Awoo.

Alice: Madness Returns

Badnik Mechanic

Ten years ago, a masterful PC title was released that has since been a cult hit. That game was American McGees Alice, SSMB actually has a topic about it. Not many people have played it. But those who have constantly rate it.

Last year, there were rumours of a sequel,

alice-2-art-530.jpg

Nearly one year on.... something has arrived, and it's very very official.

Alice: Madness Returns is real, Spicy Horse is behind it and it's due for release in 2011 on PS3, PC and Xbox 360. The press release tells us that 'the game follows Alice on a journey through a wildly corrupted and shattered Wonderland to uncover the truth behind her haunted past and tortured psyche. In this journey, players will romp through highly-detailed elaborate worlds, encounter a cast of off-beat characters and engage in epic battles with deadly weapons and sinister villains. '

It actually takes 10 years after the original (just like real life then.) So Alice is older than the previous game and it's reflected in her design, even if she is wearing the same clothes.

Jjudging from the screens it looks like it'll be a return to the Wonderland environments that we've grown up with, only everything thats 'alive' looks dead or decaying. Check out the card soldiers who have body parts missing and skulls for heads.

Theres a short teaser trailer which is.... disturbing.

Now for some screens.

amr-01screen.jpg

amr-03screen.jpg

Wow those are big... the rest of them can be found here.

• Thumbs Up 1

:D :D :D :D :D

FINALLY SOME BLOODY INFO!

Now I am pumped! I hope this comes out soon. I've waited too long for this game to even have info that isn't concept art.

Thanks for the tip Cas. :D

Edited by Funeral Raven

I never played the original, but I'm certainly looking forward to this from what I've seen now.

I'll probably play the other one first, though.

the cards are scaring the living shit out of me.

I never played the first one, always wanted too, but i'm sure as hell getting this.

of course, i'm sure as hell getting War for Cybertron, L4D2, Mass Effect 1/2, and Halo 3.

so my mileage may vary.

It... It's BEAUTIFUL

I've never played the original but I've wanted to for years, this is hot on my 'must buy' list.

Wow, this sounds really really cool. I heard the old one was cool in concept, but poor in execution, I hope this one is actually fun to play n' all. It's art style, look & feel has really grabbed my attention, however.

Never played the original I loved the original so I'm going to get this.

I hope Roger L. Jackson returns as the Cheshire Cat. He's really hot.

I heard the old one was cool in concept, but poor in execution

There's nothing wrong with Alice's gameplay. Maybe people were thrown off by the fact that it controls like an FPS. Swimming, however, shattered my nerves due to how troublesome it was to navigate through water, though I'm not sure if it was the game's fault or just my general fear of entering water in the game.

.............This made an amazing day even better. I fucking loved the first game, and this game is high on my must-by list right now, like in the top 3. The first one was great and this one so far looks amazing. <3

Keeping my eyes very closely on this.

Also, some concept art released as well as the website showing several new and old characters drawn on cards in the background. Hope Cheshire Cat is as sexy as ever~

AMR-01.jpg?cb=1279656739

AMR-02.jpg?cb=1279656729

AMR-03.jpg?cb=1279656736

AMR-06.jpg?cb=1279656736

AMR-05.jpg?cb=1279656732

AMR-04.jpg?cb=1279656730

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Also, some concept art released as well as the website showing several new and old characters drawn on cards in the background. Hope Cheshire Cat is as sexy as ever~

<insert pretty pictures here>

From the look of the concept art it looks like a re imagining of the original. The clock and tea is obviously the Hatter and the fleshy place is

The Red Queen. Also the tentacles seen in various places is hers btw.

Also the card guards look like they've been reanimated. But since this is Alice going back to madness well

The Mad Hatter might revert back to his time obsessed mad scientist like the if the original game's ending didn't happen. 'Cept he would only be deader.

I wonder if the March Hare and Dormouse will be back in those contraptions. :(

Edited by Funeral Raven

From the look of the concept art it looks like a re imagining of the original. The clock and tea is obviously the Hatter and the fleshy place is

The Red Queen. Also the tentacles seen in various places is hers btw.

Also the card guards look like they've been reanimated. But since this is Alice going back to madness well

The Mad Hatter might revert back to his time obsessed mad scientist like the if the original game's ending didn't happen. 'Cept he would only be deader.

I wonder if the March Hare and Dormouse will be back in those contraptions. :(

Well not a remake since the press release officially states the story, levels, and such such is all new and that it follows Alice after the end of the first game when she's released from the Asylum and now has a psychiatrist to help her get back into good condition but as she goes down the dark streets of London the world begins to blur into madness and she ends up in the world of Wonderland to find the answers to the fire that killed her parents, her own sanity, and the reoccurring twisted world that has become Alice's mind if there ever is an escape. The psychiatrist if I could have a guess will probably think Wonderland is a bunch of nonsense, we're talking 1700-1800's psychiatrist back when the medical world was much more... Cruel.

However this is Wonderland. It is unsure if it's a real place or in Alice's mind but the only thing certain is it's connected to Alice. The Mad Hatter and Red Queen may be as undead or even still alive, after all Wonderland is mad. It doesn't need to follow the rules of death for the real world, it all might just get curiouser and curiouser...

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Yes! Yes! and YES!

The original was so incredibly awesome plus I love anything Alice in wonderland and also weird trippy stuff, so this game is perfect! and on consoles too so I will be able to play it!!

Funny story my friend wouldn't play the first Alice game without a light on in his room!

Can't wait for this game!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

lolwat.

This game warps an old child and peaceful story into a corrupted, macabre slaughterhouse XD

Love the redesign of the Red Cards.

Edited by Nathan Evo 2.0 (Blue Wisp)

This game warps an old child and peaceful story into a corrupted, macabre slaughterhouse XD

Urm.... I don't know what book you've been reading, but Alices adventures in Wonderland isn't exactly your nice childrens story, I studied it a bit when my BTEC (A level era) group had to do it for a play.

The story itself contains many dark overtures and has a very dark history and build up. For instance the Mad Hatter, he's called the Mad Hatter because at the time it was an insult/slang term for a specific type of person. Charles Dobson (the man who wrote the book), took the character from a man who ran a local furniture store. However, the name Mad Hatter was given to a mentally disabled person who had become poisoned by chemical stimulats being absorbed into the brain.

The dyes they used to make colourful hats (much like the one that Mad Hatter wears) used to be highly poisonus to humans, so applying it directly to the head was not a good idea. It resulted in long term brain damage resulting in mental decay... hence the name 'mad hatter'.

The Hatter himself is prone to fits of wild anger and violence, when Alice leaves the party, the last sight of the Hatter is him and the march hair trying to force the doormouse back into a tea pot.

The queen who yells "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" whilst we laugh about it, she's really going to do it, capital punishment was still the way to go when Dodgeson wrote the book. She is a character that will kill people first ask questions later.

Now whilst this was the norm back in the day, theres a lot of drug taking and experimental drink tasting going on, Alice, who is only a girl takes various drinks and whitnesses characters taking drugs during pretty much every scene. Once could argue that Alice never finds wonderland, she herself has been taking drugs and has had an overdorse the book itself is her manifestations whilst under the chemical high.

But in the general sense, a lot of fairy tales and childrens stories do have a sense of reality in them and some of them are not know for being too nice an origin.

That and... it would be a quite crappy sequel if the state of wonderland had not gotten worse from how we left it.

Is that Jackson's voice at the very end of the trailer? If not, then it's pretty damn convincing.

Urm.... I don't know what book you've been reading, but Alices adventures in Wonderland isn't exactly your nice childrens story, I studied it a bit when my BTEC (A level era) group had to do it for a play.

The story itself contains many dark overtures and has a very dark history and build up. For instance the Mad Hatter, he's called the Mad Hatter because at the time it was an insult/slang term for a specific type of person. Charles Dobson (the man who wrote the book), took the character from a man who ran a local furniture store. However, the name Mad Hatter was given to a mentally disabled person who had become poisoned by chemical stimulats being absorbed into the brain.

The dyes they used to make colourful hats (much like the one that Mad Hatter wears) used to be highly poisonus to humans, so applying it directly to the head was not a good idea. It resulted in long term brain damage resulting in mental decay... hence the name 'mad hatter'.

The Hatter himself is prone to fits of wild anger and violence, when Alice leaves the party, the last sight of the Hatter is him and the march hair trying to force the doormouse back into a tea pot.

The queen who yells "OFF WITH HIS HEAD!" whilst we laugh about it, she's really going to do it, capital punishment was still the way to go when Dodgeson wrote the book. She is a character that will kill people first ask questions later.

Now whilst this was the norm back in the day, theres a lot of drug taking and experimental drink tasting going on, Alice, who is only a girl takes various drinks and whitnesses characters taking drugs during pretty much every scene. Once could argue that Alice never finds wonderland, she herself has been taking drugs and has had an overdorse the book itself is her manifestations whilst under the chemical high.

But in the general sense, a lot of fairy tales and childrens stories do have a sense of reality in them and some of them are not know for being too nice an origin.

That and... it would be a quite crappy sequel if the state of wonderland had not gotten worse from how we left it.

You're being too realistic Hogfather :P

What does it matter if this book has drugs, capital punishment and stuff like that? We've already told this story to children a lot of times. What has be done can't be undone, and with modern-day rules the children seem to like that.

What does it matter if this book has drugs, capital punishment and stuff like that?

Well for one thing if the book has allusions and themes to that degree it makes excellent foundations for a cracking game.

We've already told this story to children a lot of times. What has be done can't be undone, and with modern-day rules the children seem to like that.

We also tell Greek Myths to children, those things are filled with murder, violence, sex and the supernatural. Never stopped God of War. We just leave out the nasty bits when reading to kids.

What does it matter if this book has drugs, capital punishment and stuff like that? We've already told this story to children a lot of times. What has be done can't be undone, and with modern-day rules the children seem to like that.

There is so much wrong with that logic.

Let's put it in a different light for a moment.

What does it matter if this movie has drugs, capital punishment and stuff like that? They'll look it up on the internet anyways. What has be done can't be undone, and with modern-day rules the children seem to like that.

Not quite right, is it?

Kids hear a romanticized version of the story, one without all them drugs and stuff. Honestly, American McGee actually made a game that would fit into the original story, and it would fit in actually very well.

I've read the two Alice stories many times. To those who are doubting it, they are aimed at children, as Carroll originally wrote Alice as a sort of tribute to a young girl he was friends with and told this story to.

I've read the two Alice stories many times. To those who are doubting it, they are aimed at children, as Carroll originally wrote Alice as a sort of tribute to a young girl he was friends with and told this story to.

I don't think anyone is doubting they were for a child. But so is "ring around the rosie" and that's about attempting to cure the black plague through methods that obviously will not work and then dying.

They're pretty bad all the same, and generally people don't know how bad they are until they're old enough to read the books themselves. And even then, the most Alice children get is the Disney movie.