Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

As a note, currently the issue with the earliest scheduled release date is Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive. However, Mega Drive is on a three monthly schedule like Digest and Magazine, so I don't know if it'll be updated later due to that, released before everything or just be left to rot with the release date it has ala Digest #18 and Magazine #14. 

Also as a note, the main comic's current release gap is officially now longer than the hiatus that happened last year, as that was only three months. 

5 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

...... that's it.... i'm done.  Archie Comics is dead to me until they get another sonic book out.  I am dropping all the all-new Archie titles. 

Boom studios is now best comic publisher, unless they start to delay Steven Universe, then I'll just be salty at everyone. :P

I don't know if I'd go that far (Ian Flynn and Mark Waid on Jughead *Drool*) but yeah the writing's on the wall right about now.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Completely boycotting Archie would just do them, and by extension Sonic, more harm than good.

Nah, they obviously don't care that Sonic was basically half of thier safty net for decades along with thier digests, I am under no obligation to follow none sonic related books from a company that is constantly delaying books without giving readers an answer.  And if SEGA is just as much to blame as Archie in this... well Sonic Mania & PuyoPuyo Tetris may very well be the last games I buy from them.

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

Nah, they obviously don't care that Sonic was basically half of thier safty net for decades along with thier digests, I am under no obligation to follow none sonic related books from a company that is constantly delaying books without giving readers an answer.  And if SEGA is just as much to blame as Archie in this... well Sonic Mania & PuyoPuyo Tetris may very well be the last games I buy from them.

Getting the feeling most of their attention is being pooled into Riverdale... or whatever that liveaction thing is. Was it a movie or tv series? Eh, I can hardly keep up anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Adamis said:

A very nice TV series.

With an actor as flat as wood playing Archie and the least jughead-esque Jughead this side of reality.  Not to mention thr creepy Archie banged his teacher sub-plot.  The only thing that gives the show any level of watchability is the actresses playing Betty & Veronica are halfway decent.  Archie putting so much faith in Pretty Little Liars: Archie Edition will just be baf for fans of their comics in the long run, just like Marvel caring more about thier movies then books has hurt them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

...When was the last time they sold a comic?

Yeah, that's why I'm wary of tying it to the current woes. I forgot it was even a thing period. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Marvel caring about movies hasn't hurt them in the slightest and they are richer than god, on top of that their ability to make more money than god gets disney to give them money to continue to make money. they are a successful in the long run and has caused a resurgence in their comics in sales. The only thing that have brought some sales down is not them caring about films its their ability to continuously push bad events as things people should read, they have been doing this before they made movies. And even then it hasn't really hurt them at all. 

You don't like marvel I get that, you catn make up facts about a company being hurt, when they are literally one of the most successful companies as of currently on the planet, because you don't like them. I don't like oil companies, Guess what makes literal billions of dollars. Hell DC movies are mostly shit and they are still doing more than fine. 

And if this show brings them in money, they wont really care about sonic comics. And if it does extremely well and it can spin off into movies and other things, sonic going to another publisher will be nothing. And you wont like it, and they wont care. They'll be making money. You not liking something does not mean it in anyway shape or form negatively effects a companies bottom line. It can, it doesn't mean it is though. 

1 minute ago, YamiMario said:

According to the Wikia they haven't published Sonic comics since 2014 with Endangered Species, so...

I checked it up myself. There was one more volume published after what the Wiki has recorded up to, but only that one volume, and back in October 2015. 

39 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

With an actor as flat as wood playing Archie and the least jughead-esque Jughead this side of reality.  Not to mention thr creepy Archie banged his teacher sub-plot.  The only thing that gives the show any level of watchability is the actresses playing Betty & Veronica are halfway decent.  Archie putting so much faith in Pretty Little Liars: Archie Edition will just be baf for fans of their comics in the long run, just like Marvel caring more about thier movies then books has hurt them.

Spicy.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Marvel caring about movies hasn't hurt them in the slightest and they are richer than god, on top of that their ability to make more money than god gets disney to give them money to continue to make money. they are a successful in the long run and has caused a resurgence in their comics in sales. The only thing that have brought some sales down is not them caring about films its their ability to continuously push bad events as things people should read, they have been doing this before they made movies. And even then it hasn't really hurt them at all. 

You don't like marvel I get that, you catn make up facts about a company being hurt, when they are literally one of the most successful companies as of currently on the planet, because you don't like them. I don't like oil companies, Guess what makes literal billions of dollars. Hell DC movies are mostly shit and they are still doing more than fine. 

And if this show brings them in money, they wont really care about sonic comics. And if it does extremely well and it can spin off into movies and other things, sonic going to another publisher will be nothing. And you wont like it, and they wont care. They'll be making money. You not liking something does not mean it in anyway shape or form negatively effects a companies bottom line. It can, it doesn't mean it is though. 

Why do I get the feeling you work or know someone who works for a souless corporation?

Also I'm not making anything up, Marvel's comic sells have been hurting for awhile now.  DC & heck even Image are doing better then them overall & justifably so.  The only reason Marvel gets #1 spot on comic charts is because they purposely overship books to comic shops, most of which actually don't sell at set shops and hurt set shops "bottom line".

We've been over this before, Marvel is a horrible company for various reasons and I would hate to see Archie go down the same path!

Anywho, on a somewhat more on topic note, at least there are still ways to support the comic artists & writers.  Hesse has his origional series DIESEL with Boom and Ian has his "Archie, but in a glitchy video game" book coming up from that small publisher whoms name I can't remember ATM.  Hopefully the others will get more work on other stuff over time as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why do I get the feeling you work or know someone who works for a souless corporation?

Technically speaking I work for multiple soulless corporations. 

Also I'm not making anything up, Marvel's comic sells have been hurting for awhile now.  DC & heck even Image are doing better then them overall & justifably so.  The only reason Marvel gets #1 spot on comic charts is because they purposely overship books to comic shops, most of which actually don't sell at set shops and hurt set shops "bottom line".

Show me the receipts. 

We've been over this before, Marvel is a horrible company for various reasons and I would hate to see Archie go down the same path!

Archie has been as described by people I know who have been commissioned to work for archie , " a shit dumpster fire" for over a decade. Archie wishes it was on marvel's path... which is why it made the show. 

Anywho, on a somewhat more on topic note, at least there are still ways to support the comic artists & writers.  Hesse has his origional series DIESEL with Boom and Ian has his "Archie, buy in a glitchy video game" book coming up from that small publisher whoms name I can't remember ATM.  Hopefully the others will get more work on other stuff over time as well.

I think the folks working on the book as of now if they aren't already are talented enough to get work elsewhere, and be fine. 

58 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Can't I have my own opinion without anyone needing to contradict it ?

29 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

That's a thing that's happened. 

It was known, though. I remember telling Panda about that about one year ago, around February 2016.

2ce4r34.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

21 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Anywho, on a somewhat more on topic note, at least there are still ways to support the comic artists & writers.  Hesse has his origional series DIESEL with Boom and Ian has his "Archie, but in a glitchy video game" book coming up from that small publisher whoms name I can't remember ATM.  Hopefully the others will get more work on other stuff over time as well.

Reel it in there tiger. You really just are starting to sound like "Bleeding Cool'-incarnate. Marvel isn't perfect for a whole lot of reasons, but going bananas and saying "it's a horrible company" is a little much. Is the CEO a penny-pinching prick who's made a lot of busted decisions over the past few years? Yes. But are the writers and the creative teams involved in the books so awful? Are the editors awful? Sure, some of the business decisions are busted like piles of variants and overshipping some titles, but a horrible company is pushing it. There's "being angry at 'the man'" and then there's "being angry at all the men." Going HAM on all corporations and keyboard-warrioring against every single one doesn't make a lot of sense.

And Archie IS a shitty company. Does the Kickstarter fiasco from 2015 ring any bells? That was the biggest middle-finger to LCS'. Despite the huge-ass gamble making Riverdale, it's actually paying off and cutting ties with Sonic (or probably not fighting for it) will save them a lot of headaches in the long-term as they can now just focus on their in-house brands without the fear of a licensor breathing down their back for mismanaging the Sonic brand.

Before slamming your hands against your ears and screaming conjecture and such, you might want to keep both your eyes and ears open and pay attention without showing blatant favoritism. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Completely boycotting Archie would just do them, and by extension Sonic, more harm than good.

Seeing as how the only Archie comics I buy are Sonic and Mega Man I suppose that I'm technically on a boycott or sorts. If Archie doesn't want my money by providing a steady supply of new Sonic comics then I guess I have no choice but to spend my money elsewhere.

As has been said before, IDW would make a good choice as the new home for Sonic comics as IDW generally treats their licenced IPs well. Although, another good choice would be Oni Press, I'm reading their licenced Invader Zim comic at the moment and I think Oni would do well handling the Sonic licence.

Beyond that, the other option is to simply have Sega buy Archie comics outright. Which could be done, Sega is a far bigger company then Archie, with a long history of acquisitions. It's a question of whether Sega would be willing to expand directly into the comics industry, rather than relying on proxies like Archie to reach that market.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Are we absolutely sure this time?

No, we aren't.  We won't know for certain unless either Archie makes a statement, or they send out the "this series is ending" notice to subscribers regarding what will happen to their remaining issues, as they did for Mega Man and Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, I'm all for preparing for the worst, but let's not be too kneejerk about it...

• Thumbs Up 3

(sigh)

Assuming the comics aren't cancelled, a hiatus this long is sure to put a massive dent in sales.  Assuming they are being cancelled, all I ask for is Sonic Mega Drive Overdrive, Issue 291 of the main series, and, if possible, Graphic Novels up to Genesis of a Hero and Case of the Pirate Princess arcs along with the Sonic Mega Drive Graphic Novel.  And for Flynn to info dump the pre-252 timeline of the post-SGW world.

• Thumbs Up 2