoil.

Even so, in the event of a worst case scenario, I've been increasing my rate of collecting via ComiXology just the same. I've been buying Sonic back issues in bulk, well ahead of where I'm up to in actually reading the comics. I now have everything except the latest three or four issues of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe. The folder of Sonic comic PDFs on my computer is now a hefty 17.5 GBs.

At least if it's cancelled it had a sort of appropriate stop point. A major arc finished, and if they managed to pump out the last two mega drive adaptions, that would be a good note to end on. I'm not really enamored with the comics myself, but I think it's hilarious that they would push it aside in favor of Riverdale, which looks like hot trash.

Like hey cool, lets try another live action Archie, cause that last one was real good.

I finished Case of the Pirate Princess, and I legitimate thought it was the funniest ending I've seen to a Sonic book in a long while. Everything was perfectly done, and it just led to something was so funny. I think the second to last panel on the second to last page has become one of my favourite panels in the comic to date.

Honestly, I did feel that the payoff was pretty weak. There wasn't really a mystery to be solved, after the second part it was just "Chaotix make a plan" and the plan goes as planned for the next two issues. No obstacles, no stakes higher than before. 

Also Undina's "cleverness" is really just told to us, to me it came off as contrived. Would Vector really not have tried sending Espio to do recon to get that password considering that's his job? Because downplaying what Espio does was the only way Undina could have contributed here. In the end, she really is quite stupid in how she put everyone at risk for selfish reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 2

God willing if the book does end a new one starts up (Hopefully with Flynn still on board) at IDW or Boom or somewhere. I seriously doubt Sega would just abandon a comic adaptation all together.

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Honestly, I did feel that the payoff was pretty weak. There wasn't really a mystery to be solved, after the second part it was just "Chaotix make a plan" and the plan goes as planned for the next two issues. No obstacles, no stakes higher than before. 

Well, that's more issues with the story overall. I'm not arguing that. I thought it was a little weak too. But I personally found that final payoff brilliant. 

Spoiler

First, it's a location we've never seen in Sonic, a currency exchange building, and it just hits you that while Sonic and his friends are never at this kind of location, The Chaotix will usually have to go to businesses like that and a lot of comedic values can come out of cramming two wacky detectives and a ninja into one building. Vector getting overhyped on what they'll buy with the money while Espio pretty much ruins the fun and tells him they're buying everything they need to survive, only for the cashier to give a snarky reply and flip the screen to the Chaotix's utterly shocked expressions, only for Charmy to end it off with him saying he wants to keep his share. It just hit really well for me.

Kind of spoiled a tad when the same "being shortchanged by royalty" thing was done before by Sally giving them a hero sandwich as a reward, but this one is executed differently so I guess it gets points there.