Awoo.

Does anyone care about this game?

Badnik Mechanic

You could have asked me bro XD

I'll play with you too Aquaslash B)

Not interested in this game sorry to say. I've never been a fan of the Riders games, and found them mediocre at best.

It's really sad to see this game only for 360....

as everyone said, bad move for Sega to make this game Xbox exclusive.

To be honest, I want to play this game...

I really want it...

I loved the Riders series and the fact that you can play as many characters.

Free Riders even allow Metal Sonic, Vector, and more...

I have the 360 but cannot afford Kinect... and if I were to buy Kinect, I would not have money to buy Sonic Free Riders for a long....long time...

I would hope that Microsoft is smart about the pricing and lower it...

also Sega needs to reconsider this game as being a Xbox exclusive and move it to Wii and PS3.

Being a Wii owner as well, heck, I'll buy an extra Wii Balance Board if I need to for Co-Op. It's 3 times cheaper than Kinect of course.

The only thing we all can do is wait and listen to the great music this game has to offer.

It's really sad to see this game only for 360....

as everyone said, bad move for Sega to make this game Xbox exclusive.

I don't think it's a bad move at all, nor is it "sad" to see an exclusive for the 360.

Wii has more than its share of boarder-based racing games, as well as a number of exclusive Sonic titles. SEGA probably isn't very interested in bringing Riders back to the Wii, considering the system already has had SASASR and Colors this year. An additional Wii Riders game would have been, if anything, a step back from the current Wii Sonic releases and a step sideways from the Wii version of Zero Gravity. At most, a Wii version would have added balance board and online play (which is not nearly as advanced as XBOX Live).

At least with the Kinect version there is a step forward for the series by way of improved graphics, online multiplayer, voice chat, voice control and full body controls. Take a look around the forums, thanks to Free Riders, a number of folks who were hesitant about Kinect have pre-ordered just to play a new Sonic game.

"sad" and "bad" choice, it is not.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it's a bad move at all, nor is it "sad" to see an exclusive for the 360.

Wii has more than its share of boarder-based racing games, as well as a number of exclusive Sonic titles. SEGA probably isn't very interested in bringing Riders back to the Wii, considering the system already has had SASASR and Colors this year. An additional Wii Riders game would have been, if anything, a step back from the current Wii Sonic releases and a step sideways from the Wii version of Zero Gravity. At most, a Wii version would have added balance board and online play (which is not nearly as advanced as XBOX Live).

At least with the Kinect version there is a step forward for the series by way of improved graphics, online multiplayer, voice chat, voice control and full body controls. Take a look around the forums, thanks to Free Riders, a number of folks who were hesitant about Kinect have pre-ordered just to play a new Sonic game.

"sad" and "bad" choice, it is not.

It may not have been a "bad" for reaching the game's full potential as most of the features wouldn't have been successful on another console, however from a business standpoint it's very unwise and totally unlike Sega. Since going multi-platform Sega has been very adamant about getting it's games on as many machines as possible to maximize profit, even if the game had to be compromised to some extent, ie. Unleashed Wii and Bayonetta PS3.

Common knowledge is that the previous riders games sold the best on non MS consoles and ZG didn't even get an Xbox port. The vast majority of the fans are on other consoles, however they decided to limit the game to a mostly unfamiliar demographic of 360 owners. And on top of that it's only to be available to those who a willing to spend $150+ on an experimental gameplay gimmick. All of the success of this game is riding on a gamble with the Kinect's extremely limited market.

Edited by Da Goddamn BatGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

improved graphics, online multiplayer, voice chat, voice control and full body controls

"Improved graphics"

I bought Sonic 4 on Wii instead for Xbox... it didn't affect gameplay, why should it to Free Riders?

Graphics isn't all that important. (of course unless you're one to those people)

"voice chat"

Wii Speak

"voice control"

ok I admit that is cool but still... that's it?

"full body controls"

You still have to do that with the Wii Remotes and the Wii Balance Board.

Yeah, you need those to play a game but oh well?

Out of all of that, the only extra feature is the voice control function...

The Wii can handle the rest perfectly fine :l

As for online play, sure Wii still has a problem with that but is it really necessary?

I can handle ghost data for this game like I handled with Zero Gravity.

The only thing that I know it maybe impossible is the co-op play since it would be awkward.

It's the only feature I would want to try out for Free Riders.

Again, I'm still planning to buy the game...just not as soon as it releases and such....maybe next Christmas.

• Bad Quality Post 1

At least with the Kinect version there is a step forward for the series by way of improved graphics, online multiplayer, voice chat, voice control and full body controls.

I loled.

Take a look around the forums, thanks to Free Riders, a number of folks who were hesitant about Kinect have pre-ordered just to play a new Sonic game.

Shit in a box. Sold over a million copies.

Keep things in perspective with those statements, because they really mean absolutely nothing. There are times where I suspect people on this board would happily pay for a literal kick in the nuts if it was done by someone who was vaguely related to the Sonic franchise.

Edited by Tornado

Being a Wii owner as well, heck, I'll buy an extra Wii Balance Board if I need to for Co-Op. It's 3 times cheaper than Kinect of course.

Wii only supports one Balance Board at a time.

I think everyone who wants a port is forgetting that this game was built for Kinect and is supposed to be helping sell Kinect, so porting it to other systems, at Kinect's launch at least, would not help sell Kinect at all. That's the basic fact and Kinect is selling out in most places, so SEGA isn't exactly supporting a dead donkey.

It may not have been a "bad" for reaching the game's full potential as most of the features wouldn't have been successful on another console, however from a business standpoint it's very unwise and totally unlike Sega. Since going multi-platform Sega has been very adamant about getting it's games on as many machines as possible to maximize profit, even if the game had to be compromised to some extent, ie. Unleashed Wii and Bayonetta PS3.

Common knowledge is that the previous riders games sold the best on non MS consoles and ZG didn't even get an Xbox port. The vast majority of the fans are on other consoles, however they decided to limit the game to a mostly unfamiliar demographic of 360 owners. And on top of that it's only to be available to those who a willing to spend $150+ on an experimental gameplay gimmick. All of the success of this game is riding on a gamble with the Kinect's extremely limited market.

I love me my SEGA, but I gotta say that "un-wise business decisions" is one of their defining characteristics. I love 'em for it, despite said decisions sometimes failing hard. ;)

The first Riders was a Gamecube game more than anything else, so not selling well on the XBOX/PS2 was kind of a given. Did any XBOX/PS2 Sonic game ever outsell a Gamecube version? It was my understanding that the Gamecube was the home for Sonic while the other consoles received the less popular ports.

As for ZG not being on the 360, the 360 was in full swing at that point. Porting a PS2/Wii game to the 360 probably would have been too much for the team, as it wouldn't have been a straight port nor would it have been up to snuff with other 360 games at the time. They would have had to add a lot just to make it seem more like a 360 game. Had the original XBOX been around, I think a Zero G port would have happened. Note that the PS3 was around at the time, but it never saw a port either. Only the PS2 received one.

As for Kinect being a gimmick and having a limited market, that remains to be seen. Pre-orders are very strong, and if anything Free Riders will sell more as a Kinect game then it ever would as a controller-only 360 game.

Shit in a box. Sold over a million copies.

Keep things in perspective with those statements, because they really mean absolutely nothing. There are times where I suspect people on this board would happily pay for a literal kick in the nuts if it was done by someone who was vaguely related to the Sonic franchise.

KITN.png

I really don't see what you are arguing. You aren't actually saying anything against the statement.

• Thumbs Up 1

As for ZG not being on the 360, the 360 was in full swing at that point. Porting a PS2/Wii game to the 360 probably would have been too much for the team, as it wouldn't have been a straight port nor would it have been up to snuff with other 360 games at the time. They would have had to add a lot just to make it seem more like a 360 game. Had the original XBOX been around, I think a Zero G port would have happened. Note that the PS3 was around at the time, but it never saw a port either. Only the PS2 received one.

Let's not forget that ZG was originally only made for Wii and was only released on that console in Japan :P The game was ported to PS2 for the rest of the world. So, it's not like this exclusivity thing hasn't nearly happened before.

I really don't see what you are arguing. You aren't actually saying anything against the statement.

All I can tell you is read his whole post (not just the bit I quoted) and then read mine.

That particular statement carried the implication (because of the theme of the rest of the post) that Free Riders must have some inherent merit, because Sonic fans who originally had no plans of buying Kinect now do plan on buying Kinect just to play Free Riders.

And I totally saved that picture.

Edited by Tornado

All I can tell you is read his whole post (not just the bit I quoted) and then read mine.

That particular statement carried the implication (because of the theme of the rest of the post) that Free Riders must have some inherent merit, because Sonic fans who originally had no plans of buying Kinect now do plan on buying Kinect just to play Free Riders.

And I totally saved that picture.

I am more or less a case in point here. I was on the fence about kinect, and probably wouldn't have bought it at launch. That's now changed thanks to Free Riders, so yeah. It's a mildly successful tactic.

Perhaps in a few years, we'll forget about wanting Free Riders on Wii, it's more than likely that the Wii will end up with another one at SOME POINT, maybe even with Balance Board to boot, and MAYBE even with recycled stuff from Free Riders, point is, it's not crazy to think the Wii has seen the last of the Riders name with ZG.

In all honesty, how many folks want the game JUST because... of the new voices?

*raises hand*

Most will get that fill thanks to YouTube, and via MP3's for the music. :P

I guess Zero Gravity on its own is a good enough Riders fix for Wii owners for a while longer, they're all the same otherwise sans voicework and whatnot. :P

Playing as Vector and Metal Sonic would be cool though.

Edited by Hero of Legend

@Tornado and Golden~Hedgy:

type "lol" and find ways to pick apart my statement all you want, but in the end "improved graphics, online multiplayer, voice chat, voice control and full body controls" all ARE improvements to the Riders series. I really don't see how they could be argued otherwise.

"improved graphics"

I know that this has nothing to do with gameplay, it's aesthetics. But I don't see how an aesthetic improvement is a bad thing. The game will be in HD, HD Sonic looks great. I still play non-HD games myself and enjoy them, but it's always a plus to have that extra definition. Sonic Unleashed (day stages) and Sonic 4 come to mind when I think of HD Sonic games that are so good looking you want to play a foot from the tv screen.

"online multiplayer"

This is a definite improvement for the series. If you've played a game on PSN or XBL, you'll know what I'm talking about. Ghost races have nothing on a realtime race.

"voice chat"

Again, in-game voice chat is a lot of fun as evidenced in SASASR.

"voice control"

Not necessary, but its nice that it was implemented. Just another way to navigate the game.

"full body controls"

Yes, this can be done with Wii Remotes and the Wii Balance Board, but honestly I'd prefer not to have a controller on one wrist whilst leaning on a square of plastic. After reading impressions of Monkey Ball Step & Roll and Tony Hawk Ride, I'm not too sure a balance board would even be an improvement over Kinect. Let's not forget that the price of a balance board is expensive. Not as expensive as Kinect but at least Kinect does more than simply registering leans. Again, Kinect does not appeal to everybody but I do think Free Riders is worthy of some praise for providing a variety of motion controls. Whether all those controls work as a whole remains to be seen, but preview videos look to show people generally enjoying it and users seem to be able to play through a race without becoming frustrated. "F-ng ring can won't shake!!! ARGH!!!!" ;)

As for an option to play with a standard controller, a part of me wished Free Riders implemented this but I have to wonder how they would deal with translating the many actions to the controller. Leaning and launching weapons could work out fine, but additional arm movement and the ability to angle weapon attacks would probably be gimped. Also, if I want to play a SEGA racing game with my controller, I'd rather eject Free Riders and pop in SASASR or OutRun Online Arcade.

Edited by Doctor Eggman
  • Thumbs Up 1

You raise a good point. How WOULD you extend your arms for grabbing rings with a controller? Perhaps with all the depth this game has in controls, using a controller would be needlessly complicated.

You raise a good point. How WOULD you extend your arms for grabbing rings with a controller?

Using the right analog stick or shoulder buttons, maybe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Using the right analog stick or shoulder buttons, maybe.

If we're not just talking 360 controller, tilting would also work.

I'll be honest: I didn't give a single shit about this game until I realized that pretty much the entire Sonic cast's new voices will be revealed.

(I don't have an Xbox 360 anyway)

I'll be honest: I didn't give a single shit about this game until I realized that pretty much the entire Sonic cast's new voices will be revealed.

(I don't have an Xbox 360 anyway)

Aside from the three people here that plan on getting Kinect and this game, that opinion is shared by pretty much everyone.

Edited by Blue Blood

In all honesty, I loved the original Riders but the flailing sections of the game just turn me off altogether in the same way generic Wiimote waggle does. If they outright got rid of those sections or offered some controller support, I would've bought this game right on the spot, but as it stands the usual Kinect faggery isn't really giving me a positive outlook on this game.

I'm gonna laugh if this game becomes a sleeper hit for the Sonic Fans :V

It does look a bit like a fangasim-in-a-box, what with all the playable characters (introducing more teams into the story mode) and a chance to hear the new voices, so I doubt it would be a stretch to imagine that Sonic fans will find something to like here. If anything, just getting behind the board of your favorite character is enough to get most people some enjoyment.

The real question here is weather or not it will be a good game. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Free Riders will be largely compared to the other Kinect titles, which has this game looking on the up and up.

It's not one of the top games I'm looking forward to right now. The main reason why I'm disinterested in it cause you need the Kinect in order to play it and the motion controls is a huge turn off for me.

I'm mostly interested in hearing what the new voice cast sounds like.