Awoo.

I don't get this subforum's name...

Pikachu in a Sombrero

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but why is the title of this subforum "Computer Games"? If it's about all games in general, shouldn't it be "Computer and Video Games"?

The title misled me, and I initially reacted with, "This thread doesn't have a general video game discussion subforum? Odd." Until I went here and found that there were Pokémon threads and the like and responded with, "WTF?"

Edited by ^DiZnEy^

Consoles are technically computers. Everything you play video games on is a computer. Thus computer games would indeed make sense.

Sonicstadium employs use of the british lexicon, hence the title computer games.

^This.

Also, it's a main forum, not a subforum :3

But yaeh, the point's already been made, everything you play games on, is a computer just with a fancy different name.

All consoles use Motherboards, DVD/Blu ray drives, Video Cards, sound cards, the lot. Just computers with a brand name on it.

Could always just not care about things that don't really matter

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Being the US-fag that I am I too was perplexed by the forum name of "computer games". I thought all discussion in here pertained to Team Fortress 2 and Minesweeper.

Video Games would make more sense to me, but whatever floats your boat I guess. I don't recall seeing anybody on the forums refer to the non-PC-exclusive video games that are featured on this board as "computer games" though. Sure, they are technically all computer games, but nobody really calls them that.

Over here in Britain, which this site originates, we've always called video games computer games no matter what platform they're on. Consoles are technically computers.

I would prefer it if they used a more universal term, since to most of us Americans "computer games" means "PC games".

Either way, it's really nitpicking. It doesn't matter what it's called.

Edited by The Soldier

Could always just not care about things that don't really matter

NUH-UH. This is totally important!

...Ok, it really isn't.

Yes, damn us Brits and our infernal differences in language :P

I see no problem with the forum name, but then again I wouldn't. I can see why some people might not be used to such a term but... eh, I don't think it's quite worth changing it. I tend to refer to games for the computer as "PC games", anyway, so no confusion for me.

We British invented the damn language, we exported it to the Americas and without us you'd all be speaking French, Spanish, German or Dutch, so we reserve the right when setting up forums to use our own version of the language in the forum and sub-forum headers.

When American English has diverged sufficiently to be considered a seperate language, if it ever is, maybe then you'll have a right to request more... internationally-flavoured forum headers.

• Thumbs Up 7

Forums description:

Rant and rave about your favourite or the latest computer games and consoles. We adhere to a strict 'No Fanboy' philosophy here.

I would prefer it if they used a more universal term, since to most of us Americans "computer games" means "PC games".

Damnit america!, the rest of the world doesn't have to bend to your will and adapt your butchered lexicon! LEXICON!

• Thumbs Up 2

When American English has diverged sufficiently to be considered a seperate language, if it ever is, maybe then you'll have a right to request more... internationally-flavoured forum headers.

Oh hey.

Keep in mind even spell-checks are completely region specific as well. English (U.K.) and English (U.S.) are listed as being entirely separate dictionaries. Just pop up the options window of Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc. and be amazed!

Damnit america!, the rest of the world doesn't have to bend to your will and adapt your butchered lexicon! LEXICON!

America's no. 1! America's no. 1! There is no second "i" in "aluminum"! Nor is there an "u" in "colors"! It's a theater! And they're French fries, not chips dammit!

AND SO THE SECOND REVOLUTIONARY WAR BEGINS.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

enjoy SSMB's worldly flavour

Flavour?

What is this word.

American English has some interesting words in it.

I learned the origin of the word soccer recently.

Association Football.

Edited by Dabnikz

American English has some interesting words in it.

Depends on your definition of "interesting"... :P

Though the dilemma of trying to explain the meaning of "pants" in England to an American is always hilarious.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be playing 1970s Pants Mode in SASASR.

There is no second "i" in "aluminum"! Nor is there an "u" in "colors"!

Flavour?

What is this word.

American babbys need an easier dialect with less letters 'cuz they can't handle the full language yet smiley_smug.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

The title "Computer Games" tricked me too in the start, but the description below it mentions "consoles" too, so there. ;>

I am not against modifying the title to "Computer/Video Games" if it would make everyone happy, though the current way it is does work for me.

This is feedback, although related to this section, I see it more fit to move it over to the Member Feedback / Bug Reports section.

YES IT DOES GOD DAMMIT

Anyway, my point isn't that it should be changed or different because the American users can't stand looking at terms they don't use- nor am I even saying that it should be changed AT ALL. It's just that it's confusing to some people.

We British invented the damn language, we exported it to the Americas and without us you'd all be speaking French, Spanish, German or Dutch, so we reserve the right when setting up forums to use our own version of the language in the forum and sub-forum headers.

Someone sounds like they're taking this a bit too seriously...

Imagine how confused I get when americans are talking about pants, and using chips in an incorrect context

• Thumbs Up 3

I think the "color" "colour" thing is mostly because of accents and such. If I try and say "colour", I say it like, "cull-UUer" but "color" is more "cull-er"

And honestly, you want words to look like they sound to a point in the end, so hey.

even though i'm pretty sure brits just slap u onto everything they can for the lulz.

also what the hell do you call some fucking lays? I can't imagine just calling fries chips and chips potato chips or whatever all the time. which is odd because i live in california and the law dictates that there must be at least seven fish and chip restaurants on every block on the coast and only one must be good.

Edited by Nathan Farnsworth