Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Hey guys, I know I'm new here, but just hear me out on this. There seems to be a lot of speculation about SEGA cancelling the comic and this resent news just turned a bonfire into a forest fire for some of you. What if, SEGA told Archie to stop producing the sonic comics because they are concerned with how the court case is going to go. Think about it, if this case goes to trial and the court rules in Fulop's favor, he or the judge could order Archie (or even worse SEGA) to never publish the comics again. Plus with all the back and forth going on with the case right now (TheAmazingSallyHogan has a great article on the mess that this case has been  http://theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/157126289491/sonic-the-hedgehog-scott-fulop-narrative-ark) there is no telling what Fulop is going to pull out of his ass next.

I've seen some people asking why SEGA and Archie aren't commenting on the comics delay. Again, that could be because of the court case. There are laws against talking out about court cases while they are happening. I think it would be best to just wait it out until there is official word that the comic are indeed, cancelled. Which at this point, with SEGA having stated before that they want to transform sonic into a multimedia icon, the Sonic Comic Humble Bundle, and all of the love that the social media team has put into mega drive, just sounds ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 8

11 minutes ago, JC_Mike said:

Hey guys, I know I'm new here, but just hear me out on this. There seems to be a lot of speculation about SEGA cancelling the comic and this resent news just turned a bonfire into a forest fire for some of you. What if, SEGA told Archie to stop producing the sonic comics because they are concerned with how the court case is going to go. Think about it, if this case goes to trial and the court rules in Fulop's favor, he or the judge could order Archie (or even worse SEGA) to never publish the comics again. Plus with all the back and forth going on with the case right now (TheAmazingSallyHogan has a great article on the mess that this case has been  http://theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/157126289491/sonic-the-hedgehog-scott-fulop-narrative-ark) there is no telling what Fulop is going to pull out of his ass next.

I've seen some people asking why SEGA and Archie aren't commenting on the comics delay. Again, that could be because of the court case. There are laws against talking out about court cases while they are happening. I think it would be best to just wait it out until there is official word that the comic are indeed, cancelled. Which at this point, with SEGA having stated before that they want to transform sonic into a multimedia icon, the Sonic Comic Humble Bundle, and all of the love that the social media team has put into mega drive, just sounds ridiculous.

Yeah... Here's an article that was published a few days ago. It summarizes things pretty nicely. Evidence is suggesting cancellation, but like you said, I'd rather wait it out.
EDIT: Whoops. Misread, this was in January.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/16/archie-comics-dropping-sonic-hedgehog/

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

That was over a month ago, before this insanity even started. 

Speaking of...back then you had said there was a rumor starting to float around and shared it so people would be aware. Do we know the source of that rumor? I ask because its clear that rumor is becoming fact more and more everyday and maybe this source can give us a better understanding of everything. 

46 minutes ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

(sigh)

Assuming the comics aren't cancelled, a hiatus this long is sure to put a massive dent in sales.  Assuming they are being cancelled, all I ask for is Sonic Mega Drive Overdrive, Issue 291 of the main series, and, if possible, Graphic Novels up to Genesis of a Hero and Case of the Pirate Princess arcs along with the Sonic Mega Drive Graphic Novel.  And for Flynn to info dump the pre-252 timeline of the post-SGW world.

Yeah, with the exception of Sonic the Hedgehog #291 there aren't too many loose ends in the comic at the moment. So in a worst case scenario this is probably a reasonable place to stop. Assuming of course that another publisher like IDW or Oni Press wouldn't be able or willing to pick-up the story again where things left off.

With that said, I'm going to be extremely annoyed if we don't get Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive. Because, Sonic Mega Drive is the first Sonic comic I bought in years (before deciding the collect every digital back issue), I really want to this spin-off completed.

As a paying subscriber to both books, I really don't like being jerked around like this without an explanation. Either give me a comic or refund my money.

Just give the comic to a less flaky licensor, Sega. I think it'd be in everyone's best interest at this point.

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't like the looks of this. Not one bit. It's been confusing since the delays. First it was coming in March, but then it's been pushed to April, and now Sonic not showing up in May's solicits is concerning.

What's annoying me is Archie not saying anything about what's happening to this Sonic situation. Best to speak up on the whole situation rather than leaving others in the dark all concerned.

I'm prolly beating a dead horse at this point, but I'm just tried of this whole thing. I know the Riverdale show is Archie's priority at the moment, but I hope we get some actual (good) news regarding the Sonic comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is Sonic advertised normally in the other Archie books? Like Jughead, etc? And if it has been in the past, is it being advertised currently now in the most recent issues? Just curious.

Honestly at this point I just want the continuity to continue. I could care less if it was Archie jump ship to IDW or Boom or even Dynamite I don't care just so long as this continuity continues as is.

• Thumbs Up 2

That doesn't necessarily confirm that it's safe, does it? He's not specifically addressing anything about the apparent hiatus (which, to my knowledge, he's been completely silent on), only that he intends to keep writing for Sonic while working on Jughead.

I like how professional Ian is about not spilling stuff he's not supposed to spill. Same thing for Tyson Hesse and the rest. The fact that there haven't really been any leaks to speak of from Archie speaks well both of their employees' self-preservation instincts as well as their professionalism.

• Thumbs Up 5

21 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

I like how professional Ian is about not spilling stuff he's not supposed to spill. Same thing for Tyson Hesse and the rest. The fact that there haven't really been any leaks to speak of from Archie speaks well both of their employees' self-preservation instincts as well as for their professionalism.

yes, as much as i hate being left in the dark concerning the situation, i need to say kudos to the team. (also Ian's tweet ease me a bit, its the first time he speaks about the comic since when? ,not counting last month solicitations)

• Thumbs Up 7

@NicoS I'm a few BumbleKasts behind, but I believe Ian is continuing to answer comic-related questions concerning his future plans without any caveats. This recent tweet seems to me to hold the same "business as usual" attitude he's continued to express in the podcast, but it is nonetheless good to hear, and it puts me a bit at ease as well. Seeing an apparently calm attitude from fearless leader himself is comforting—not to get too melodramatic about a comic book. :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Archie Sonic has become Schrodinger's Hedgehog, it's both alive & dead.   Lord willing the delays are over and we will get some legit info on the resson for the  delays in the coming months.  

• Thumbs Up 5

Quick question: during the hiatus last year, did Sonic ever disappear from solicits? I remember issues being resolicited, but I don't recall if it was ever absent entirely like this.

I checked back, they were never outright missing. New solicits were released in January and March 2016, while February and April 2016 had some of the old covers reposted again for resolicitation. They were never without Sonic there entirely. 

Double post, but this has an update, sort of. It's order form time! Remember that this page is a reference

• Sonic Super Special Magazine #14 is officially cancelled, again. That was kinda known despite them not saying it.
  • Worlds Unite Volume 3, on the other hand, has a 2 next to it, which means that currently they're saying it'll be resolicitated. Now, Archie has been known to say it will resolicitate something in one month, then just cancel it without resoliciting it in a later month, but still. 
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hang on, saying they'd resolicit things only to cancel them later isn't just a past occurrence; that's exactly what happened with Sonic Super Digest #18 and Sonic Super Special Magazine #14 in December. That isn't a good sign then. 

And if they get cancelled the month after their scheduled release date, we may very well see WU volume 3 pop up again in the April 2017 order form. 

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

(sigh)

Assuming the comics aren't cancelled, a hiatus this long is sure to put a massive dent in sales.

You say that but Archie have been delaying their horror titles constantly since their inception, and pretty much every first issue after a hiatus has sold enough to warrent at least a second printing.

• Thumbs Up 2

It definitely hurt Sonic when it did it last year though. I'm guessing that's down to the difference in audience.