Awoo.

DS version is obviously......

MrROBOTO1988

.....Sonic Rush 3. It's so apparent I doubt any of you smart and sensible people would deny the fact that it looks and tastes just like a Sonic Rush sequel would and should.

My point:

Does anybody mind? Of the upcoming Sonic games, I am mainly interested in Sonic 4, because I do not own a DS or a Wii (although Sonic Colors and the new Zelda game might be enough inspiration for me to get one). And in the Sonic 4 threads, there was a hot topic not too long ago about how Sonic 4 is really Sonic Rush 3, and how that was such a terrible thing. First off, I would like to point out that Sonic 4 is and never was Sonic Rush 3, but that should be EVER MORE APPARENT now that Colors has been shown. Secondly, is everybody going to be writing off the DS version of Colors now too? Because all people mention about Rush up in the Sonic 4 threads is how terrible it is, so I'm just curious if that same negativity is here about the DS Colors game too.

Discuss!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't really mind that Colors DS is Rush 3, since I thought the Rushes were some of the best games that Sonic has had. If they keep that same quality, style, and gameplay, I've got no reason to complain.

I'm more bothered that Rush 3 is Colors DS. That is, rather than getting another Rush with Blaze, Sol Emeralds, Eggman Nega, etc, we're getting one based on Eggman's space theme park and color aliens. I liked the stories, settings, and characters of the first two Rushes, and I was hoping to get another game with them.

And in the Sonic 4 threads, there was a hot topic not too long ago about how Sonic 4 is really Sonic Rush 3, and how that was such a terrible thing. First off, I would like to point out that Sonic 4 is and never was Sonic Rush 3, but that should be EVER MORE APPARENT now that Colors has been shown. Secondly, is everybody going to be writing off the DS version of Colors now too?

First off, I would like to

Secondly, I didn't like Rush or Rush Adventure. Boostboostboostboostboost PIT DEATH is not good level design, and yet it exists in abundance in both the Rushes.

So no, I'm not happy about the DS version at all. I'm seriously contemplating not buying it; and I bought Sonic Labyrinth, so that's a damning indictment indeed.

But Sonic Colors has no Blaze! It couldn't possibly be the third Rush. It'd be like if they made a fourth Riders game without Jet - it just wouldn't be right! It also doesn't have interdimensional shenanigans or Eggman Nega either.

Also from my understanding the boosting is Wisp-powered, rather than a boost gauge that you can just build up yourself by doing tricks or something. There'd actually be less boosting in this game straight from the get go.

So I really don't see it as being a third Rush myself.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2

Secondly, I didn't like Rush or Rush Adventure. Boostboostboostboostboost PIT DEATH is not good level design, and yet it exists in abundance in both the Rushes.

People say this, but I never died from a pit in either Rush games other than in the sky levels because... they're in the sky, obviously.

I think you just have bad reflexes.

• Thumbs Up 6

So no, I'm not happy about the DS version at all. I'm seriously contemplating not buying it; and I bought Sonic Labyrinth, so that's a damning indictment indeed.

NO Boost, NO 3D sections, NO tricks, NO grinding, NOT SONIC RUSH 3

now back to the main point of the topic, Sonic Colors for the DS is indeed a true spiritual successor to Sonic Rush and Rush Adventure and that doesn't make me upset or w/e. I'm actually looking forward to it seeing how I loved Rush and Rush Adventure. Sonic 4 definitely does not equal Rush 3, Sonic Colors DS however does.

Agreed. I hear this argument from the same people TOO often

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 2

First off, I would like to reject your reality and substitute my own.

I get it buddy, I've read your thread and I've seen you reference it again and again and again and again, however, I'm pretty confident in saying that a lot of people, myself included, find your arguments to be quite flawed in your thread. i.e.:

NO Boost, NO 3D sections, NO tricks, NO grinding, NOT SONIC RUSH 3

LunarEdge, you summed it up quite perfectly.

I actually laughed out loud at this.

Anywho, I guess it doesn't surprise me so far to see that the same people (person so far in this thread) that complained about Sonic 4 being Sonic Rush 3 are not happy about the DS version of Colors as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

To directly address the point, the whole "Sonic 4 is Rush 3" thing was really only a problem because the game in question was Sonic 4, which is supposed to be a classic revival and not a continuation of the Rush series' mechanics. People who saw a little too much Rush in Sonic 4 were unhappy that Sonic Team was corrupting classic series, not that the Rush series was being continued at all. It was all in the name, basically.

It is a bit of a pity that Blaze's main source for appearances has been superceded by a handheld version of a console game. That said, I think basing the handheld version of Colours on the Rush games only makes sense. The console version is very similar to Unleashed's day stages, after all, which are themselves based on... well, Rush. It's not like this is way out of the blue or anything.

Hmph. I concur on the first Rush's overabundance of instant-death pits (Altitude Limit is pain), but Rush Adventure had about four of the things.

No getting clever on me and actually counting the pits, you bastard. I know what you Retro folks are like.

As much as I'll defend the Rushes as good games, I can't deny that there are too many pits in the first game. The second game is fine tho' so I don't know what he's talking about there.

I for one think complaining about death pits in a platforming series is rather trivial in itself, but that’s just me.

As for colors, I could see why it is being compared to a Rush 3. It may not hold all of the same mechanics or shenanigans, but it’s close enough to draw a relatively parallel line. I don’t have a problem with Colors DS going in that direction (I too heap high praise on the Rush franchise). If given the option, I would probably choose a real Rush 3 over Colors, for the known commodity element as well as the insured inclusion of Blaze and the Sol emeralds (which are fascinating to me).

I can live with Colors though. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed that Sonic Rush 3D will be announced as an Anniversary game. The series deserves that tagline IMO.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I actually laughed out loud at this.

Ditto. XD

It doesn't bother me too much, really. I mean, there are only a few places you can take the style on the DS as is stands. I didn't mind Rush as a series (definately did enjoy the first more than the second) so it can't be a bad thing at all!

Is Frozen always this angsty all the time? D:

I enjoyed the Rush games, but find they have less replayability than the classics, advances and most other 2D games in the series. Hopefully there'll be more to Colours DS, like they keep saying there is with Colours Wii.

Also the DS version is fucking ugly. It's funny how each game in the Advance/Rush series has gotten progressively worse graphically, and it seems Colours is no different.

You mean it wasn't obvious from day one that Colours DS was basically a different name for Rush 3? D:

Edited by Mahzes

Yes, we all know you think Sonic 4 is Sonic Rush 3, the topic doesn't really need any promoting. <_< Seriously. And if you die in a pit in the original Rush in any level other than Altitude Limit and Dead Line (which is supposed to kill you), you're not good at playing the game. And quite frankly, Altitude Limit is stupidly fun actually playing it a few times.

And if Colors DS is Sonic Rush 3 (which I was thinking as well) I'm getting it. I liked Rush, and I liked Rush Adventure even more! It'll be 35 bucks well wasted!

Rush and Rush Adventure are not really that bad IMO

It's true they do suffer annoying pit syndrome but in all fairness the game provides a billion lives so it doesn't harm your game generally. Considering most platformers will do worse to a player, it just makes Rush a little harder than an average Sonic game (granted unlike say, Mario, it's not a case of making it a challenge, its just occasionally bad enemy placement or you shouldn't of pressed right on that jump ect.)

Rush has a FANTASTIC soundtrack, the levels are generally good (the carnival level is maybe my biggest bugbear) and they add slightly different spins on Sonic & Blazes games. It's certainly not the best Sonic game but its by no means the worst too.

Rush Adventure is pretty okay, but I found the levels slightly...blander somehow. The story is good and the whole idea of exploring everywhere to find new levels is pretty neat but the actual gaming part left me a bit empty somehow. Maybe I need to give it another whirl

lol i can see this ending up with people making sig banners for "pro S4 = SR3" & "Pro SCDS = SR3".

*hint, hint*

lol i can see this ending up with people making sig banners for "pro S4 = SR3" & "Pro SCDS = SR3".

*hint, hint*

Your ideas are bad and you should feel bad.

Seriously that is a horrible idea. If anyone does this, I will loose all respect for you and punch you.

Mileage may vary aside, the main problem with people seeing Sonic 4 as a Rush 3 is, as mentioned earlier, Rush doesn't have that much in common with the Classics. While the Rushes aren't bad games in their own right by any means, if anything, I love 'em, it also had some bad design decisions that should never have migrated to Sonic 4. Except for one thing - they forgot to nerf the Homing Attack into uselessness again, bloody idiots. But in general, it really had aspects of Rush that really shouldn't be there in the first place.

The DS version of Colours, on the other hand, I'm perfectly fine with being a Rush clone, really, because, well, completely different circumstances. Lack of Blaze makes me a sad panda, though.

Has long as it has funky music I'm happy :3.

But in all seriousness, Sonic Colours might look and feel like Rush, it won't be Rush for they actually havn't named/set it in Rush's universe. I tend to look at the names (now adays) for what the story would be about rather than what "type" of game it will be. For example all the new age games (from Shadow onwards 'ere) usually name there titles somewhat closely to what the story is going to be all about, (Unleashed, SatBK, SatSR, Riders ect.)

Even though it most likey will play like Rush, I'm still going to treat it as a DS version of Colours and be happy playing something new. I mean seriously would Rush have levels where you bounce on giant jellies?

Although regards to Sonic 4, being Rush3? I disagree, I actually for once think Sega are trying something out here, trying to turn around the mistakes they've done. Yes, Sonic 4 might not live up in our eyes as what we thought a next gen 2D Sonic game would be, yes it won't please everyone, but my god, HD2D graphics, a new 2D console game. Yes yes yes. <3

The fact that Sonic Colors is Sonic Rush 3 actually really saddens me. It's not going to feel much like a Rush game without Blaze and the funky music and the dimension shenanigans. Turning Rush into a style of gameplay rather than a series of games makes me worry they're never going to continue the plot of Rush. I'm especially interested since SRA ended on an topic that I hoped would be explored further in a future game (sentience of the emeralds).

I'm now hoping for a real Sonic Rush 3(D).

• Thumbs Up 2

Rush games didn't have as much platforming as what I've seen in Colors. Rush games were purely based on speed which made the games a little less fun for me.

Colours DS looks like Rush in pictures, but as far as gameplay goes it's rather different. Like how Advance 2 and 3 look similar, but actually play fairly differently. They're alike in graphics and basic gameplay, but Colours DS is slower. There's more platforming.

Edited by Blue Blood