Awoo.

Is there any good Sonic RPG fan-game?

RDNexus

Just as the title says, do you guys know of any Sonic RPG fan-game I could search to play?

I'm kinda curious about it...

None that I've seen. Then again I can only think of one that I've seen.

I guess you've played Chronicles? The big issue is finding a battle system that complements Sonic. Combat styles are always reinvented with new RPGs now, I don't think simple menu selection cuts it anymore. And of course you have to be careful with stories. I haven't seen too many Sonic RPGs worth looking at.

This fan made RPG looks pretty good
Looks pretty generic to me.

I imagine that's going to be the main problem with most fanmade Sonic RPGs; I'd bet nearly all of them are using some version of RPG Maker or something similar, so even the "good" ones are held back by the limited and generic system they're built on.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/284634

I just found this when searching for you, it's split into episodes which is... Weird, but it's finished and goes up to episode 8, just go to the guys page to episode to episode as you go. I haven't played it but I did glance and it seems to get better in quality and such the further in it goes, like the later episodes are clearly more well made than the earlier ones but see what happens if you stick with it and post some impressions or something.

Something not quite an RPG but similar in style I recall playing years ago is the Thirdscape/OMNI Khaos Series, which goes in this order:

Omni Khaos: http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=1&id=39

Thirdscape: http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=1&id=168

Thirdscape 2: http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=1&id=165

Thirdscape Christmas Special (...): http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=1&id=38

Hmn, I haven't kept up with this in a long time, lets see...

I got nothing. If this was asking some good fanmade RPGs I could direct you or some good free horror games, but Sonic RPGs...

If we want to start a community project or something I would be more than willing to help but there could be shitstorms over that and it would need time, people, and commitment to actually get work done so unless it was full of some reliable people that likely wouldn't be able to pull through, but be an interesting fun project to work with a team on (coughcoughnottryingtostartanythingcoughcough)

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Ahh the long running quest to make a decent Sonic RPG!

Long story short: there isn't a good Sonic RPG.

Bioware made an okay effort with Chronicles, It's not really awful, just very mediocre and rather short. But unlike a lot of fangames it actually has an ending. A ton of fans have tried to make an RPG, and a lot of people bottle out quite early on or they fail utterly in the story department.

The closest the Sonic series ever got to a good RPG is Sonic Adventure and Unleashed with it's large maps and NPC's to talk to. Try one of those instead

I have all of official games, what I'm looking for is a fanmade one.

I think I had seen something of the likes before, but my memory fails when I need it and can't remember the names of those games, so I thought any of you knew about it...

Yeah the battle system ruins any attempt at a decent fan RPG, that and fans tend to make the storyline ridiculous with no real flow.

Something like Paper Mario with more Sonicy platforming elements would work perfectly for a Sonic RPG. Sadly nobody seems to have realised that though...

• Thumbs Up 1

Bioware made an okay effort with Chronicles, It's not really awful, just very mediocre and rather short.

I actually quite like Sonic Chronicles for the most part. I forget what it is about the game that I dislike, though. I think it's the fact that I feel very underpowered for the part of the game I'm in.

Something like Paper Mario with more Sonicy platforming elements would work perfectly for a Sonic RPG. Sadly nobody seems to have realised that though...
I realized that! I've been kicking around an idea for a Sonic RPG based on Paper Mario sort of gameplay for a while now. Now, if only I could actually make a game...

• 5 weeks later...

maybe the only way a sonic rpg could work is for it to be like...semi live action rpg. Just try to cover up the turn based system as best you can.

Edited by Dejablue

Sonic Chronicles was basically an officially licensed and professionally produced RPG fangame, complete with all of the frustratingly generic battle mechanics, annoyingly over-present new characters and ridiculous storyline features that everyone's come to expect from such a title. Of course, if you enjoy that form of unforgivably dull, run-of-the-mill, pretentious RPG garbage then you should run along, leave the Sonic franchise alone with those who care for quality forever and go play one of BioWare's other, slightly less worthlessly tedious games in the same genre; namely Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

If, however, you think that I'm being thoughtless in my slating criticisms, and that you disagree with me, I'd like you to picture the same uncharismatic BioWare trash, only even more dumbed down and monotonous, with even less charm, a budget of zero, and made with unprofessional tools by unprofessional individuals.

Welcome to the Sonic RPG fangame. I sincerely hope that you enjoy your stay.

EDIT: As it turns out, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance wasn't even created by BioWare, but by a third-party studio, and produced by their publisher. It turns out, then, that BioWare - despite being, first and foremost, an RPG studio - can't make a decent and exciting RPG for love nor money. And such a great decision it was for SEGA to employ their services despite this!

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

What if it was an RPG with Kingdom Heart Battle Mechanics? Or what other Rp's there are where characters aren't standing still but can energetically run around the battle field. Anything that at least gives you freedom of movement would be welcome. Meaning the game could never be on a handheld ever again. The moment I saw that Chronicles was going to be on the DS I knew it was going to be gimped somehow.

Sonic RPG + crippling limitations of the DS = bad visual presentation.

But I'd could forgive everything for a good story. I really would.

Edited by Dejablue

That looks a little better. I still say A sonic game would thrive on a console much easier.

Lol Sonic RPGs should be made by Nintendo. I wouldn't trust Square Enix

Or maybe Sega themselves. They've made RPG's. Good ones.

Edited by Dejablue

• 5 years later...

I realized that! I've been kicking around an idea for a Sonic RPG based on Paper Mario sort of gameplay for a while now. Now, if only I could actually make a game...

Just use RPG Maker, I know you said it results in games being "held back" and "generic", but the tools are there to avoid that problem, it's just that 80% of people are lazy and just use the in-built stuff to make a painfully generic game.

With the sheer amount of external "scripts" and the coding side of it, you can pretty much do anything and make a game that no one would suspect used RPG Maker.

• 1 month later...

I've had roughly the same idea with my version with my idea consisting of using bits and pieces from the archie sonic comics and the sonic games basically have the plot basically go along the lines of eggman attacks new Mobotropolis with the death egg freedom fighters defend the city (insert possible tutorial gameplay during this event) freedom fighters get scattered across the world "map" start up as sonic make your way back to new mobotropolis (the death egg will have left the area for reason I still have to come up with) gotta go to 7 different locations and that's roughly it as far as I've come up with for stuff

This fan game was made by a friend of mine, it is not quite an RPG, but it was made in RPG Maker.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1sqkr9of7yczxg6/SL2v0.02.rar

If you understand Portuguese, you can see the original topic in another Fórum

www.powersonic.com.br/forum/index.php?/topic/360-fangame-sonic-3d-agora-é-sonic-labyrinth-2/

it's just that 80% of people are lazy and just use the in-built stuff to make a painfully generic game.

This. There are a lot of RPGMaker games out there that use the RTP (The default set of files) way too much and it gets stale to see the same stuff used over and over. Combined with horrendous map design and bad spelling, it's probably what gives RPGMaker a bad name.

In terms of Sonic fangames, there's barely any of variety in the games I've seen out there. They're almost always named "Sonic RPG" or something similar and have the same issues between them.

I'd love to be able to make a competent Sonic RPG, but there's a bad lack of resources without someone willing to draw the graphics of the entire game. There's only one set of sprites out there designed for RPGs and not only are they now outdated in terms of RPGMaker MV's new resolution but they never looked that good in RPGMaker to me in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's kind of the problem, is that fan-made RPG's always kind of always follow the generic JRPG template. Not only that, but... Well, most people in the fandom are definitely not good writers. They mean well, but they can't really write well. I mean, I can think of a few writers on Fanfiction.net that I like, but the problem is, is that a lot of these guys barely interact with the fandom.

• Thumbs Up 1

When my sisters and I were younger, we loved Chaotix of Tomorrow. In retrospect, erm...well, it had a really fun storyline (one that made reference to Sonic the Comic and obscure classic Sonic games if that's your thing!), but most of the battle strategy consisted of just using your strongest attack and healing strategically, so I guess it really didn't have the most complex gameplay :P . Sonic himself only appeared in a cameo at the end. Hilariously, at one point the game pokes fun at "Atchi Comics" and "Nek Spenders"...and this long before Penders gained the infamy he has today.

Magnus Andersson, the creator of Chaotix of Tomorrow, also created a sequel of sorts called Twisted Mettle...but although Chaotix of Tomorrow was mostly based on the games with a little smidgen of Sonic the Comic, Twisted Mettle was heavily based on SatAM and classic Archie Sonic (with some games material and other stuff incorporated). We liked it too, but not as much. He tried to make the gameplay center around battles less and include some special features like earning money through jobs, but I can't say it was particularly well-implemented. (Hilariously, he even implemented "fishing" using the battle system. The results are...interesting.) Also, maybe it's our fault for grinding way too much, but the bosses seemed too easy to us to the most part...he probably should've made it harder to grind :P 

I would probably still have a huge soft spot for both games if I played them again, and if you're a fan of the Chaotix (both their classic and modern interpretations since CoT combines the two) you might want to check it out (and Twisted Mettle if you like SatAM I suppose). But don't expect them to really be "great" or anything.

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 years later...