Awoo.

Does anyone care about this game?

Badnik Mechanic

Lets look SSMB's current stats for upcoming Sonic games.

Sonic 4: 133 topics 13814 replies

Sonic Colours: 66 Topics 2873 Replies

Sonic Free Riders: 8 Topics 333 Replies (not including this one). 220 of those replies come from the main announcement topic.

The last person to post in this area was 3 days ago.

Free Riders is not a popular game right now. Which is odd since we know quite a lot about it, we've seen it in action, we've got an idea as to who is in it, we've seen various different uses for the kinect device, swimming, flying, hoverboarding etc. It's not like the Sonic 3DS game where we just have a title and nothing more. It's the 3rd title in a questionable series and It would be fair to say that not many people are that excited or care too much about this game.

Just now we've learned the price of Kinetic. It's going to cost £130 in the UK, $150 in the United States.

Riders as it stands right now is not included in any kind of Kinectic bundle (however I would be very surprised if there wasn't one come it's release). So £130 + I dunno.... lets be generous and say £30.... Potentially this game is going to cost you £160....

Other than the collectors who like getting every Sonic game regardless as to if they own the system, who is going to buy this? Unless you really want Kinect Adventures or Skittles.... mind you Dance Central is appealing... is anyone here seriously considering to purchase this and the means to play it?

For its own good, if it actually wants to make any money should we be asking for a Wii/PS Move port? Or are there mass numbers of people here that are going to buy it?

Edited by Gnasher

I'll get it when the Kinect is cheap... Maybe.

Or if theres a Wiimake, with GC/Classic control support.

Edited by MarcelloF

Free Riders is the first Sonic game that not even fans give a shit about. It's part of the mediocre Riders series, and is being released for a system that nobody wants to touch. I'd gladly buy a Wii or PSM port (when I get a PS3) but even then it's not appealing. I wonder how much more active this little section would be if ports already existed, or at least just regular controller support.

I really can't see this selling well at all. I'm guessing there won't be any kind of port either, since there's not enough people who want it.

Maybe when it's cheap. Maybe.

If the chance comes, yes. But mainly because I want to use it to torture my best friend with it :)

I think we all attribute Free Riders lack of popularity to Kinect. That price tag on that thing is a lot to choke down for an add-on. Just like the age old saying, “you don’t buy a console for 1 game”, the same is true for Free Riders and Kinect. Nobody is really going to go out of their way to acquire it if Kinect doesn’t live up to its promises on other fronts.

I was a supporter of the Riders series. It was a fun little romp for what it was. Free Riders just isn’t going to touch my radar until I decide yay instead of nay on Kinect. If I pay the price tag, than you can bet the first game I seek out will be Free Riders though.

For its own good, if it actually wants to make any money should we be asking for a Wii/PS Move port? Or are there mass numbers of people here that are going to buy it?

Sega announced it as a Kinect exclusive, so in my mind they are well prepared to eat the low sales of marketing to such an early and uninstalled base. They will probably consider it a success if it just averages higher than most of the other Kinect titles, which outside of Adventures (bundled) and Kinectimals (just a hunch) probably wont be that hard.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Guest Miles Per Hour

Let's see, it's for the Xbox 360 exclusively (When many people are switching to the PS3. Don't flame me for that) and it's for kinect that no one cares about. No controller support.... It doesn't sound very appealing. I can imagine the XBLA/PSN port of Sonic Adventure to get much more sales than this.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

After Zero Gravity, I have very little desire for another Riders game. Then there's the fact that I lack a 360 and have no interest in Kinect's controller free gameplay. This is possibly the least interested I've been in a Sonic title. Even less than the original Sega Superstars for the EyeToy.

Oh well. If I want to play a fun Sonic racing game, I always have Sega All-Stars Racing to turn to.

I just wondered how much Kinect was at Game, see if they had any other bundles... and I actually found something else...

Who would like to know what Sonic Free Riders RRP is? £50! The RRP for Sonic Free Riders is £50!!!!!

But it's ok... because Games website are offering a £10 discount so it currently only costs £40!

Now thats the online price, in store you can bet that will be higher!

As much as I love the Riders games and would hate to miss out on this one... no.

I don't have a 360, and I'm certainly not buying one and Kinect just for the sake of one game. Sorry, Sonic Team and Microsoft. D:

If they make a Wii version (unlikely), sure, I'll buy. Otherwise? Sadly, no.

I just wondered how much Kinect was at Game, see if they had any other bundles... and I actually found something else...

Who would like to know what Sonic Free Riders RRP is? £50! The RRP for Sonic Free Riders is £50!!!!!

But it's ok... because Games website are offering a £10 discount so it currently only costs £40!

Now thats the online price, in store you can bet that will be higher!

They do that with all Xbox 360 games, since GAME sell at full price they just try to make it look like you're saving something. Microsoft have said today that their first party Kinect games will be £39.99, so I expect the same with third party titles.

£129.99 for the device is just crazy, if I did get it I would get this game though.

Well, considering I'm totally uninterested in buying Kinect (except for Milo, though we haven't heard anything about that in over a year), and I think the Sonic Rider series is one of the reasons people view Sonic as a joke now adays... nah, I think I'll pass on this game.

Though I'd like Sonic's first outing on the Kinect to be a success. It looked kinda fun, in a "hey, look at me, I look like such a silly tool!" sort of way.

Edited by EXshad

I'm pretty interested in how this game is shaping up, but I'm mostly concerned with details like the character and track roster and a potential story mode... you know, things I can check out on Youtube. If I find a Kinect in a bargain bin a few years in the future I'd love to try Free Riders out, but as it is I can't be bothered. There are two other Sonic games coming out soon that look pretty good and don't require any new hardware for me to play, so not even a desperate need for a new Sonic fix could compel me to pick up Free Riders. It's a pity, really; it doesn't look all that bad.

...I might be interested in a Wii port or something, since that subject's been breached. I'm not counting on it, though.

but I'm mostly concerned with details like the character and track roster and a potential story mode... you know, things I can check out on Youtube.

On that note, a chance to check out the new VA's might be the biggest selling point the thing has for it right now.

Sega's marketing plan is starting to make sense.

I loved the original Riders game. Zero Gravity was a bit of a disappointment, but I still like the series overall. I wanted a new Riders game for the HD consoles.

The issue is that this isn't the new HD Riders game I wanted. Not only is it only for the Xbox 360 (which I've had interest in, but don't own personally at the moment), but it's also a Kinect exclusive. If I were to get a Kinect this certainly would be the number one game I'd get for it, definitely. But.. is it really worth getting Kinect; an already mediocre looking piece of hardware, for Free Riders; a Sonic game that doesn't look particularly great anyway? I don't think so.

A PlayStation Move or Wii 'port' would interest me a bit more, but given the Kinect technology, it'd be less a port and just be an entirely different game. I'll admit I lack any real knowledge of how Kinect works, but a port doesn't seem possible.

I'm interested in the game, particularly as I haven't played a Riders game yet. Problem is, I'm not interested in the control method. If they add controller support, I'll get it, otherwise it'll have to be a game I'll never play.

It's not even down to my lack of interest in motion control, though that is a factor. I literally do not have the room (or money) for Kinect.

I'm not buying it by a long shot. Neither of the Sonic Riders games came off as a fun, well made racing game. In fact I was shocked that they're even making another one!

If someone handed me a free 360 and Kinect, then sure, I'd pay for Free Riders.

Until then, I'll just let this one slide.

Never. Not only does the game itself look like a shameless plug for the Kinect and doesn't try to live up to what the Rider's series COULD be, but the fact that it's also on an unappealing and expensive piece of hardware that I doubt many people would want to buy in the first place, this game would NEED a port to other consoles for me to even think of the possibility of renting it.

Even if someone handed me a free 360 and Kinect, I STILL wouldn't really want to play it because the control scheme for the hardware does not look fun at all, and even if it were on a more appealing control scheme, the game itself looks bland and boring to play compared to the first Riders.

Edited by Black Spy

Other than the collectors who like getting every Sonic game regardless as to if they own the system, who is going to buy this? Unless you really want Kinect Adventures or Skittles.... mind you Dance Central is appealing... is anyone here seriously considering to purchase this and the means to play it?

I am this man to whom you refer; the one with considerably more money than sense and presumably therefore the one person in the world to whom the Free Riders is aimed - 'cos I damn sure wouldn't buy a Kinect without the prospect of a Sonic game exclusive.

But I will buy it with a grimace and will probably sell my Kinect back to Gamestop the moment I 100% Free Riders. :\

Even as big of a Riders nut as I am, I can't see myself shelling out the money for Kinect just for it. Plus, from what we've seen so far, the title looks to be the safest in the series, completely lacking the speed and competitive edge that made the first Riders a blast for me. The most I can say about it is that it seems like a cute and loyal installment. And if it had conventional controller support, I'd probably forgo the look of the first level and buy it anyways because I always do that. But as Kinect exclusive? No.

And it's so disappointing too. I was waiting for a third Riders, just not like this. xP

Each Riders game progressively becomes less of a racing game and more of some kind of strange slalom like exercise in hitting all the gimmicks that make you go faster. I already get enough of that from Kart games, I don't need nothing but that + goofy motion controls.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't think it's worth investing in Kinect for either, especially not at the recent £129.99 price revelation. As for the series, Riders 1 was a fun game imo, though I bought the second for Wii and really didn't enjoy it. I think there are far bigger games at hand than this, and to me it seems like SEGA are only making it as a cash in. It'll probably be one of the best selling Kinect games at launch, purely because it's Sonic (and because it doesn't really have a heck of a lot of competition, to be honest.)

I don't have a 360, but either way, my honestly opinion is that it probably won't play very well once it hits the shelves. I'd like to get a 360 in the future with a Kinect, but even if so, I don't think this game would be on my list of games I'd want to get. Never really been a big Riders fan, though I had some great fun with the first for like 2 weeks.

-Blur

No, I don't own a 360 and I'm not interested in the motion control fad yet. There's no way in hell I'm flushing $400+ for Riders 1 HD with motion control.