Awoo.

Archie Sonic Main Discussion

Toby

Four months of "talks" is quite a lot of talking. Is someone only checking their email once every 2 weeks?

Makes one wonder if there are any talks or if they're just saying that to bide time.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Lighthead said:

Four months of "talks" is quite a lot of talking. Is someone only checking their email once every 2 weeks?

It may have something to do with the ongoing Fulop lawsuit or maybe Archie and Sega trying to renegotiate contract terms or license fees, etc. These would both be things that take time--especially with that first potential cause being somewhat out of both companies' control. I don't think they're simply missing each other's e-mail messages or anything like that.

Also and for the record, what is the MySpace of Sonic Fansites?

38 minutes ago, Lighthead said:

Sonic HQ :0

Does that make "The GHZ" Friendster?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't help but wonder, even if the comics come back from this hiatus, will they survive much longer past that? Two major delays in one year is definitely gonna cut into subscriber numbers, doubly so if people aren't expecting it to last another year. This just came off the end of an extremely drawn-out arc. Genesis of a Hero is done for, IDK what the deal with Mega Drive ended up being. None of the upcoming arcs seem like a major draw for people who aren't already fans of the expanded comics cast. 

14 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Are they out? I know Archie's Twitter is currently dropping some of the new covers, but I've yet to see the full list.

They are now

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't care how hopeful some may be nearly 6 months without a issue or definite answers has done noting but hurt the series. Even if it comes back the damage is going to stick.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I can't help but wonder, even if the comics come back from this hiatus, will they survive much longer past that? Two major delays in one year is definitely gonna cut into subscriber numbers, doubly so if people aren't expecting it to last another year. This just came off the end of an extremely drawn-out arc. Genesis of a Hero is done for, IDK what the deal with Mega Drive ended up being. None of the upcoming arcs seem like a major draw for people who aren't already fans of the expanded comics cast. 

I've addressed the opposing perspective in at least one previous post. Subscriptions may indeed fall, but there may also be new subscribers in the form of lapsed readers whose attention has been drawn by all the delays. People may also subscribe from a "don't know what you've got 'till it's gone" perspective of renewed appreciation for the books. I also don't believe that sales are going to be hurt so far as off-the-rack sales go. People who pick up issues from the magazine rack probably don't even know what's been going on and will continue to be drawn by good cover art, etc., just as always is the case.

Mr. Hesse indicated that Mega Drive - Overdrive is completed, and it's post-delay release could bring int renewed interest or at least exposure for the ongoing books. Ian may well focus on smaller stories for a while, and even though the next arc is supposed to highlight the Freedom Fighters individually, it will also heavily feature the popular game characters on the covers as well as in the stories. The arc after that (I don't know if we've heard anything about it yet) could return the focus back on the game characters, telling more small stories as a further reprieve from the big arc we've recently come out of. I think a potentially recovery will in part depend on how the return is handled (and also how much the book is torn apart by its own fans). Not to mention that Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania will bring attention to the brand, and any associated comic tie-ins or adaptations will potentially make it easier to catch new readers who are potentially even new to the franchise as a whole. Speaking of which, Archie and Sega had better figure this all out before those games are released.

Anyway, these delays have not been a good thing, but if Archie, Sega, etc., can work things out, I think it's very possible that they could bounce back and even increase sales beyond what they've been recently. Many people are pessimistic, and many are are optimistically pessimistic (they want Archie to fail), but I don't think such an outlook is necessary.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is more of a post of hopeful reassurance rather than anything really newsworthy, but according to this picture from Sega's/Sonic's booth at the Licensing Global Team Meeting, it looks like they are still selling those Tomy figurines with the comic packs (they are down on the bottom left next to the sonic and metal sonic plushies).

Spoiler

1495633648185.jpg

Both appear to be Sonic Universe books, and the right one is issue 75, I can't make out the left issue though.

• Thumbs Up 5

I still don't understand how Sonic being on hiatus could cause it so much damage, and yet the Archie Horror titles are able to come back from God knows how many hiatuses and sell out prompting second printings every single time.

• Thumbs Up 6

Audience, Fat Panda. The people buying the Archie Horror series are likely teens/adults who will keep tabs on this sort of thing, whereas kids are far more likely to just move on. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh, snap. I just realized that you're you, Ved. I saw the new avatar, and I assumed you were new or something. I need to pay more attention.

It could also be argued that younger readers aren't going to notice the hiatus if they buy from store shelves and will be more likely to not hold a grudge against the Archie for the delays. I know that as a kid, I would've just been glad to have the comics back and maybe even increased my interest due to having missed them.

Edit: Wait. Who are you calling an audience? *Throws popcorn at screen*

• Thumbs Up 2

They wouldn't keep a grudge, but they wouldn't check to see if it was permanently stopped or not, hence why they would probably pick up something else in the meantime (and stick with it even after any hiatus was over) and Sonic would lose out. Kids have a lot more choice these days, which only exacerbates the situation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure there are actually that many kid-friendly comic books out there right now (though anyone can feel free to correct), and kids can be kind of fixated on the things they like (unlike us adults, ahem). I can see kids losing touch with the book releases, but if the kids have subscriptions via their parents, they're going to start getting books again automatically when the delays are over (assuming, &c.). Kids are also likely to potentially see the books on racks in stores again or hear from friends that a new issue's been released and jump right back in. I know when I was a kid, word of mouth was like that day's version of today's Internet.

I'm sure it won't be a perfect turnover, but I hardly expect a perfect drop-off either. And there's always the potential for new readers. Again, assuming the books come back and all that.

Edit: Off the top of my head, I think Marvel's "Spidey" is supposed to be kid-friendly. IDW also had the TMNT Amazing Adventures, but I think that's ending due to the related Nickelodeon show ending (and really, go read the Batman crossover if you haven't, or I guess you could wait for the trade paperback). IDW has the Disney comics too. There may be others, but you also have to take tonality into account: what would a Sonic reader also like reading? Probably not a My Little Pony book.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

This should give you an idea: http://www.kidscomics.com/Home/1/1/60/1046

Dude. Superman Adventures vol. 3 is out today? I really need to catch up on those DCAU tie-in comic trades. I read one on Kindle, and it was amazing, but paper is so much better.

Edit: Interesting website idea, and I fully support it, but if you click on anything, it just asks for your zip code so that it can tell you about nearby shops. :/

Minor update, Sonic #292 has joined #291 and #294 as issues listed as cancelled on the order form. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Minor update, Sonic #292 has joined #291 and #294 as issues listed as cancelled on the order form. 

And I'm sure 293 isn't far behind. Alternatively, they're axing the FF arcs and leaving 293 as-is, but I kinda doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 2

It actually wouldn't surprise me too much if some of the stories were changed upon the comics potential return, after the Archie #20 switch.

• Thumbs Up 3

@Ernest-Panda Was that the one with the original comic pages that still had the pencil indents from the text they had had to write over?

Edit: Wait, Archie #20? I must be thinking about something else.