Awoo.

goku262002

http://tv.ign.com/articles/110/1107556p1.html

legendofkorrapress12797.jpg

Nickelodeon has just greenlit a new animated series from Avatar: the Last Airbender creators Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. According to the network's president, Brown Johnson, the series-- currently titled The Legend of Korra-- will be expanding the mythology of the Avatar franchise, setting it roughly 70 years after the original show's events with a whole new cast of characters.

"Mike and Bryan have imagined a compelling new story inspired by the Airbender mythology that they so brilliantly crafted when the TV series began," Johnson said. "This new avatar is not only a girl, but also hot-headed, independent and ready to take on the world."

The Legend of Korra follows the adventures of a "passionate, rebellious and fearless" teenager from the Southern Water Tribe, a girl named Korra. Having already mastered three of the four elements (Earth, Water, and Fire), she seeks to master the final element of Air. Her travels eventually lead her to the metropolis of Republic City, an epicenter for the modern Avatar world. Although a thriving society of benders and non-benders alike, Republic City is also ridden with crime, including an anti-bending rebellion that is gaining momentum. Under the guidance of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training as she confronts the dangers ahead of her.

The Legend of Korra will be produced at Nickelodeon Animation Studios and is expected to begin airing sometime in 2011.

...AWESOME!!! that is all.

Discuss.

Edited by goku262002

Wait hold on. It's only been 70 years. Aang would be like 80 something.

This is a cartoon. Nobody important dies before they turn 150. How is there a new Avatar.

in other words hey hope it's good

hope m. night keeps his damned paws off

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes! An actual reason to watch Nick again. :D

I friggin loved the first series.

Under the guidance of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training as she confronts the dangers ahead of her.

Under the guidance of Aang's son, Tenzin,

Aang's son, Tenzin

c.jpg?t=1279769668

When they shipped Aang and Katara they weren't kidding, were they?

"This new avatar is not only a girl, but also hot-headed, independent and ready to take on the world."

Gee wiz, never saw THAT one before!

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 4

I hope it's better than the first series. I just watched it and I must say, it wasn't as amazing as everyone made it out to be.

Edited by eboni
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope it's better than the first series. I just watched it and I must say, it wasn't as amazing as everyone made it out to be.

Weirdo. :P

Like I said in the anime topic, the first series focused a lot of traveling the world but this seems to be centered around the one city. It's a big change and I'm a bit wary. I'm not sure I like Aang's son being Korra's mentor either, it would be cool to have him or Aang as a cameo but this seems a little odd. Still, the first series was brilliant, one of the best cartoons of recent years and possibly all time, so I find it hard not to trust that this will be no less than the same. I'm very excited to finally have a reason to turn on my television besides Futurama.

I knew I should have made a topic instead of posting the news in the Anime thread! D:

Anyhow, I'm very intrigued by this series and I look forward to seeing it in 2011.

And I hope the humor is improved in the new series. The only thing I've hated about Avatar was the childish and corny humor. I dunno, for me I thought it seemed out of place in the show's setting. Maybe it's just me, because I've seen and met a lot of people who claimed the humor was great. Different tastes maybe? :unsure:

I'll admit though, the final season and the chibi short's humor gave me some laughs a few times.

Edited by Inferno da danged recolor

What a pleasant surprise. I was expecting the blue aliens... I hated that movie. But this is awesome. Gives me a reason to turn on the TV that DOESN'T involve an RPG or music game.

Sweeeeeeeeeet. I really enjoyed the first series, will be watching this one as well.

Aang's son, huh? 70 years doesn't seem like a long enough time for him to have passed away, I'm guessing that'll eventually get explained at some point.

This is awesome. The first was a masterpiece of animation and I couldn't get enough of it. I trust the team knows what they're doing with this, but the whole scope change might take a bit of adjusting. The characters will make or break it. The first's crew will be hard to top.

• Thumbs Up 1

"This new avatar is not only a girl, but also hot-headed, independent and ready to take on the world."

Oh, great. <_< This is why I tend to hate most female protagonists, they are always the same. It's annoying.

Not sure what I think about the rest. I would've rather seen a direct follow up to the show. Didn't Zuko want to look for his mom at the end? I would've like seeing that.

A new Avatar cartoon?

FUCK YEAH! And here I thought they were ending it completely.

Aang and Katara's son, Tenzin huh? Let's see how this turns out.

God damn, you fail. :P

Hmm... I'm a big fan of the original, so I'm really happy about this. I'm glad that it's taking the series in a somewhat different direction by having the Avatar this time be more experienced and (if the assumptions are correct) limiting the scope somewhat. I'm also a sucker for seeing settings change over long periods of time, so the eighty-year time skip is a nice touch as well.

I've got to agree that the protagonist is sounding pretty generic, though. I really hope that that's just because the person writing the blurb was an idiot. "Independent and hot-headed", really? I don't think those have been unusual traits for a female character to have since before I was born.

Hmm... I'm a big fan of the original, so I'm really happy about this. I'm glad that it's taking the series in a somewhat different direction by having the Avatar this time be more experienced and (if the assumptions are correct) limiting the scope somewhat. I'm also a sucker for seeing settings change over long periods of time, so the eighty-year time skip is a nice touch as well.

No doubt the world is going to look somewhat similar to our modern age seeing how the Fire Nation was the most technologically advanced nation during Aang's time. Blimps, tanks, submarines (well that was Eater/Earth Nation), and what else? Who knows what might be in this world.

It already looks like a full blown city in that picture, complete with skyscrapers and the likes. Structures like those weren't too common in Aang's time, and I find it cool that despite being more like urban skyscrapers the building retain their oriental look.

I'm kinda sad that it's likely Appa's probably died by this point, making the Air Bisons extinct. :(

I've got to agree that the protagonist is sounding pretty generic, though. I really hope that that's just because the person writing the blurb was an idiot. "Independent and hot-headed", really? I don't think those have been unusual traits for a female character to have since before I was born.

I'm expecting something unique at the very least from this new protagonist. But "Independent and Hot-headed"...yeah, really bland way to go about a character.

She looks nice from the back tho...and no I didn't mean that sexually, pervs. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

You know what? Now I'm kinda pissed that they announced it.

Why? Because I'm too fucking impatient to wait for it. Any other series I would've been fine with it, but this is Avatar! I can't fucking wait! 2011 sounds like a big payoff year, but damn I've never been this energized with something.

A trailer at the very least or something, I wanna see some action goddammit! :(

Aww..no Na'vi? Oh well, this is better news anyways. The first series of Avatar was awesome, so i can't wait for this one

God damn, you fail. :P

It was a good show, but it wasn't amazing for me. I dunno... maybe somewhere it fell short for me. Ah, figures... there's always one oddball.

It was a good show, but it wasn't amazing for me. I dunno... maybe somewhere it fell short for me. Ah, figures... there's always one oddball.

Meh...people think for themselves, s'not a bad thing.

I hope this series runs as long as the previous installment, or longer if possible. I would really feel cheaped out if it was so good but so short. Not that I'm expecting them to make it short, but I just wanted to voice my thoughts.

I just realised something. If it has been 70 or so years would'nt that mean Momo is dead? FFFFFFFFF. There had better have an animal as awesome as Momo. He was the OG.

Oh no...I can already see the crazy Avatar shippers fapping furiously to this and the fact that Aang had a son. XD

And I'm backing Eboni up on this when I say that Avatar was a decent show on a channel drowning in teenybopper crap, but not the show. The constant nomadic theme it had going while trying to fix a long running problem is something I've always enjoyed, anime, drama, or what not, so it had more of my attention than say, the latest episodes of Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents. I also wish I saw more of it as I honestly thought it was canceled because of how wonky the showing were in its first run, so I never really got too in to it.

I really hope this lives up to the original... I can't wait, anyways. I STILL watch the reruns when they're on, I love this show so much. It better be freaking early 2011!

Didn't see that coming.

Her travels eventually lead her to the metropolis of Republic City, an epicenter for the modern Avatar world.

What? No more walking the earth?

Why are people so upset that the main character sounds generic and cliche? I thought everyone would be used to it by now! :P

Seriously though, there are plenty of characters and parts in the last Avatar that seem unoriginal on paper (Aang and Zuko come to mind.) and yet the series managed to make them enjoyable, So what's the big deal? The show's creators know what they're doing and I trust that they'll make Korra an interesting character

'Sides, better independant gal than a OMG i'm leik so pretty gal. I'm looking at you, Totally Spies.

Edited by Inferno da danged recolor

I'm hoping at the very least that they set her apart and make her unique with the whole "hot-headed, independent" traits. Although, I'm not really all to bothered by it at all.

Aang and Zuko aren't exactly characters you can find anywhere...or if they are, then there's quite a charm to them that I find unique (that for some reason, I can't seem to make out of them). I just hope that they manage to give Korra her own charm that matches theirs.

Given how well I thought they did the first installment, I not really expecting them to do anything worse. I'm looking foward to this overall new character.