Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

I wouldn't be surprised if the customer service reps just said there'd be an email so that people would stop hounding them, before realising there wasn't really anything new they could say. But they had no choice so they decided that reiterating was better than breaking their promise.

• Thumbs Up 7

@GOAT If you've been out for that long, then you've got plenty of issues or trades to read before you even have to worry about the current delays. Issues can still be purchased digitally on comiXology and the Archie site, I believe, and you can get the trades from Amazon, etc. For all we know, subs may be back up by the time you catch up to the present.

You're like a time capsule. I'd like to hear what you think about what's changed since you last subscribed.

16 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

So my friend got an email form Archie and.....

he reason no issues have been received is because there has been a delay on all Sonic titles. We are currently working on the situation and do apologize for this. Once we receive information we will notify all customers.

Boy this is....bad. 

Taking this at face value, as I've only heard of one subscriber receiving this message so far, assuming it isn't a fabrication, the fact that they use the word "delay" instead of "hiatus" may actually be a good thing. The use of the word "receive" may also indicate that the delay is not a choice on Archie's end but something they are waiting on outside information or permission in order to resolve. This may also be good as it indicates that Archie isn't simply overlooking or killing the book by choice, meaning they have not necessarily lost the desire to publish the Sonic books.

Once these delays hypothetically resolve, I want the Archie Sonic books to be stormed by an alien race of Ench'iladas lead by the insidious Pen Kenders and his robot lackey uFlop, while Rhinoceros Magnus, a mastermind rhinoceros with a cane manipulates events and amasses power from the shadows. Just to shove the legal shenanigans back in people's faces.

On a more serious note, it would be kind of nice for the delays to be recognized in the books when they come back. Like either make it clear that the new story line takes place some time after the previous one (not sure how likely this could be) or at least throw in some editor's note saying something like "And we're finally back, true believers (TM Marvel Comics)—I mean Sonic Fans!" which could be edited out of reprints, for which the delays won't mean as much.

Also, speaking of Mammoth Mogul, is it just me, or was he basically just the Archie Sonic version of Marvel's Wilson Fisk / The Kingpin? Either way, I thought he was cool.

• Thumbs Up 5

19 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

Also, speaking of Mammoth Mogul, is it just me, or was he basically just the Archie Sonic version of Marvel's Wilson Fisk / The Kingpin? Either way, I thought he was cool.

Visually yes, given that he was a rather large, rotund fellow with a fondness for fancy suits, usually colored white but not always. Conceptually though he was really more like Archie Sonic's answer to DC's own Vandal Savage- born in prehistoric times, made immortal by a glowing rock that fell from space (the Chaos Emerald), has undergone many different identities over the millenia in his quest to conquer Mobius, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 8

@horridus That makes sense, now that you mention it. I did like how he seems to be repentant of his former ways in Silver's time, which makes for some interesting character development. Unless I'm misremembering things. I need to go back and read/reread more Mammoth Mogul stories.

• Thumbs Up 2

It was kind of too early to say whether future Mogul had truly changed his ways. Edmund was at least very wary of him.

• Thumbs Up 6

@Ernest-Panda Man. Now I'm regretting the reboot for like the first time. (No offense to anyone who's been regretting it longer—I was just less invested.)

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It was kind of too early to say whether future Mogul had truly changed his ways. Edmund was at least very wary of him.

I like to imagine he did genuinely reform, but Silver's changing the past by saving Sally meant Mogul never underwent his Heel-Face Turn, so he ended up carrying out his plan of waiting Sonic and his friends out and then taking over Mobius unopposed.

That would've made for a great story- Silver returning home after finally completing his mission, only to find that the closest thing he had to a father figure is now his new worst enemy. 

• Thumbs Up 7

The whole Archie Sonic chaos right now is pissing me off. :angry:

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Not to mention, legally, they can't use the content anymore.

They can't? I know Archie can't because of Penders (although I heard that Sega was willing to allow them to use it anyway), but I thought the court case was thrown out regarding Sega using Chronicles' material and there was nothing barring them from that? Not that they have any incentive, but if they were to ever choose to do so, I don't think Penders can stop them.

And I really want to see Shade, Ix, and the Nocturnus someday (game-wise)...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

They can't? I know Archie can't because of Penders (although I heard that Sega was willing to allow them to use it anyway), but I thought the court case was thrown out regarding Sega using Chronicles' material and there was nothing barring them from that?

And I really want to see Shade, Ix, and the Nocturnus someday (game-wise)...

As far as I know, stuff related to Chronicles, including/especially the Nocturnus, are off-limits despite the court case being dismissed. I assume they either settled with Penders similar to what Archie did (I recall Ian saying he couldn't use them specifically because of Penders) or they're playing it safe and ignoring it so they don't have to worry about him again. Probably helps that the game takes place at least a few years later down the line (so I've heard, anyway. I haven't played it myself).

Or they just don't want to have those characters in the games again just like a lot of the handheld-exclusive characters. Doesn't help that Chronicles was the most divorced game from Sonic Team's supervision since before Sonic 3D Blast. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really hate the seeming hypocrisy from SEGA that seems to say "we need more Sonic games, but we don't want them to actually count for anything in our already loose continuity."

Okay, so maybe "hypocrisy" isn't the right word, but you know what I mean.

To be fair, Chronicles seems like it was entirely out of SoJ's hands, so it's no surprise they wouldn't want to put it in their continuity. 

Seriously, the only credit even fathomably linked to them is Takashi Iizuka as "Sonic Character supervisor", but given how it's reemed off on a list instead of being a notable credit, I don't think he was close to the project at all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the customer service reps just said there'd be an email so that people would stop hounding them, before realising there wasn't really anything new they could say. But they had no choice so they decided that reiterating was better than breaking their promise.

That they along with the PR who runs the twitter don't know what's going on and probably can't cause they're under NDA. I feel as if that's the one thing people are forgetting. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

Or they just don't want to have those characters in the games again just like a lot of the handheld-exclusive characters. Doesn't help that Chronicles was the most divorced game from Sonic Team's supervision since before Sonic 3D Blast. 

I think that's our answer , this isn't the first time someone else has made a sonic thing ( like the comic or various cartoons ) and they used the one thing they liked about it and didn't really care about anything else. 

Even with boom, regular sega , unless called upon to specifically make something seems to only use the thing they made , sticks, and that's it. Whether you think its good or bad, they are just super particular about what they choose to care about

47 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

To be fair, Chronicles seems like it was entirely out of SoJ's hands, so it's no surprise they wouldn't want to put it in their continuity. 

Seriously, the only credit even fathomably linked to them is Takashi Iizuka as "Sonic Character supervisor", but given how it's reemed off on a list instead of being a notable credit, I don't think he was close to the project at all. 

There was a rumor going around for a little bit that they really weren't fond of that game. The thing with penders didn't help. Though to be fair... a lot of people aren't fond of that game, for one reason or another. 

I kinda like Chronicle in some parts and not so much in others. I didn't like Sonic for example. His neutral responses and snarky responses annoyed me, and his nice responses felt a little OOC. He's nice yeah, but not that nice. And ceirtainly not that mean. I liked the dialogue of other characters though. Like Amy, Tails, Knuckles and Rouge. And some parts of the story were good, and some others... Eh, kinda boring.

But anyway, we are halfway through the year already. Where the HELL are my comics Archie. Or at least give me an update. A real one sended to everyone or in your twitter/website and not just sent to one person, and said response to be "The delays are because there are delays". Get your shit together, Archie.

I didn't like how any of the characters were, and why they were there, and the weird alien things, or a lot of the music. 

But the concept of a Sonic based RPG is an interesting idea and they should do it again. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

I kinda like Chronicle in some parts and not so much in others. I didn't like Sonic for example. His neutral responses and snarky responses annoyed me, and his nice responses felt a little OOC. He's nice yeah, but not that nice. And ceirtainly not that mean. I liked the dialogue of other characters though. Like Amy, Tails, Knuckles and Rouge. And some parts of the story were good, and some others... Eh, kinda boring.

Yeah. The main thing that keeps me from even picking that game up is the touch-screen-only control scheme. Give me a good ol' analog or D-pad and buttons, and I"m good. Although, Sonic Chronicles would potentially be a good choice for a mobile re-release, since touch-screen controls are perfect for that medium. Granted, with the legal nonsense, this isn't even in the realm of possibility.

14 hours ago, RictalRose0 said:

But anyway, we are halfway through the year already. Where the HELL are my comics Archie. Or at least give me an update. A real one sended to everyone or in your twitter/website and not just sent to one person, and said response to be "The delays are because there are delays". Get your shit together, Archie.

To be fair, I'm not even convinced that one person actually got an e-mail from Archie. All I've heard is someone saying that someone said that he got an e-mail from Archie. Until I have more proof, I'm not at all convinced it happened, in which case I can't conclude that Archie is unevenly distributing information only to certain people.

Also, as stated numerous times, this may not be Archie's shit to get together. For all we know, they're also out of the loop on what's going on or what the resolution is going to be. And if that's the case, it's not like they can rat out the people how are causing the delays. That would just cause more trouble.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I didn't like how any of the characters were, and why they were there, and the weird alien things, or a lot of the music.

But the concept of a Sonic based RPG is an interesting idea and they should do it again.

I'd be way down for a Sonic the Hedgehog RPG. Just give me buttons instead of touch screen, and I'm in. Probably.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Then

Now

Many months have passed, but... disscussion do not moves. Time has lost its effect on me.

Yet, the suffering continues. Archie's grasp chokes the past, present... and future. Hope is lost.

Gotta go fast — getting comic would be blast...Samurai Jack Sonic the Hedgehog

And now I wish I knew anything at all about Samurai Jack so that I could get your amazing joke. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

http://archiesoniconline.com/board/index.php?topic=1158.msg24376#msg24376

Okay, so I went ahead and tried again today hoping to talk to Lisa; and I did. She's much more personable than the other gentleman and remembered our previous conversation. She apologized for the email not getting sent out saying they had hoped to be ready by then but that it turned out they were still working on it, re-emphasizing that she thought it would be soon but not giving any exact timetable this time.

Looks like an email is still actually coming. That email that Dejimon11's friend got might have been an accidental fluke. Like if you got an email that said you been accepted for a job or college yet the email was sent as a mistake. Knowing the high volume of emails Archie might send out, they are likely automating the process it or using an email blast.

• Thumbs Up 2

So they're still working on the email, meaning the fate of the Sonic comics is probably already decided?

21 hours ago, Borvoc said:

Yeah. The main thing that keeps me from even picking that game up is the touch-screen-only control scheme. Give me a good ol' analog or D-pad and buttons, and I"m good. Although, Sonic Chronicles would potentially be a good choice for a mobile re-release, since touch-screen controls are perfect for that medium. Granted, with the legal nonsense, this isn't even in the realm of possibility.

Ho, same. Those touch-screen controls I just can't stand them. Especially in the DS.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

So they're still working on the email, meaning the fate of the Sonic comics is probably already decided?

Or potentially they're waiting on circumstances to resolve which will allow them to send out an e-mail update, like legal circumstances, etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

Exactly. If it was cancelled, we'd have been notified by now.