Awoo.

I don't get this subforum's name...

Pikachu in a Sombrero

Fuck that, they're Walker's not Lay's.

@ Nathan: We pronounce words like "colour" exactly the same as you do.

We pronounce it "cull-er". Just with a different accent ;P

Plus, I have never called them chips in my entire life. Chips are the things you get from a fast food place. Crisps are the dry snacks you have in a packet.

Crisps, crisps, crisps. :P

I don't understand why Walker's is called Lay's everywhere else (and vice versa)

I remember getting these cool cheese and onion Walker's from EPCOT, which they don't make in a Lay's variety, one time.

They weren't too good. Fucking brits.

America vs. Britain topic? I'm ok with this!

The term 'video games' doesn't make sense anyway, computer games have nothing to do with video besides you seeing them on a television. Pretty much like a lot of bullshit American language, like completely missing the point of the term "couldn't give a shit" and instead saying "could give a shit", which is extremely retarded. Hee hee XP.

It could be worse...

We could be a trousers appreciation society... then we'd all get confused when someone asked if we liked their fanny pack.

like completely missing the point of the term "couldn't give a shit" and instead saying "could give a shit"

The one that gets me (basically the same thing, really) is when people say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". I remember Buffy's mum saying it on BtVS one time and being astounded at how wide-spread that error was. If you COULD care less, then obviously you DO care at least somewhat, you dolt =P

But I've seen that being said here too, so I'm not so sure that it's an Americanism. More likely just a general ignorance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Americanism or not, whatever it is, it spreads throughout the world, not just America. What I feel is that most people outside the UK would associate "video games" with what British people associate with "computer games". Is this just me? Because I only ever speak English online, and this at least applies to me. The American variant is what seems international to me.

The American variant is what seems international to me.

Yet another reason to hate cultural imperialism.

Dammit.

I'm American and I instantly got that the "Computer Games" forum = "video games in general"

Really easy to understand and seeing how you don't see a "General Video Games" forum one can only put two and two together

Well pertaining to the language here....

In America, Haters gonna hate British wording and spelling.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Imagine how confused I get when americans are talking about pants, and using chips in an incorrect context

Well maybe you shouldn't have called underwear pants then? Underwear/undergarments makes more sense. >:|

Damn you English and Australians having your dumb names for things. This is AMURICA DAMNIT.

[/stereotypical American]

Seriously, though. I don't know how much any of this is based on us Americunts as it is Computer Games just being confusing when a lot of people, not just Americans, associate computer with the things we're typing on right now.

But I've seen that being said here too, so I'm not so sure that it's an Americanism. More likely just a general ignorance.

You're right. It isn't so much an American thing as a "I have no concept of language" thing. It's still "Couldn't Care Less" in American English.

Yet another reason to hate cultural imperialism.

Dammit.

Hey, you tried in the 1800's, you jerks! D:

Edited by Hero Of Fate

One thing I hate is when people say "same difference" instead of "same thing" IT MAKES NO SENSE. But, I don't think that has anything to do with BE vs AE

And, even though I am supposed to be learning british english in school, I don't listen because I grew up speaking (american) english anyways, but what the difference in the word pants in the UK and US?

Oh, and rubber instead of eraser? Pffft!

Edited by MarcelloF

It was my understanding that fanny refers to the ass, unless the Brits have a different meaning for it. It's possible, I mean, we just went over pants.

Fanny does NOT refer to the ass in England. :| No siree.

Hero of Fate:

Well, according to the free dictionary:

fanny [ˈfænɪ]n pl -nies Slang

1. Taboo Brit the female genitals

2. Chiefly US and Canadian the buttocks

[perhaps from Fanny, pet name from Frances]

Usage: Despite the theory that this word derives from the name `Fanny', its use in British English is still considered taboo by many people, and is likely to cause offence. In the US the word refers to the buttocks. Serious misunderstanding may therefore arise when what people in Britain know as a `bumbag' is referred to in the US as a `fanny pack'

Edited by MarcelloF

Yep, fanny means vagina in Britain and not the ass. Another hilarious difference :lol:

I like the part where it says Fanny might be a pet name for Frances. I just have to imagine someone calling their son/brother/friend etc vagina xD

Yep, fanny means vagina in Britain and not the ass. Another hilarious difference :lol:

I do so wonder how the hell we came up with these things. I mean, it doesn't particularly scream ass/buttocks or vajayjay/vagina.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

It makes fannypack make more sense though, considering most people wear them round their front

It makes fannypack make more sense though, considering most people wear them round their front

Except, well... we call them 'bum bags'.