Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

17 hours ago, JC_Mike said:

I've seen some people asking why SEGA and Archie aren't commenting on the comics delay. Again, that could be because of the court case. There are laws against talking out about court cases while they are happening. I think it would be best to just wait it out until there is official word that the comic are indeed, cancelled. Which at this point, with SEGA having stated before that they want to transform sonic into a multimedia icon, the Sonic Comic Humble Bundle, and all of the love that the social media team has put into mega drive, just sounds ridiculous.

^^^

We seem to keep coming back to this "Archie and Sega are keeping silent" thing. We should rightly be keeping our ears to the ground, ready for whenever they do say something—I just want to reiterate that there are legit reasons they may have to keep quiet (and even hold off on solicitations and releases) that don't necessarily involve them just trying to be sneaky book-killers. I know we all know this, but I want to restate that silence and lack of solicitations don't necessarily equate to the death of the comic.

Edit: We all know that a silence this long has to involve behind-the-scenes reasons, and any behind-the-scenes reasons that could cause a delay this long could very easily require, legally or contractually, delays and lack of communication. If the books were simply cancelled, I feel we'd have known much sooner.

• Thumbs Up 1

No, but it doesn't look good when solicits are a no-show, things are pushed back constantly, secondary lines are cancelled left, right and centre and we don't hear a word on it from the official communication lines. People are anxious, and at this point quite justifiably. Even if the reason ends up being perfectly valid, this is not really an ideal situation for anyone. 

• Thumbs Up 7

@VEDJ-F I agree it isn't good. I just think @JC_Mike had a really good point. If Archie and Sega are holding off because of the lawsuit or for some similar reason, they could potentially be caught in a tough spot of not wanting to release anything yet but also not wanting to cancel anything, hoping to continue again when they can. In this case, the only remaining option would be what they're doing now: constantly and quietly pushing them back.

The books not being solicited at all is a bit different, but they could still be waiting out whatever the issue is, and maybe they just got tired of quietly pushing things back every month, opting instead for complete silence until things are resolved and they're ready to say something concrete. Or they could maybe solicit the Sonic books separately (is that even a thing that can be done?), but that seems less likely to me.

I just don't want anyone on the doom train or the emotional roller coaster quite yet.

Edit: Obviously, there's absolutely no reason to buy any tickets for the hype train either, but that goes without saying.

• Thumbs Up 3

Plus, when this whole thing started, I was told by them that this could mean the book is cancelled. Which they then backpedeled when the rest of the fans (all 10 of us lol) called and started asking questions.

Whole thing's fucked.

I agree that acknowledging the delays would be better than just delaying, even if it was just an acknowledgement, but there could be reasons why even that isn't happening. Maybe Sega doesn't want them representing the brand at all (including talking about it) until things resolve.

And concerning Archie customer service, I really would take it with a grain of salt—maybe even half a grain. I've worked in customer service before, and the chances that anyone in Archie's customer service department knows anything at all is very low, in my opinion. A CS rep is going to try to help you, and if you ask a question that's not on his script, he's going to use his own logic and come up with a maybe.

In the end, Archie and Sega might not even be completely sure how this is going to end yet. Maybe they're the ones who are frustrated at not being able to tell us anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Was there anything about the volumes getting cancelled, or was it just the digests and the magazines? I would think that the digests and the magazines getting cancelled could mean that Archie and SEGA don't want to bother with moving them around like the other comics and just outright chose to cancel it. All the digests were IMO, just a selection of random issues in the hopes that some kid comes across them in a supermarket, buys it, and then after reading it buys a subscription to the comics. Essentially, they are advertisements for the main comics, and it was probably easy and cheap for them to make.

This could have also been a decision that was in the workings before the hiatus and they are now getting to it because they probably have free-time that was taken up before by the regular business operations of selling the comic. So since that's halted, they can take the time to make business decisions about the comic's future (with or without SEGA).

• Thumbs Up 1

The central Sonic volumes won't be in line to be affected until April (for StH Volume 5) and May (SUS Volume 1). Worlds Unite Volume 3 is currently suspect as it's been tabbed as up for resolicitation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, so I wanna explain to a friend in a non-paniced way that the comic's current status is in limbo but I can't seem to find an article that doesn't convey that, TSSZ's and other articles just paint a negative and bleak outlook. this whole situation is hard to put into words and I'm not totally keeping up with all the events thats going on.

Can someone write down a summary of events so far that would catch someone up with whats going on without the "The comic is doomed!!!!" vibe to it? or if theirs some kind of blog post can someone link it?

Thanks.

@goku262002 Archie isn't taking subscriptions for the books right now, and they're not saying why or even mentioning them on Twitter. Books keep getting delayed, and a magazine and a digest got cancelled. There's also an ongoing legal case with a company involving some dude who used to write for them that may or may not be related.

You could add if you want that no artists or writers working for Archie have said anything aside from that they know what's going on (in Tyson's case). None of them is acting panicked (Ian in particular seems very calm), but this may be either because they know everything will work out or because they know they can get other work if or when everything doesn't. No one has leaked anything (to their credit) worth mentioning.

That's my off-the-top-of-my-head summary. I'm sure someone else could add to it or give dates, etc., if that 's more what you're looking for.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Borvoc said:

I'm sure someone else could add to it or give dates, etc. if that 's more what you're looking for.

Kind of what I'm looking for, But thank you anyways.

4 hours ago, goku262002 said:

Kind of what I'm looking for, But thank you anyways.

Eh. Just trying to simplify. I'm more into the big picture than the little details.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

So Ian doesn't know anything about the schedule for the books.

Kinda Iike how he doesn't know anything about Megaman, who everyone assumes is outright canned. I don't really know what to take from this...

Archie is now pushing back non-Sonic books.  The Sabrina one-shot has been pushed back by 2 months and issue #5 of Reggie & Me has been pushed back as well.

Honestly at this point I am even more convinced Archie is having $$$ problems.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sad for Archie fans, though we can at least be relieved to know whatever's going on, it's NOT purely a Sonic-related issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Sad for Archie fans, though we can at least be relieved to know whatever's going on, it's NOT purely a Sonic-related issue.

Yea, Between the Sonic Books, B&V, Riverdale and now Reggie and Sabrina, Archie is just not good at getting the majority if it's books out on time.  I wonder how long before they stop doing solicits altogether. XD

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Archie is now pushing back non-Sonic books.  The Sabrina one-shot has been pushed back by 2 months and issue #5 of Reggie & Me has been pushed back as well.

Honestly at this point I am even more convinced Archie is having $$$ problems.

I wouldn't be too sure about that considering earlier this month they announced a partnership with Warner Bros to make new shows which would imply that Riverdale is successful and they also announced that they're partnering with Marvel to make Spider-Man Digest. 

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that considering earlier this month they announced a partnership with Warner Bros to make new shows which would imply that Riverdale is successful and they also announced that they're partnering with Marvel to make Spider-Man Digest. 

Given that Warner Bros. Is putting up a good chunk of the money for set shows and the Marvel digests are Reprints of pre-existing material that's not really saying much.  

But yea hopefully the TV shows will end up helping them financialy down the road.  At this point though given all the delays of books its obvious something is up.  Not being able to pay the printer would be a reasonable deduction at this point.

They haven't stopped talking about those series though (seriously, only yesterday they were advertising Reggie and Me's latest issue), and there hasn't been a systematic cancellation of every periphery book around them. I don't think they're comparable to the Sonic situation right now. 

• Thumbs Up 5

but if this is really $$$ problem, maybe archie couldn't afford renewing the license on time (which is not really forgetting to renew it), and because of that they obviously can't release any new issue nor advertise/talk about the series

Spoiler

i should stop theorizing and just wait for official word...

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

and there hasn't been a systematic cancellation of every periphery book around them.

Wait you mean every Sonic-related book except SU and STH itself is canceled?!